Thoughts From Saturday

Count Fooku

I have to admit I prefer a proper venue even if I have to pay. Although it is just a personal opinion I have never been a fan of the Milton Keynes event mainly because it is in a shopping centre.

You do realise that the MK events are no longer in the shopping centre and from next year will be in the conference centre/exhibition hall at the new MK Dons stadium?

I also prefer a venue to the mk centre, although this year lfcc and cml were my first events I had walked through and looked at previous cm at mk a few times over the years but not knew how they worked ect to do anything but they were always very busy and tight, so yer earls court and olympia are better, the dons stadium ive never been to but plan to attend next year but isnt it a bit out of the way if you dont drive, though there is a shuttle bus service isnt there? one thing about mk centre it was easier to get to from public transport than the dons, but like i said ive never been to the dons stadium so cant really comment with any authority, wish id got hooked sonner than i did with sm events, cant believe i missed nimoy :-(

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah until MK in May we cant compare that event to these anymore, as it is a new venue and just like this one, people may love it and think its the best thing since sliced bread.

I have posted my opinion on everything except the venue so far, so here it goes:

Awesome! A few of us (dealers included) had our doubts about two levels and how it would work, but I felt it went very well. I never saw the staires in the centre get clogged up or very very busy, so that was cool.

Carpet was ace too. Missed that from events in the Hilton and other hotels. Saturday my big boots for my Gambit coplay got pretty uncomfortable and I padded around in my socks for a bit, and it was ace and very relaxing.

Cant wait for the next event here!

I had a brilliant time! I always do with Showmasters because the crew is always so lovely and helpful.

I only got around to meeting Misha Collins and Julie McNiven who were both adorable who took the time to talk to me and my friends as well as to each other and us! It was great fun. Even though I did feel like I made an idiot of myself. :D

Second best after that was the dealers tables, which were brilliant this time. I really wished I had asked about stores/online shops for some of the stalls, they had some brilliant stuff.

So yeah, all in all, Collectormania event I've been to!

Had an absolutely fantastic weekend - one of my best cons yet I reckon.

The crew were fantastic had to ask a few questions to start off with but soon got all the information I needed.

Queued from around 8 and got really good VT numbers for all the guests. Only met a handful on Saturday though:

Chipo Chung - she was so lovely, chatty and had a lovely smile

Louis Cordice-he was lovely, very chatty mentioned he'd been on a night out in Newcastle so had a chat with him about that, asked if the autograph was good and chatted to him about Deathly Hallows where he said he'd have a bigger role. Had two pics with him but went back for another because one of them didn't turn out right. Very nice

Frank Dillane - he was also great, and had such cool hair.

George Takei - such a gentleman, was lovely seeing his partner with him all weekend, chatted to him about Heroes and about when he was on I'm a Celebrity. He talked about this years and how he saw one episode, and then chatted about the American one. Really lovely and a delight to meet.

Billy Dee Williams- met him later in the day when he was Open Q, lovely man a gentleman, told him that he still had a sparkle and that you could tell who he was and he seemed genuinely happy to hear that. Great guest.

Kai Owen- always a pleasure gave him an eclair he gave me an auto! Although he did tell me that Burn was no longer in Oliver which I didn't know-seemed really upset to tell me though. But still lovely and I always love meeting him.

Missed Peter Firth which I was gutted about - my own fault really as I had a good VT number but waited until after the Charmed talk to see him and found out he left 5 minutes before- guttted so please get him back Showmasters :P

Had photoshoots with Gareth, Shannen, Bronson and Billy. Gareth and Kai talk was fab as usual they bounce off each other so well and loved the fact they told us to move closer. Charmed talk was really interesting and entertaining - its amazing what you find out after shows end.

Although one problem that I'll raise here but what I found all weekend was the way questions were asked in the talks. At past events this hasn't been an issue but it was here where awkward silences happened a lot - Gareth and Kai filled them because that's what they do anyway but other guests just sat and waited which personally made me feel slightly awkward. Perhaps something to help this is to have a few crew members with the mics strategically positioned so that once someone is done with the question another is already waiting to be asked. It can be annoying when silences take up time for questions which makes the talk shorter, which was even more shown in the Torchwood talk on Sunday as the guests kept asking people for questions.

But all in all a fab day on Saturday :dance:;)

Also special mention for the guys who dressed up as klingons for macmillan who were just fabulous and i laugh every time i look at my picture!! all that fun and for a great cause too, I do hope they come back as it was just such a great idea. The sight of seeing a Klingon eating a sandwich will stay with me for a long long time!!!

:(

Well.. it was a "heart of targ" sandwich.

Felt sorry for the crew members running around with the mic's during the Trochwood/Trek/Charmed talks. Thought - why not have a similar format as the ME conventions. A question box for each talk so that people can submit prior to the talk, and then have Paul (or someone) ask the questions, before opening it to the floor.

I have to admit I prefer a proper venue even if I have to pay. Although it is just a personal opinion I have never been a fan of the Milton Keynes event mainly because it is in a shopping centre.

You do realise that the MK events are no longer in the shopping centre and from next year will be in the conference centre/exhibition hall at the new MK Dons stadium?

I also prefer a venue to the mk centre, although this year lfcc and cml were my first events I had walked through and looked at previous cm at mk a few times over the years but not knew how they worked ect to do anything but they were always very busy and tight, so yer earls court and olympia are better, the dons stadium ive never been to but plan to attend next year but isnt it a bit out of the way if you dont drive, though there is a shuttle bus service isnt there? one thing about mk centre it was easier to get to from public transport than the dons, but like i said ive never been to the dons stadium so cant really comment with any authority, wish id got hooked sonner than i did with sm events, cant believe i missed nimoy :-(

Yes, SM provide a free shuttle to and from MK centre out to the MK Dons Stadium.

I, for one, am already looking forward to CM16 and the newest part of the stadium (the sports hall) that we'll occupy in May. Hopefully that will be sufficiently warm enough for me to get away with wearing my 3/4 pants and not make anybody uncomfortable.

Michelle.

• Moderators

"Hurry up Paul"

Is it wrong that I was looking forward to Paul being 'abused' by Kai :YAHOO:

Nope. Or if it is, I'm bad too.

Looking forward to it in April!

"Paul. Paul. Come on, Paul. Now, Paul."

"Hurry up Paul"

Is it wrong that I was looking forward to Paul being 'abused' by Kai :angry:

Me too.:thumbup:

There was one little thing - there was a bit of confusion about talk tickets and Gold Passes. I couldn't really get a definitive answer as to whether I needed a ticket or not to get into the talks, and then there was a bit of confusion over where to pick the ticket up from. In the end I had to queue up at the organisers booth just to pick up a free ticket with no cash exchaning hands, which felt a little weird. I know other gold pass people didn't have tickets and got into the talks just fine. It didn;t spoil the weekend in any way, but maybe it's something that could be smoothed out at future events to avoid alot of tooing and froing?

Overall I thought the organisation was excellent, the queues were kept in check and I was almost disappointed not to hear the infamous shout of 'Please don't run sir' from Too Tall. :o

Edited by scoop1107

Yes, SM provide a free shuttle to and from MK centre out to the MK Dons Stadium.

I, for one, am already looking forward to CM16 and the newest part of the stadium (the sports hall) that we'll occupy in May. Hopefully that will be sufficiently warm enough for me to get away with wearing my 3/4 pants and not make anybody uncomfortable.

Michelle.

As we will be inside and at the end of May, I'm sure heat will be no problem lol

And not only does the free coach service run from the centre, but the train station also.

thanks guys, how often is the service? and until what time?

I just read the thread about David SOul and just thought I'd comment in here, he was very nice to me, he signed and put a message on an auto for my mum as well as shaking my hand and small talk <3

You were lucky then, maybe he was more sociable at the Saturday signings than the Sunday ones. It was a real shame. The cost of a convention can be expensive. There's the expense of the autograph, photo, admission charge, hotel cost, train fare for myself and my partner, not to mention the shear hassle of getting from A to B sometimes if one has a disability. And if one is paying out all that money primarily to see one guest (in this case David Soul), and if that guest is, shall we say, a very disappointing experience, it can leave one feeling why did we bother in the first place!.

Edited by mjocovers

"Hurry up Paul"

Is it wrong that I was looking forward to Paul being 'abused' by Kai :(

Its not going to be the same without Gareth joining in the abuse :D That made Hub 3 good for me.

I had a great Saturday, I love the idea of VQ they worked so well, the only guest that I had to queue for was JRD - and that no hardship I was able to stand and watch Jason for a while :P

But there are a couple of things one - the game area and the second stage were too close together, I went to three of the talks and they were really hard to hear, especially by the afternoon. And two - seats please. Somewhere slightly quieter to sit and decide if you can afford that one extra autograph gather your thoughts. :D

Also adding my vote for a Supernatural Con :dance:

You were lucky then, maybe he was more sociable at the Saturday signings than the Sunday ones. It was a real shame. The cost of a convention can be expensive. There's the expense of the autograph, photo, admission charge, hotel cost, train fare for myself and my partner, not to mention the shear hassle of getting from A to B sometimes if one has a disability. And if one is paying out all that money primarily to see one guest (in this case David Soul), and if that guest is, shall we say, a very disappointing experience, it can leave one feeling why did we bother in the first place!.

I met him on the sunday :o

I always think it's a shame if someone has a negative experience with a guest as I fortunately never have

I was only there on the saturday and had a blast.

I met Julie McNiven and Katharine Isabelle who where both lovely and gorgeous! I told Kat I loved her work in Supernatural and she thanked me and was really smiley =) The stalls where fab too, I bought all sorts even though I said I wouldn't haha oooops

My highlight of the day was Misha though! I think the man is amazing. He is just so down to earth, lovely and genuine. He actually seems interested in what yo are saying to him, even though the convo I had with him at the table was kinda random and the subject changed a few times :P its funny because in the talk he was mental and pretty much answered the questions in a light hearted and daft way but at the table and in the photos he was more serious if you get what I mean :P he gave me a compliment in the photo booth which knocked me off guard, I usually just say hi and then run off but I was a bit better this time then he did that! I do love the eye contact he gives too haha, which also floors me =P

Ok enough of the Misha gushing already *sigh* =)

Oooh something I completley forgot about untill now.

Video Game Zone: Was awesome, just like LFCC. BUT, I thought you guys would of learnt that the plug-in dance pads really dont work that well/break easy.

I know being on the first floor meant this would of been harder, but I REALLY missed the actual DDR machine from LFCC. It was the one I always use at bowling alleys/trocadero as well, but this time it wasnt there.

Please bring it back!!!

P.S Rock Band/Band Hero was a great idea and made for some fun times while waiting for talks/shoots/VQs