An Evening With David Tennant?

Doctor Who

Hiya Showmasters/Massive Events, I've recently been thinking how it would be possible to get David Tennant to one of your events as I'd love to meet him and I'm sure many others would too. As you're all probably aware, he's a very popular actor and at the moment, also quite busy with all sorts of filming. If he's perhaps too expensive or busy during conventions, do you think it would be possible to run a one-day event with David Tennant as the guest. He could do a talk, photoshoots and autograph sessions which I'm sure thousands of fans would love to attend. He's got a massive fanbase and I'd love to see him at one of your future events, perhaps Bad Wolf? He recently did an American convention so if he did one of your events, I think I'd be right in saying that it'd be his first UK convention too. Thanks for taking your time to read my suggestion. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

• Moderators

It's always been said that he was tied up by BBC contracts that he couldn't do conventions - whether this is true or not, I have no idea.

I know he's done a store signing for the S3 dvd, and he did SDCC but both of those were promotional, rather than simply 'fan' events.

It may be more possible to get him after Who-related stuff is done with, but whether he wants to or not is another thing.

Obviously I don't even know if the contractual stuff is true or not, it just seems to get raised a lot.

It's always been said that he was tied up by BBC contracts that he couldn't do conventions - whether this is true or not, I have no idea. I know he's done a store signing for the S3 dvd, and he did SDCC but both of those were promotional, rather than simply 'fan' events. It may be more possible to get him after Who-related stuff is done with, but whether he wants to or not is another thing. Obviously I don't even know if the contractual stuff is true or not, it just seems to get raised a lot.

Yeah, good point and I always hear about the contract rumours too. I'd love so see him at an event whenever, if it's after he's finished with Doctor Who or before because he'd be a great guest. I always presumed that the SDCC was a fan event but having thought about it, he was promoting the show at the event so you're probably right. Out of interest, would anyone on these boards attend an event if David was there or an event in the style of 'An Evening with David Tennant'? :D

Edited by Doctor Who

I'll be at the front of the queue when David shows up at a UK event and I think there will a LOT of people will be clamouring to get to an event with him. I'm envisioning scenes even worse than we had with John barrowman at MK. :P

You'd have to beat me to the que (:P) but yeah, tickets would sell out really quickly. It's going to be a really popular event wherever he goes as he has such a huge fanbase from all of his work on all sorts of programmes. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

Showmasters are intelligent people .... well most of them are :o If DT was a feasible guest by any means, they would make it happen. Your heart is in the right place, but I think we have to accept (until it happens) that he is either unavailable, unwilling, or too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Showmasters are intelligent people .... well most of them are :D If DT was a feasible guest by any means, they would make it happen. Your heart is in the right place, but I think we have to accept (until it happens) that he is either unavailable, unwilling, or too expensive.

Right.... only I thought this was part of the forum was for guest suggestions. I would have thought David was far more feasible than somebody like quentin tarantino

Yeah, but the OP was discussing ways to make DT more achievable, much more specifically than a plain guest suggestion. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of threads on the forum suggesting him, and from his username the OP obviously has specific tastes. I was just saying that if DT was going to work with SM/ME it would happen regardless of the type of event.

• 4 months later...

It'd also mean that you were able to schedule the date around David and his work so he'd be able pick a date which is alright with him as well as a date which is ok for Showmasters. Here's hoping it may happen or hopefully, he may be able to attend a Doctor Who convention sometime soon. We'll just have to wait and see, I've got my fingers crossed. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

I know this is just an idea (and a good one at that) but thought I'd throw this into the discussion.

As a few have already mentioned, such an event would be VERY popular. Logistically, the number of people who could attend if an event included a photo and/or autograph would have to be capped at a realistic number.

If like me, you've heard stories of various celebrities charging X-number of £k for just an after dinner speech appearance, what sort of price do you reckon this kind of event for someone like DT to attend would cost to get a ticket ?

My reason for raising this, is that a evening with style event with capped numbers could mean a lot of dissapointed people miss out due to a mad rush when tickets are put on sale if the price is reasonable, or if the ticket price is too high, many fans might not be able to afford to go.

A large signing event such as LF&CC avoids the above problem and thats the only 'negative' I can think of for this idea.

So, what do people think, what would you be willing to pay for an 'evening with' style event and how many people do you reckon could realistically attend?

I know this is just an idea (and a good one at that) but thought I'd throw this into the discussion.

As a few have already mentioned, such an event would be VERY popular. Logistically, the number of people who could attend if an event included a photo and/or autograph would have to be capped at a realistic number.

If like me, you've heard stories of various celebrities charging X-number of £k for just an after dinner speech appearance, what sort of price do you reckon this kind of event for someone like DT to attend would cost to get a ticket ?

My reason for raising this, is that a evening with style event with capped numbers could mean a lot of dissapointed people miss out due to a mad rush when tickets are put on sale if the price is reasonable, or if the ticket price is too high, many fans might not be able to afford to go.

A large signing event such as LF&CC avoids the above problem and thats the only 'negative' I can think of for this idea.

So, what do people think, what would you be willing to pay for an 'evening with' style event and how many people do you reckon could realistically attend?

I really couldn't hazard a guess at how many people could realistically attend but I'd guess around 200-400 (according to my dad, that's pretty average for a con) :P dunno what others would be willing to pay but realistically I'd set my budget to about £300 :D just 'cos I totally admire the man :D

Edited by Touchstone

• 1 year later...

This is a BRILLIANT idea! Assuming David Tennant would be onboard with this, all SM have to do is:

1. Limit the number of attendees to a reasonable, realistic number (say, a maximum of 300).

2. Charge a high, yet retrospectively acceptable, price per ticket (~£200) to cover the costs of getting David Tennnant there, and of securing a suitable venue.

3. Throw in one, randomly-selected free Doctor Who autograph (from any Doctor Who actor/actress) with each ticket. Also include one randomly selected lottery-style ticket denoting the ticket-holder's place in the autograph queue. That way everyone gets to meet the man himself and having something autographed at least once.

4. Follow-up the final autograph from the lottery-style tickets with lunch.

5. Open VQ tickets once the last lottery-style ticket has been redeemed so people who want to can go back and get another autograph over the lunch period.

6. After lunch, a 45 minute talk with David about his tenure on Doctor Who, and about his future career and anything that he's working on now (included in the ticket price).

7. Photo shoot with David and the TARDIS for those whom purchase one.

8. People with the VQ tickets queue again.

It could all go so smoothly, and would be well worth the costs involved in my opinion. To occupy our time between queues, lunch, and talks there could be a select Dealer's Area, and possibly a charity auction for any Doctor Who merchandise signed by David, or any other Doctor Who memorabilia.