Thoughts and notes from the two days

This is my first time at the London Film and Comic Con (gotta work on shorting that name). Went with four other friends on Saturday which was an awesome day. Started with the Red Dwarf panel where I convinced my friend to stand up with me and shout out "ONE MORE SEASON!". We were shouting with all our might but not one of you joined in! Come on now.

Met Vig Mignogna who was absolutely awesome. The line for him was enormous, he took a while with each person plus he would wander off every once in a while but it was totally worth it when I met him. Made him laugh when I mentioned Girugamesh. Even got a picture of him and me doing the Girugamesh pose! He's such a super cool guy. I totally get why he's so revered in the Anime community.

Sunday was not as good. Went alone as my other friends dropped out to due to lack of funds. The two highlights were the Vig Mignogna panel who was naturally awesome and having The Cat sign my autograph with a "ONE MORE SEASON" message. We even did the ONE MORE SEASON POSE! Despite that today wasn't as nearly as fun without my friends. Going alone is awful. Especially in the lull moments of the show.

Other random notes:

- Met two venders from the this show *****. Spot some other people from the ***** as well. Didn't know Anime would be so well represented at the LFCC.

- Do any of you chicks wear underwear? Lots of bare ass cheeks on display. Not that I was complaining.

- Almost paid £150 from an Heroes signed poster. Sheesh Thanks to whoever outbid me.

- Witnessed Dominic Keating and Danny John-Jules chatting about the hotness that is Chole Annette

All in all an awesome weekend. Will be back next year, hopefully not alone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going alone is awful.

I've never found that, but I'm an only child who had to get used to her own company from an early age, so I could be biased. But I like doing these events alone because I can take it at my own pace and do exactly what I want, when I want. I find going around with other people makes me feel quite bogged down and when I'm alone I always meet new people which I really like experiencing.

But if you don't like doing things alone in general or aren't comfortable around strangers than I can appreciate it might not be so much fun.

TrainXIII, same, these signing events are actually one of the few things I wouldn't want to do on my own. It's just so much nicer to have someone next to you, especially if you're nervous about meeting a guest! You can give each other confidence, and a certain misery-loves-company if it all goes spam up. :D

And especially during the lulls... as much as I love freedom, just, waiting, on your own in the food court can be a bit EH.

Yeah, it's easier to speak to other people when you're on your own, but I try to do that even when I'm in a group. But you only ever jump between people, and it's nice to have that nice tightknit group at these events, I find.

GOOD POINTS

- Busier this year, which was good to see. The number of excellent people in costumes was fantastic!

- An excellent selection of guests. I especially enjoyed all the Star Wars guests, and my cousin loved being able to meet the Phelps Twins.

- Addition of the second stage was a good idea, though of course this did mean that several staged events clashed (unavoidable, I know!). We were very amused by the pizza eating contest.

- Extended gaming area was also a great addition. I didn't use it myself, but it seemed to keep a lot of people happy throughout both of the days.

- My cousin had a great time meeting some of the anime-related guests

- The stalls were really interesting to walk around, and there was some good value items on sale.

- I had a chat to some of the people on the Star Wars costume groups tables, and was delighted to find out a lot of them attend events in aid of various charities (which I didn't know before).

- A small, silly one.. but the toilets were in good condition throughout the weekend which was nice!

BAD POINTS

I only really have one bad point to make, and that was about the new Cosplay Zone. My cousin came along with me to LFCC in costume this year, and we found that this area was not very well run at all. The helpers and the cosplay judges seemed to be trying their hardest to keep things running, but the person in charge of the area was rarely around. I was told to keep an eye out for someone in a blond spiked wig, and I believe I saw this person (if I spotted the right one, a young woman?) several times around the convention... but usually meeting guests, waiting for autographs or getting a piggy back around from another person in costume. We wanted to find out if this years event would provide goodie bags for Under 12 entrants to the cosplaying competition (as other events she has been to have) but no-one had been told whether this was the case or not, and so my cousin didn't enter (she's only 10, and it's hard for her to compete with the VERY talented older cosplayers who were around, as you can imagine!). I later found out that there was no Under 12 catagory at all.

This put quite a major dampener on my cousins weekend, as she was quite looking forward to it.

OVERALL we both had an excellent weekend, bar the one negative aspect, and I will certainly be attending next year, and hopefully my cousin will be joining me again. It was a great event :)

[Edit: This is my first time using the forum, so I hope I have posted this comment in the correct place!]

Edited by NatalieX

As the building had a very high ceiling the sound quality wasn't great for guest talks, I suppose it's an unfortunate consideration when compared to how the interior can host many dealer stalls and large numbers of attendees (important to keep the event going?).

If talks could be in a room or held in a more enclosed space that might improve the sound quality?

I was sitting in front row of stargate talk but couldn't hear the guests on the stage very well, their voices couldn't compete with much louder volumes of computer gaming happening not far from main talks area and the cheers constant throughout I would guess were for second stage talks or something that was happening at the opposite end of the building interior.

That was my only problem at LFCC. In general I had a good time ;) What I must do if I attend more of these events in get a fold-up chair because my feet hurt (were actually swollen by the evening) from standing upright in queues. Not much the organisers can do about the hard concrete floor of the building :YAHOO: A fold-up chair on my xmas list then.

This was my first LFCC and as most times, poodled down to London on the Sunday on my lonesome! Which i dont really mind!!

I really had no idea what to expect, as Ive only ever been to CMK Collectormania. Wow why hadnt i done LFCC before. I totally loved it!

So much room to move about. I did love the idea of a chill zone (maybe could be a little bit bigger!) I have never attended a Guest Talk, but during the lull of waiting for photo shoots ventured to the Star Wars talk. You really have to love Kenny Baker. Did you know that he has never signed a pair of spam!!!! lol

All the guests that i met were lovely! Peter, Justin & Alex. Eve always has time for every one. Michael Shanks was just lush. I thought Alexandra Moen was a little off, but nothing majorly so!!!

I ordered the Joss Whedon Gold Pass Autograph pack. Cant say i was dissapointed!

I really can't complain. In my view Showmasters always pull out the stops to help everyone and put on fantastic shows.

I will definately be going to more LFCC!!!

I went on the Saturday and had great time, met 8 guests who were all friendly, brought plenty from the stalls, met and chatted to many of the other attendees and crew members

overall excellent day

well done SM

the dude :blink:

NatalieX (and anyone else wanting to do this, inc the first poster) Please so NOT mention other events on here. They don't allow it on their forum, and it's not allowed here. I suggest you edit that mention out of your post, or a mod will come along and do it.

I only had two hours to attend on Saturday, so I had a list of want to see, and a list of see if time allowed.

However as I was first or second for most of them when they started (at 9.15 or so!) I'd not only got all that lot, but two of my sunday people in half an hour!

The only real queue I had was for Hugh on Sunday, but I then attended two talks and left at 2pm or so.

Edited by TerraHawk

Nataliex - I'm a bit confused by your comment about the person in charge not being around - I was in the cosplay zone for the entire weekend barring the masquerades, having to fill in for a panelist who wasn't there yet (half an hour) and my very short break each day (20 minutes), perhaps you saw someone else?

Also, I think one of our judges was giving out false information at some point, from what I've heard, so I apologise if it was that judge you spoke to.

We weren't able to do separate categories as the form suggested, as the prizes we received were not what we had been told we were getting, so there was no money to buy anything extra with. I'm sorry if this spoiled things for your cousin, but it was really out of our hands as we only had the prizes an hour before the masquerade began.

As a general message - it was my first time in charge of any of this stuff and I really had to actually do it to see what worked/didn't work and what would need to change. I've done it now and can see where our/other people's faults lay within the system we had going, so hopefully we can improve for next time.

Edited by TurkFox

-Meeting Vic was my highlight of the weekend, he said I was an 'adorable Winry with a name to match' :(

- DDR PANDA. That made me giggle soooooo much!

- Meeting all the other guests, of course :)

-Walking around London in my cosplay, a very very fun time :P

- The Twilight talk.. 'I WILL SMITE YOU WITH MY COMPASSION!' xD

- I couldn't find anyone with the secondary stage tickets, so ended up missing both Vic talks :thumbup: Ah well, it was still a great weekend.

Nataliex - I'm a bit confused by your comment about the person in charge not being around - I was in the cosplay zone for the entire weekend barring the masquerades, having to fill in for a panelist who wasn't there yet (half an hour) and my very short break each day (20 minutes), perhaps you saw someone else?

Also, I think one of our judges was giving out false information at some point, from what I've heard, so I apologise if it was that judge you spoke to.

We weren't able to do separate categories as the form suggested, as the prizes we received were not what we had been told we were getting, so there was no money to buy anything extra with. I'm sorry if this spoiled things for your cousin, but it was really out of our hands as we only had the prizes an hour before the masquerade began.

Were you in costume as someone from the Kingdom Hearts anime (this is what my cousin told me the outfit was). If not, then it wasn't you and if so, then I'm afraid it was. We did stand there for a few minutes and this person, if it was you, was sat on the floor with a lot of other costumers for some time, and then was being carried around by someone with spiky red hair. Sorry, as I said, I'm not into anime, so I have no idea who these characters are to identify them. We also saw you (or, if not, someone in the same or similar costume) meeting guests.

Again, if you were not this blond Kingdom Hearts anime character, then I apologise.

If the judges were giving out false info, it was due to being provided with a lack of information. The three girls at the judging desk were all very apologetic, and gave me whatever information they could. As far as I was aware, none of it was "false", just uninformed. After all, they were judges, not organizers. As said, all three of the Saturday judges were very polite and helpful. I even saw one of them apologising to a parent of an under12 who DID enter the masquerade on Sunday for there being no catagory for them, which she didn't need to do, but it was very nice of her to do so.

It was the cosplay element my cousin came along for, as I was there primarily to meet guests. So, while MY weekend was fine, hers was quite disappointing.

- Met two venders from the this show *****. Spot some other people from the ***** as well. Didn't know Anime would be so well represented at the LFCC.

Is the LFCC guys at war with that 'other event'? I ask because a mod here has edited out my mention of it plus over at the 'other events' forum, my posts mentioning the LFCC have been deleted :thumbup:

TrainXIII - I'm new to the forum too, and have been told it's against the forum rules to mention non-showmasters events.

I made the same error. Im guessing the other events are under the word filter and get automaticlaly changed into stars :)

Were you in costume as someone from the Kingdom Hearts anime (this is what my cousin told me the outfit was). If not, then it wasn't you and if so, then I'm afraid it was. We did stand there for a few minutes and this person, if it was you, was sat on the floor with a lot of other costumers for some time, and then was being carried around by someone with spiky red hair. Sorry, as I said, I'm not into anime, so I have no idea who these characters are to identify them. We also saw you (or, if not, someone in the same or similar costume) meeting guests.

Again, if you were not this blond Kingdom Hearts anime character, then I apologise.

If the judges were giving out false info, it was due to being provided with a lack of information. The three girls at the judging desk were all very apologetic, and gave me whatever information they could. As far as I was aware, none of it was "false", just uninformed. After all, they were judges, not organizers. As said, all three of the Saturday judges were very polite and helpful. I even saw one of them apologising to a parent of an under12 who DID enter the masquerade on Sunday for there being no catagory for them, which she didn't need to do, but it was very nice of her to do so.

It was the cosplay element my cousin came along for, as I was there primarily to meet guests. So, while MY weekend was fine, hers was quite disappointing.

That was me, but I was actually answering some questions the people I was sitting with had about the cosplay zone. Also, I met a guest in my 20-minute break and then another once our timetable was finished.

I had a bit of trouble with my staff over the weekend and some won't be invited back - I kept finding they had walked off without telling me, leaving me understaffed and struggling to keep things together (Sunday wasn't anywhere near as bad, if any of them are reading this). As I said before, it was my first time running this and I hope to have sorted things out by the next event (CM Glasgow, for me) - I will also be without the staff members who were the issue. I had no previous experience, I suddenly found myself with a lot less than I expected prize-wise and so was unable to have any child prizes, and I frequently found half my staff were missing - I will be working on this for the next event, but please try to see it from my point of view.

Edited by TurkFox

Good points - Everything

Bad points - me feeling rough as hell on Sunday due to getting myself rather plastered on Saturday (but thanks to the Twilighters that looked after me - esp Starbuck73).

Also running out of pennies when I wanted more auto's.

Deciding to have a hotdog and the bread was stale - not nice when you got dodgy belly!

The talks - which others have said about the acoustics and not being able to hear much. I'm hard of hearing too, so found it very difficult to hear what was going on. Some of the talks I went to alone so I couldn't exactly ask the person next to me what was just said.

Otherwise I had a fab weekend - and roll on next time!

Thanks to SM and their crew for making it perfect!

Edited by Purple_Vamp

But hang on TF I dont remember you being in costume (apart from the wig) on saturday. Natalie seems to be referring to someone in a whole costume. My mistake if not.

But as both a cosplayer and a staff member (on sunday, hopefully one of the good ones) I found for a first event with this new cosplay zone layout and organisation, it worked very well.

Usually we get a small desk in the corner of the room and thats it. This time we had a full (if sometimes rubbish, you know who you people are :P ) staff, changing areas, room to relax and repair costumes and water for cosplayers.

As TF has said, first event with new rules and organisation will always have some kinks to work out. Mainly it will be who TF asks back to be staff and who she dosnt. I felt bad on sunday as SM moved Jewel Staites photoshoot from 12 to 2.50, and so when I was supposed to be helping with the masquerade/covering the desk I was in a masisve queue. But I hope I made up for it by staying late after closing and cleaning up the area and packing tables away.

As for goody bags: No. Sorry, but nobody on the staff thinks its a good thing to give ALL the kids a goody bag who enter.

Not only does the cosplay zone not get enough money to do this, but none of us believe in giving out prizes just for entering.

Plus other parents I spoke to (your son was Cloud on sunday, hello from the guy in a white tshirt who chatted to you at the desk!) had no problem with it. They understand (as their kids did) the concept of winning things in a competition. You enter to try and win, if not, you tried your best but maybe next time.

Giving out prizes just for turning up encourages less effort when it comes to the costumes. If you know the competition is hard, you try your best next time. It is the reason people do so many great costumes, because they know only effort and care will get them a prize, not just being a certain age and turning up

Sorry for the length, but its something I feel strongly about. Giving kids something all the time isnt a good lesson for them.

Good points - Everything

Bad points - me feeling rough as hell on Sunday due to getting myself rather plastered on Saturday (but thanks to the Twilighters that looked after me - esp Starbuck73).

Also running out of pennies when I wanted more auto's.

Deciding to have a hotdog and the bread was stale - not nice when you got dodgy belly!

The talks - which others have said about the acoustics and not being able to hear much. I'm hard of hearing too, so found it very difficult to hear what was going on. Some of the talks I went to alone so I couldn't exactly ask the person next to me what was just said.

Otherwise I had a fab weekend - and roll on next time!

Thanks to SM and their crew for making it perfect!

stop drinking so much next time.

I had a great Time I bought a friend who had never been to a event before now she can't wait for the next one.

The only bad thing I thought was that there seemed to be a bit of a short of crew at times mainly in the talk area.