Size of venue

Size?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Does the venue need to be larger? (Bring down the gray partition)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Ok, I love Earls Court as a venue but I do think it is getting two small in its current format. My main grip is the guest areas for the big guests being bottlenecked by people hanging about even when there VT has not been called yet.

You can all see the big grey screens blocking behind the guest area to the whole of Earls Court 2, my question is do you think Showmasters should take it down and expanded into the whole of Earls Court 2? Personally I think it is now time. Jason has said this year was a 50% increase in attendances, so what will next year bring, more I suspect if they keep up the amazing work.

I am sure SM dream will be to have a event one day that takes up the whole of Earls Court 1 & 2, many events have done it before at Earls Court!!!

A bit more room would be nice, but I don't think quite that much space would be needed. Plus, more space = more money spent, so I'd rather that money spent on having more/better guests than more space.

I could have sworn it was larger last year. I remember it was quite a trek from the dealers tables to the autograph queues

Trust me, as a crew member who was a runner on Sunday (amongst 5 other jobs) it was quite long enough this year.

I think that at the top end there was not enough room, it was also quite hard to walk down the smaller aisles without been pushed around and bumped into.

So yeah, bring up the grey partition, and move the signing tables back, along with maybe having the talk areas up there.

the guest areas for the big guests being bottlenecked by people hanging about even when there VT has not been called yet.

You are going to get that happening no matter how big the venue is. From what I saw, a lot of it was people just standing around chatting and I had to ask people to move on several occasions. Some were standing right at the entrance to the queue totally blocking the way and completely oblivious to the fact that there were people trying to get by.

I don't think a larger venue is needed - just for people to show a bit of common sense and find somewhere less busy if they want to stand and chat.

I don't think they need to expand and take up more of the hall yet no, Jason has already posted elsewhere about how this would cost a lot more money to do so.

If anything I found it easier to move around the dealers areas, and actually thought everything was spaced out more , and this even allowed for the cosplay area .

As has been said it was only the signing area which was packed , due to people hanging around waiting for their VQ ticket number to come up, and my friends and I witnessed several times various crew members asking attendees to move on as it was getting too crowded.

What I would say however is , I would prefer to have the big guests at either ends of the signing area rather than all together in the middle of it. This would help seperate up the crowds of people waiting.

Generally speaking, I didn't think it was too crowded over the weekend, though there were obviously a few problems at the end by the signing desks, where some queues had grown a bit too long.

Still, Jason posted on another thread last night: "...after this weekend we can see we need more space so we will be taking more space for next year's event."

Which sounds good to me.

I thought that the size of the venue was absolutely fine, it just got a little crowded where all the big guests were squashed together.

So to better this, the most likely to be extremely popular guests could be spread out a bit more as the actual size of the venue is fine :)

I am not sure whether more space is needed, but as others have said, perhaps the space could have been allocated in a different way. I see three reasons for the congestion -

1 - All the big names grouped together.

2 - The lack of white-boards wth current ticket numbers for everyone means we all need to go through the busy big-names area just to see if our number is up. My eye-sight isn't the best (l'm sure I'm not the only one) so I need to walk close to the queues to see the boards.

3 - Not giving out virtual tickets for potentially busy guests from the start of the day.

I am not sure whether more space is needed, but as others have said, perhaps the space could have been allocated in a different way. I see three reasons for the congestion -

1 - All the big names grouped together.

2 - The lack of white-boards wth current ticket numbers for everyone means we all need to go through the busy big-names area just to see if our number is up. My eye-sight isn't the best (l'm sure I'm not the only one) so I need to walk close to the queues to see the boards.

3 - Not giving out virtual tickets for potentially busy guests from the start of the day.

indeed, there was a lot of cross-over queues and confusion. and i too find it hard to see the vq numbers without getting in people's way...also people (myself included) ended up just joining the end of a queue towards the end of the day for people like scott bakula, as we couldn't tell if our numbers were up. also i struggle to hear announcements over the tannoy with all the noise (both in the 'general hustle and bustle' and the actual echo/static etc), it's as bad as some train stations.. i know this may just be an acoustics problem in the venue but it'd be great if that could somehow be made clearer. and yes, phelps twins should never have been open queue, or someone shoulda handed out vq tickets and asked the queue to disperse once they saw how large it was - i left the queue at the risk of not getting back in even after i'd got to the 'home stretch' as i had to rush off to the scott photoshoot.

but as we know the team will work hard to take any problem, minor or major, and work out how to fix it for next year -- despite these annoyances i had a good time :-)