Showmasters: What is going on?

Lambourne

I have already paid for my ticket with Michael Emerson being announced and the promise of more guests coming 'quite soon', but the very fact that there has yet to be another guest announcement at this point is starting to worry me considering the amount of time and money this event will be costing me.

I'm probably one of the lucky ones seen as though I'm actually attending for Lost, if I was attending for Fringe or Alias at this point I probably would not be in the best of moods.

I undersatnd SM are probably trying there hardest at the moments and I don't want to put you guys down, I'm sure the show will be very good as usual, but it would be nice to hear from you because i think we are all hoping for another announcement soon or atleast confirmation on what's going on.

Thanks a lot, Ben.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd be good for goodwill

it looks to me that people on this forum just want a simple acknowledgement that they matter and would be happy with that until SM can give them further information.

Yes... yes, I think a lot of people want that. You'd think it's simple, huh? :D

Anyway, where's everyone hearing that only 90 tickets were sold? That sounds like an awful few...

I checked how many they had sold last week and it was 89...

I would still go just to see Michael for definite. Out of a terrific cast, he's easily my favourite character/actor. I wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to see him here in the UK, because it might not come again.

if they are getting more guests or not, are running this event or not, then either way they need to let people know.

As others have said its bad business to not let people know what is going on especially those who have already booked a ticket to come to the event

One suspects they've been working the phones like a bunch of motherlovers over the past few days especially, and I suspect that they have at least one agent who will get back to them very soon. This no doubt has caused them to wait, delaying in the hope that when they do post they'll have some good news. Having a little experience of dealing with agents of performing artistes, I can testify that quite a few of them have a pretty elastic concept of time; military precision split-second timetabling it is not. I could quite imagine that ME have been told to wait "just a little bit longer" for a confirmation, and unfortunately in this case it would seem that "just a little bit longer" has pushed them beyond what many people would deem as an acceptable period without public communication.

I personally can't see what the point would be if they run this event and make a lose, personally they should quit while there ahead with this one,

Perhaps because the difference in costs between cancelling and going ahead aren't that much, so rather than brass everybody off completely, at least try to do something that might give some folk a halfway decent time, rather than annoy everyone?

Perhaps because the difference in costs between cancelling and going ahead aren't that much, so rather than brass everybody off completely, at least try to do something that might give some folk a halfway decent time, rather than annoy everyone?

Too true. If they cancelled the whole thing, they'd still lose out, and on top of that have to deal with a lot of flak from people who (like myself) have already booked transport and accomodation which may not be refundable.

That's not a threat by the way - I'm not saying I would lay into them or anything, just that I think in terms of getting something for their money, many people would rather the con go ahead in some form than not at all. Also, I understand they'd been trying to book Michael for a couple of years now, and now that they've finally 'hooked' him it would seem even more of a waste to cancel

Well there's your answer.... :rolleyes::blink:

Not even 90 apparently - Only 67 tickets sold - to be fair it just wasn't viable with those numbers.

*edited*

Please can you and anyone else refrain from checking the online shop for figures relating to ticket sales.

Too Tall has already stated that this isn't a reliable method of doing so, plus there are other problems that come along with it.

So please stop checking it like that, and don't post ticket sales yourself. Thank you.

Edited by DavidB

this is a joke not running the event because of no interest what tosh, theres plenty of interest they just had to work at it, buy one or two more guests and it would have worked.

how do they expect people to use there money and take the risk if they wont either. cons cost a lot of money sadly so there has to be something to back it up.

they had three shows to choose from - why couldnt they just get 1 small guest just to rest the fans minds.

:chair: oh well role on hallowhedon i guess.

this is a joke not running the event because of no interest what tosh, theres plenty of interest they just had to work at it, buy one or two more guests and it would have worked.

how do they expect people to use there money and take the risk if they wont either. cons cost a lot of money sadly so there has to be something to back it up.

they had three shows to choose from - why couldnt they just get 1 small guest just to rest the fans minds.

As I've said in the 'other' thread, if it were me I would have cancelled it before Michael Emerson was announced. I know it's really sad to say it, but this isn't the economic climate for taking risks :(

:( oh well role on hallowhedon i guess.

The recession makes everyone less likely to risk.

Omg all sm had to do is take a risk and book someone else then the tickets would have plumeted in sales . As alot of people hadnt purchased tickets yet beacuse we were all seeing if there was going to be other guests. I didnt see abrams inc advertised many places like lost,alias,fringe fan sites.

I cant believe its canceled i was looking foreword to go. Couldnt they do an event just with micheal?

Edited by Scifimaniac

I have to say I'm always quietly amused by the people who crop up in these situations and say things like : -

Stop thinking you know it all and seek independent advice on how to run a successful business

The irony is of course that the vast majority of such people know absolutely nothing about running a business, in any sense. You can all throw in your 2ps all you like, but while some are viable points, most is uninformed nonsense.

What I suggest is that instead of mouthing off, you actually approach Showmasters with a proposal. For what it's worth, I would agree that SM don't do advertising particularly well, they rely a bit too much on word of mouth, and there are many ways to improve their approach. So call them up, sort out a prepared presentation, go and in impress Jason with your ideas as to how to make those aspects of the events better. Take some data that backs up what you're saying, back it up with figures, costs, projected gains based upon the experiences of similar events, etc. and finish it up with a concrete proposal. If you do it in a professional way, I suspect he'll listen to your ideas.

But don't just start posting on this forum mouthing off about how you "know about business". It's pointless, non-productive, and whatever good points you might have will be lost in a sea of uninformed, worthless, and juvenile opinion.

I certainly won't be buying a ticket in advance for this type of event again. I genuinely want to support cons such as these, but the plain fact is I can't afford to risk my money like that. I just don't have enough spare to be able to chance £80 or so.

It's a shame that more tickets weren't sold, but after what happened with some previous cons, it's inevitable that people will be wary of committing their money and time until a strong guest line up - in terms of both quality and quantity - is in place.

I am surprised at how few people bought tickets, though. Michael Emerson may not be your conventional Josh Hollway pin-up type, but in my estimation, from trawling a fair few Lost forums he's one of the most popular actors in the show (and has a good number of adoring female fans, too... )

I have to say I'm always quietly amused by the people who crop up in these situations and say things like : -

Stop thinking you know it all and seek independent advice on how to run a successful business

The irony is of course that the vast majority of such people know absolutely nothing about running a business, in any sense. You can all throw in your 2ps all you like, but while some are viable points, most is uninformed nonsense.

What I suggest is that instead of mouthing off, you actually approach Showmasters with a proposal. For what it's worth, I would agree that SM don't do advertising particularly well, they rely a bit too much on word of mouth, and there are many ways to improve their approach. So call them up, sort out a prepared presentation, go and in impress Jason with your ideas as to how to make those aspects of the events better. Take some data that backs up what you're saying, back it up with figures, costs, projected gains based upon the experiences of similar events, etc. and finish it up with a concrete proposal. If you do it in a professional way, I suspect he'll listen to your ideas.

But don't just start posting on this forum mouthing off about how you "know about business". It's pointless, non-productive, and whatever good points you might have will be lost in a sea of uninformed, worthless, and juvenile opinion.

Yes but its the same basis - Nothing to do with capacity.

I would never dispute the fact that they have been running these events for years, the problem is they havent grown. This is the problem, Eclipse 1 was huge, Eclipse 3 was a let down, Lockdown was ok ish, this has failed. If they are going to CONTINUE to be a success, then something radical needs to happen. Trust me, I have lost count of the amount of businesses that I have seen go down the pan for this reason, some pull their socks up and turn it around, but not many and I do hope that Showmasters are one of them, as I am a big fan!

I would like to help with what you sugest, I just dont have the time.

For the record, its anyones right to come on here and post their feelings on the matter!

I certainly won't be buying a ticket in advance for this type of event again. I genuinely want to support cons such as these, but the plain fact is I can't afford to risk my money like that. I just don't have enough spare to be able to chance £80 or so.

But you aren't ever risking the ticket money itself. Showmasters have NEVER failed to refund any tickets, unlike other events in the past which have folded, owing lots of money to potential attendees.

Yes, I realise there are some people who have sadly lost out on the money they've spent on travel and/or non-event hotels. I really feel sorry for them and I hope that Showmasters can come up with some way of repaying them for their support, even if they aren't able to refund these costs.

For the record, its anyones right to come on here and post their feelings on the matter!

No, that's not actually true. This nis a private forum, where there is an open invite for people to participate. That invite can be withdrawn if the terms and stanards of the forum are not met (hell, technically, it can be withdrawn if the forum owners just decide to).