A Small Criticism

Stenun

I've been to a couple of Showmaster's events now and have had a great time at each, meeting many fine people - both guests and the crowd - and getting many fine memories.

But ...

I have noticed that the stalls are ... well ... usually quite same-y. Oh sure, there are differences here and there but on the whole they're all quite similar. I understand that Twilight and Doctor Who and Transformers are the big things currently and therefore will be the majority of merchandise but I also think a lot of people - my friends and I included - go to these events for a chance to get hold of some rarer Collectables and collector's items.

One stall had Twilight Coasters. Another had Twilight Tshirts. The next one had Transformers mugs. The next one had signed photos from the cast of Transformers and Twilight. etc.

It would be nice to see some variety. Most of what was on sale I can get at Forbidden Planet or even my local comic shop. I would have thought that a big event such as Collectormania would be the ideal opportunity to find some rarer merchandise, some older merchandise, some more obscure merchandise. There was a little, but not much more than I saw at a small fanclub-ran Con in Norwich last month.

I've been to a couple of Showmaster's events now and have had a great time at each, meeting many fine people - both guests and the crowd - and getting many fine memories.

But ...

I have noticed that the stalls are ... well ... usually quite same-y. Oh sure, there are differences here and there but on the whole they're all quite similar. I understand that Twilight and Doctor Who and Transformers are the big things currently and therefore will be the majority of merchandise but I also think a lot of people - my friends and I included - go to these events for a chance to get hold of some rarer Collectables and collector's items.

One stall had Twilight Coasters. Another had Twilight Tshirts. The next one had Transformers mugs. The next one had signed photos from the cast of Transformers and Twilight. etc.

It would be nice to see some variety. Most of what was on sale I can get at Forbidden Planet or even my local comic shop. I would have thought that a big event such as Collectormania would be the ideal opportunity to find some rarer merchandise, some older merchandise, some more obscure merchandise. There was a little, but not much more than I saw at a small fanclub-ran Con in Norwich last month.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I guess the dealers get hold of what sells really. It's nothing to do with CM as to what is on sale I don't think. The dealers would get their own mergendice, so I guess maybe what you want really is a few different dealers to come to events?

• Moderators

It's definitely up to the dealers themselves as to whether they want to appear at the event, and what merchandise they choose to sell.

Obviously there are a good few that try to cater to an actual guest list, but the dealers will always aim to cover the more popular things that would appeal to the largest sections of the attendees.

If there's ever anything you'd like to see at future events, I'm sure you could post on here, or suggest things to dealers at the events who are happy to hear feedback. But yeah, it's not really down to Showmasters as such. In the end, they can only offer places to those dealers that choose to take up the opportunity.

Edited by DavidB

There are always these threads after each show with good things/bad things, suggestions, criticisms (constructive or otherwise) etc. I have been going to showmasters evens since around CMMK2 and in that time I can't think of any suggestions that have been adopted. I can't remember how many times people have asked for seating at these events and still there was no seating at CMLondon.

So it may make people feel better to express their feelings about things that weren't great; just dont be too dissapointed if you don't see much of a response at the shows.

I would agree that sometimes the stalls sell the same things.

BUT, as someone who always scouts around the net for things to buy, I can say that at the moment (and for the past few years) a lot of companies have been putting out pretty samey things anyway.

Plus, they obviously want to sell star trek, twilight and transformers things at the moment as that is what will make them the most money from both collectors and passing trade.

• Moderators

There are always these threads after each show with good things/bad things, suggestions, criticisms (constructive or otherwise) etc. I have been going to showmasters evens since around CMMK2 and in that time I can't think of any suggestions that have been adopted. I can't remember how many times people have asked for seating at these events and still there was no seating at CMLondon.

So it may make people feel better to express their feelings about things that weren't great; just dont be too dissapointed if you don't see much of a response at the shows.

So in the past 6 years or however long, you genuinely don't think that ANY feedback has been taken on board whatsoever?

I think they try to adapt and improve with every event, and surely you've noticed change over that period of time. I certainly have, and while there's no guarantee that every suggestion will be implemented, there are some that definitely are.

With something like this though, it's generally not down to the organiser.

id like to see more props and more things like the klingon charity shoot, things like the cars and tardis ect could be in a corner with a background and photo shoots done or allowed with ppls own cameras, i mean if for example you had a load of who guests, get the tardis in and backdrop and set up there shoot around the tardis. how cool would that be or something to similar effect, i noticed in some past cm mk photo thread a star wars speeder with back drop ppl could sit in and take pics, more stuff like that would be cool.

but either way, awesome shows, loved my weekend at CML, thankyou SM

I actually thought there was more variety from the stalls at the event this weekend than ever before.

I think the number of stalls selling autographs was less in proportion to previously and there were more stalls aimed at the younger attendees.

I would say this though - the first stall to sell batteries for digital cameras and advertise it well will make a killing. I saw numerous people asking at stalls where they could buy batteries.

i didnt see much supernatural merchandise apart from things like coasters and mugs - i dont know what i was expecting but it would have been nice to have more supernatural variety.

i liked the true blood merchandise there was around but it would have been good if someone had like the true blood drinks that you cant get in england and have to ship from america.

I agree you can't do much about which stalls sell what. I thought they were ok actually; and more vintage stuff than there has been in recent shows which is good.

I really can't think of anything specific that has been take on board. However, if anyone has any suggestions I stand to be corrected.

So in the past 6 years or however long, you genuinely don't think that ANY feedback has been taken on board whatsoever?

I think they try to adapt and improve with every event, and surely you've noticed change over that period of time. I certainly have, and while there's no guarantee that every suggestion will be implemented, there are some that definitely are.

With something like this though, it's generally not down to the organiser.

After having been to about ten cons by now and noticing that there are always several stands selling old Trek novels I came prepared to fill a few gaps in my collection...only to find absolutely none for sale anywhere, except for a 50p copy of How Much for Just the Planet which I'd paid £1 for the previous weekend. The one time I decide to buy some is the one time they're not there... :thumbup:

The only thing I ended up buying was volume 1 of the TV21 comic collections from the Reynolds and Hearn stand...

I thought there was a fair bit of variety amongst the dealers. I ended up getting a Cobra Kai t-shirt which I had to get for Kai, & I was so chuffed with my Family Guy farting canvas that I ended up getting one for JB as well!

I also got a 'Girls on trampolines' DVD as a joke Xmas present for a mate.

i didnt see much supernatural merchandise apart from things like coasters and mugs - i dont know what i was expecting but it would have been nice to have more supernatural variety.

i liked the true blood merchandise there was around but it would have been good if someone had like the true blood drinks that you cant get in england and have to ship from america.

I don't think there's much Supernatural merchandise. I've seen t-shirts (bought one), magazine/comics, pics of course and mugs. But even if you look on the internet there's not really a huge lot of merchandise available.

The problem dealers have (and I'm sometimes one of them), is the variety of stock available to us. This, added to the weak pount which makes importing stuff expensive as well as the economic slump means that more dealers are going out of business and are less likely (and able) to take financial risks with stock.

yeah i agree it's not a showmasters issue but the stalls are samey with roughly ten regulars.

With regard to suggestions for future events I'd love to see more props, I loved the Indiana Jones and terminater props from the last few LFCCs but also more cars, My girlfriend and I loved getting our photos with the fast and furious car, delorean and A team van and the starsky and hutch car at CM london really stood out. At other events we've also seen cars like ecto 1 that was a good talking point and object of jealousy which has got many of my friends into these events that were previously thought of as "lame".

I would love to see a Hot Topic type stall. Something with all the Harry Potter stuff and Collectables that we cannot get over here but they have loads of in the states. I brought so much from Hot Topic when I was in LA, but want to see it up close (coz you did have to pick and choose) so would not wanna buy it online. I would really love a stall like that!

I have being going to the collector shows in MK since it was in the Woughton Centre as a small comic fair (assuming this is where Collectormania evolved from) and the London fair was my first time as a dealer. I too relied on these shows to find new things to collect or just pick up a movie poster, but it has swung towards being more of an autograph hunt for most people, but that's what brings in the crowds and I'd be a liar if i said it bore no interest to me!

We tried something new, failed and lost loads of money.

But at least we tried!

Hasn't put us off as I believe in what we are selling, but dealers will sell the same items because that's what the majority of guests want.

So it's a little daunting to try new things, but as Del Boy said "He who dares..Rodney, he who dares!"

I believe the Cosplay is one of the most successful things I've seen evolve just recently and hope that Jason and Mark stick at the Steam Punk and comic/artists alley.

• Moderators

There's a lot of things I'm genuinely interested in - like the exclusive posters etc - but sadly I just don't have the room to do them justice :thumbup:

Last thing I wanna do is buy something that looks that good, and then leave it stored away somewhere! Obviously that doesn't help you much, but I appreciated the effort :P

There's a lot of things I'm genuinely interested in - like the exclusive posters etc - but sadly I just don't have the room to do them justice :thumbup:

Last thing I wanna do is buy something that looks that good, and then leave it stored away somewhere! Obviously that doesn't help you much, but I appreciated the effort :P

Most of my posters never see the light of day!

Just can't stop collecting them!

I appreciate the appreciation!

Edited by Woodyuk

I have being going to the collector shows in MK since it was in the Woughton Centre as a small comic fair (assuming this is where Collectormania evolved from) and the London fair was my first time as a dealer. I too relied on these shows to find new things to collect or just pick up a movie poster, but it has swung towards being more of an autograph hunt for most people, but that's what brings in the crowds and I'd be a liar if i said it bore no interest to me!

We tried something new, failed and lost loads of money.

But at least we tried!

Hasn't put us off as I believe in what we are selling, but dealers will sell the same items because that's what the majority of guests want.

So it's a little daunting to try new things, but as Del Boy said "He who dares..Rodney, he who dares!"

I believe the Cosplay is one of the most successful things I've seen evolve just recently and hope that Jason and Mark stick at the Steam Punk and comic/artists alley.

Yeah, it did evolve from those Woughton Shows! I used to sell comics at them.

What sort of stuff were you selling this time? I admit that I didn't do London, because I never seem to do well there (which I recognise is not any fault with SM!), but conversely, I had insanely good sales at the Collectormania MK event!