Guest announcement General Tom Stafford

showmasters

At his last signing for Novaspace his base autograph fee was $495 (£292 at today's rate.)

For £400 ($676) you would be getting a completion on something like Apollo 10 or 16 - actual price charged for this was $695.

So yes, I would (and did) hand over 400 quid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would too because he's a legend, but for that amount I'd wanna meet him and have him sign it in front of me lol!!!

Ted i am in agreement to meet them is a once in a lifetime event

Hi Guys

We are back to that "What will you pay to meet your heroes thing"

I personally feel that to miss out on this chance if you are into the space programme is not an option.

In 5 or 10 years time when most of these guys are just memories at least you can say. I remember when >................

Dave

Slightly off topic I know, but if Showmasters are willing to get astronauts that charge £170 for an autograph - why don't they get some Hollywood A-listers that would charge the same amount???

I'm sure the likes of Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Elizabeth Taylor or even Harrison Ford would make an appearance if they charged £170+, and i'm sure fans would pay too.

Personally, i'm not a space fan at all, but I fully support Showmasters getting guests of this calibre for the fans who are willing to meet them.

Edited by keithporter23

John Young never does these events, he only does very sporadic private signings in the US for some company, I believe about 400 quid a go - eye watering!!!

Would you pay 400 for somebodies auto?

John Young is apparently doing a signing for Novaspace at the beginning of next year - I myself a year ago would never have envisaged myself paying that amount for an autograph,but I've come to realise that these guys will not be around forever,& besides Young's signature is even rarer than Armstrong's,so I personally feel it's worth it and am going to start saving immediately! :D

Regarding Stafford's fee - this argument is undoubtedly going to continue right up to the show itself, but at the end of the day it's down to that particular collector & what they wish to do with their money. I myself am going to pay for a Stafford signature, because as Dave said, "to miss out on this chance if you are into the space programme is not an option."

Regards,Shane! :D

,& besides Young's signature is even rarer than Armstrong's,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armstrong did apparently sign autographs recently, as a fundraiser for a local church I think, think it was postcards of the church and not space related items though.

Imagine if he did start signing again? Jeez it'd probably be an astronomical fee, pardon the pun!

The cost of astronauts signatures are a real problem. I have a dedicated John Young's signature that cost me $450+ but!

A few years ago I spent £700 to buy an undedicated WSS Neil Armstrong , I thought I was mad but I sold it this year for nearly £4000 to a reputable dealer in the US after he saw a high res scan.

I don't give a damn if it was worth $1 or $1000, I just want a WSS Armstrong that says "To me!" signed by the man.

The chances are slim but I guess that is the difference between a collector for the right reasons and a speculator.

Later

Neil

Edited by Kermit

,& besides Young's signature is even rarer than Armstrong's,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine if he did start signing again? Jeez it'd probably be an astronomical fee, pardon the pun!

I agree the fee would be massive - but I'm sure many people would pay up no matter what the price!

You never know he may do one more one-off signing event sometime.............................................................nah! :P

Regards,Shane..

About 14 years ago I sent a photograph to John Young, with a stamped addressed envelope and several months later I received it back signed. Other than postage it didn't cost me a penny.

The same goes for Ken Mattingly - although his took 1.5 years for his to come back to me.

I think the days of signing for free are now over.

Hi,

I am a big space fan and i stumbled on this site, and would love to get this autograph, just wondered if there would be any charge after the admission cost also any tips on how i obtain it once im there, i am new to all this so please forgive the stupid questions.

Many thanks

Luke

Hi,

I am a big space fan and i stumbled on this site, and would love to get this autograph, just wondered if there would be any charge after the admission cost also any tips on how i obtain it once im there, i am new to all this so please forgive the stupid questions.

Many thanks

Luke

Luke,

You have some big surprises coming your way, but before you read the following, make sure you are sitting down.

Pay the entry fee, approach the astronaut and simply tell them what you want signed. For each signature, be prepared to exchange a few £££££££££££££££££.

General Stafford £££££££££££275

Colonel Scott £££££££95

Scott Carpenter £££50

Col Worden £££50

Its as easy as that.

Edited by descartes

Luke, the days of just getting a simple apollo astronaut signature on a photo in the post or wherever seems to have gone I'm afraid :blink:

Astronauts have wised up over the last few years and nowadays astro's will come to these lucrative autograph fayres and charge you for their signature; and depending on where they are in the Apollo hierarchy - moonwalker, mission etc - their fees will reflect that.

A number of factors have to be taken into consideration and weighed up. Take Tom Stafford. A number of my mates think I am absolutely bonkers to pay anybody, let alone £170, for their autograph, and they have a point. But I balance that by saying that he was part of an historically important part of the evolution of man going out into space and also that it's almost certainly going to be the one and only chance I get to meet this guy first hand. You could say that having a signed picture of him is an investment. And that some part of his fee is going to charity (I think?) But most people would agree that £170 is too much and sadly I can only afford one go (and that'll be on a signed poster so for my money his sig won't even be on a picture of him!)

It's a shame autograph collecting has gone this way, the astro's have obviously taken advice from agents or whomever about what their auto's are worth and what people are prepaired to pay for them. Sadly, I've noticed that the prices have been creeping up over the past few years too. But I still go along!

• Showmasters Admin

Hi,

Many thanks

Luke

Hello Luke

I think the guys have forgotten to add that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet your space heroes.

Noone can put a price on that.

At the event you will have the chance to meet, have your photo taken or even have dinner with some of your heroes.

This is not something you can do everyday and you should not miss the chance that is offered to you.

Nothing in life is for free and remember that old saying."You get what you pay for"

Dave

Autographica

Hi,

Many thanks

Luke

Hello Luke

I think the guys have forgotten to add that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet your space heroes.

Noone can put a price on that.

At the event you will have the chance to meet, have your photo taken or even have dinner with some of your heroes.

This is not something you can do everyday and you should not miss the chance that is offered to you.

Nothing in life is for free and remember that old saying."You get what you pay for"

Dave

Autographica

Very true!

Can I confirm the price?

Is the £175 price for a pre-ordered picture/auto??

Or is on the day the price for reasonable???

I would add 'what price your hobby'?

£175 would buy a decent eyepiece for a telescope - I have some 30 eyepieces in my collection and half of them are around the £150 price mark - I visited a large radio controlled model aeroplane ralley this weekend and those folks speand thousands on there hobby...

See you all in September?

von Dawson's Express

Ya, I am, ha, ha, ha

I meant 'Or is the on the day price far more reasonable???'

not...

Any ways, when you have there Autographs, in years to come they will be worth a fortune. Esp. if you collect the autographs and have them in one book...

...or will they be worth a fortune? There must be hundreds of collections out there.

von Dawson's Express

• Showmasters Admin

Can I confirm the price?

Is the £175 price for a pre-ordered picture/auto??

I would add 'what price your hobby'?

£175 would buy a decent eyepiece for a telescope - I have some 30 eyepieces in my collection and half of them are around the £150 price mark - I visited a large radio controlled model aeroplane ralley this weekend and those folks speand thousands on there hobby...

See you all in September?

von Dawson's Express

Hello There

Depending on what the dollar does the base price will be £170 there or there about.

Hobbys can be a real killer expense can,t they. But spare a thought for us. Our hobby is Show Organising and i am not even going into how much that costs.

Dave

Any ways, when you have there Autographs, in years to come they will be worth a fortune. Esp. if you collect the autographs and have them in one book...

...or will they be worth a fortune? There must be hundreds of collections out there.

And thousands of fakes waiting to be produced too.

If you work out how much autographs in books cost you i'm not sure you'd ever make a profit on them. Book in front of me has 100 autographs, say average of £10 each is £1000 spend on it. Frankly I'd be lucky to make £200. It's a labour of love, can't justify that.

Think of it this way, one Tom Stafford autograph is ten nights down the pub and all you have to show for that afterwards is a bigger beer belly!

Hey, i've been working on my belly for years now - its a real investment piece, i've put hours of work and £1000s into it.

Any news on whether the £175 is an across-the-board price or will Col Stafford have a mixed price list like Buzz Aldrin and others ( extra for partial or full completion of mission set, extra for mission id etc )

Whatever he will be amazing to meet !