Hey you guys!

dragonsanddaffodils

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think there is a lot of hope for this pc

When you switch it on? no light, no noise, zip nada! Very sad pc :D

That sounds very like the power supply unit/transformer (or the fuse in the plug!). If it is just the PSU, that's pretty simple and fairly cheap.

Well we tried two other power leads, so no fuse issues lol

Annoyingly was the money spent on the snazzy belkin surge protector.............waste of money! lol

well, fingers crossed, when we have time to take it in we will. Next time kev has a day off he will

Don't blame the surge protector - if it's the PSU that's gone, and it sounds like it is, it probably wasn't a power surge that did for it (especially if you've got a surge protector!). Basically, PSUs just burn out. In my experience I tend to need a new one every two and half to four years. I reckon the manufacturers reckon on people changing computers about every three years now, so don't bother building them to last much longer. You'll note that just where the power cable plugs into the computer there's usually a fan or more usually a grille with a fan behind it. That's the fan that cools the PSU, so if that grille gets blocked with dust etc, it doesn't cool as well, and the PSU will burn out quicker. (That said, even if you do keep it clear it will eventiually burn out anyway.)

Yeah sounds like the PSU to me. Which to be honest is the best thing that could go wrong if anything was going to go wrong with a computer. Fairly cheap and the easiest thing to replace. You just need to make sure the new one is powerful enough for your computer.

You'll note that just where the power cable plugs into the computer there's usually a fan or more usually a grille with a fan behind it. That's the fan that cools the PSU, so if that grille gets blocked with dust etc, it doesn't cool as well, and the PSU will burn out quicker. (That said, even if you do keep it clear it will eventiually burn out anyway.)

This was very helpful - Jess's desktop just died and I thought it would be this dust thing. It's in PC Help at the moment trying to be saved - it's only 2 years old this Chrimbo! :D

• 1 month later...

Ahh I've spent the last week and a bit looking at building a new desktop computer. Should order the parts this week :D

I thought I'd come back on and try and find out if any of the other guys attending are dressing up. I'm undecided.