The Guests This Time - An Opinion....

As a long standing - and usually very happy - SM event attender (all three of us in fact), I do really mean this to be a constructive comment to all at SM.

Will there be any more guests announced last minute for the LFCC?

Don't get me wrong, the guests at this year's LFCC are good guests, that needs to be said first and foremost. Yes the guests are good.

The guests are good guests, but are any of them GREAT guests in the style of which you have brought us before?

It may just be me but I rather feel that they are not. It would not be unusual to have a JOHN HURT, or a CHRISTOPHER LLOYD, or even a YAPHET KOTTO at the LFCC, but not his time.

I don't know, maybe it's just that we have been spoilt rotten with top line guests recentlyt (Nimoy and Browder at C15 for example) but it just seem that, by comparison, this year's line up is...dare I say...a little weak?

As a big SM supporter (no kidding...take a look at my posting signature, 90% of which is down to SM events!) I do not mean this in a destructive way, really. It just does not seem quite the same as other years.

Other thoughts..?

As I've said elsewhere, I'm still not sure if I'm going to this at all - usually it's an absolute no-brainer, but this year the guests (at least to me) just aren't quite at the same level as previous years.

But as you say, the guests are good. There are people there I would like to meet - Philip Madoc, Dave Prowse, Bernard Horsfall, Paul McGann, Michael Keating, Sean Kenney, Nicholas Courtney - but right now I'm wondering whether to skip this one and save the money for an event with a higher hit-rate, and usually LF&CC's usually the highlight of the year. I don't want to go to this one knowing that it won't be as good as the last few years before I've even got there.

Just one great Trek guest would be enough. A regular character from TOS, TNG or DS9 and I'm there. Harry Potter, Enterprise, Phantom Menace...it does nothing at all for me. I know that some people are ecstatic over the latest 'third guard from the left in one scene in Menace' guest, and that's fine, we're all different and want different guests, but this year just doesn't seem to be for me...

See it all depends on what shows and films you like, always does.

Half of the attendees could want to meet all the guests, and the other half may not wnat to meet anyone at all.

Judging by ticket sales for entry, shoots and talks, I can gather that the guests are attracting a hell of a lot of people.

Some SM events only have a few guests I personally want to meet, but would I say they needed 'better' guests? No, because people obviously consider the guests going to be awesome.

Some events you get guests you want, some you dont. Thats the way of the world.

It's a fair enough opinion if there's not as much that floats your boat, but I can remember people saying this last year and the year before and the year before.

I sometimes find I don't appreciate just how good some events are until I get back from them.

See it all depends on what shows and films you like, always does.

Half of the attendees could want to meet all the guests, and the other half may not wnat to meet anyone at all.

Judging by ticket sales for entry, shoots and talks, I can gather that the guests are attracting a hell of a lot of people.

Some SM events only have a few guests I personally want to meet, but would I say they needed 'better' guests? No, because people obviously consider the guests going to be awesome.

Some events you get guests you want, some you dont. Thats the way of the world.

Well said. Agree 100%.

• Moderators

Sometimes I want to meet half of the lineup, while other times I only want to meet 2 or 3 guests.

Some people NEED to meet half of the lineup to consider it worth travelling to an event. Any less than that, and they don't bother. Others will travel just for 1 sometimes!

Some people didn't even know who John Hurt and Christopher Lloyd were, or had met John Hurt god knows how many times at premieres etc so weren't too fussed about meeting him again.

Some people want a Trek guest and they'll come, or a Goonies or Predator guest, and yet others will be coming to get rare 1st time Star Wars signers - even if they were only in a few scenes!

It's the great dilemma of running a signing event - you can't appeal to everyone! - and it will always be someone different doing a topic like this near to each event. We've got new attendees that think it's fantastic, and some older ones that have met a lot already. That's another problem too.

It is a shame if there's not something for some people, as we all want to enjoy these events! I personally don't expect Christopher Lloyd level guests every event, as it's fairly special when it does all fall into place, but I don't think it can happen all the time.

I love the line up.

Originally i wasnt going to go, because it supposed to be my weekend of working, but when i saw Scott Bakula and Peter Fachinelli (sp), I asked a work mate to swap weekends with me, then Michael Ironside, there are several more i would love to meet but i cant afford to so IMO this line up is one the best for me.

I went to C15, I got no autos and no photos, I went because my other half wanted to meet Leonard Nimoy. I had already met Nathan Fillion (several times) , I dont really know who Ben Browder is (altho my friend tells me he is hotness) so that event for me was not good. Altho i loved it as i love all of SM/ME events.

In fact I am glad not all Collectormanias/LFCC etc have good line ups i cant afford them all lol.

I do know that Jason and Mark go the extra mile to do what they can to get great guests tho, and it cant be an easy job, i certainly wouldnt do it lol, i bet they wouldnt trade for my job either.

My friend and I are making a London weekend of it all too, going there Sat for wedding shopping/browsing and Sun to LFCC.

I love the line up.

Originally i wasnt going to go, because it supposed to be my weekend of working, but when i saw Scott Bakula and Peter Fachinelli (sp), I asked a work mate to swap weekends with me, then Michael Ironside, there are several more i would love to meet but i cant afford to so IMO this line up is one the best for me.

I went to C15, I got no autos and no photos, I went because my other half wanted to meet Leonard Nimoy. I had already met Nathan Fillion (several times) , I dont really know who Ben Browder is (altho my friend tells me he is hotness) so that event for me was not good. Altho i loved it as i love all of SM/ME events.

In fact I am glad not all Collectormanias/LFCC etc have good line ups i cant afford them all lol.

I do know that Jason and Mark go the extra mile to do what they can to get great guests tho, and it cant be an easy job, i certainly wouldnt do it lol, i bet they wouldnt trade for my job either.

My friend and I are making a London weekend of it all too, going there Sat for wedding shopping/browsing and Sun to LFCC.

Ditto, for the last year or so ive only ever been getting a couple of autographs (which is still very cool with me, as i enjoy it and i dont have to go without food for the following month). This LFCC im getting about 6 autographs, its been a few years since ive wanted this many people.

I guess whats splitting everyone is that the usual shows which are the stable diet of most convention goers are represented, but noone you that there hasnt been an opportunity to meet before. So for the people who really like these shows and have been to these events a few times, there wont be as much of a wow factor. The other camp is people like myself whose who are chuffed to bits that showmasters have pulled out all these varied cool guests. People like Danny Trejo, Chris Sarandon and Michael Ironside are legendary, id be tempted by any convention that has these people individually let alone all in one place (im guessing its very similar for others).

In the end of the day, you cant please everyone (nevertheless im sure showmasters try), but i for one am very pleased indeed. Thank you SM :thumbup:

Its totally down to preference.

I absolutely love the line up and am quite upset that the money I have put aside for this convention is in no way going to cover all the photoshoots and autographs I would like.

I've been going to Collectormania's since C4, have been to all Gmex's and went to the first two LFACC's it might just be me not remembering but I don't think I've had a convention before where I have wanted to meet practically every guest going.

I will admit I'm mainly there for the Twilight, Heroes and Harry Potter guests but even some of the other guests are just as awesome especially Anna Walton, Mark Ryan and Edward Furlong. I'm really excited about LFACC now and am so happy I chose to go as when I first decided to go only Peter Facinelli and Edward Furlong were who I wanted to meet.

Just hoping that 7 days is enough to rob a few banks to cover the costs lol.

I've never been to a con before, but to be honest, there are so many people I want to see that I just had to make a decision and keep it simple cos there are four of us going. So even going to Peters talk plus 2 shoots with him for the kids and an autograph for me is going to cost loads.

I absolutely can't wait

I am looking forward to even just being able to wander around and savour everything.

I have looked at the pics of previous guests, and I feel it is always going to be personal opinion whether the guests are "good" or not.

We say Ben Browder, but what about Michael Shanks?

My kids are ecstatic at meeting the star wars people, what about the Phelps twins for Harry Potter,

The list is endless, and I mean,..............Ironside is a legend!

Thomas Sangster - boy, that kid has talent!!!

Tom Baker - My childhood Dr - Say no more!

The comic artists - I can't wait to go to Artist Alley and see them at work! Being able to ask for a sketch? You're kidding? Awesome!

I watched Enterprise, but for me Scott will always be Sam! - Fantastic!

I think for my first Con, I lucked out!

Which I was a millionaire - I would get them all! :wub:

(and no, this is not a suck up post, I think I am just lucky that so very many of the guests I would absolutely love to meet!)

Thanks for all the replies, plenty of food for thought.

Like I said, we are CM regulars and occasional LFCC attenders (we have a strict budget to stick to so we cannot do all the events all year- as do many!) so we will attend this too. We already have our tickets and our list of planned auto-gets so yes...this is a must-go-to-event. Our 'get' list runs between 5-7 autos strong.

I do like the point made though, about how you don't really enjoy the event until after the event. You are surrounded by the fury of tremendous excitement and you just cannot help being swept along by it.

The time you really enjoy it is when you are back home and have time to take stock of things!

the line up is great - in my opinion, a mix of stars new and old

Scott Bakula, Danny Trejo, Chris Sarandon, Keeley Hawes, Sendhil - just to name a few of the stars i want to meet

hey not everyone can be pleased everytime, hell there were some recent shows that even I did not go to because the guest list was not worth the travelling or money - but SM can not win them all - but they try their damned hardest to put on a great show with a varied guest list.

only a week now till LFCC09 - looking forward to it as usual - see u there

peace

the dude :D

I have to say this is my first LFCC and to be honest I'm travelling a fair way from up North to simply meet Peter Facinelli and Scott Bakula, in my opinion they are worth the mini bank loan I'm having to have just for this event!!!!!

There are a few more I may meet on the days but that remains to be seen and how the money situation pans out, but I wouldn't say it's a weak line up, I really do think it's all down to personal preference!!!!!

Last year I went for Patrick Stewart David Warner John Landis and Chris Lloyd but this year sadly there is not 1 guest I would want to meet even if it was free admission and free autographs!But I hope everyone who does go has a hell of a good time I am sure they will!

As far as I am concerned it's a great line up, and I'm looking forward to the event.

I know that Showmasters can't please all of the people all of the time, but they do their best.

Remember, that some of the people that we would all like to see are either not available at the time for the event or not interested in attending an event or are too expensive for Showmasters to afford from a business perspective.

i have been going for the past 1.5 years to showmaster events and events held by other organisers and for me and my friend the line up for this event is an amazing line up and the best to date.

I agree perhaps there isn't a general "unique" guest thats loved by all, but there are over 10 very good guests that i can't wait for who i love.

Ironside, Jewel and Mayhew are the top three for me. But also shanks, Baker, Lloyd, Furlong and Hawkes are going to be great to meet.

SO showmasters keep up the good work and make me spend lots of cash

I do see the point of view when it comes to this show. LFCC has always had the WOW factor in the past. Its always been the big daddy of shows with all others nipping at its ankles. This is the show where you expect Holywood idols and legends to be at like Burt Reynolds, Adam West, John Hurt etc.

This time though, its just not screaming out to me. Dont get me wrong though, I do like the guest line up but it just feels like another version of Collectormania.

In my view, when I attend these types of events. There is always a handful of guests who I actually want to meet. Or more to the point get photos with them.

But this one is different, one of the major guests who I would like to meet is Scott Bakula. I can remember seeing him in Quantum Leap when it firsted come on.

When I told my older sister about it, she was jealous of me going to meet him. Because she has had a very rough time over the last few weeks and stuff getting too much for her. I asked her if she wanted to come and meet him with me. I would pay for the ticket to get in, his autograph with him and what I didn't tell her till today. That I also have brought talk tickets for us two too.

It is just something small to look forward to. Hopefully pick up her spirts. She most probably won't be coming down until later on in the day so that she don't waste too much time waiting around just for that guest. While I am spending the day down there and also getting VR tickets for Scott Balkua too for us.

But in my view, Showmasters need to have a big enough range of guests to get attendees through the doors to keep it running.

Yes at these types of events they might be about to get A++++++++ guests like some of them that you have listed. But we don't know what goes on in the background to get those big guests like that.

It might not be has easy has getting guests from TV shows etc. So how much has they try, there has to be a cut off point where they have to decided will they get them in time for LFFC or would they have to wait for another event.

But at least at these signning events, you can pick the guests you want to see or don't want to see. At cons, you are very limited at which guests you see and also to what the organiser can get with the ticket sales.

cap