What happened to the "amazing" guest

What happend about the "amazing" guest, I know we have a few weeks left but does anyone think they've been announced or has anyone heard any rumours. If so please tell! :WAVE:

Call me cynical, but I think that this "Amazing" guest was just a ploy by SM to generate a shed load of publicity (which by the sounds of the things it has done).

By cleverly not naming names, SM have dodged a bullet for falsely using a big name to sell the event. Perhaps when the event is been and gone, or the guest has been confirmed as a no show then the name could be made public?

• Moderators

The name won't be made public, as Jason stated before, and has been reiterated every time someone has asked about this.

Regarding "a ploy" - whether you're joking or not - anyone who bought tickets to this event based on something THAT vague really needs to reconsider their approach to attending events.

I agree with the people above they should be told who he/her is or if he/her is not attending, so they can save up for him/her or get posters, photos or gear for him/her to sign.

It was a bad move agreed by Showmasters but it was a bad move by the dick heads on her saying he/she was slow and making stupid comments, probably making them not wanting to attend.

I think the thing to remember here is that the announcement of an 'Amazing' guest was based solely on the opinion of the person from Showmasters who created the post - so in other words it was a person who they themselves held in high regard whereas you and me might just think that they were 'okay' or 'average'.

With the wild speculation and huge names that were being guessed at during the original mammoth sized thread I think someone at Showmasters possibly realised this could come back and bite them on the rectum so they backtracked a bit in order to avoid the guest and themselves any potential embarrasment for being announced originally as 'Amazing' and being given so much hype even before their actual announcement.

Anyway thats my thoughts on what may or may not have occured - either way the guest list is a nice mix of stars as far as I am concerned so I look forward to meeting a few of them in a couple of weeks.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the "amazing guest" has already been announced. In fact, I even think I've figured out who it is *g*. But I won't tell because of the reasons stated previously in this thread. The hype that burst up while we were waiting for the delayed contract to come through was insane. Some people were even guessing names like Tom Hanks or Robert De Niro! It was like the build-up to The Phantom Menace all over again - no matter the result, people were going to be disappointed. So Showmasters did the right thing and decided not to announce who the "amazing" guest was and just announce them later as a normal guest.

But as I say, I think I know who it was. And I think the clues were there for anyone who wants to try and figure it out to actually do so. ;-)

Edited by Stenun

What do we know for certain about the guest?

They're American and have never attended a con (i.e. an autograph show/ con with signing guests, not Comic Con) in the UK or US. Oh, and they're 'amazing'.

Looking at the guests announced since, I haven't a clue who that could be so, well done Stenun.

Of course, there may still be a BIG guest annoucement to come!!

As far as I'm concerned, I think the "amazing guest" has already been announced. In fact, I even think I've figured out who it is *g*. But I won't tell because of the reasons stated previously in this thread. The hype that burst up while we were waiting for the delayed contract to come through was insane. Some people were even guessing names like Tom Hanks or Robert De Niro! It was like the build-up to The Phantom Menace all over again - no matter the result, people were going to be disappointed. So Showmasters did the right thing and decided not to announce who the "amazing" guest was and just announce them later as a normal guest.

But as I say, I think I know who it was. And I think the clues were there for anyone who wants to try and figure it out to actually do so. ;-)

Most of all these guests have done cons across the globe so its none of these sadley. Hopefully they will be announced after the event happening this weekend. It was surpose to be a guest that had a really good career in film, that he/she woul appeal to many fans but most guests being announced dosent appeal to everyones taste.

Most of all these guests have done cons across the globe so its none of these sadley. Hopefully they will be announced after the event happening this weekend. It was surpose to be a guest that had a really good career in film, that he/she woul appeal to many fans but most guests being announced dosent appeal to everyones taste.

As I think is inevitable in this sort of situation, some of the clues that were given out were quickly misquoted/misinterpreted and the misrepesentation of them became seen as the fact.

As for example the clue about the Cons they've done. The clue was NOT that they have never done a Con before but that they've never done one in the US or the UK ...

In addition the clue was they are "from the US". This is not the same as saying they are American. If they were born in Canada but have spent the last 20 years (for example) working in the US, I'd say that would qualify as being "from the US". For example William Shatner was born in Quebec in Canada but I would say he easily qualifies as being "from the US".

I think a reason a lot of people haven't figured it out is because they have been looking at the misquotations of the clues that were given and not at the actual clues themselves. :-)

But having said all that, I fully admit that I could be dead wrong about who the guest is. I repeat that I THINK I've figured it out ... ;-)

I still think it's Steve Blum, if indeed the individual has not backed out - only announced guest to have his name all in upper case, american, never done a UK con (to my knowledge) and I know that someone from SM is a huge anime fan - not to mention the word amazing appearing in the description of his work, rightly so!

Edited by stavrosb

... it was a bad move by the d**k heads on her saying he/she was slow and making stupid comments, probably making them not wanting to attend.

I think your opinion is a little over the top - I think people (myself included) made comments because we were sat on this forum for days on end waiting for announcements, which kept getting put back.

Please refrain from calling other users d**k heads in the future, it won't make you very popular.

:firedevil: wow, some people over-analyse :firedevil:

Yep. :)

Happily so.

But then again, who's to say that I'm wrong?

Well, I suppose you are DavidB, given that you're a moderator and therefore probably know who the "amazing guest" is *g*. Wanna tell me if my comments are wrong or right? :gorgeous:

lol your analysis seemed pretty logical .. it was other things like a guest being announced in capital letters that was a bit OTT :D

And the word amazing appearing in his career information? And his nationality? And the fact that he's only a fiver an auto with a freebie on the door?

Yeah, what was I thinking? ;)

• Showmasters Admin

"What happened to the "amazing" guest" ??

well they took along time to get there contract to us and by the time we did get it " in the post "then there agent read the forum and felt that maybe it was best just not to do a signing event and that was it , the deal was dead , we have re tried with no luck .

thats it now, you all know and now they will not be going to any events .

and we are not happy about it at all .

as to people saying we did this to sell tickets, i only have one thing to say to this get reel , we run events to meet guests we are fans to , we do not promote guests we do not have , what a wast of time for us all that would be , think about ok ;)

this topic is now done with nothing more good can come from it so i am going to close it

conspiracy theorists out there can make of it what you want its up to you , all i know is that a great guest that we worked very hard to get is not going to attend and in the end its no one persons fault and we all move on.

i think for a first time event Collectormaina London is a really great event and there will be lots to see and do at this event and i am looking forward to it a lot

jason :D