Heroes: The Final Chapter

Phoenix Will Rise

From airlockaplha.com and the odi:

This could be bad news for "Heroes" fans. Real bad news.

Sources at NBC have told Airlock Alpha that the inevitable is finally happening: Networks executives will ask "Heroes" producers to wind the series down, possibly with an overall finale by May.

"There isn't much happening with this show in terms of audience, and giving it a 'final chapter' feel is something the network is considering to help allow the show to go out with a bang," said the source, who asked not to be identified.

"Heroes" began in 2006 as NBC's most buzzed show, and wowed both audiences and critics through the first season. However, Season 2 took a slow start creatively, likely not helped with the departure of producers like Bryan Fuller(who had left to run "Pushing Daisies" on ABC).

While the audience stuck it out in the beginning, that started to change by mid-season when the audience erosion began. It finished its second season with a 6.6 rating/10 share, however, second only to "Lost" among averages of overnight ratings from The Nielsen Co. for network genre shows.

However, by the 2008-09 season, "Heroes" fell to fifth among network genre shows, with a 4.7/7 average, down nearly 29 percent from the year before.

This year after seven episodes, "Heroes" is averaging a 3.6/5, more than 23 percent off from last year, and 45 percent off its pace from the second season. It's currently averaging as NBC's lowest-rated outing on Monday behind the 3.7/6 average of the now-canceled "Trauma" and the 4.4/7 of "The Jay Leno Show."

Of course, in the "Jay Leno" instance, his numbers were artificially boosted by an 11.0/18 premiere the week before the fourth season of "Heroes" started, and fell to a 3.8/6 the following week, and has hovered just above the 3.0 household rating mark ever since.

"Heroes" might not be the only one saying good-bye this season. With NBC looking for a firm finish in fourth place among all the networks once again, the new guard coming in is looking to really change things up, including possibly a completely revamped lineup that could include the reduction of hours devoted to "Jay Leno."

According to this source, "Heroes" is just not part of that mode.

"To keep a show like this going despite its numbers requires some nostalgic connection to it, and while there are a lot of people here who were part of bringing 'Heroes' to the air, they are not in the decision-making capacities," the source said.

One thing to stress, however, is that no final decision has been made yet, and likely won't be made until closer to mid-season. The source was not even clear if a wrap-up directive had been issued to "Heroes" quite yet. If it hasn't, it will.

"I don't think this should surprise anybody," the source said. "The writing has been on the wall for some time."

Airlock Alpha did request comment from NBC early Thursday afternoon, which is still pending. However, none of this has been confirmed by NBC quite yet, and should be treated as any rumor would.

• Moderators

I don't think it will really come as a shock to anyone if this is the case. Certainly some will be disappointed, some won't care, but none will be surprised.

Most of the cast seem to have had the view that this would happen after this season. Certainly Sendhil was talking that way when I worked with him, and he said everyone else has that kind of feeling.

I'll be disappointed certainly. I feel this season has been better than S3, mostly down to ZQ and Robert Knepper, but if the audience isn't there then what can they do? It's hardly a critical success either like some low-rated shows out there.

If it goes, as long as they give it a final resolution and go out properly, I'll cope. What I hate is long running shows that get pulled and never get resolved properly. So providing that doesn't happen, it'll be easier to live with.

And going out with a bang = giving us some damn good fights at the end, no cutting away or anything!

if they don't let us get a full wrath of sylar fight without doing the whole behid closed doors thing i will be so annoyed.

i obviously don't want it to end, because not only is it my favourite show its what brought me to fiding some of my favourite people in the world. but all good things must come to an end.

i always feel they need to get rid of the dead wood, but the charecters they need to throw they never do.

• 3 weeks later...

The following interview seems to point towards the producers getting ready for The Final Chapter....

I still dont think Heroes will end this season... I think they will maybe get their notice at the end of the year that the next season (5) will be the last, so that they get the proder time to create a "real" ending.. rather than rush into something because they have been axed mid season...

Producer Adam Armus Discusses Future of Season 4

"Our plans are to end this year, whether it's the last year or not, in a world-changing way," Amus said. "Whether or not we continue the next year, it will lend to future inspiration for whoever thinks about these characters, whether they exist on other platforms or whether they exist on television or whether it doesn't exist at all any more. It will lend your imagination to 'Oh, my goodness, the world has changed now, and what does that mean?'

Amus added: "We don't have to be saved from an island. We don't understand what the future fast-forward means. We don't have a central question to answer. What we have are people who have to live their lives and accept their lives and have to move on with their lives. And whether we keep telling their stories or not, as far as I'm concerned, these people will continue to live on in people's imaginations, because they are people who live with abilities, and that's both a blessing and a curse in our world. Those are stories that can continue to be told."