Half Blood Prince

rainbowsparkle

I deliberately stayed away from reviews and stuff and went in with an open mind, but I was so disappointed with the movie that I shed tears!!!! I thought it was awful, worse than OotP and that's saying something!

I mean, I know things have to be changed because a lot of what goes on in the books is in Harry's head and won't translate to screen well, and I know they can't fit everything in, but I think they made some really bad decisions in this one. Some of the changes were completely pointless. Little things, like the design of stuff not being how it's described in the book, doesn't bother me. But some of the other stuff was huge. Some of the questions that spring to mind are (I've done them in yellow to try and stop them being complete spoilers - they need highlighting to be read)

Apart from money, why cut out Dumbledore's visit to the Dursleys in favour of those awful scenes at the train station? They were beyond terrible.

I think they could have squeezed in the stuff about the Minister of Magic and his dealings with Harry if they'd wanted?

Why did Luna find Harry in the train and not Tonks? Not a big change, but why bother then?

If Ginny hid the book, where's the diadem that Harry has to find?

If Dumbledore never explained what he suspected the horcruxes to be, how is Harry supposed to start looking for them?

Why burn down the burrow? That really p*ssed me off for a million reasons...

Dumbledore's wand and its burial is integral to the rest of the story so why wasn't it buried with him? Although, rumours abound that the funeral may be in the next movie.

Are we ever going to meet Bill and Charlie Weasley? To me, this has been one of the worst omissions in the entire series.

Will there be a wedding at all, sincer Bill and Fleur never appeared?

What was the point of Fenrir Greyback? Neither he, not his background, were ever explained, so why bother.

Why was Neville a waiter at Slughorn's party?

Why did Dumbledore not put Harry under the bodybind curse? The whole point in the book was to stop Harry interfering with what had to happen, because Dumbledore knew Harry would try and stop it. How come, after 6 years of completely mistrusting Snape, we're suddenly expected to believe Harry would stay back because Snape told him. Plus the fact that Harry had oodles of time to stop Draco before Snape arrived and didn't.

Why didn't Ron speak or join Harry and Hermione at the end? It was out of character.

Where was the final battle? David Heyman said they didn't want the last scenes to be too similar to the ones in DH, but that doesn't make sense. Why would they be? It was a huge omission, anyway.

If anyone can give their answers/opinions to these questions, I'd be interested to read them. Although, if you think it's too soon to discuss it in case people haven't seen it yet, it's ok :)

Edited by rainbowsparkle

the funny thing is i agree with alot of the points u made but i still liked the movie lol

seeing as you've said spoilers in the title of the thread i'm gonna give my answers to the questions - so anyone reading this who doesnt want to know anything about the movie dont read on =]

*SPOILERS*

Apart from money, why cut out Dumbledore's visit to the Dursleys in favour of those awful scenes at the train station? They were beyond terrible.

i think maybe because Harry was going to be at the Dursley for so short a time they decided it wasn't worth including them - but can see your point the train scenes weren't the best

I think they could have squeezed in the stuff about the Minister of Magic and his dealings with Harry if they'd wanted?

agreed they probably could have but they dont seem to be included the minister stuff until the next movie

Why did Luna find Harry in the train and not Tonks? Not a big change, but why bother then?

i dont mind that they had Luna find harry instead what bugged me was the way she found him - its always been said how Luna believes in creatures that dont actually exsist and they just showed that they do!

If Ginny hid the book, where's the diadem that Harry has to find?

totally agree with u there - i actually said to my mate at the time where's the diadem? how are the going to explain harry working out where it is now? all they would have needed to do is have it in shot somewhere so they could say later on that he glimpsed it

If Dumbledore never explained what he suspected the horcruxes to be, how is Harry supposed to start looking for them?

again agree with you on this. they should have included this bit, not like it would have taken much screen time to have Dumbledore tell Harry his theory

that was the scene that i hated! there was no reason to burn the burrow down

Dumbledore's wand and its burial is integral to the rest of the story so why wasn't it buried with him? Although, rumours abound that the funeral may be in the next movie.

this was another thing me and my mated pointed out the minute we saw his wand still on his desk! hadn't heard the rumours about the funeral will be interesting to see if they do included it in the next movie instead

Are we ever going to meet Bill and Charlie Weasley? To me, this has been one of the worst omissions in the entire series.

i dont think we will ever meet Charlie but Bill has been cast for DH

yep it will be included its meant to be filmed soon

What was the point of Fenrir Greyback? Neither he, not his background, were ever explained, so why bother.

i think he was maybe included just to add a bit more of a horror aspect to the death eaters - thats just my opinion anyways

i didnt understand that either - suppose it was a way to include him in the party although why not just have him there as a guest i dont know maybe the waiter thing was meant to be funny?

Why did Dumbledore not put Harry under the bodybind curse? The whole point in the book was to stop Harry interfering with what had to happen, because Dumbledore knew Harry would try and stop it. How come, after 6 years of completely mistrusting Snape, we're suddenly expected to believe Harry would stay back because Snape told him. Plus the fact that Harry had oodles of time to stop Draco before Snape arrived and didn't.

that didnt annoy me at the time but the more i've thought about it since it has lol i guess maybe they didnt want to have harry under the invisibility cloak (extra speacial effects/complications) so harry needed to be hidden elsewhere? but yeah it didnt really work

Why didn't Ron speak or join Harry and Hermione at the end? It was out of character.

it was out of character for Ron and as a Rupert fan it annoyed me he wasnt used more in the end scene

Where was the final battle? David Heyman said they didn't want the last scenes to be too similar to the ones in DH, but that doesn't make sense. Why would they be? It was a huge omission, anyway.

yeah heard this about the ending as well - i guess they thought with both HBP n DH ending having big battles in Hogwarts they were worried about how they would make them different. But with there actually being a movie inbetween it wouldnt be two movies in a row with similar endings

thats my two cents worth anyways

would love to hear everyone else opinions as well =]

I loved it, far better than the previous two films. They may have cut a lot out of it but I think they did it well tbh. Does anyone know if they are filming the last three back-to-back? I mean Tim Spall was in it for about 20 seconds and he's one of the best actors on set! Shame he's being wasted playing Wormtail.

I thought it was by far the best installment. So much so, I'm seeing it again tonight! :YAHOO:

I'm in a rush now, but will do a proper reply to this later.

I shall look forward to it! Seriously, I am genuinely interested in what other people think because I'm really confused. I want to love the film and I didn't ask all those questions to be mean about it. It has really flummoxed me, the way they've handled it. The way I see it is, making a change to the plot is like telling a lie in the sense that you have to keep telling bigger lies to cover the original lie. I feel that even the small changes they seem to have made will lead to huge changes so that they end up not telling the original story and it worries me When the original story is so loved and so successful as is, why change it? If it ain't broke and all that...:thumbup:

All that aside, and on a positive note, I LOVED Weasleys Wizard Wheezes, even though it means I shall have to start from scratch on my model LOL. Also loved Luna's lion hat and, yet again, the cast were so good it was as if the characters had walked out of my head and on to the screen. Really, when TPTB get it right, they really get it right :dance: Special effects were amazing as usual, too.

Anyhoo, thanks for the replies so far. :D

Im failry confused by the film too. I didnt really know what to make of it.

On the one hand I loved all the comedy, and the romance between Ron and Hermione was cute.

Harry on felix felicis stole the show though in my opinion - "Harry! - Siiirrrrr" :D

I havent answered all the questions you posed, although i agree with pretty much all of them.

*Spoilers*

They said it was because in the books you understand the sense of danger being all around, but that you wouldnt get that in the film. The attack was meant to show that the danger is occuring for the characters we know, not just the outside world. Im not saying I agree with it, just that thats what they said.

Like elwebb said yeah there will be. But its going to be completely random and out of knowhere for people who hadnt read the books.

I think it was just to introduce him. My memory of the 7th book is a bit hazy (im starting to reread it at the moment though) so i cant remember whether he was in the book much or not. But either way im sure it was just to introduce him like I said so he can be in the next films.

To be honest I think this was just for comedy. It didnt really bother me, odd though it was.

This part probably bugged me the most. It was just such an unnecessary change!

Interestingly enough this didnt really bother me. I often forget that there was a battle in HBP so i dont mind it was left out. Although the fact it was replaced with Bellatrix on the house tables was pretty random.

you make some really good points about the film and i do totally agree with you

i thought the film was okay and i did enjoy it, however after thinking about it for a couple of days after i too feel a little cheated out of some important things that should have been in the film especially the bodybind curse, there is NO WAY harry would have just stood there and done nothing to help dumbledore unless he was physically not able to, in my opinion big mistake not showing this and very hard to believe, my kids havent read the books and even they asked why harry didnt help!!!

it will be interesting to see how they make the last two films now and although i cant wait to see them i am a little anxious that i wont like them ^_^

SPOILERs in my reply

I saw the movie yesterday and was a bit surprise with the beginning with Harry meeting Dumbledore at the train station but fine.

I did enjoy watching the movie, there were some nice funny scenes but the end spoilt everything. I was quite upset at the end: no battle in the castle. I was looking forward to it, so much!!!! I don't understand why it doesn't appear in the movie.

I understand that they need to make some changes or cut some scenes but the battle, that's ridiculous! B)

I wanted also to see some scenes about Tom Riddle and his sister and dad...