Lining Up for Autographs.

Hannerzzz09

It's my first Autographica,& so these questions may sound silly to some of you..

I know it depends on the popularity of the particular guest,but how long on average would you usually expect to wait in line for autographs?

Also,when you get to the front of the line..what happens?? (Do you tell a helper exactly what you want written on your item or what is the usual way it's done??)

Thanks Alot,Shane! :)

It's my first Autographica,& so these questions may sound silly to some of you..

I know it depends on the popularity of the particular guest,but how long on average would you usually expect to wait in line for autographs?

Also,when you get to the front of the line..what happens?? (Do you tell a helper exactly what you want written on your item or what is the usual way it's done??)

Thanks Alot,Shane! :)

There are so many variables in this equation, it is difficult to to produce an average norm. So why not just play it by ear and enjoy the day as it unfolds.

You can never really tell how long a queue might be, sometimes you might be behind one person who wants to tell the guest their life story and you can be stood there for ages, othertimes you might be behind a queue of people who just want a signature and you'll be through in no time.

If you want any particular inscriptions/quotes etc on a picture though, its as well to have it written down clearly before you get to the show that way you can be sure you'll at least have the quote right and it helps to keep the queue moving. If its just a name you want on there then there's no real need to prepare anything in advance, the crew member will sort all that out.

I agree with the count, the shorter queues can sometimes have the longest wait, simply because of chatting. Then again I always take advantage if its quiet to have a chat, as I dont like chatting to a guest with people over my shoulder listening in to every word!!

The longest waits I remember personally were for Buzz Aldrin first time round and Millvena Dean, they just had massive great queues. The astronauts had healthy queues anyway before prices started to get ramped up. Off the top of my head at the last Autog. there were 2 in front of me for Charlie Duke, about 6 for David Warner, about 10-15 for Jim McDivitt and 4 or 5 for Dave Scott.

The guest sits at a desk with a helper who will take your bread off you and let you have a picture from a selection if its included in the price (I prefer taking my own pictures in. There might be stalls there where you can buy them too) Then in you go. Always good to think up a few conversational pleasantries beforehand to ask too.

One thought...

Don't ask astronauts about spaceflight or there missions. They must be bored by now...

Ask something along the lines of what there favorite aircraft is? or something about a subject they are interested in. The two time's I met Bruce McCandless we discussed our teeth! He has the same gap as me and we had a great laugh discussing teeth! It was priceless!

Ask Dave Scott what his favorite aircraft is and watch his face light up...

Ask Scott Carpenter about his horse riding...

Am going to ask Tom Stafford about the PANAVIA Tornado's he evaluated for the USAF...

See u all next Saturday!

bests to all

von Dawson's Express

One thought...

Don't ask astronauts about spaceflight or there missions. They must be bored by now...

Ask something along the lines of what there favorite aircraft is? or something about a subject they are interested in. The two time's I met Bruce McCandless we discussed our teeth! He has the same gap as me and we had a great laugh discussing teeth! It was priceless!

Ask Dave Scott what his favorite aircraft is and watch his face light up...

Ask Scott Carpenter about his horse riding...

Am going to ask Tom Stafford about the PANAVIA Tornado's he evaluated for the USAF...

See u all next Saturday!

bests to all

von Dawson's Express

Funny, I hadn't read this post before but I was just thinking this morning that asking some of the astronauts what their favourite flying machine was might be an interesting line of enquiry!

Funny, I hadn't read this post before but I was just thinking this morning that asking some of the astronauts what their favourite flying machine was might be an interesting line of enquiry!

When we met Dave Scott we asked him what his favorite aeroplane is? and he replied 'F-86 Sabre' and I said 'so, you're a North American man?' and he replied 'yes sir!' - remember the Apollo CSM was designed and built by NAA.

Jim McDivitt said he was a Lockheed Starfighter fan '...because the 'plane was faster than the bullets it fired!' We laughed at that.

See you Satda!

Travel carefully...

von Dawson's Express

Edited by von Dawson's Express