Flash Forward - Season One Discussion

Avengers7

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the first episode and loved it, the only thing that bothered me was all the fire. I mean, buildings and things like the Eiffel Tower were on fire - they were only out for 2 minutes, how the hell do you set the eiffel tower on fire at all, let alone in 2 minutes?! LOL. Other than that I thought it was great and I really like the idea of it.

Edited by Laurenx

• Moderators

The premise itself is certainly very attention grabbing, although there's definite gaps in logic there, as Lauren has pointed out. I think it's one of those shows you have to learn to enjoy going along for the ride, and not over-analysing every last detail - same with something like Lost, which is fantastic but I'm sure could probably be pulled apart under scrutiny!

I like how different all the flash forwards people had - although not entirely sure they should've used that phrase in the show itself, as it was a bit cheesy lol

Joseph Fiennes was a good lead, with a very likeable and believable character. He had decent chemistry with John Cho, who I've always liked. The 'clues' flash forward is a little predictable and convenient, but they do need a device to drive the show. The 'black' flash forward adds a sense of dread and forboding.

Sonya Walger's character is probably the most interesting one, knowing what she does, and seeing how she ends up there.

I see what you mean, but as a philosophy student and a huge fan of Lost, I'm now used to over analysing everything I see (I even annoy myself by doing it!).

But yes, I think the characters are very interesting so far and Fiennes as the lead is very good, although I haven't seen anything else that he has been in. I liked Cho's character straight away but I'm not sure why; I just think he was interesting especially with his flash being blank.

I'm quite interested in the character of the young boy that Olivia saved though. Although, another weird thing I noticed was that he recognised her. I thought at first, maybe he saw her in his flash. But then I realised that he couldn't have, otherwise Olivia would have seen him in her flash too. So, I want to know how he knew her! Strange... perhaps I'm just over-analysing again :(

Edited by Laurenx

• Moderators

Haha it's hard to know when we're asking the questions we're meant to, or we're just being picky :(

I did like the random kangaroo or whatever it was :(

Things did seem to move pretty quickly in terms of AHH THERE'S AN EMERGENCY! then I'M GOING TO GO FIND MY WIFE! and then a few minutes later it's all back to normal with everyone at work and stuff. You would've thought a disaster/mystery like that on a global scale would disrupt people a little more?

Ha, I just laughed when I saw the kangaroo. That was very weird :(

Yeah! People seemed to recover pretty quick from all the chaos of the flash forwards. But then I don't know, maybe they would do, I've never experienced it personally so I wouldn't know... :(

• Moderators

Hmm good point, I guess you can't be over critical when none of us have ever been in the same situation. Who's to say if we lost 2 minutes, we wouldn't be seeing kangaroos and stuff?! :(

No more good days. That was a little creepy :(

Well I know that if I lost 2 minutes, I would definitely set the Eiffel Tower on fire, how could I not? I could be setting a little bonfire below it and in the whole 2 minutes that I black out the fire begins to rage out of control.... :(

Edited by Laurenx

I'm quite interested in the character of the young boy that Olivia saved though. Although, another weird thing I noticed was that he recognised her. I thought at first, maybe he saw her in his flash. But then I realised that he couldn't have, otherwise Olivia would have seen him in her flash too. So, I want to know how he knew her! Strange... perhaps I'm just over-analysing again :YAHOO:

Wasn't he the child of the guy Olivia was with in her flash forward, Jack Davenport's character. He did come into the childs hospital room at the end and I think he said he was the father.

But I did wonder how the child would know her name seeing as only the father was in Olivia's flash and not the child, so I the childs flash would have had to happen at the same point of future time as hers.

I liked it, but my mum and sister weren't impressed. Too bad mum will have to watch it with me every week. :thumbup:

I liked the Lost promotion with the Oceanic board on the buiding, I thought the Kangeroo thing was a tad random as they already had the polar bear out of place on Lost was the Kangeroo really necessary.

• Moderators

To be fair, it could be as easy as there being a zoo near by, and someone let the animals out. If they can set some things on fire that they did, then I'm sure they can manage to mess around with a zoo lol

If we want to go down the Lost comparison route - there was also planes, and people talking, and people breathing, and one of them looked an awful lot like Penny :o

Wasn't he the child of the guy Olivia was with in her flash forward, Jack Davenport's character. He did come into the childs hospital room at the end and I think he said he was the father.

But I did wonder how the child would know her name seeing as only the father was in Olivia's flash and not the child, so I the childs flash would have had to happen at the same point of future time as hers.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's a bit odd, isn't it? Perhaps at that point in the flash he was thinking about Olivia, and since the flashes were 'intense', you pick up thoughts from your future or something. Other than that, I have no idea how he'd recognise her. Weird.

If we want to go down the Lost comparison route - there was also planes, and people talking, and people breathing, and one of them looked an awful lot like Penny :YAHOO:

:D In ways, I can understand why people are going on about the show being the 'next Lost', but I don't really think it was too similar. It has a couple of the cast members and involves a flashforward, and I think that's where the similarities end. So far, at least. Edited by Laurenx

• Moderators

Yeah, I don't think it's actually similar in terms of the storyline or anything really. I suppose it's just an easy reviewing/marketing device to use.

I think it'll get a good chance to be its own show though, which is important. I'll be interested to see how many viewers stick with it to watch the 2nd episode.

Early viewing figure news:

The series premiere, which pulled in decent figures in the States last Thursday, drew 3.19m (13.2%) for Five at 9pm last night.

Despite making a strong start, the Joseph Fiennes-fronted drama failed to beat Five's fellow US import The Mentalist, which opened to 3.69m (16.7%) on Thursday, March 26, 2009, making it the most successful ever launch of any US drama shown on Five.

Previously, CSI premiered with 2.41m in 2001, CSI: Miami took 3.09m in 2003 and 3.35m tuned in for CSI: New York in 2005. House opened with 1.97m in 2005, NCIS logged 1.63m in 2006 and the debut of Prison Break brought in 1.85m in 2006.

And it got 12.41m in the US which is a decent debut for there.

Well I'm glad the viewing figures were decent; I hate getting into a show only to have it cancelled on me, like with Tru Calling and a whole bunch of other shows I enjoyed.

I bought the latest issue of SFX magazine yesterday which had a 4-page article on Flash forward, which was quite good and gave an overview of the characters. I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it but it was definitely interesting. It said that they already know the exact point that the season will end, as well as how the whole show will finish.

• Moderators

Yeah I think from what I've read, they've said they want at least 3 seasons to do it properly, but could work it out as a 7 season show? If I remember right.

Interesting to think it could last that long, considering how quickly everything moved in the first episode. You have to wonder what kind of show it will develop into, as the initial concept of the 'flash forward' is technically done with now, and the rest of the show is dealing with the fallout isn't it? So will it be a normal drama with investigations etc, or will there be more 'flash forward' type twists? Who knows at this point.

It's perhaps again like Lost in terms of starting off as one thing, and over time developing into who knows what.

Honestly, I think there are so many different ways that the show could go, perhaps even including more flashes. Plus there are loads of questions the show could follow, like what caused the flashes or who caused them? Why did it not affect that one person walking around? Who was that one person? Are there more people who where unaffected? What is the significance of that boy's father? Can people change their fate? Etc. There could be so many angles to take on throughout the rest of the season, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This many be weird to say, but at the moment I hope there wont be 7 seasons. Personally, I worry that when too many seasons are planned the show begins to drag a bit. 3 seasons would be perfect if they managed to explain everything and follow the story without spiraling off into some other story line and genre completed unrelated to how the show started.

• Moderators

I read that the series will finish when it reaches the point of the flash forward. so six months into the future.

Silly me forgot to watch this so will have to see if it's repeated. :D

Today at 10:00pm on Fiver

Friday 2nd October at 10:00pm on Five

Saturday 3rd October at 9:30pm on Fiver

Sunday 4th October at 7:00pm on Fiver

Sunday 4th October at 10:55pm on Five

Monday 5th October at 8:00pm on Fiver

Honestly, I think there are so many different ways that the show could go, perhaps even including more flashes. Plus there are loads of questions the show could follow, like what caused the flashes or who caused them? Why did it not affect that one person walking around? Who was that one person? Are there more people who where unaffected? What is the significance of that boy's father? Can people change their fate? Etc. There could be so many angles to take on throughout the rest of the season, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This many be weird to say, but at the moment I hope there wont be 7 seasons. Personally, I worry that when too many seasons are planned the show begins to drag a bit. 3 seasons would be perfect if they managed to explain everything and follow the story without spiraling off into some other story line and genre completed unrelated to how the show started.

I think the key thing with the flash forward is that it happened to everyone .. ok, apart from that one guy .. but yeah, so the possibilities really are endless in terms of dealing with the future of everyone. So it could get dragged out in that way, but hopefully not.

I'm sure they'll adapt it as it goes along, as things always work better/worse than you think they will. Plus they have to go with audience feedback etc.

Edited by DavidB