My first ET convention what should I expect?

justme1

Wow, well, thats cheap.. in Vancouver I have to pay 40 Dollars.. Oo

Well, have a gold ticket, but you can only get 1 photo of each guest with it.. soooo... i think i really should buy a few ones in Birmingham :) Thanks!!!

Edited by scar!

my first convention ever was ET2 and I went alone for the whole event but here a couple of tips:

throught this forums or through twilightmoms forum you can start making friends that have all the same interest: twilight! I've made loads of digital friendships that i've met for the 1st time at et2 in real life and they became really friends i'm fond of. Had a great time.

I was gold and my forum friends were standard or silver so we had different schedules most of times, but as many have said it already including Too tall ( a really tall guy but very sweet and professional) you are never alone. Just start talking with the one before or after you in the queue 'cause everyone is waiting short for his turn.

don't worry about what to say, you have a common interest/love twilight world. and you even might make new friends even from out of the uk as there are belgians (me!), french, germans, scandinavian, spanish people attending it.

Now I'm going to et3 standard because i've doubted a lot due to the dates and i'm planning on going to et4 as a gold for the full fun.

this will be a major experience and i'm counting down to it!!!

maybe we'll see each other there :)

xxx

my first convention ever was ET2 and I went alone for the whole event but here a couple of tips:

throught this forums or through twilightmoms forum you can start making friends that have all the same interest: twilight! I've made loads of digital friendships that i've met for the 1st time at et2 in real life and they became really friends i'm fond of. Had a great time.

I was gold and my forum friends were standard or silver so we had different schedules most of times, but as many have said it already including Too tall ( a really tall guy but very sweet and professional) you are never alone. Just start talking with the one before or after you in the queue 'cause everyone is waiting short for his turn.

don't worry about what to say, you have a common interest/love twilight world. and you even might make new friends even from out of the uk as there are belgians (me!), french, germans, scandinavian, spanish people attending it.

Now I'm going to et3 standard because i've doubted a lot due to the dates and i'm planning on going to et4 as a gold for the full fun.

this will be a major experience and i'm counting down to it!!!

maybe we'll see each other there :)

xxx

Thanks Ruthy, that's really helpful.

Everyone has been really helpful. I am so excited and can hardly wait.

I'm still a little nervous but can't wait to meet new people. It will be great to meet you all.

• Showmasters Admin

One big one....

Remember it's meant to be fun, SMILE :WINCE: We do everything we can to keep it that way. If at anytime it's not then tell us. We will try and help, but what we don't know about we can't help with ;)

• 1 month later...

Seriously you're gonna have a great time everyone is really friendly and even if you're going alone (which I did to ET my first con) you make friends in no time and all the friends I've made I am still in contect with and they're all brilliant. You're going to have an amazing time at ET3! Don't be scared of the guests they don't bite say something to them when getting your autograph signed at my first ET all I did was mumble thank you and stumble away but by LFCC and ET2 it was easier to have a bit banter with the guests so even if you just say something and you might get a bit of a conversation out of them. I know you're nervous but you honestly have nothing to be nervous about!

Well errrm I dunno I usually blurt out whatevers on my mind ask them how they're finding the weekend or maybe if you've seen them in something other than Twilight tell them how much you enjoyed that (i.e Christopher Heyerdahl was in Stargate Atlantis <3) orrrrr maybe they did something notable at the con like Rachelle went on the sheep and I was like omg I went on that sheep it's so much harder than it looks and hello conversation! :thumbup:

Help!!

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere... if it has, sorry! just blame it on me being blonde :lol:

It says earlier in this thread that the opening ceremony starts at 7:00pm, does that mean that everyone has to be arrived and registered by then??

I'm not sure how early I'll be able to get out of work & then I have to travel from South Wales :D

The opening ceremony tends to start at 7 but you won't miss much if you can't make it just the guests being introduced then taken away and Jason and the crew talk to us and tell us how awesome we are (which is nice granted) but you really don't miss anything. I'm sure on another thread I saw the reg desk was open til about 8 and theres really not gonna be much of a queue at that time and they'll have less passes to go through to find yours. And again I'm sure I read in another thread that if you miss the reg desk and just have to go straight to the party as long as you have your reg letter on you you'll be fine :)

A mod will probably be along at a more reasonable hour to confirm or deny what I said :)

Ok, so I've just booked my standard ticket to ET3 yesterday. And I am extremely excited.

I've been to LFCC AND Collectormania this year, but ET3 will be my first weekend convention.

I'm a little bit nervous as I will be going on my own :D Although my husband and kids are coming to Birmingham with me I'm the only one with a ET3 ticket.

I just wondered what I should expect, if the party's are worth going to etc.

This will be my second ET but ill be on my own too this time, but im not really too worried as when me and my friends were at the last one everyone was really friendly! :lol: Every line we were waiting in for autographs/photos we got talking to people and even sat in the guest talks too!

I guess we all have one big interest in common :D

Edited by TeamQuil

• Showmasters Admin

It says earlier in this thread that the opening ceremony starts at 7:00pm, does that mean that everyone has to be arrived and registered by then??

Jazz is correct. You do NOT HAVE to be at the opening ceremony.

The reg desk will be open until at least 8pm, usually 8:30pm and if you do miss it, just bring your reg letter with you to the party.

• 4 weeks later...

Since it'll be my first ET convention too, I'm going to ask some question here... :(

Hum... First is about the guest encounters. How does it work? I heard it was like auction but when and where do ou say how much you are willing to pay? And if you win it when do you pay?

Second is about the shoots... I'm going with a Silver pass.

For example, if I took my shoot with a guest on Saturday and I want to have an extra shoot on Sunday, at which time can I get it? There will be time for people who wants extra shoots?

And I'm going with 2 friends and we don't really understand how it works on Friday for the registration. If I can read correctly ( :D ), we have to bring with us the letter? And when do we have our pass number?

(Sorry if it isn't understandable, I'm French... :wub: )

1: Guest Encounters: These are a 45 minute chat (with coffee/tea/biscuits) with 12 attendees and one guest and can be won in one of two ways:

A: Raffle tickets: 2 places in each Guest Encounter will be raffled off. Tickets can be bought at the reg desk. The winners will be announced at the same time as the auction winners. There is no limit to the number of tickets you can buy or the number of Encounters or places you can win.

B: Auction sheets: 10 places in each Guest Encounter will the auctioned. This will work by bidding sheets being put up on the wall at the event. One sheet for each guest encounter. There is no limit to the number of Encounters you can win. If you have a winning bid on 2 sheets you will win both.

Attendees bid by putting their badge number and their bid on the sheet. At a specific time, which will be stated on the sheet (say 1pm), the sheets come down and the highest 10 bids win. But everyone pays the value of the 10th winning bid. All bids are visible to people bidding later. You can come back and up your bid if you want. But if you want to up your bid you have to add a new one to the bottom of the list, not change your previous bid. That way we know the order that the bids were placed.

So let's say 11 people bid with some people changing their bids, the sheet could look like this…

NUMBER - BID

G10----£200

G19----£5 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

ST301-£10

G59----£10

S1------£7 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

G19----£7 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

G19----£10

ST23---£17

ST162-£9 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

S75----£31

ST197-£8 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

S96----£27

S97----£35

ST162-£20

ST197-£20

S1-----£20

So once sorted into bid order (And ignoring previous bids from the same person) they look like this...

£200, £35, £31, £27, £20, £20, £20, £17, £10, £10, £10.

As the 10th highest bid is £10, all 8 people with a bid higher than £10 win, but only pay £10. Even the person that bid £200. As you will see 3 people have bid £10. But there are only 2 places left. So the first 2 people to bid £10 win. In this case ST301 and G59. This is the reason for re-adding your bid at the bottom and not just changing it. If G19 had just changed their bid on line 5 to £10 it would have appeared they were the first person to have bid £10 (i.e. before both ST301 and G59), where as in fact they were the last person to bid £10.

Although the ABOVE Auction system may change. We will be having a discussion about it over the Xmas break.

2: You usually have it at the same time. But if you wish to have the second one on the Sunday then you can go up at anytime.

3: You will be sent a leeter about 2 weeks before the event. This will have your pass number on it as well as other info you will need. You bring this letter and photo ID to the reg deska nd they will give you your pass and your reg pack (reg pack will contain your free 8x10s, your con book with the autograph vouchers on the back, and your photo vouchers, and maybe some goodies).

How much do the raffle tickets usually cost?

Since it'll be my first ET convention too, I'm going to ask some question here... :D

Hum... First is about the guest encounters. How does it work? I heard it was like auction but when and where do ou say how much you are willing to pay? And if you win it when do you pay?

Second is about the shoots... I'm going with a Silver pass.

For example, if I took my shoot with a guest on Saturday and I want to have an extra shoot on Sunday, at which time can I get it? There will be time for people who wants extra shoots?

And I'm going with 2 friends and we don't really understand how it works on Friday for the registration. If I can read correctly ( :YAHOO: ), we have to bring with us the letter? And when do we have our pass number?

(Sorry if it isn't understandable, I'm French... :D )

1: Guest Encounters: These are a 45 minute chat (with coffee/tea/biscuits) with 12 attendees and one guest and can be won in one of two ways:

A: Raffle tickets: 2 places in each Guest Encounter will be raffled off. Tickets can be bought at the reg desk. The winners will be announced at the same time as the auction winners. There is no limit to the number of tickets you can buy or the number of Encounters or places you can win.

B: Auction sheets: 10 places in each Guest Encounter will the auctioned. This will work by bidding sheets being put up on the wall at the event. One sheet for each guest encounter. There is no limit to the number of Encounters you can win. If you have a winning bid on 2 sheets you will win both.

Attendees bid by putting their badge number and their bid on the sheet. At a specific time, which will be stated on the sheet (say 1pm), the sheets come down and the highest 10 bids win. But everyone pays the value of the 10th winning bid. All bids are visible to people bidding later. You can come back and up your bid if you want. But if you want to up your bid you have to add a new one to the bottom of the list, not change your previous bid. That way we know the order that the bids were placed.

So let's say 11 people bid with some people changing their bids, the sheet could look like this…

NUMBER - BID

G10----£200

G19----£5 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

ST301-£10

G59----£10

S1------£7 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

G19----£7 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

G19----£10

ST23---£17

ST162-£9 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

S75----£31

ST197-£8 – IGNORED AS REBID BELOW

S96----£27

S97----£35

ST162-£20

ST197-£20

S1-----£20

So once sorted into bid order (And ignoring previous bids from the same person) they look like this...

£200, £35, £31, £27, £20, £20, £20, £17, £10, £10, £10.

As the 10th highest bid is £10, all 8 people with a bid higher than £10 win, but only pay £10. Even the person that bid £200. As you will see 3 people have bid £10. But there are only 2 places left. So the first 2 people to bid £10 win. In this case ST301 and G59. This is the reason for re-adding your bid at the bottom and not just changing it. If G19 had just changed their bid on line 5 to £10 it would have appeared they were the first person to have bid £10 (i.e. before both ST301 and G59), where as in fact they were the last person to bid £10.

Although the ABOVE Auction system may change. We will be having a discussion about it over the Xmas break.

2: You usually have it at the same time. But if you wish to have the second one on the Sunday then you can go up at anytime.

3: You will be sent a leeter about 2 weeks before the event. This will have your pass number on it as well as other info you will need. You bring this letter and photo ID to the reg deska nd they will give you your pass and your reg pack (reg pack will contain your free 8x10s, your con book with the autograph vouchers on the back, and your photo vouchers, and maybe some goodies).

How much do the raffle tickets usually cost?

£5 a strip i heard :YAHOO: