Comments about Saturday

Poppy

As TommyT said, £1 or £2 wouldn't be enough I guess, but just to give you an example of what happened at the other event I attended, the autograph price was around £20 (it wasn't in £ but this is to give you a rough idea) and the photo alone was around £8 (and you could queue just for a photo if you didn't want an autograph, and that's what I did actually)

For the second point that you raised TommyT (about the photos taken twice because the first one was duff), the possible solution would be that a crew member is the one who takes the photos, and he can even take two shots right away to be sure that the photo is decent... That way there would be no problem I think ^^

But I'm almost sure that if Showmasters isn't already using this solution, it's for a reason that we may ignore... :(

can i say having a crew member for each guest would increase our crew last weekend to another 40 odd crew which has to be paid for and also have to have a hotel for and transport to get there and feed all in all a cost of around another £150 per crew member over the weekend which is a total of around £6000 so me would need to sell around 7000 at a £1 or 3500 at £2 as we have VAT on this just to cover the costs of offering this , so no it would really not work .

also TT is right it could effect the pro photo ops and if it did it might mean that they would not be cost affective and we would have to stop running them

so we will keep it they way it is as it works and what you get in the pro photo ops is a great item and something to keep for ever

jason :thumbup:

I also think using crew members would be a problem, I think if the idea were to work it would be the customers reponsibility in a way, just like taking photos over the table is now. I was thinking of more that a guest that was not very busy & was not doing anything could be earning a few pound here and there, rather than standing around looking bored.

I also do not see how it would affect the photo shoots, as I would pay £1-£2 for my own photo of certain guests but absolutley no chance I would buy a professional photo shoot. I would only buy a photo shoot if it was someone was one of my absolute favourites.

However as I said it was just an idea. I am actually quite surprised it has generated so much debate :D:D

On another note - Showmasters - out of interest, regarding my original post - was their a problem with photos for signing for Louis Cordice?

Edited by Poppy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was between the first to meet George Takei on saturday and I didn't see any sign saying No Posed Photos.

I asked and he said yes, and I also saw several others getting posed photos with him over the entire weekend. Granted - I didn't actually look for a sign with him after I had meet him, but I also doesn't remember seeing any over the weekend.

As for Shannen I also meet her early on saturday (before any signs were put up). I also expected the "No Posed Photos" rule, so I just asked if I could take a photo of her (this had been possible with guests having the no posed rule at previous shows). Who ever was in front of the table snaped at me in a harsh tone saying something like "There is no posed photos". I tryed to explain, that I wasn't asking for a posed photo, but before I had said four words I got snapped at again with the same message.

I understand that the "no photos at all" was in the contract with Shannen, but there is a polite way of handling it and then there is the way this person did it. I didn't really notice if it was a Showmaster crewmember or Shannen's own staff. I hope the last as this person was no where near Showmasters normal standard.

This could of couse had been resolved quite easily if the signs had been up before the guests started signing instead of 30 minutes or more after.

I don't know why people are complaining, at the end of the day CM is a signing event, the photos as far as i'm aware are EXTRAS, sure it's nice when they do over the desk photos but if they don't then get a photoshoot, if you don't want to do that then you clearly don't want a photo with the guest THAT much lol

For people that have been going to these events for years, a photo has always been very much part of the experience. The photo shoots are relatively new and when they very first became available, it was explained as showmasters have in this thread, that it should not affect the over the desk photos. Not everyone has enough money to pay for both autographs and photo shoots. Plus I like to think of this thread as offering constructive criticism and discussing rather than out and out complaining!!

I don't know why people are complaining, at the end of the day CM is a signing event, the photos as far as i'm aware are EXTRAS, sure it's nice when they do over the desk photos but if they don't then get a photoshoot, if you don't want to do that then you clearly don't want a photo with the guest THAT much lol

And to reply in an extreme way for example, does a homeless person not go in to buy food because they don't want it? No, its probably because they can't afford it. If I bought a photo session with everyone I've met, and then re-met over the last 5 years, id be bankrupt. It doesnt mean I don't want a photo with them. And I also know for a fact that a lot of people prefer photos over the desk than in a photo shoot.

I am 'complaining' because I had a great weekend aside from one crew member(who if I hadn't actually asked if I could have a photo with the guest) I would have gotten a photo of me with the said guest

I prefer my photos that were over the desk too, I always look bloated in photoshoots lol, I just think it's a little unfair to think of it as SM's fault, of course a lot of guests will oblige even if the have the no photo rule as they've like David said been put in an awkward position

If you were replying to my post, then I did buy photo shoots with George, Shannen and Brian, but that has nothing to do with the content of my post.

If you were replying to my post, then I did buy photo shoots with George, Shannen and Brian, but that has nothing to do with the content of my post.

It was a general statement, not to anyone in specific.

I also think using crew members would be a problem, I think if the idea were to work it would be the customers reponsibility in a way, just like taking photos over the table is now. I was thinking of more that a guest that was not very busy & was not doing anything could be earning a few pound here and there, rather than standing around looking bored.

Sorry, I misunderstood you; I thought you were referring to having a picture of yourself with the guest, which unless you were going to do the crappy "myspace pose" of holding your camera at arm's length (or using a tripod and timer) would require somebody else's finger on the shutter button. There again, if you just want random pictures of actors without you in the frame, I'd have thought most folks would just grab something off the internet.

However as I said it was just an idea. I am actually quite surprised it has generated so much debate :D:D

Maybe it's 'cos there's not much on telly tonight :D

Shannon is very much her own boss and she did this event under the conditons of how she wanted to do this , no one has any power to change how she wanted to run , and thats just the way it was .

Brian saw how it was laid out for Shannon and just wanted the same , and that was that

Bronson is a really great guy and young and his agent back in the US laid out the deal points and what we have to do to honer the contract , we did this to the letter or we would not work with him again , the fact that Bronson wanted to have photos at the table just shows he is a great guy , but the fact we had a contract laid out what we could do and could not do is still a big factor to why there were signs up saying no posed photos with this guest

as i have said for years we would like to keep the photos at the table in play for everyone but some times we just are not allowed , and if we push to much on this point we would just loose the guest from attending the event

Jason

Thanks for the information - hopefully it gives folks an insight into how there can be more than one reason for "no posed photos", and one some of us may quote next time somebody suggests that "no posed photos" is solely an evil ploy to keep you bathing daily in champagne and wondering which Lamborghini to drive to the office ;)

My 2 pence (am cash strapped after this weekend) when I asked Gareth on the Saturday for a posed photo he wouldn't do one as he had a photo shoot (I already did this at this point) and on the Sunday asked Crew then Kai about getting a photo with both him and Gareth which he was very gracious about, probably from all the drinks I'd been supplying them with! So I got the photo of my choice and sorry SM photographer but it was so much better then the pro photographers photo. And Robert Llewlyn's crew guy thank you for taking 2 photos just to make sure I had a very good one. I'm far too used to this crew and the rules not to be too bothered by them, if someone doesn't want something happening then there's good reason for it. Oh and I was OK to snap away at John for a few minutes whilst taking a wee break without any crew yelling at me.

Edit: This is more about Sunday, when I asked about my cardboard Jack being in the photo with me I was told to buy him a separate ticket but when I got to the photo area the people there were absolutely fine with me getting photo with Jack without batting an eyelid so I ended up with 2 separate shoots with John, Only his look at Jack made the first shoot worth it except for the fact that there were people trying to steal my photo but for the eagle eyes of a crew member whose name I didn't get but she nicely put my picture under the table safely hidden for me, so again thank you.

Edited by owl post 1992

I'm far too used to this crew and the rules not to be too bothered by them, if someone doesn't want something happening then there's good reason for it. Oh and I was OK to snap away at John for a few minutes whilst taking a wee break without any crew yelling at me.

And from someone on 'this crew' you taking a complete disregard for the rules is what makes things much harder work for us. Because then other attendees turn round and say 'well she got away with taking a photo of guest A even with a sign that says you can't'

And they're right because it's not fair for one person to ignore the signs and get something back from it when those that have the courtesy to respect the wishes that often come from the agents or the guests themselves not get anything.

I'm far too used to this crew and the rules not to be too bothered by them, if someone doesn't want something happening then there's good reason for it. Oh and I was OK to snap away at John for a few minutes whilst taking a wee break without any crew yelling at me.
Okay I may misunderstood you but don't you think that's a bit inconsiderate? You state there are good reasons for the rules and then follow that up with the fact you just ignored them anyway. Not sure which is the silliest part, doing it or admitting it.

People may now read this and think, well that person got away with it,.... and at future events will then disregard any 'no photos' signs themselves. This will cause huge problems for the the crew, potentially annoy the guests who, as a result, may not come back because their requests were not enforced properly. Then word will get around and very few guests may consider attending.

Something I noticed this time around more so than at any other event, was the people with press badges taking photos, only because I saw them being...well a bit more paparazzi in photo style.

Saw a press guy on Sat go upto the desk were Barabra was signing and took a photo with flash without asking, even though she was in the middle of signing for someone, she looked up and flash, then he walked away. I dont think its fair on the guest or the person/fan getting the autograph, to have someone appear and interupt the moment between guest and fan, and take a pic with flash.

Also, in the NOES talk a press guy walked to the stage and took photos of the 4 guests with flash in the middle of the talk, the crew quickly stepped in and removed him, but he said I have a press pass...

And from someone on 'this crew' you taking a complete disregard for the rules is what makes things much harder work for us. Because then other attendees turn round and say 'well she got away with taking a photo of guest A even with a sign that says you can't'

And they're right because it's not fair for one person to ignore the signs and get something back from it when those that have the courtesy to respect the wishes that often come from the agents or the guests themselves not get anything.

You did notice the 60 odd people stood around the entrance of the queue for John also snapping away right, without any crew telling them to stop also? And I also live by the motto that rules are there to be broken, it makes live fun and sometimes the outcome unknown.

• Moderators

I also live by the motto that rules are there to be broken, it makes live fun and sometimes the outcome unknown.

And that's just a really fantastic attitude to post on here isn't it?

The crew have enough trouble dealing with the number of attendees they work with, without having someone come on here and suggest outright that people should break the rules. I think it shows a complete disrespect for them and for the guests too.

What annoys me the most is that it's people like you that end up getting more than those who are respectful and actually play by the rules. No one deserves that.

I'd highly doubt any of the crew would see it as "fun" and to be honest, I think you should perhaps consider other people before making any decisions based on your "motto" - after all, if you continue, I'm pretty sure the outcome will be more predictable than you suggest.

And I also live by the motto that rules are there to be broken, it makes live fun and sometimes the outcome unknown.

So i guess you're aware of the motto.........i'm alright Jack.....sod everyone else as long as i get what i want ?? So everyone else in future might miss out on that guest returning because of your decision to break the rules. That's rather selfish don't you think ?

As for those other 60 or so people breaking the rules too makes it ok that you did ?? If they all put their hands in the fire, would you do it too ??

• Showmasters Admin

You did notice the 60 odd people stood around the entrance of the queue for John also snapping away right, without any crew telling them to stop also? And I also live by the motto that rules are there to be broken, it makes live fun and sometimes the outcome unknown.

If you can show me a picture of these 60 people I'll be impressed. I was never away from John's queue for more than 15 minutes and this never happened. At most it was 8-10 people and we had crew there asking people to not do it.

And it's nice to know you like to break the rules. Because I'm the one that primarily has to enforce them, I shall be watching.

Something I noticed this time around more so than at any other event, was the people with press badges taking photos, only because I saw them being...well a bit more paparazzi in photo style.

Saw a press guy on Sat go upto the desk were Barabra was signing and took a photo with flash without asking, even though she was in the middle of signing for someone, she looked up and flash, then he walked away. I dont think its fair on the guest or the person/fan getting the autograph, to have someone appear and interupt the moment between guest and fan, and take a pic with flash.

Also, in the NOES talk a press guy walked to the stage and took photos of the 4 guests with flash in the middle of the talk, the crew quickly stepped in and removed him, but he said I have a press pass...

Yeah, the guy in the NOES talk shocked me...I was thinking "What! You can't do that!" I hope someone had a word with him and threw him out or something.

Yeah, the guy in the NOES talk shocked me...I was thinking "What! You can't do that!" I hope someone had a word with him and threw him out or something.

If that was an old guy... he did that in the Misha Collins auto queue as well. Even though he was told to wait (he didnt want to queue) he took photos while Misha was signing.

I get that with some things press get certain priveliges but maybe it should be explained to these guys that we do things a certain way and we'd like them to respect that.

He didnt even say who he was or who is was press for.

Nas

And I also live by the motto that rules are there to be broken, it makes live fun and sometimes the outcome unknown.

I'm shocked that someone who is a *fan* (and I use the word loosely) of this super guy could behave in such a selfish and disrespectful manner. If John asked for no photos while he was signing, then who are you to think that it's acceptable to do otherwise?

John did not one but TWO photo sessions with fans on Sunday, and photos were allowed during the Torchwood talk (without flash of course). But that's clearly not enough for you.

Let's hope he decides to come back for another CM for the fans who really appreciate him, and isn't deterred by someone who likes to break the rules.

I also live by the motto that rules are there to be broken, it makes live fun and sometimes the outcome unknown.

And that's just a really fantastic attitude to post on here isn't it?

The crew have enough trouble dealing with the number of attendees they work with, without having someone come on here and suggest outright that people should break the rules. I think it shows a complete disrespect for them and for the guests too.

What annoys me the most is that it's people like you that end up getting more than those who are respectful and actually play by the rules. No one deserves that.

I'd highly doubt any of the crew would see it as "fun" and to be honest, I think you should perhaps consider other people before making any decisions based on your "motto" - after all, if you continue, I'm pretty sure the outcome will be more predictable than you suggest.

So i guess you're aware of the motto.........i'm alright Jack.....sod everyone else as long as i get what i want ?? So everyone else in future might miss out on that guest returning because of your decision to break the rules. That's rather selfish don't you think ?

As for those other 60 or so people breaking the rules too makes it ok that you did ?? If they all put their hands in the fire, would you do it too ??

If you can show me a picture of these 60 people I'll be impressed. I was never away from John's queue for more than 15 minutes and this never happened. At most it was 8-10 people and we had crew there asking people to not do it.

And it's nice to know you like to break the rules. Because I'm the one that primarily has to enforce them, I shall be watching.

No photos of fans, I tend not to photograph them. Like the Chinese I tend to get out drop out of my money's worth.

EDITED purely to make the quotes work - Stuart.

Edited by Too Tall

Like the Chinese I tend to get out drop out of my money's worth.

The money you paid to get into CM did not entitle you to show total disrespect for the guests or the rules. I'm hoping Too Tall WILL be looking out for you in future - if you have the gall to attend another event.

• Moderators

No photos of fans, I tend not to photograph them. Like the Chinese I tend to get out drop out of my money's worth.

And you don't consider that you may well have ruined your future experiences at events?

Obviously you don't care about how it affects anyone else, but surely you do your own situation?

but he said I have a press pass...

Well they want all the press coverage they can get, free publicity for the next one.

There's an exception to every rule - without exception. See above

Or another motto - risk is part of the business. You risk being evicted.

There's nothing worse than having a rule and hearing afterwards how someone else got away with it, so sure it might make you unpopular but sure on occasion you have try. And since most cameras have video that you could grab stills from, short of confiscating property it's gonna happen, when people are on show.

This is probably a reason they were all upstairs too (or a least an advantage) had they been downstairs people could have got photos from the next floor.