Showmasters: What is going on?

Lambourne

I certainly won't be buying a ticket in advance for this type of event again. I genuinely want to support cons such as these, but the plain fact is I can't afford to risk my money like that. I just don't have enough spare to be able to chance £80 or so.

But you aren't ever risking the ticket money itself. Showmasters have NEVER failed to refund any tickets, unlike other events in the past which have folded, owing lots of money to potential attendees.

Yes, I realise there are some people who have sadly lost out on the money they've spent on travel and/or non-event hotels. I really feel sorry for them and I hope that Showmasters can come up with some way of repaying them for their support, even if they aren't able to refund these costs.

For the record, its anyones right to come on here and post their feelings on the matter!

No, that's not actually true. This nis a private forum, where there is an open invite for people to participate. That invite can be withdrawn if the terms and stanards of the forum are not met (hell, technically, it can be withdrawn if the forum owners just decide to).

And how have I broken these rules?! lol! (please dont respond to that!)

It doesnt matter, I dont expect my advice to be heeded, I am just trying to help and maybe their is some frustration thrown into the mix. I really wanted Abrams inc to happen. I had booked the time off work but not bought my ticket for the same reason everyone else hadnt. The future is up to Showmasters now. I really do wish them well.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how have I broken these rules?! lol! (please dont respond to that!)

It doesnt matter, I dont expect my advice to be heeded, I am just trying to help and maybe their is some frustration thrown into the mix. I really wanted Abrams inc to happen. I had booked the time off work but not bought my ticket for the same reason everyone else hadnt. The future is up to Showmasters now. I really do wish them well.

Didn't say you had :lol: Just correcting your statement.

I'm sure they'll bounce back. I'm looking forward to the Being Human event :(

• Showmasters Admin

I would never dispute the fact that they have been running these events for years, the problem is they havent grown. This is the problem,

hi duke i would just like to point out one thing, we have only been running cons for 15 months and in that time we have learnt a lot and we are still learning all the time :(

in this time we have put on some ok event and some amazing events like most promotors, all i can say to everyone is this is not our finest hour but we do have them and we will have more of them in the future

we will move on we will learn and we will improve thats what we do and i ask people to look back on all the things we have done in the last 15 months in a recession and maybe think what we could do when that is over and also see we are fans running events for the fans :lol:

jason :lol:

I would never dispute the fact that they have been running these events for years, the problem is they havent grown. This is the problem,

hi duke i would just like to point out one thing, we have only been running cons for 15 months and in that time we have learnt a lot and we are still learning all the time :thumbup:

in this time we have put on some ok event and some amazing events like most promotors, all i can say to everyone is this is not our finest hour but we do have them and we will have more of them in the future

we will move on we will learn and we will improve thats what we do and i ask people to look back on all the things we have done in the last 15 months in a recession and maybe think what we could do when that is over and also see we are fans running events for the fans :huh:

jason :lol:

Well said Jason - That is just the right attitude to have mate - Onwards and Upwards. I do have faith that you can swing things around and make a success of things and you can only learn from things when they go wrong. There is a positive in everything.

I hope that sometime next year you are in a stronger position to run a Lost Con - As it can happen and I know you will feel a huge sense of achievement when you successfully pull it off.

• Showmasters Admin

Unless they're selling imaginary tickets they've sold about 90 for Abrams.

Whereas something like Hallowhedon has sold about 410!

What can SM do? Book another 2 guests from fringe/alias and hope they'll sell another 200 tickets just to keep the losses on an even keel?

i can conform that we did only sell 67 tickets some were given away as part of a promotion but no money was reseved for them so we did only sell 67 tickets

jason :thumbup:

Not sure if this has been said before or not if so sorry.

I think this comes down to the guest that needed to sell this event. I understand only announcing one guest until you sell more tickets. But I do think Michael (LOST) even through I think is a great guest was not the current "in" thing to push this event.

Maybe if the first guest was a Fringe guest lets say "Anna Torv" which is a new current show that is still getting big ratings, that might of pulled more ticket sales of the running line compared with a LOST guest which people just are not watching any more and has low ratings in comparison.

I do think its a shame this event did not happen but maybe SM love for LOST and not so much other shows damaged the chances of Abrams Inc, all because it was Lockdown 2 Inc.

Just a thought.

• Moderators

But then you have the issue of Fringe being completely unproven in a convention environment over here. I'm not aware of other Fringe appearances elsewhere in the world, perhaps there have been, but at least Lost has been around for a good amount of years and you know there's been a solid fanbase since it started.

Fringe is too new to lead with, Alias too old, so Lost was the natural choice really. While it clearly has its own problems as a solo show for a con, I still believe it was the strongest show out of the ones covered.

But then you have the issue of Fringe being completely unproven in a convention environment over here. I'm not aware of other Fringe appearances elsewhere in the world, perhaps there have been, but at least Lost has been around for a good amount of years and you know there's been a solid fanbase since it started.

Fringe is too new to lead with, Alias too old, so Lost was the natural choice really. While it clearly has its own problems as a solo show for a con, I still believe it was the strongest show out of the ones covered.

True but Anna may not be the best example. Three of the main cast members would appeal to a wider range of people

John Noble - Fringe/Lord of the rings

Mark Valley - Fringe/Boston Legal

Josh Jackson - Fringe/Dawson Creek

Why yes there other well known shows do not "fit" the event theme I do think they would have had a wider appeal for possible ticket sales.

I particularly appreciate that all our comments have now been removed. Soon we will hear that this event was never planned ....

Really this event is the final episode of lost. They all wake up and find themselves off the island and at a convention?!

• Moderators

I particularly appreciate that all our comments have now been removed. Soon we will hear that this event was never planned ....

They still exist. They were just moved somewhere by Jason, rather than deleted :smile:

A lot of people have been posting in various places that maybe the event didnt have enough publicity or maybe another top guest.

I am sure SM/ME send emails out to all on their address book so that must be hundreds if not thousands, I certainly get them regularly, I am also sure they have adverts in con booklets of their other events and I am also sure that at Collectormanias they advertise a bit and between all of that surely the word would have been getting around??

I also read the forums about who people had wanted and Michael was regularly mentioned and like SM/ME I think I would have hoped that fans would have bought tickets knowing that once they had support the rest would follow or is it fans that are maybe getting to the point where they expect too much and want more and more in advance because they too are hit with the economic climate and need to watch the pennies.

I dont think they were blaming fans for the failure of event but maybe they put too much faith in them for buying tickets on the promise of more guests, and lets not forget Jason and Mark are also Fans so it isnt something they would have done lightly.

No its because Micheal was only at a certain convention so fans of his who like him in other things cant be bothered just to waste all their money to see one person while he should if just been anounced for LFCC or Collectormania London where it would of be reasonable and a good opportunity to fans to just purchase his autograph instead of a rip off package.

No he has been in other things then just saw as iam a fan it be great but yes i liked Lost in some seasons but i wouldnt buy an expensive package just to see him. Also i liked him in law and order, x files, the thin line and a weird film unfaithful, so to really answer you question its not just for SAW but for other fans that my not like lost to get a chance to meet him and by saving money so they dont have to pay a rediclous sum of money for show. For example the LFCC or Collectomania you dont only entry fee for LFCC and thats not bad.

• Moderators

Yeah, but that's like saying they shouldn't run conventions AT ALL, just because most of the guests have been in other stuff.

I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Plus they often try to get their convention guests along to signing events after anyway.

And don't forget scheduling is always difficult with actors who are still working, and so MK/London etc might not be possible. I'd certainly rather have had him at Abrams than nowhere!

Sod Saw I wanted him for LOST!!!!! He's amazing in it, truly awesome. I did like Saw though just for the record :)

Why saw that SAW was kind of his break if it wasent for the director of SAW to add him im sure of it he would not have the part for Lost, as i do agree he is a great actor but it seems like you think his only great performance is in Lost and thats not true why cant you guys respect him for something else as his true fans would.

I understand about schedules truly i do but it seems more fans would appritiate him at the LFCC then just one convention even if it was next year due to his busy time making new things. So he is recongnised for something else then just Lost, and people wounder why stars get so pissed off, that they do not sign certain things because people only think he is good in one thing nothing else they should respect him.

Look and if i may also add Showmasters should just have one big show every year that tours like for example most American shows do and have all these guests there from all the certain cons, this would be a far more profitable thing for showmasters as they dont have to pay for renting all of the venues and people can still have a choice of spending all their money on packages or just going to the show and meeting there guests with as much money to buy autographs from them instead of wasting it on one thing it would help people at a time like this as well as many prices get really expensive.

Edited by MICHEALS KILLER

• Showmasters Admin

But based on that theory NO guest should EVER go to a weekend convention!

What about Greg Grunberg. He did Alias and so he should not be a guest at a Heroes con because fans of Alias don't want to go to a heroes con?

What about Stephen Tobolowsky. He shouldn't have been a guest at a Heroes con?

Robert Llewellyn!!! People might like him for Scrapheap challenge. Should he never do ANY Red Dwarf cons?

Based on your argument there should NEVER be any guest at a show specific weekend con unless they are also at a signing event as well.

Really????

Edited by Too Tall

What about Greg Grunberg. He did Alias and so he should not be a guest at a Heroes con because fans of Alias don't want to go to a heroes con?

Robert Llewellyn!!! People might like him for Scrapheap challenge. Should he never do ANY Red Dwarf cons?

Based on your argument there should NEVER be any guest at a show specific weekend con unless they are also at a signing event as well.

Really????

Well if you think about it the Americans out smart us so much with their shows they make so much profit as they have all the guests there in one show a year and many people attend them and have a good time and see there guests they want without buying an expensive ticket. Also fans who like the certain guests from their favourite shows or films can meet them and dont have to waste so much money on going to a show that they may not want to attend for just one guest, its common sense.

Really????

Although that said, whilst I appreciate Michael Byrne's work in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", I'm not sure I'd want to go to a Coronation Street convention :(

• Showmasters Admin

And that's an argument for signing events over show specific full weekend cons. And I understand that that is your preference.

But a lot of people like a full weekend event specific to one show. They like to go and meet people that like the same show. They like the parties, they like the multiple talks. They like the fact that the event is themed to a specific show. It's a very different type of event.

Maybe it's not for you but there are two sides to every argument. You like signing events but that doesn't mean that others don't like show specific cons and that there isn't a market for them.

And that's an argument for signing events over show specific full weekend cons. And I understand that that is your preference.

But a lot of people like a full weekend event specific to one show. They like to go and meet people that like the same show. They like the parties, they like the multiple talks. They like the fact that the event is themed to a specific show. It's a very different type of event.

Maybe it's not for you but there are two sides to every argument. You like signing events but that doesn't mean that others don't like show specific cons and that there isn't a market for them.

Yeah but they can still have that the Americans do that with there shows they find the biggest Hall and cram everything in there and still give certain fans a great time with parties and talks.

Also they have certain areas for the stars of the shows to go with props from the films and tv shows it make every body happy and the guys above make s*** loads.

Plus would be a bonus for the business side and the guest situation they could still get more guests even big names and certain people from magazines and studios that are big names will sponsor you and join also bring great guests to advertise their films.

Edited by MICHEALS KILLER

• Moderators

But America is a whole different ball game so to speak. Most of the guests are based in America, and so the financial implications of having them attend an event differ HUGELY compared to having to fly them over here to the UK.

It's just not comparable financially. Yes, you can compare it on paper and say 'sure, they run this and this better' but if you sat down and balanced the books on what it'd take to emulate the same thing OVER HERE, it's never going to work out on the same scale.