Showmasters: What is going on?

Lambourne

Because this silence is very ridiculous, we have decided to contact Michael's agent to know :

- if he knows that there is the convention

- if he has some news about Showamsters about an eventual cancellation.

We hope to have some informations very soon about that.

Perhaps we will have news from Showmasters before... We can always dream :unsure:

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that might sound good in theory... if the only reason SM are holding out is that they're just about to announce, say, Matthew Fox or Daniel Dae Kim as they're both recently in this country, then all that email to Michael will do will make him weary of the event and the contract he has signed, and it might make him cancel regardless. I'm afraid that email is going to do more harm than good! Have you sent it already?

I know everyone is anxious, as I am too, but please try not to do anything rash people... if the event does go ahead, stuff like this could further harm it. Michael may see that email and decide never to come to another Showmasters event. Then where does that leave us?!

While that might sound good in theory... if the only reason SM are holding out is that they're just about to announce, say, Matthew Fox or Daniel Dae Kim as they're both recently in this country, then all that email to Michael will do will make him weary of the event and the contract he has signed, and it might make him cancel regardless. I'm afraid that email is going to do more harm than good! Have you sent it already?

I know everyone is anxious, as I am too, but please try not to do anything rash people... if the event does go ahead, stuff like this could further harm it. Michael may see that email and decide never to come to another Showmasters event. Then where does that leave us?!

I definitely agree with Lizzy. Yes we all really, really want answers and the lack of reply from SM makes us want to look for other ways to get answers, however I don't think this is the way and will only do more bad than good.

• Moderators

And as I'd said to seb in another section, please can we keep all complaints about Abrams to this section.

We don't need snide remarks in every topic that they update in. It's not going to do anyone any favours.

We're letting everything go in this section, so you can speak freely within reason.

Yes, I agree too with Lizzy.

The fact that we don't hear anything, might not be the best case. But not the worst either. I think it means that they are discussing something, and for the fact that they didn't tell us yet, means they haven't decided yet.

Wow, people agreeing with me twice in one thread... I'm on a roll :D

I think we should all watch some Lost and calm down... although that program is too complicated and frustrating to stay calm :WAVE:

Ah, that's about where I am too- snap!!

I've literally just turned off my TV and logged on after watching.... Episode 14! Dum dum dum!!!!! (It's Season three but it still counts!)

Edited by Lambourne

Look, someone said 90 tickets had been sold? What's a ticket, £100? So that's £9000. Now, I've never been to a 'show specific' convention of SM's as it happens, but if that's right, surely this isn't enough to support it financially??

No one's saying that this has been a success. We just want news one way or the other.

Also, although I'm sure 90 isn't at least far of the number of tickets sold, has anyone official actual given us any information on ticket numbers?

No one's saying that this has been a success. We just want news one way or the other.

OK, so what I'm getting at is that if that figure is at all accurate, that leaves us with 90 tickets, at an average price of £100. So, the event as a whole has brought in £9000, let's say. Now we could figure out some figures for the hotel, and makes some guesses about Michael Emerson's booking fee, but one thing's for sure - if our figures are at all accurate, Showmasters are going to lose money, potentially a lot, on this event. So where does that leave us? We do know one thing : -

*You're not going to get another guest.

Frankly, there's no money for it.

Which leaves us with one more question - is the show going to be cancelled? Well, Jason has got a history of not cancelling shows, despite them losing money. If they cancelled the event, SM have to refund you, whereas they will still have to pay their costs - I doubt the hotel is refundable, I doubt Michael Emerson is refundable. On top of that, think of all the people with non-refundable flights, hotels, etc., and all the inevitable 'badwill'. So all things told, carrying on with the show is the only thing to do. The *only* thing I can see altering that stance is if Michael Emerson cancels, which might make things a bit difficult, and could potentially make it worthwhile for SM to cancel (because the only major liability then would be the venue).

So if you agree with my reasoning, that means

* The show isn't going to be cancelled

BUT

* You aren't getting any more guests

So, there's your news, we've answered our own questions. I'm not saying this lets SM off the hook for what appears to be poor communication for this event, but I am saying that the situation is pretty crystal clear without them spelling it out.

Edited by MikeDonovan

Look, someone said 90 tickets had been sold? What's a ticket, £100? So that's £9000. Now, I've never been to a 'show specific' convention of SM's as it happens, but if that's right, surely this isn't enough to support it financially??

sorry mate but £9000 will get you the venue and the rooms for the crew (i don't know if you guys get pt up for the night or not)

but i've been told that some of the bigger guests are close to £30,000 for appearances, that includes flights and accommodation and meals (did not hear this from SM but from another organizer, and the guest was prob on par with michael)

sorry mate but £9000 will get you the venue and the rooms for the crew (i don't know if you guys get pt up for the night or not)

but i've been told that some of the bigger guests are close to £30,000 for appearances, that includes flights and accommodation and meals (did not hear this from SM but from another organizer, and the guest was prob on par with michael)

... so, you agree with my point, yes?

... so, you agree with my point, yes?

of all the time i've been on the board i've only seen jason cancel one event, i've seen him run events where he can only make a loss and i've seen him take stick from dealers about the poor turn outs and then 5 minutes later those dealers renewing tables for the next show

if i was going to put money on it i'ld say its going to go ahead

• Moderators

And all of this is no doubt a debate they're having within their own organisation, as I know they don't give up lightly.

It's the same reason why guest cancellations can often take a little while to filter through before being announced. The truth is that they explore every possible avenue for working around a situation before finally saying that it's not doable.

Of course this is even trickier because it's a whole event, and it's a huge decision to make to cancel it. So if they're spending their time trying to find out a viable way to carry this on in some form, I guess I'd rather be patient and wait for news.

if our figures are at all accurate, Showmasters are going to lose money, potentially a lot, on this event.

There's also the guaranteed sales for hotel rooms. If about 90 tickets have been sold, that could be as few as 45 rooms sold.

OK, so what I'm getting at is that if that figure is at all accurate, that leaves us with 90 tickets, at an average price of £100. So, the event as a whole has brought in £9000, let's say. Now we could figure out some figures for the hotel, and makes some guesses about Michael Emerson's booking fee, but one thing's for sure - if our figures are at all accurate, Showmasters are going to lose money, potentially a lot, on this event. So where does that leave us? We do know one thing : -

*You're not going to get another guest.

Frankly, there's no money for it.

Which leaves us with one more question - is the show going to be cancelled? Well, Jason has got a history of not cancelling shows, despite them losing money. If they cancelled the event, SM have to refund you, whereas they will still have to pay their costs - I doubt the hotel is refundable, I doubt Michael Emerson is refundable. On top of that, think of all the people with non-refundable flights, hotels, etc., and all the inevitable 'badwill'. So all things told, carrying on with the show is the only thing to do. The *only* thing I can see altering that stance is if Michael Emerson cancels, which might make things a bit difficult.

So if you agree with my reasoning, that means

* The show isn't going to be cancelled

BUT

* You aren't getting any more guests

So, there's your news, we've answered our own questions. I'm not saying this lets SM off the hook for what appears to be poor communication for this event, but I am saying that the situation is pretty crystal clear without them spelling it out.

Nice theory but it's still a theory.

I guess everyone has his own idea on how things would/should/could work but what were looking forward to is an official statement from the organizers themselves... as only them can tell what it's all about.

With all respect due, it's useless imo that anyone on here that's not a part of the organization starts elaborates theories.

So far though, there are concerns from customers related to a particular event (Abrams Inc.) I know what those concerns are coming from regarding the lack of updates in this forum since months now. Whether those concerns are rightly founded or not, (potential) clients deserve an answer.

SM / ME didn't feel like getting back to us for some reason. Whatever this reason can be, it's a wrong one and in any other business, such a silence from a company to its customers would not make the client happy and you wouldn't see him back. Unfortunately for us, SM know their predominant position in this very particular business allow them to see their clients keep coming back because that's (almost) the only way people like us can meet TV/movie stars we want to meet.

Trying to make out a way to make that event viable? That's fine, but customers deserve to know if there's a problem or not and surely deserve just a simple post from the organizers when it's obvious that's what everyone is asking for. News.

Edited by God L'Eponge

if i was going to put money on it i'ld say its going to go ahead

I agree - and if we also make the pretty solid assumption that there isn't going to be any more guests, I think we can assume that the status quo is going to be maintained.

The only thing I can see affecting this, as I say, is if Emerson cancels. At that point, it might start becoming financially viable to cancel the event. But even then, and especially if it was a late notice cancellation, I suspect Jason would go on with the show - he generally does not appear to like letting people down.

So, out of the three questions that pervade this thread : -

Are we getting another guest? No.

Is it being cancelled? No.

Do SM need to communicate with you lot a little better? Probably, yes.

And all of this is no doubt a debate they're having within their own organisation, as I know they don't give up lightly.

It's the same reason why guest cancellations can often take a little while to filter through before being announced. The truth is that they explore every possible avenue for working around a situation before finally saying that it's not doable.

Of course this is even trickier because it's a whole event, and it's a huge decision to make to cancel it. So if they're spending their time trying to find out a viable way to carry this on in some form, I guess I'd rather be patient and wait for news.

i'm sticking with David on this one, its hard but be patient

its like the Ents from lord of the rings, don't say anything unless its really worth saying and i'm sure SM and ME are looking at every road they could go down and how possible they each are

With all respect due, it's useless imo that anyone on here that's not a part of the organization starts elaborates theories.

I'm not defending SM's lack of communication. What I'm pointing out is that the situation is pretty clear. That may well be 'useless', but I could equally point out that whilst you guys have made your point (and even some of the moderators here have agreed with you), the situation with the event is clear, so this conversation is now going around in circles. No-one's saying you can't discuss it, but you've passed the point of diminishing returns.

Edited by MikeDonovan

I'm not defending SM's lack of communication. What I'm pointing out is that the situation is pretty clear. That may well be 'useless', but I could equally point out that whilst you guys have made your point (and even some of the moderators here have agreed with you) the situation with the event is clear, so this conversation is now going around in circles.

I understand what you mean and i know you're not on "one side or the other" but i do not agree when you say the situation with the event is clear, as there wouldn't be any concerns from anyone if that was the case.

We have a date, a venue, a guest, and no official statement that the event will be cancelled.

At first, we could indeed think the situation is pretty clear. The event should be held then as there was no opposite statement.

But what seems pretty unclear to me and probably to some other forum members is why photoshoot tickets that were said to be put on sale a week after Michael's announcement are still not available, 1 month before the event? Is there any reason for this?

That looks like if SM isn't sure about Michael's appearance at the event. Of course we might interprete things our own way, and the wrong way.

But that's why it would be a bit of a reassurance hearing from the organizers themselves when it comes to that event.

I wish Dave from Autographica was in charge of all SM's events, at least he's always answering people's concerns, and it doesn't take weeks to do.

Edited by God L'Eponge