anyone see the sun today?

timelord81r

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met John about half a dozen times between 2005 and 2009 and he's been as generous each time. He could have changed after Torchwood brought him much more fame but he's still a gentleman with his fans and makes every effort that he can. The last time I met him he actually recognised me from previous meetings, which is staggering considering how many people he meets all over the place.

He makes the effort when possible but he's only human so he might have an "off" moment or two - which I think can be forgiven considering how hard he works.

Whoever wrote that article just isn't in the real world and is seeing what they want to see for the purpose of a good story. Like most of tabloid hacks.

Again, really not worth the time of day.

Edited by Princess83

Someone had bought The Sun at work today so I flicked through it and was surprised to find a picture of the enjoyable event which I had attended the previous weekend. I thought I'd read the article to reminisce about the event. As has been previously mentioned, the article was horribly biased. I noticed that they chose to highlight Garrick Haggon's guest role in Doctor Who rather than mention his far more famous role as Biggs, Luke's best friend in Star Wars. Just goes to show that you can't trust what you read in the papers.

Relax folks - today's outrage, tomorrow's fish-and-chips wrapper. In the meantime, that looks like a page and a half of free publicity in the biggest-selling and most widely-read paper in the land. Shame it's rather sneering, but I doubt it'll be that detrimental. As others have said, people who won't pay for autographs wouldn't go anyway, and it might just spark an interest in those that would.

No doubt next week The Sun will be lauding "superfans" who are preparing to spend thousands of pounds to go to South Africa to watch England play a few games of footie. Nowt wrong with that, it'd be nice to see them be a bit more tolerant of other people's hobbies. And you'd also think The Sun might be pleased to see a large group of young people enjoying themselves in a peaceful manner that didn't involve mugging, knifing, car theft, or drinking until ones vomits or urinates all over a war memorial. Still, that'd be a boring story, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't bother e-mailing or writing to them in droves. At best they'll ignore you, at worst you'll get an article about "how we at The Sun have been deluged with angry letters from irate geeks and enraged Trekkies too sad to do anything else. The Sun says... get a life, saddoes!" Just ignore them.

If you take the time to talk to someone they talk back to you, that's what Mr Lowe didn't know, if he smiled politely to John what on earth was he expecting John to comment on the weather? I did speak to him albeit briefly cos I had nothing worth saying. And as for a Torchwood fan he should have noticed there was another main cast member there in the wonderful shape of Gareth David-Lloyd and a support main cast member in Kai Owen, both of whom were wonderful with their time neither minded me going up time and again just to chat and drop off alcohol.

On to the cost, I can see where he's coming from. CM:MK costs are free whilst this one is £10 early bird and £5 post 11am. I ended up spending £115 I'm just a Kai photo/auto off a Hub ticket! Last year John was only £15 each in the current climate it makes all the difference and yes I know I could have gotten things signed for free after La Cage but I for one hate to do the stage door without having been in the show. Saying this I managed to get 5 things signed this week, my cutout, a John/Jack picture already with James's auto, tour DVD, TW S1 DVD and DW S1 DVD. I'm also not central to London to do the stage door every time I want an auto.

I had to get an extra photo with John in the morning because I knew the later one would be busy, as I wanted my cutout in the shot I had to buy him a ticket!! This is one of the miffs that peeved me the whole weekend but stalking Kai and Gareth more then made up for it they even did a double photo with me which is worth all £40 I spent on John's shoots.

Now.. onto the fact John Barrowman's photo slots were sold out. IF he had bothered to research further into the event and checked their website, he would have found if he was that desperate to book a photo opportunity he could have done so online in advance. Not that I would have bothered because if David Lowe had bothered to look into past events he would have found out that John Barrowman is a notorious bigot who whenever he does attend these events does not care about his fans, thank god I'm not one of them, and spends more time having "breaks" than actually signing. So more fool him for thinking his idol would spare some lowly "journalist" some time.

I hope this was a joke, because if Barrowman didn't care about his fans he wouldn't have spent so much time after virtually every performance of La Cage signing for free for the hordes for fans that were there, even when he had 2 shows a day to perform. And if someone spends more time taking breaks than signing, how the hell does he get through so many autographs at Conventions?.

John is the furthest thing from a 'bigot' that you could find!! He is consistently wonderful with his fans as mentioned above. I hope you were joking...

From the two times he's been at an event that was the impression we got from him and a friend who was with us that loves the man to pieces says the same. Granted last Sunday he seemed a lot better but when he was at Milton Keynes he was late, must have been signing for 2~3 hours max because he kept taking breaks and then left early too and didn't acknowledge our friend even speaking to him when he went to get his autograph. So that opinion is based on the times we've seen him but if he's been a lot nicer other times than I'd much prefer to think of him like that so I'll make sure I tell my friend your account as he seems to have lost all faith in John Barrowman.

My father showed me the article this morning - and, well... I'm one of the people that the guy from The Sun interviewed on Sunday!

'Antony Southall has travelled 200 miles to see [Robert Englund].

"I've budgeted around £60 for autographs. It is expensive. If you've taken the time to come, they should at least have a short chat.'

Hmm... Not quite what I said... And I was a tad disappointed to see this comment from one forum user...

"One thing that really got me was some of the ignorant and whiny comments they got from people attending the event. Complaining about how they didn't get to have a photo with someone because they couldn't get the tickets. Photo shoot tickets for popular guests sell out fast. Complaining that they didn't get to chat with the guests. Popular guests have to sign quickly, or they won't get to see as many people and you end up with even more people whining. Some guests are just in too much demand for them to stop and pretend that you're the centre of the universe. I can't stand people who are so selfish."

Speaking on my own behalf I'd like to point out that the supposed quote I made has been taken out of context. I actually said that some of my friends argue the event is expensive, but when you're a fan of the guests at the event you don't mind paying for such a great opportunity.

As for saying 'If you've taken the time to come, they should at least have a short chat', again, I actually said something along the lines of 'if you've taken the time to come a long way, it's nice when you are able to have a short chat too' - funny how the slightest omission from a sentence can make it sound so different!

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I had the greatest time over the weekend, meeting people such as Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp and George Takei - see the thread I started on meeting George! As for those people quoted in the article, perhaps don't be so hard on them, especially if their quote has been tweaked to match the rather demeaning tone of the article!

I agree with what another poster wrote about the tone of the article implying you either "get" these events or you don't. I'm sure one article in The Sun isn't going to stop any of us returning to future events - if anything, it might just enlighten a few more people that hadn't previously heard of Showmasters' good work!

Now.. onto the fact John Barrowman's photo slots were sold out. IF he had bothered to research further into the event and checked their website, he would have found if he was that desperate to book a photo opportunity he could have done so online in advance. Not that I would have bothered because if David Lowe had bothered to look into past events he would have found out that John Barrowman is a notorious bigot who whenever he does attend these events does not care about his fans, thank god I'm not one of them, and spends more time having "breaks" than actually signing. So more fool him for thinking his idol would spare some lowly "journalist" some time.

I hope this was a joke, because if Barrowman didn't care about his fans he wouldn't have spent so much time after virtually every performance of La Cage signing for free for the hordes for fans that were there, even when he had 2 shows a day to perform. And if someone spends more time taking breaks than signing, how the hell does he get through so many autographs at Conventions?.

John is the furthest thing from a 'bigot' that you could find!! He is consistently wonderful with his fans as mentioned above. I hope you were joking...

From the two times he's been at an event that was the impression we got from him and a friend who was with us that loves the man to pieces says the same. Granted last Sunday he seemed a lot better but when he was at Milton Keynes he was late, must have been signing for 2~3 hours max because he kept taking breaks and then left early too and didn't acknowledge our friend even speaking to him when he went to get his autograph. So that opinion is based on the times we've seen him but if he's been a lot nicer other times than I'd much prefer to think of him like that so I'll make sure I tell my friend your account as he seems to have lost all faith in John Barrowman.

Do you really mean 'bigot'? If so, I can't believe anyone would use that word to describe JB, it just doesn't fit with anything I've ever seen or heard before.

Do you mean he came across as stand offish and ignorant?

Or do you mean that he is 'obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his own opinions and prejudices.' (Wikipedia reference there)? That's what a Bigot is, and if he didn't even talk to you or your friend, how would you know this?!

I don't think either of these things by the way, but I do think if you're going to throw something like that out there you need to make sure you actaully mean what you're saying.

My step father showed me this! they certainly slag it off a bit :/ i agree some people are expensive and it was a shame no photos at the table as some people went to meet them and didnt have a lot of money like myself and was dissapoited not even a photo while they are signing at the table....

Just seen this on the Sun's website and to be honest I'm quite disappointed that the event has been taken out of context and that the Sun has painted it in a bad light. Yeah fair enough you can see where they are coming from but we as fans know that ost gets are very happy to chat to you etc. and if they are not bus they'll have a photo with you over the table. If people explain the event to others that aren't aware of cons then generally you'll find that people understand more why people go to the events

Urgh just kept reading through it thinking you so do not understand where this event is coming from.

I didn't go to Collectormania MK, but, out of curiosity, I just looked back at the Barrowman thread on its forum , and, yes someone wasn't happy at all, but its also very clear from the responses there that Barrowman signed over 1000 autos that day, and had an open queue just before 5pm so he was still there then! (and one thing the Sun article does make clear is that showmasters fully expected John to get through 1000 autos at Olympia because he had done it before, when the reporter asked "if John is likely to get through the 1,000 or so people hoping for an autograph" the reply was "Yes, we've had him before and he gets through a silly amount. We're open until 5pm and John signs until the end." )

So whatever your perceptions of the event, it looks like Barrowman did spend a lot of time there, and saw huge number of people.

I'm not saying your friend didn't have a bad experience at MK (after all everyone has an off moment occssionally), but every time I've met Barrowman (and I have on numerous occassions ), he's been very pleasant; if he hadn't been I doubt I would have spent so much money going to see him in various things over the last 3 years!

Edited by mjocovers

There was a bit on Real Radio south wales this morning about the event, im guessing though they must have seen the sun's article as they were going on mostly about John B's prices and such, but didnt really seem to be slagging off.

Thought it was wierd though to hear the event mentioned on a south wales radio station!

From autographs, entry fee, photoshoots and merch I got from COLLECTORMANIA LONDON, I spent around £680 that lone Saturday.

And I would gladly give that amount again to Showmasters, the awesome guests they get for us and all the guys at the merchandise stalls then flog over 30p to a newspaper which slams the event because their journalist is crying like a little baby over John Barrowman.

I was CM-MK. Your "account" of this is totally untrue. I can't vouch for the time John arrived, but he did a photoshoot with 600+ people and apart from lunch he sat and signed, and signed, and signed. I was there early, got a low VT number, and had a chat with him (albeit brief) while he signed personalised autographs. A friend who arrived later had a ticket in the 800s, and still got an autograph in the middle of the afternoon, and a chat/smile from John. I was told by a crew member that they had given out 1000+ VTs for John. At the end of the day, and yes, he did stay all day, he went open queue, so everyone who wanted an autograph got one. What do you and your friend expect? A long discussion about philosophy? You, or your friend, went for an autograph. You got an autograph. That's what it says on the tin. Stop comlaining.

If you take the time to talk to someone they talk back to you, that's what Mr Lowe didn't know, if he smiled politely to John what on earth was he expecting John to comment on the weather? I did speak to him albeit briefly cos I had nothing worth saying. And as for a Torchwood fan he should have noticed there was another main cast member there in the wonderful shape of Gareth David-Lloyd and a support main cast member in Kai Owen, both of whom were wonderful with their time neither minded me going up time and again just to chat and drop off alcohol.

On to the cost, I can see where he's coming from. CM:MK costs are free whilst this one is £10 early bird and £5 post 11am. I ended up spending £115 I'm just a Kai photo/auto off a Hub ticket! Last year John was only £15 each in the current climate it makes all the difference and yes I know I could have gotten things signed for free after La Cage but I for one hate to do the stage door without having been in the show. Saying this I managed to get 5 things signed this week, my cutout, a John/Jack picture already with James's auto, tour DVD, TW S1 DVD and DW S1 DVD. I'm also not central to London to do the stage door every time I want an auto.

I had to get an extra photo with John in the morning because I knew the later one would be busy, as I wanted my cutout in the shot I had to buy him a ticket!! This is one of the miffs that peeved me the whole weekend but stalking Kai and Gareth more then made up for it they even did a double photo with me which is worth all £40 I spent on John's shoots.

As you're the person who was bragging here about taking photos of John signing even though he had clearly asked for NO PHOTOS, I don't think you have anything to complain about.

I read the article from my bed in hospital (just got out today) and I gotta say, I must have laughed like a lunatic for about 20 minutes because I could just imagine what this place would be like: "how dare that RAG say such things! I will NEVER read that paper again! I have half a mind to write to the editor!" Get a grip. Who cares?

BUT...

To their credit, many people have been pretty reasonable towards the article, however a couple of posts are inintentional comedy GOLD. So thanks for making a sick guy smile.

I may just make "I've just read it!!! what a pile a cack!!!!! I have never EVER read so much rubbish in my life!!!!" my new sig. That one just about caused a nuclear lolocaust.

On that, my personal favourite has been comments of boycotting the paper. I shall never buy this again... and such.

I'm sure the Sun editor will cry a river over selling four less copies.

As has been said through the thread, no one's going to give a rats hat. A paper like the sun will never give an event like this anything other than pointing and laughing at anyone who's primary topic of conversation is not X Factor and football.

It's like Kerrang slating JLS. It doesn't effect anyone with a brain who will continue to buy tickets, and I'm sure a few closet geeks are now aware of an event they likely never heard of.

Edited by ComwWhite

hmmm...I did recall on Sunday when I was doing the ticket selling, that some people came up asking for press passes- not sure they got them- maybe it was him, and he was bitter about not getting a press pass? :(

going to put in my 2pence worth.....

From reading the article it sounds like the guy didnt want to go in the first place and had no intention of enjoying himself. A 2 page spread seems alittle extreme for an article to complain like that, but like Jason said, it would have cost SM ALOT of money for that sort of advertising so thankyou to the sun for informing people there are events out there for fans to go to :(

I'm still unsure who the article is aimed at. If you're a fan and attend these type of events then you're unlikely to care about the article or agree with it, as most of the comments here prove.

If you don't attend then why would you be interested about something you have no interest in?

It just seems to be an almost bullying style article, looking down on those attend. and ridiculing them but I can't see who benefits from this article and why it was published. It does seem however that The SUn does this alot, they did the same at Autographica earlier in the year, had a reporter go (who I remember serving for one of the guests), she got quite a few autographs and attended the party and then wrote an article complaining. Same as this article, the reporter got a lot of stuff (photos/autos) probably paid for by the Sun and still complains. I think they probably personally enjoy the show but are told to write an article insulting the show, not becasuse they don;t like the show but in this celebraty culture they have to be seen putting the celebrities down.

However from a SM point of view it can only be a good thing because, as Jason said, it gets the name out there.

i was a little bit annoyed at the fact that i was named in the artical but have to admit found it rather amusing as i remember this "person" talking to me on sunday.

he spent alot of time trying to get information out of me and, really, that was the best he could do. a ridiculously bad miss quote.....you have to laugh...x

katiexx

Edited by nurrti

What a load of s***.

I had a great time at CML, not the best, admittedly, but a great time. Ive never gone away from an SM event thinking "What a waste of time!!" and that includes driving 2 hours SOLELY for 1 auto from George Romero!!! A look round the dealers and a McDs, and I was quite happy! The best feeling, from a show anyway (!) I got was driving away from LFCC 08 was it? John Landis, Tom Savini and Brad Dourif etc.

Some people will NEVER get events like this. EVER. And no matter what you do, you will never convince them otherwise. I love them, SM or otherwise, and spend half my time planning the next one.

If it wasnt for shows like this, I would NEVER have met the people from the films that I love. Or got the stuff signed that I have. Im looking at some of it now with a tear in my eye and a lump in my trouser!!!

I must admit, im glad im a horror fan, because eventually you will get 90% of people do a show. My deepest sympathies do go out to SW fans, pulling their hair out because they only need George Lucas and Harrison Ford to complete their New Hope Quad. (I need Johnny Depp x 4 on my NOES posters, so I share your pain!!!)

Bollocks to the Sun. They aint got a f***ing clue.

If you don't care what the 'Sun' says why bother to comment on it. Its not out of character for them to rubbish peoples fun, Why let the 'Sun' article get under your skin. let it go, treat it as a bit of fun.We like our hobby so the jokes on them and if you enjoyed the show who cares.

I think they probably personally enjoy the show but are told to write an article insulting the show, not becasuse they don;t like the show but in this celebraty culture they have to be seen putting the celebrities down.

I've seen the celebrity culture thing a few times in this thread. Do people really think thats the reason?

Now before I say this, keep in mind I go to these things, have autographs aplenty in my hallway, will likely be receiving sci-fi toys for Christmas and have a closet full of costume...

...but seriously, take a look around you next time you're at one of these events. Yes, there are good, cool and nice people there. But a lot of people fit, or seem to fit, the stereotypical basement dwellers who had no friends in high school and are still a little 'off', drifting into their own fantasy world.

We're not exactly the social elite, are we? No. We're a bunch of geeks getting together with another bunch of geeks to do something substantially geeky, spend money on geeky merch and activities and general geeking out.

The day where something like the Sun doesn't trash such a thing will be a very scary day indeed.