Is the Manchester collectormania event gonna happen or not?

The Manchester Collectormania was very handy for us, too.

I also go to the MK ones, but they're a right bugger to get to from Yorkshire.

Might I suggest looking into setting up a Collectormania in Leeds or Sheffield? Quite a few good exhibition centres to choose from.

Edited by Darth Scourge

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gutted that the Manchester event isn't going to happen this year anymore. I loved all the previous ones and think the location is ace. I hope that it dose return even in a different location. I know theres plenty of place up north that could work.

Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed that there'll be a new Collectormania Manchester next year. B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's gone very quiet on the Manchester front. You know what they say though, 'No news is good news'. Well, sometimes :smile:

It's a shame as i was looking forward to meeting Alan Ruck in Manchester. I hope he can make it to another event sometime !.I was also looking forward to seeing which other guests were going to attend.

Edited by Beth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I fear that we are calling to deaf ears. It costs too much money to put on an event in Manchester and SM aren't willing to run a show at a loss. They appear to be sticking with their tried and tested locations (well sort of) and are not even thinking of the North West at this time. Pity. IMHO.

I fear that we are calling to deaf ears. It costs too much money to put on an event in Manchester and SM aren't willing to run a show at a loss. They appear to be sticking with their tried and tested locations (well sort of) and are not even thinking of the North West at this time. Pity. IMHO.

It's a shame that the Manchester event doesn't happen anymore.

I travelled up from the South Coast for two of the three events SM ran there and met some great guests. I enjoyed the different location and made a weekend of it by going to watch a football game in the North West on the day after I went to the event.

Wish it would return in some format, maybe with the recession coming to an end the situation will change.

• Showmasters Admin

I can assure you it's not been completely written off. It is still on the table and it may well come back.

With the economy as it has been over the last year or so you have to appreciate that SM have not wanted to run events that from the start they know are likely to loss them money and that they are sticking to the tried and tested areas.

Yes we've had Copenhagen which is a new join venue with some Danish friends of the SM shows.

But on the whole it's been, batten down the hatches and make sure SM as a company comes out of the recession in tact.

With the recession looking like it's ending, it's more likely that SM will consider a northern event at a more affordable venue. I know it's something they still want to do and it's certainly never been completely written off.

The thing that people will need to understand is that to start with any northern show will not likely to be as big as Manchester was. If it's done at all, it's going to need to start small and grow over time.

Edited by Too Tall

Thanks for the update Too Tall and yeah, that's completely understandable. I recently attended one of Lloyd Daniels' gigs (he was lovely by the way) this weekend and was suprised by how many people had come all the way to Manchester from Wales to meet him and see him perform. I reckon Manchester is ideal for people in North Wales to attend but yeah, it'd be sensible for it to start out small again and then grow with popularity. Here's hoping we'll see it back sometime soon, thanks. :blink:

Edited by Doctor Who

• Moderators

And of course what you have to remember is that it's not just down to attendance, but people spending money once they get in the door too. So while the Manchester events may have seemed busy to some, it didn't necessarily mean they were financially successful.

And of course what you have to remember is that it's not just down to attendance, but people spending money once they get in the door too. So while the Manchester events may have seemed busy to some, it didn't necessarily mean they were financially successful.

Yeah, that's also very true too. I've got to admit, I was a bit bad at the last Collectormania Manchester as it was my first ever convention so my mum wouldn't let me spend more than about £25 on autographs. I got to meet Kai Owen and Anthony Lewis but would have also loved to meet Anthony Head and Siobhann Hewlett, my parents wouldn't let me though. They will now though as they know how much I spend at the weekend conventions so at future Collectormanias which I attend, I'll be buying autographs from and photoshoots (I love the photos lol) with the guests who I want to meet. :blink:

Edited by Doctor Who

Thanks for the update Too Tall, lets hope (not just for SM's sake but the whole Country) that the economy starts to pick up and this event is able to return in some format.

Totally agree, when money is tight people are more likely to go to these events (presuming they can afford to in the first place) and stick to a budget. Whether a person restricts their spending to meeting guests, having a photo shoot or buying from the dealers rather than perhaps doing all three in the past, it will mean someone at the end of the day not being as profitable as before the recession.

There have been winners and losers in the economic downturn, people who have kept their job/lost their job or for example, people with a pre-credit crunch fixed rate mortgage/practically zero flexible mortgage. So although those of us who are on here asking about this event can probably all afford to go, there are no doubt many who have more important things to worry about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thanks for the update and all we can reasonably ask for on this forum is to be kept regularily informed of what SM's plans for this event are i.e on hold, likely to restart in 2011 etc.

If this is possible, we'd all appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

One interesting venue to look at would be the semi-permanent venue at Lancashire County Cricket Ground.

I dont know if it can be used for alternative events but it's used for company parties. We had an 80's party there a couple of weeks ago and its a nice large(ish) venue and (from what I heard) reasonably cheap to hire.

Obviously there is loads of parking and its easily accessible from motorways and has its own metrolink station.

As I said, not sure if they rent it out for alternative things but maybe worth a look for a starting point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the update Too Tall and yeah, that's completely understandable. I recently attended one of Lloyd Daniels' gigs (he was lovely by the way) this weekend and was suprised by how many people had come all the way to Manchester from Wales to meet him and see him perform. I reckon Manchester is ideal for people in North Wales to attend but yeah, it'd be sensible for it to start out small again and then grow with popularity. Here's hoping we'll see it back sometime soon, thanks. :P

The first convention I ever went to was a Collectormania in Manchester and it was only discovered by accident as I'd never heard of Collectormania before. Me and my friends have been hooked ever since. I am from Wales and a group of us travelled to the events in Manchester as its just the right distance for us. I've also been to one in MK just to get my collectormania fix (since there hasn't been one in Manchester for a while), but its a long way and usually its nearly always held on a bank holiday weekend when any sort of journey is impossible to make.

We hardly ever get any events at all in North Wales so having the events in Manchester meant that we finally got to go to a convention. Please bring it back to Manchester!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...