My unique experience at the event - Review

pjrbugeja

It's an interesting report, and an unfortunate experience, and I'm sorry you had such an unfortunate time. In the event's defence, I would point out that there is a pinned post called "How it works" (or something similar) by Too Tall that has been there since mid February - that explains the whole "doing things by groups" arrangement. I guess with an event like this where folks have certain things to do as per their ticket, a greater degree of regimentation and organisation is not only possible but necessary.

As for disabilities, I would say that in several years of reading these boards, I have seen countless times people enquiring about facilities or arrangements for the disabled. In pretty much every case, Too Tall has posted that if you contact him beforehand he'll be happy to discuss issues and arrangements on a case by case basis, and I don't think that I've ever seen any negative feedback from anybody who has done this. I know that it's not particularly empowering for independent-minded folk to have to ask for special treatment because of a disability, but given that you seem to suffer quite significantly, I'm sure that raising it in advance with Too Tall could have led to a much more positive experience. I'd strongly suggest that you try to discuss any potential issues with him before any future shows; it certainly seems that you have devised a startegy that allows you to cope (or suffer in silence) at some of the signing events, but even there there may be ways that they can help; I'm sure they would be distressed to hear of you suffering, but they can't help if they don't know about it.

Thanks, I've amended that now. Still exhausted, brain's not functioning properly! :chair:

Thanks TommyT. I'll look into doing that for future events.

I really don't mean for it to come across as moaning, as I say in the post I'm an exception to the rule and had a unique experience compared to others. I still enjoy getting the autographs and meeting the guests. I just don't have a lot of luck at these things and it's difficult when you look all fine on the outside but are crumbling away on the inside and have to ask for special treatment. Like you say I suffer in silence most of the time. Not a lot I can do.

I'll still go to events as long as I can!

Do you have a disabled badge for driving at all?

My best friend is disabled and doesn't look it and sometimes when we've been various places he has taken his parking badge with him.

I know you don't need to "prove" anything, but it may be helpful.

• Showmasters Admin

I've just read your blog too.

No we don't have a disabled badge. As TommyT explained we prefer to work on a case by case system. Where I talk to the people involved and we come to the best solution for them within what can be done. It works. We've had a number of people come to the ME events with disabilities. One of the main things that comes out time and time again is that they may need a bit of help here or there, but they don't want a disabled badge. They don't want to stand out.

In future if you come to an ME event please do ask to talk to me. And I will sort things out for you. Jumping to the front of queues isn't likely to be one of them. But there are a number of things we can do to help.

On the specific note of getting on the back of Roberts queue.

You have to understand that whenever we close a queue we get 10,15,30 people coming up and asking, can "just they quickly get in the queue". The queue has been closed at that point because we know roughly how much time it'll take for the guest to get through that many people. If we start adding 5 or 10, that can be an extra 5+ minutes on them being there. You have to understand that there maybe things you don't know about that are going on. His talk may not be for another 30 minutes. But you're not aware that the guest needs to do something personal first. They are human after all, even Robert :headscratch:

Your reason for needing to get in the queue maybe quite legitimate, but we get told so many lies by people trying to get into a closed queue that we have to have a "once the queue is closed that's it" policy. I'm not sure why or how these extra people you mentioned got into the queue as they obviously shouldn't have either and I will be keeping an eye on that.

I'm sorry if the crew didn't talk to you in a way you liked and that I agree isn't good. But I know from experience that it's very hard to tell the 20th person to ask you for the same "favour" the answer as if they are the first person to ask.

I've had a few ops in the last few years on my feet, and when they are playing up, I can find the events tough. I had the last one just before LFCC last year, and emailed TT just before it, and he helped me out at LFCC. Trust me, looking at me, you could never tell I've had a lot done... there must be so many people at these events who'll (unfortunately for us) put on a limp to try and get favours. How can you distinguish them from those of us who are genuine? I've actually heard of people bringing crutches to get favours! I've had them at quite a few events, but only once have I asked for help as I didn't want to seem needy, or take away from those I would feel were worse off than me at the time.

You should speak to someone before hand next time, and should have asked the hotel about parking.

As for the Craig situation- never EVER believe second hand info at these shows. Chinese whispers!! Craig and the crew have a great relationship with SM, and it would harm this for them to falsely advertise him. He knew about it on his radio show in the evening and said he felt unwell. The next morning he was seen out and about... going to church! 2 mins away from his home in Manchester is a bit different to 3 hours away in bedford :headscratch:

I think as your heading says it was your "unique" experience

However, no matter what experience people have, as anyone will tell you, if you need help, you need to ask in advance .

If you have problems with crew, ( I find strange it could be as often as you say), then you need report them at the time rather than make comments on here which could point the finger at the wrong person.

You also mention gold passes not being worth it, well for what was charged this weekend and for what people got then I am not sure how you can say that, assuming you got all your autos and photo sessions made available to you.

ME try to make their events different to the run of the mill and put a lot of effort into everything so you definately need to speak up in advance for any help needed and complain at the time if crew are not acting in a reasonable manner.

• Showmasters Admin

Hey all,

I haven't posted in a long old while but I did write a long review of my personal experience at Better than life this past weekend on my blog www.kryptonianwarrior.blogspot.com

It's HERE if you want to read it.

See you all at Collectormania London in November!

Kryptonian Warrior

(aka 'The Mohican Headed one')

hi KryptonianWarrior how on earth did you manage 4 days at san diego it kills me and i only get to do two full days :wub:

jason :hathor:

Hey all,

I haven't posted in a long old while but I did write a long review of my personal experience at Better than life this past weekend on my blog www.kryptonianwarrior.blogspot.com

It's HERE if you want to read it.

See you all at Collectormania London in November!

Kryptonian Warrior

(aka 'The Mohican Headed one')

hi KryptonianWarrior how on earth did you manage 4 days at san diego it kills me and i only get to do two full days :wub:

jason :hathor:

Don't say that, I'm doing 4 days THIS year! :wub:

Can you smuggle me in your suitcase, Chris? I wana goooooo! And a certain Las Vegas one in August for a show I like... it'd only cost me about £4000... ugh! :angry:

Can on the way there, as it will be empty... hopefully less so for the journey back :thumbup:

Can you smuggle me in your suitcase, Chris? I wana goooooo! And a certain Las Vegas one in August for a show I like... it'd only cost me about £4000... ugh! :P

Can on the way there, as it will be empty... hopefully less so for the journey back :(

As long as you only buy soft things, I don't mind!!!

Hi all,

Right let's see if I can answer a few things here:

Purple Vamp - No unfortunately I don't have a disabled badge for parking, it would help beyond belief, especially for the future when this starts to get worse, but for now I am not eligible due to not meeting some of the requirements. I am, for all intents and purposes, able to do everything an able bodied person can do in the eyes of the rules and regs. They obviously can't rate pain, even though they know the problems are there!

Too Tall - Thanks, I'll consider that for future events. You've been a great help to me in the past, even when it's just a simple question I've asked, so I'll come to you if I can't cope. It's only been the last year or so that my problems have hit but at this event they took their toll. On the issue with Robert's queue: I completely understand that rules are there to be adhered to and that if you change them for one person, you have to change them for everyone else. Believe me, I worked in customer care for 13 years and I know. However I did try to explain my 'unique' request politely and got unceremoniously shot down for my trouble. I would have been better off just walking straight into the queue without asking. My fault for being so nice... As I said I look perfectly healthy, and the hair is a rebelious thing jokey thing, I'm not some dodgy geezer trying to bend the rules to get what I want. You can but only ask and see where it gets you. Sometimes that's nowhere.

Lizzy - I've never needed anything from anyone in the past. I've paid my way and queued like everyone else for the past few years and I've just had to deal with how crap I ended up feeling on the trip home. This one was obviously just too much for me. Collectormainia 15 seemed fine, except the ice cold weather freezing my hips whilst standing on the stadium's concrete floors! As I said in the blog the information wasn't obtained by me first hand, but I had no reason to distrust these two people that told me. They were quite sincere and not shocked that Craig hadn't attended. I attended the event in question myself last month and Craig did not want to be there at all. He wasn't ill, he was depressed and morose. Who knows, and at this point who cares, it's all over and done with and my feelings have been vented one way or another! :drunk:

Scruffy - Regarding the Gold pass: I said it wasn't worth it for me. Remember I was only there for the autographs and to meet the guests and nothing else. I wasn't able to attend the included talks, parties or anything else that was offered in the package. I did the photoshoots as there was time in between each signing and the queues went relatively quickly. For anyone else who attended the entire event I'm sure they thought it was worth it. I've seen numerous complaints about Gold pass pricing in the past on here. But I pay the price to get what I need, simple as that. As I pointed out, my reasons for getting a Gold pass are different to everyone else, I just need a 'get in quick and go' pass, hence me mentioning the disability pass. Two years ago that wouldn't have been on my mind due to all this not being an issue for me.

Jason - Actually it was 5 days both in 2007 and 2008 because of the Wednesday preview night. The first event I was manning our company stand and was sitting for a large portion of the time. I felt almost dead by the Sunday but my body wasn't at the problomatic level it is now. At last years con I was on holiday and didn't need to man the stall. I walked for almost 10 hours a day for 5 straight days, and you know from personal experience just how difficult it can be to get around the SDCC, especially on the Saturday. We UK based fans don't know how easy we have it over here at our modest sized events. It took me almost 15 - 20 minutes to get from one side to the other most of the time and Americans have no problem knocking you flying to get to what they want too either. I ended up having almost a week off work for jetlag/ exhaustion when I returned, hence me not going this year...

I attended the event in question myself last month and Craig did not want to be there at all. He wasn't ill, he was depressed and morose. Who knows, and at this point who cares, it's all over and done with and my feelings have been vented one way or another! :D

Those organisers treat their guests appallingly and haven't had many non- amine repeat guests recently. I have that on good word from a fair few Trek guests that they will never attend again and will tell all their co stars. No Trekkers have been since!! If you're treated badly, you won't have a good time- and it doesn't sound like he did. But BTL was totally down to illness as he told the public on radio, and SM the next morning. He hadn't made up his mind till then.