Northampton

deadrobot

• Moderators

ME have a good relationship with this hotel - it's fairly small but the staff are generally friendly and don't mind at all that the convention takes over the hotel for a weekend.

And the train from London is only about £30 IIRC, takes an hour or so. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from both the coach and train stations too.

Ask for a lift from the airport to the hotel? I'm sure there are people like me who will be passing London and will swing by for an airport pickup if needed. I've done it a few times going to con type things before. Depends how you feel on the matter though, some people aren't comfortable with getting in cars with virtual strangers which is fair enough.

Being in Glasgow isn't really an excuse, I live in Edinburgh and can get to Northampton with 1 change on the train.

A hint when booking trains, DON'T book direct to Northampton, as this will cost a fortune, but instead book

Glasgow to Birmingham New Street

Birmingham New Street to Northampton

You could book 3 months ahead of this event, and likely get your all your journeys for about £40

For example , I'm going to CM london, but if I booked this as a Edin London direct, it would have cost me £110. I split my journey up, and am going via Birmingham, so the Edin to Birm ticket was only £15.50 and the Birm London ticket was £7.

Completely agree with gebes.

Plus, I'm currently living in Birmingham (at uni) and can vouch for how easy it is to get around New Street station. Going home, I often make 3 minute changes its that easy, hectic when its only 3 mins, but easy none the less!

Getting the train via bham new street is I good way to go, I think.

Being in Glasgow isn't really an excuse, I live in Edinburgh and can get to Northampton with 1 change on the train.

A hint when booking trains, DON'T book direct to Northampton, as this will cost a fortune, but instead book

Glasgow to Birmingham New Street

Birmingham New Street to Northampton

You could book 3 months ahead of this event, and likely get your all your journeys for about £40

For example , I'm going to CM london, but if I booked this as a Edin London direct, it would have cost me £110. I split my journey up, and am going via Birmingham, so the Edin to Birm ticket was only £15.50 and the Birm London ticket was £7.

haah that's EXACTLY what im doing for CM

Considering it's only about an hour-and-a-half away from me, it's not a bad location at all. Except when there are accidents/roadworks and then it can be a bit of a bugger. But I like the Park Inn at Northampton a lot. It definitely makes me more inclined to go to a con if it's here. (OK, for Bitten I'd have forced myself to go anywhere, but I'm glad it's here.)

I have travelled from Glasgow to Northampton for conventions twice before. The trick is to get a direct train from Glasgow Central to Birmingham New Street then change and get a London service to Northampton. There are direct trains every 2 hours.

If you book through thetrainline.com you can buy advance single tickets for much cheaper than a standard return. The last time I went it cost £55 instead of £100. You can book tickets 3 months before the date you're travelling and you're best to book as soon as they're available to get the cheapest tickets.

As an extra point I recommend you look for tickets to Northampton instead of buying Glasgow to Birmingham then B.ham to N.hampton. I went to Hub 3 in B.ham and it cost me more than travelling to N.hampton would have cost. If the end of your journey is a major city it usually costs more.

I'd say *don't* book through thetrainline.com - they charge a booking fee. You'd be better to book through one of the train operators themselves... www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk for example don't charge a booking fee and they sell tickets for all routes, not just the ones they run.

I'd also back up whoever suggested split-ticketing. Got my fare halved from Cardiff to Market Harborough by splitting 3 times (but without having to get off the train)

• 2 weeks later...

Or a coach (probably cheaper) the bus station is almost next to the hotel ^_^ and Northampton has lots to do as you're in the town centre there's plenty of places to get food the Wetherspoons is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and there's a great chinese buffet nearby, what more could you want?

But I don't live in London, I live in Glasgow and it costs £85 and takes 5 hours and 2/3 changes :thumbup:

Just a suggestion why not arrange to meet up and travel together might make the journey more fun. ;)