Extra Posed Photos / Negatives

Is it possible to get extra copies of posed photos or the negatives, or the jpg files emailed

I had 1 pic done with a few stars

but it would be nice to get 2 copies 1 to get auto'd by the star and 1 unauto`d

If not why dont showmasters allow purchase of the jpg file or extra copies

I'm sure many people would be happy to pay an extra pound or so for additional copies

I doubt it would cost them much to run off extra prints

• Moderators

Basically the time and effort required to change the system and do something like this means that it'll never happen.

There's enough for them to do with getting all the photos back etc without worrying about that. Plus there's other reasons too.

I just scan mine when I get back. I'm sure it's easy enough for most people to do it themselves or find a friend that has one.

Basically the time and effort required to change the system and do something like this means that it'll never happen.

There's enough for them to do with getting all the photos back etc without worrying about that. Plus there's other reasons too.

I just scan mine when I get back. I'm sure it's easy enough for most people to do it themselves or find a friend that has one.

I can understand that if you simply apply this idea on top of the existing system (which as you suggest is already pretty intense for those involved) it would just make things even slower and more stressful. However I do think the concept is a good idea and I'm not sure that you can say "...It'll never happen". Obviously SM would have to change the present system to accomodate an idea like this.

Without the proper planning and a ROI study theres no real way to tell if this is a viable suggestion or not...

Edited by Locutus

• Moderators

Well, I'm only going by the fact that it's been mentioned after every event since photo shoots started, and it's always been replied to in the same way i.e. it's not going to happen.

It's certainly not the first time it's ever been pitched.

I hadn't noticed it being asked before as I have only started having posed photos recently

in fact this was my first event from Showmasters where I had any taken, and three in one day

I have only had one taken at another event so posed photos is all new to me

as I said I got one of mine autographed so if I get it copied, it would still have autograph on it

hence asking the question

they are stuck on a memory card somewhere so would be nice to get another printed

Scanning works fine. Although techinically you do lose some of the detail, and the colours will be different (unless you have a full colour management system in place). Neither is really noticable until you compare it to the orignal.

I scan mine at 450dpi which allows me to produce a A4 print at 300dpi. Perfectly good quality for a photo print. A bit of cropping is required due to the different aspect ratios. I then get this signed the next time I see the guest - the next day if possible or at the next event they attend. This way I still have my orignal untouched plus a signed version.

Of course if digital copies were made available (even for a fee) at some point the future then I would take advantage of that service and would be able to get the print signed straight away. One day, hopefully.... :wub:

Basically the only way to get two pictures on the day is to pay for two.

As others have said, the process of getting pictures for the same day at an event this size is mental enough for the staff without some people wanting it another way.

But there is nothign but your wallet stopping you getting more than one picture taken with a guest.

Basically the only way to get two pictures on the day is to pay for two.

As others have said, the process of getting pictures for the same day at an event this size is mental enough for the staff without some people wanting it another way.

But there is nothign but your wallet stopping you getting more than one picture taken with a guest.

or blink or something similar so they take another photo and hope they put both out on the table ;-) on my tom baker one, he was talking to me on the first one, so she took another, when i went to collect, both were waiting for me, felt like i won the lottery for a moment lol

ok, well i had two photos taken with michael shanks, can showmasters not send out both pictures? they took two, so they could get a good one, but i wouldnt mind the duff one too! is that no possible?

If there were two photos taken usually they send out/hand out both pictures.

Couldn't thumbnails just be uploaded on a photo site later on - then people could buy additional prints or digital copies? It's only the actual sessions that have to be rushed, due to the numbers involved.

If there were two photos taken usually they send out/hand out both pictures.

How are they sent out? Surely any structure to do this could be adapted to email out too.

Presumably the photographers have all the photo shoots backed up their computers or on CDs. Perhaps the photographers themslves could post the photo shoot thumbnails on their website and you could arrange to buy a digital copy or additional print from them directly.

• Showmasters Admin

ok, well i had two photos taken with michael shanks, can showmasters not send out both pictures? they took two, so they could get a good one, but i wouldnt mind the duff one too! is that no possible?

Our photographers are professionals and that is why they take a second shot if necessary. Sometimes the first shot will be deleted before being sent to the printers. Sometimes they will remove them from the pack when they come back.

You have to understand they are professionals. You paid for a ONE professional shot. They do not want the duff one (as you put it) being put out for the public. They have pride in what they do.

If the first shot turns out to not be duff it is put out. And you get two.

As for the digital negatives issue. Any professional photographer retains the copyright on any photo he/she takes. Try asking a Wedding photographer how much it would be IF you got the copyright to the photos of YOUR wedding. It'll be an extra £3000-£4000 for you to have the copyright (i.e. digital copies to reproduce). Trust me I checked! So this is very unlikely to be done.

As for second copies. Maybe one day.

Edited by Too Tall

Our photographers are professionals and that is why they take a second shot if necessary. Sometimes the first shot will be deleted before being sent to the printers. Sometimes they will remove them from the pack when they come back.

You have to understand they are professionals. You paid for a ONE professional shot. They do not want the duff one (as you put it) being put out for the public. They have pride in what they do.

As for the digital negatives issue. Any professional photographer retains the copyright on any photo he/she takes. Try asking a Wedding photographer how much it would be IF you got the copyright to the photos of YOUR wedding. It'll be an extra £3000-£4000 for you to have the copyright (i.e. digital copies to reproduce). Trust me I checked! So this is very unlikely to be done.

Does that mean folks who take their photo shoot shots into shops to have an additional copy made (print from print) from it are in breach of copyright?

• Showmasters Admin

Does that mean folks who take their photo shoot shots into shops to have an additional copy made (print from print) from it are in breach of copyright?

If you go by the letter of the law I do believe there are. But as it would not be possible to sue everyone that does it, we let it slide.

But we do make the Sun newspaper pay when they use them :D

If you go by the letter of the law I do believe there are. But as it would not be possible to sue everyone that does it, we let it slide.

But we do make the Sun newspaper pay when they use them :D

LOL :D

But we do make the Sun newspaper pay when they use them :thumbup:

Do the customeers sign anything though? If a customer got famous and their photo got used with their persmission in print or on screen how could the photographer trace them down?

• Showmasters Admin

But we do make the Sun newspaper pay when they use them :thumbup:

Do the customeers sign anything though? If a customer got famous and their photo got used with their persmission in print or on screen how could the photographer trace them down?

They wouldn't have to. It's up to the publication printing the photo the make sure they have the correct copyright. So they'd just contact the publication and say "I have the original and therefore copyright on that photo". It's then up to the publication to get hold of the person who said they had the copyright.

It's all semantics anyway, as it very rarely happens. The point is the photographer is under no obligation to give over the copyright/negative of any picture they take.

The customers don't need to sign anything: the copyright in a work is automatically owned by its creator, unless there's an agreement stating otherwise.

If a photo is published without permission, the photographer - the copyright holder - doesn't need to trace the person in the photo; his complaint is with the publisher.

Edited to add: yeah, what Too Tall just said. :thumbup:

Edited by MinkyKnights

thanks very much that clear it up for me!

I think the reason people keep asking about second copies/JPegs is because it's basically standard practice in the USA to offer said service. Also bear in mind that in the USA, prices are higher, so the volume for the photographer is lower, so s/he has more time to said service.

OOC, why are photos overseas 6" X 9"?