New convention!

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Why is the hotel so expensive and unreasonable??? Doesn't anyone else think it's unreasonable (and grasping) to have the non-refundable clause? I've never seen that before. Should be illegal!

The non-refundable clause was imposed after Eclipse 2. Several people had booked up loads of rooms and held onto them to very last minute - and wound up cancelling them and not attending the event. This meant that the week leading up to the event there were loads of room bookings cancelled and right up to the day of the event the hotel was finding out that people were no longer coming. In the end it wound up costing SM for all of these rooms despite the fact there was no one in them.

As such, to ensure that people booking the rooms would be attending the event they imposed the 'non-refundable' rule so that once you book for the room you cannot cancel it and leave SM with having to pay charges for an empty room. If you are intending on going to an event and want a room in the con-hotel then you need to pay up-front this stops people from causing all of the problems that were incurred at E2.

If the event is cancelled then the room will be refunded. So it is not completely non-refundable.

As to the hotel being expensive I think that is a little out of line, the hotel charges are quite fair and no more expesive than most hotels - in fact it is cheaper at the special room rate that ME has given.

SJ

x

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No fair why is this only just being announced now with month in advance?? :blink: its too soon am already going to LFCC an going away in August I cant afford it ;)

Ive wanted a Harry Potter one for years its not fair!!!

If its in assocation with mugglenet, does that just mean they are supporting it, or will people from mugglenet/mugglecast actually be there?

yes there will be people from mugglenet at the event and Jamie our point person there will be helping with some of the activities that will be going on over the weekend

lots more on this very soon

jason :WAVE:

Eeeeee! Jamie!!!! Haven't seen him in ages!

As to the hotel being expensive I think that is a little out of line, the hotel charges are quite fair and no more expesive than most hotels - in fact it is cheaper at the special room rate that ME has given.

SJ

x

Why is it out of line? Due to my personal financial circumstances, I consider £65 per night expensive. There's nothing out of line about that. :WAVE:

I understand about the non-refundable thing now though - thanks for explaining that one.

This was soooo exciting. Then I saw how much it would cost to both go and find somewhere near to stay. :thumbup: Realllly want to go, but don't know what to do.

Anyone got knowledge of the area and know of anywhere cheaper to stay nearby, even campsites or the like?

• Showmasters Admin

SJ

x

Why is it out of line? Due to my personal financial circumstances, I consider £65 per night expensive. There's nothing out of line about that. :P

I understand about the non-refundable thing now though - thanks for explaining that one.

You stated: "Why is the hotel so expensive and unreasonable???" with three question marks, as if £65 per night is incredibly expensive, and it unreasonable for the hotel to expect so much money - which I think is a very unfair statement due to the fact that it is neither expensive nor unreasonably priced. This is a special room rate price making it cheaper than normal, and it is not expensive in the great scheme of things - this is actually cheaper than a lot of UK hotels, so I felt that stating it was expesive and unreasonable was a little out of line...

I understand now, however, that you meant for your personal financial state that you cannot afford this - but this was not clear in what you originally said and I thought you were voicing a genuine complaint that this hotel was being ureasonable with its pricing. Hence my reaction.

Hope that clarifies!

SJ

x

• Showmasters Admin

The hotel website is saying there's nothing available for me on any of the nights of the event, is that a mistake?

You need to call the hotel and say that you are attending the event and then they will be able to offer you the special £65 rate! :YAHOO:

The reason it says sold out online is because we book off the rooms so that they are available for people attending the event! :thumbup:

Mark :dance:

Hey guys, I realise that I may get battered for mentioning this but JK Rowling is no longer involved with the MS Society Scotland. Now, I'm sure the society still does a lot to help those with MS (I have 3 family members with MS so I'm all for fund raising) but Ms Rowling stepped down this year for reasons that I won't go into here but they've been fairly well publicised.

Don't get me wrong. I've booked for this con already and will happily donate to such a worth cause but you may need to correct the mention of her involvement in the charity in case it could be taken up as false advertising. FYI :whistling:

SJ

x

Why is it out of line? Due to my personal financial circumstances, I consider £65 per night expensive. There's nothing out of line about that. :D

You stated: "Why is the hotel so expensive and unreasonable???" with three question marks, as if £65 per night is incredibly expensive, and it unreasonable for the hotel to expect so much money - which I think is a very unfair statement due to the fact that it is neither expensive nor unreasonably priced. This is a special room rate price making it cheaper than normal, and it is not expensive in the great scheme of things - this is actually cheaper than a lot of UK hotels, so I felt that stating it was expesive and unreasonable was a little out of line...

I understand now, however, that you meant for your personal financial state that you cannot afford this - but this was not clear in what you originally said and I thought you were voicing a genuine complaint that this hotel was being ureasonable with its pricing. Hence my reaction.

Hope that clarifies!

SJ

x

Park inn is actually cheap, compared to other hotels. I'm staing at Park in for four days, and the price i'll be paying is the same it usually costs for two nights.

Edited by aednil

Ryano, i live in the Lancashire area.if we can arrange it,would you like to travel there with me,and would anyone else like to ?.Where are you staying ?.

I was going to go to London film and comic con but i've been to quite afew shows lately so i don't think i can make it to that one.I'll try my best to get to the Harry Potter convention though !.

• Showmasters Admin

I know you can get personal items signed, but will 8x10's be available to buy at the event to get auto's on as I know this is a bit different from past weekend cons with Mugglenet being involved.

There will be dealers there. I'm sure there will be 8x10s to buy.