What did everyone think?

Christoff

Craig genuinely was ill as he had an evening radio show the night before and cancelled that last min too

He didn't cancel his radio show, he presented his Funk and Soul show as usual, and even mentioned that he would probably not be able to make it to the con.

I enjoyed the weekend and can't really fault it in any way, but a few recommendations;

As said previously, the drinks reception was very hot and busy. I gave up after a while and went back to my room. With the exception of Lockdown, all the ones I've been to were like that, so perhaps a bigger room would help.

I've always thought it would be great if con attendees could get a free auto or photo session from a cancelled guest at a future appearance. Like, if Chris Barrie went to LFCC and Better Than Life attendees could show their booklet or something to get the auto they would have had he not cancelled. It would stop a lot of the frustration that occurs when the (inevitable) cancellations are announced.

The main thing I am desperate for is for no more cons in Bedford. Please! The transport issue almost put me off going to this. I did think it was a one-off though and that Massive Events are now using Northampton again, but my heart sank when they said onstage that next year's con was going to be there again. No trains running on Sunday? An hour from Bletchley to Bedford? Make it in Northampton or somewhere even easier to get to (Milton Keynes even?) and I will be there.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, this was the first RD Con that Massive events have done, so I can understand that they didn’t quite match the official one, but they almost did, which is more than I thought they would. Get a half decent DJ next time and you are sorted!

I was told that it was the same guy they had for the original Chevron 7 con and everybody hated him there.

In fact some people who went to that con have never come back to ME.

They got someone else for Chevron 7.2 who was way better, and I want to know what happened to him?

If they got the other guy back the party would have gone alot better for loads of people.

I also spoke to someone there who did DJs for weddings and he said some of the music that was played is guaranteed to clear the dance floor.

Not attending a con because you don't like the DJ from the previous one? Ok....that's a new reason

Anyway, the music is hard to get right. So many different tastes. If I got the music I wanted, I could probably scare 95% of the attendees and make the other 5% have a heart attack :lol:

I don't go to the cons for the party.

Edited by Grazer

The main thing I am desperate for is for no more cons in Bedford. Please! The transport issue almost put me off going to this. I did think it was a one-off though and that Massive Events are now using Northampton again, but my heart sank when they said onstage that next year's con was going to be there again. No trains running on Sunday? An hour from Bletchley to Bedford? Make it in Northampton or somewhere even easier to get to (Milton Keynes even?) and I will be there.

Yes, please no more cons in Bedford. The Park Inn is awful as a hotel, even a Travelodge I stayed at (which are meant to be decent) this time had problems as bad as those faced at the Park Inn for Chevron 7.2

Not attending a con because you don't like the DJ from the previous one? Ok....that's a new reason

Very odd indeed, I don't even attend the parties lol, I've gone up for a few minutes and just get bored, and they're just extras anyway, hardly the main attraction of the event!

Very odd indeed, I don't even attend the parties lol, I've gone up for a few minutes and just get bored, and they're just extras anyway, hardly the main attraction of the event!

Exactly. If the party was important, I'd go to a party

• Moderators

I just find it a bit weird that apparently ME did better on everything else BUT the party, and therefore their event wasn't as good?

Yes, it's unfortunate if someone didn't enjoy the party, but if partying is your priority then there's cheaper and better things to be doing than a convention :lol:

Craig genuinely was ill as he had an evening radio show the night before and cancelled that last min too

He didn't cancel his radio show, he presented his Funk and Soul show as usual, and even mentioned that he would probably not be able to make it to the con.

Ah, indeed. Someone told me he cancelled it- they prob got their wires crossed and meant he cancelled the bedford show on it. *shrugs*

Bedford was awful to drive to. The M25- easy. Getting through Bedford's roadworks was a nightmare! The last half hour of the journey was sooo stressful- and I did it 2 days in a row- ugh!

Exactly. If the party was important, I'd go to a party

I missed both of them due to tiredness and too much work- and I enjoyed myself just as much- parties tend to be a bonus. I don't care about the music- tis the atmosphere that's best! (And I like hard rock anyway lol :lol: )

I travelled from Liverpool on the saturday morning and just about made it, dreaded sunday we ended up going into london st pancras and walking to euston..then the train only went to runcorn....if mother in law hadnt picked us up i think we would still be on the bus home now :lol:

Edited by gidda1974

It was my very first con and I have to say over all with the cancelations and party's I did really enjoy myself. I meet some amazing people that made me feel very welcome, so thank you very much.

I look forward to attending many more. :lol:

I just find it a bit weird that apparently ME did better on everything else BUT the party, and therefore their event wasn't as good?

Yes, it's unfortunate if someone didn't enjoy the party, but if partying is your priority then there's cheaper and better things to be doing than a convention :lol:

By no means is the party the only reason to come to a con, but for many it is one of the highlights, and when you have a DJ as poor as the one we had at Better than Life, it can put a real damper on things. The trick is to play a bit of everything, and something that everyone likes. I saw some of the CDs the DJ had and there were plenty of great tracks which would of filled the dance floor. Someone even got hold of a peice of paper and wrote down a load of tracks that would of been great, but he just ignored the list and played Rock, much to the scrunched up faces of everyone in the room, excpt for the odd person who actually knew it.

Before I come to another massive events con I will need a cast iron guarantee that we will have a DJ that knows what they are doing on the Saturday night - and only plays a few Rock/Metal tracks and the same for all other genres!

Just thinking about how poor that DJ was just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

i really enjoyed the con.

:D

the guests were great fun and friendly.

i must admit that sunday morning felt a little flat around the hotel when it was announced that craig had cancelled- but these things happen.

i also need to tip my hat to danny who took to the stage in the afternoon for a mammoth 2 hours- i have not seen a guest ever stay on for that long in any convention before and his finale was awesome.

a big thank you to the crew who were good fun and helpful through out the weekend too.

i will definitely be booking up for btl2 next july

:lol:

I travelled from Liverpool on the saturday morning and just about made it, dreaded sunday we ended up going into london st pancras and walking to euston..then the train only went to runcorn....if mother in law hadnt picked us up i think we would still be on the bus home now :lol:

Personally, I was reasonably happy with Bedford, apart from the lack of places to get decent food on Sunday evening (next time I'll make sure I pick up something at lunchtime). However, I don't think there will ever be a location that will suit everyone.

Edited by dwarfbabe

Have to agree with previous posts...Bedford is a rubbish location...Birmingham seems better in so many ways as it is more central and has great transport links...please no more Bedford!!!

The hotel IS shabby...there were ants crawling on the floor of the bar and up the table legs....yuck! (and no I was not lying on the floor in a drunken heap to discover this....unfortunately!!)

• Showmasters Admin

well all your points will be taken on board and i know the next event will have many more guests as we were very unlucky this time and we will work out the things that did not work so well

as to the hotel as we saw its being renavated as we were there so any events we run there next time it will be like a brand new hotel so give it a chance as we need a hotel of this size to grow new cons out of so next year this hotel will work well

anyway thanks for the input and we have gotten this event out the way and next time we will show you all what we can do

we hope to see you there next time

jason :(

as to the hotel as we saw its being renavated as we were there so any events we run there next time it will be like a brand new hotel so give it a chance as we need a hotel of this size to grow new cons out of so next year this hotel will work well

And similarly, the roadworks might not be there next year...but I can't promise!

:chair:

the roadworks might not be there next year...but I can't promise!

:chair:

Lol I saw a sign saying they were lasting until some time in 2010!

I enjoyed the weekend and can't really fault it in any way, but a few recommendations;

As said previously, the drinks reception was very hot and busy. I gave up after a while and went back to my room. With the exception of Lockdown, all the ones I've been to were like that, so perhaps a bigger room would help.

I've always thought it would be great if con attendees could get a free auto or photo session from a cancelled guest at a future appearance. Like, if Chris Barrie went to LFCC and Better Than Life attendees could show their booklet or something to get the auto they would have had he not cancelled. It would stop a lot of the frustration that occurs when the (inevitable) cancellations are announced.

I know what you mean about the trains - I live in Northamptonshire and it was a nightmare on sunday, I had to take a train to Milton Keynes, then a bus all the way to Luton, then train to Bedford. I didn't arrive till 11 am!

[as to the hotel as we saw its being renavated as we were there so any events we run there next time it will be like a brand new hotel so give it a chance as we need a hotel of this size to grow new cons out of so next year this hotel will work well]

Oh please don't use the Park Inn at Bedford next year. I know it's being renovated but they are keeping the hotel running at the same time. I've been staying in business hotels for the last 35 years and guess that there will be little chance of the Park Inn being completely finished by BTL2.

It will NOT be like a new hotel. It will be an old hotel with a lot of superficial improvements, mainly on the parts that are highly visible. The way the hotel is organised is poor, the staff try their best but were overwhelmed by the difficulties, the food choice will be similar - fancy names, high prices and poor quality. Just in case you do end up there (I certainly won't), a receptionist told me there was a Chinese Takeway only 80 yards away that delivers (free) to your room. I ordered and it was gorgeous.

It's not just the hotel itself - it is its location. Why down in Bedford??? As other guests have said, awful to get there, on no main-line railways or major bus routes (neither East-West nor North-South). Finally, I believe we had some mind bogglingly enterprising fans from America and Australia. They must have had fun getting to Bedford, I don't think.

Have a look at the Birmingham hotels. There are dozens on the same lines as the Park group. With the NEC close by you will be spoilt for choice. Don't forget that when the Park Inn Bedford is renovated, someone will have to pay for it - US. Birmingham has excellent transport connections. Most major road and rail networks pass through Brum. It has an International Airport with full shuttle services to most hotels. Also, as most of them are designed as conference hotels they have good and secure carparking facilities. No matter how much you tart-up the Park it will still only have space for about 80 cars (including overflow). I arrived early evening Friday and got the last space (literally).

By the way, I DON'T live in Birmingham, far from it, but I'm fed up with good "do's" of whatever kind being held in the deep south. Brum would be roughly central for everyone. A cracking selection of hotels at cheap prices and transport facilities second to none.

Personal choice - have BTL2 in Manchester. Yipppeeeeeee, Red Dwarf AND the Curry Mile.

By no means is the party the only reason to come to a con, but for many it is one of the highlights, and when you have a DJ as poor as the one we had at Better than Life, it can put a real damper on things. The trick is to play a bit of everything, and something that everyone likes. I saw some of the CDs the DJ had and there were plenty of great tracks which would of filled the dance floor. Someone even got hold of a peice of paper and wrote down a load of tracks that would of been great, but he just ignored the list and played Rock, much to the scrunched up faces of everyone in the room, excpt for the odd person who actually knew it.

Before I come to another massive events con I will need a cast iron guarantee that we will have a DJ that knows what they are doing on the Saturday night - and only plays a few Rock/Metal tracks and the same for all other genres!

Just thinking about how poor that DJ was just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Have to admit that I thought the DJ on Saturday (was it Davey?) did a pretty good job! I admit that I like indie rock a lot (and lets face it, musical taste is purely subjective), but I danced a lot to the cheese that he played (I vageuly remember Aha, Five and The Jam). I also remember that he played the con songs and the line dances, as well as some 60's stuff, so it seems like it was the usual mix? Can I ask what songs you requested that werne't played? I'm surprised there was a stack of CD's, I thought they usually just use a laptop loaded with MP3s! I think a bigger factor on Saturday was the heat. It got pretty warm in that room that evening and that might have put off some people from going in there any dancing?

I admit that the music on the Friday night was pretty dodgy, don't know who was the DJ on that evening. For me personally, I'd much rather than SM/ME kept the disco in house, rather than get a different DJ in. That way, they have more money to spend on guests! :headscratch:

Hi

This was my first proper con and it would have been a most enjoyable one if it wasn't for my accident on Sunday night during the Macarena!

I was very disappointed that Chris Barrie cancelled but was looking forward to meeting everyone else so it didn't spoil the weekend for me. Craig Charles cancelling so late on was also disappointing but couldn't be helped.

The hotel was a bit run-down but I've seen worse. The staff were friendly enough, especially the bar staff.

The party on Friday was a bit of a let down but there wasn't a lot of people expected so that was ok. Still had a nice time and met a few nice people.

The gold drinks reception was a bit of a let down, very crowded and only got to briefly chat with Hattie. However, I'd won a guest encounter with her so had already had chance to chat with it. There was only Chloe, Hattie and Steve there right? However, the free wine was a bonus, I didn't realise that was included, lovely surprise thank you :)

Must say, it was incredibly well organised, and I was impressed how well things got changed after Craig had cancelled. The highlight of my weekend was DJJ doing "Tongue-Tied", made my weekend! He really "saved the day" in my book.

The group photo shoot was a nice replacement for Craig. Hattie was trying to make me laugh by tickling me!

Downside was my unfortunate accident at the Sunday party (which was dead btw!), during the Macerena I twisted my knee (well I think that's what I've done) and fell to the ground. Getting 3 trains back to my home-town was the most painful experience I've ever encountered and had to ask for a wheelchair at two stations. I'm now off work for a week - which is a bonus but in a lot of pain. Thanks to Neil for carting me over to the chair when it happened, can't have been easy!

All in all a successful weekend and I really enjoyed meeting new people and the stars of the show.

Well done all crew, you did a fantastic job :)

Lindsay

Getting 3 trains back to my home-town was the most painful experience I've ever encountered

That's why I didn't like the Bedford location. Nothing to do with the hotel at all. My room was fine and looked very modern (maybe it was one of the ones "done-up" already?) and was VERY comfortable, but sadly no double glazing. The town was fine and a few eating spots (but beware Pizza Hut - they had ants crawling about when I went in!). But having to get 5 trains to get home, and being restricted to what trains are actually available was a pain in the neck. The Bedford to Bletchley train felt like it was being pushed along by a tractor. Sadly my trains were not cheap either.

So Ideally an easily accessible location, on a main train route, would be perfect. Whether it be Manchester, Birmingham, London, or even Northampton. As long as we have a choice of which train to go for, and can travel home on Sunday night if we want.

Getting 3 trains back to my home-town was the most painful experience I've ever encountered

That's why I didn't like the Bedford location. Nothing to do with the hotel at all. My room was fine and looked very modern (maybe it was one of the ones "done-up" already?) and was VERY comfortable, but sadly no double glazing. The town was fine and a few eating spots (but beware Pizza Hut - they had ants crawling about when I went in!). But having to get 5 trains to get home, and being restricted to what trains are actually available was a pain in the neck. The Bedford to Bletchley train felt like it was being pushed along by a tractor. Sadly my trains were not cheap either.

So Ideally an easily accessible location, on a main train route, would be perfect. Whether it be Manchester, Birmingham, London, or even Northampton. As long as we have a choice of which train to go for, and can travel home on Sunday night if we want.

It was perfect for me. Direct bus from Oxford to Bedford then a 5 minute walk from the bus station to the venue. :hathor:

I have to admit (does my opinion count even though I didn't attend?) the only reason I didn't attend was because it was held in Bedford. Shockingly, there is actually an entire population of people living north of Northampton, and Northampton was awkward enough to get to - but at least wasn't quite so appalling! I was literally in tears because of the transport conditions (and the hotel, though that appears to be getting up to scratch slowly) so there's absolutely no chance of me (and quite a few others I spoke to) attending an event in Bedford again. I'm not sure what logic - if any - was used in deciding to use Bedford, unless it was the "it's easy from Milton Keynes/London" logic. A 2.5 hour journey home from Northampton vs an almost 5 hour journey home from Bedford - and that's if London Midland actually have any staff for the Bedford route, which it rarely does! If London Midland are short of staff, I'd be happy to take a job :hathor:

Have to admit that I thought the DJ on Saturday (was it Davey?) did a pretty good job! I admit that I like indie rock a lot (and lets face it, musical taste is purely subjective), but I danced a lot to the cheese that he played (I vageuly remember Aha, Five and The Jam). I also remember that he played the con songs and the line dances, as well as some 60's stuff, so it seems like it was the usual mix? Can I ask what songs you requested that werne't played? I'm surprised there was a stack of CD's, I thought they usually just use a laptop loaded with MP3s! I think a bigger factor on Saturday was the heat. It got pretty warm in that room that evening and that might have put off some people from going in there any dancing?

I admit that the music on the Friday night was pretty dodgy, don't know who was the DJ on that evening. For me personally, I'd much rather than SM/ME kept the disco in house, rather than get a different DJ in. That way, they have more money to spend on guests! :thumbup:

You must be joking...The DJ was horrid!! Unless you like Rock of course!

I admit that the music on the Friday night was pretty dodgy, don't know who was the DJ on that evening. For me personally, I'd much rather than SM/ME kept the disco in house, rather than get a different DJ in. That way, they have more money to spend on guests! :thumbup:

You must be joking...The DJ was horrid!! Unless you like Rock of course!

Ok, I understand that you didn't share the same taste in music as him, but what music did you request that didn't get played? How long were you in there for (between what times?) I'm not intending to be challenging, am just trying to figure out whether the issue was perhaps that he didn't switch genre types of music often enough.