Just curious, Who has read the Sookie Stackhouse books?

p388

Have you read the books that the series is based on?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. or are you going to?

• Yes and I loved them as much as the show!
    • Yes and I like the books better
    • Yes and I like the show better
    • No but I am going to
    • No and I don't think I will

I was wondering as I read the books by Charlaine Harris before I saw the show, so I have spoiled all the story lines! But I have to say I love the show much better than the books, even though they are good and very funny!

Just wanted to see

Thank you!

I MUCH prefer the show. I don't really like Sookie in the books, she's far too pleased with herself. Plus Alan Ball has done wonders with all the other characters in the show, they're given short shrift in the books I feel. For example Tara is AMAZING in the show and a bit pointless in the books. I may have felt differently if I'd read the books before seeing the show but having said that I'm not sure I would have read more than the first book had I not seen it first.

I MUCH prefer the show. I don't really like Sookie in the books, she's far too pleased with herself. Plus Alan Ball has done wonders with all the other characters in the show, they're given short shrift in the books I feel. For example Tara is AMAZING in the show and a bit pointless in the books. I may have felt differently if I'd read the books before seeing the show but having said that I'm not sure I would have read more than the first book had I not seen it first.

I agree, in the books, Sookie, Eric & Bill are the only one's that really go anywhere... the rest are just like after thoughts.. Lafayette, Tara, Jason etc almost have nothing to do in the books..

However, I do love the books for what they are, even though the show is excellent, but in a different way!

(By the way, I have only read the first 4 books.. so I still have a few more to get through...)

Im not to sure about Tara, I think the actress is great but i cant stand her character! Im glad they are changing a few of the storyline as well and Lafayette and Jason are much more interesting in the show.

I dont want to go into any spoilers but i hope they keep some of the storylines, the Eric/Sookie especially, even if it is just so i can see Eric naked again!

So far I love the show, and the books are fab - but it all hangs on how the sookie/eric storyline is portrayed!!! Can't wait for book 10 now, May seems so far away :D

Totally agree, have read all the books and definitely want the show to progress the Sookie/Eric relationship as the books do :D

The books and the TV shows are on such seperate levels, but i LOVE them both. I love the way the show brings in different angles from the original story so I dont find everything so predictable after reading the books. Plus books = imagination, which is sometimes much better than the show! lol

So far I love the show, and the books are fab - but it all hangs on how the sookie/eric storyline is portrayed!!! Can't wait for book 10 now, May seems so far away :P

Totally agree, have read all the books and definitely want the show to progress the Sookie/Eric relationship as the books do :sleep:

I'm with you! Patiently waiting for book 10 to come out!!! While I prefer the books to the show, the show does add more flare to it. I am hoping that Season 3 follows Book 3 more closely though (if it follows it at all)...

For all those waiting for book 10 - WH Smith have got it on pre- order - the release date is listed as 27th May 2010 and the title is Dead in The Family :firedevil:

THAT'S TOO FAR AWAY!!!!! :(

Tell me about it! But at least theres the compilation of short stories out in october! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read the first book and didn't really like it. I was quite reluctant to watch the TV show, but I'm so glad I did. It's so much better.

I thought the books weren't that good - it was like reading it from a really young person's POV. The show is a whole lot better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love both. I think they cast the show well and the character match my thoughts of them. I loved book four and can't wait for the show to get to later seasons. The only hard thing is waiting for the show to catch up with the books and knowing what happens to the characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the first three books two weeks ago from Amazon, took me a while to actually pick them up when I finally did I read all three in as many nights. I now have books 4, 5 & 6 on order and should arrive 10th November. Its killing me having nothing to read though its like a new obsession.

Edited to add: My books arrived yesterday and already gotten through book 4. Okay it meant an all nighter which wasn't planned but yeah it works

Edited by naurarwen_fangorn