The packs Tattoos

foreverbella

Can't quite see it enough to make out what it is yet.

It's a Pacific Northwest decal. There are two wolves facing each other with possibly an eye at the bottom, which would be appropriate as the Protectors' job is to watch over La Push. Eyes, especially oval animal eyes are a common feature in Pacific Northwest art so it's my best guess that's what the bottom centre design is.

Edited by timpe

• 1 month later...

OK, so I have info on the tattoo straight from the wolf's mouth, so to speak - I asked Alex Meraz about it on Saturday. There are two wolves facing each other as I thought, but the decal in the middle isn't an eye - it's a frog. There are also two ravens included in the design, behind the wolf on each side.

Alex talked a bit about how the animals have different meaning to specific tribes, even to neighbouring tribes, so he couldn't really give us much information on why the creatures were chosen. I turned to my books and this is what I came up with -

The ravens are interesting, as in Quileute culture the raven is a trickster who can transform himself into anything he wishes, which seems appropriate for a tribe of shapeshifters.

The frog is revered for it's ability to live in two worlds - the land and the water. Again, a nod to the duality of the pack who live both as man and as beast. Weird fact that I uncovered doing some more research - the word for "frog" (hága'y ) is the only word with a letter “g†sound in the Quileute language.