Thank you to those who listen

DavidB

• Moderators

Bit of a random topic, but I just want to say thanks to all the attendees who actually respect the crew, and go by their day without any conflict or making our jobs any harder than they need to be.

It makes it so much easier for us when we're able to do what we need to do as quickly and smoothly as possible. It's a two way thing - we'll help you, but sometimes you have to help us too!

We often get people who literally do not listen, and the time we're wasting on them could be spent more productively helping elsewhere.

For example, I worked the photo shoot area on Sunday. We weren't allowing people to peek through the doors and take pictures of the guests etc. We've NEVER allowed photos being taken in the photo shoot area. It disrupts Malcolm, it disrupts the attendees and the guest, and it disrupts the system because crew are having to spend time telling people not to take photos.

I told a few people that they couldn't do it, and what did they do? They put their camera away. One time, and that was it. They respected what they were told.

Some other guy was told numerous times, but kept coming back. In fact, he blatantly shoved his camera OVER MY HEAD and took a photo right there. I asked him why he wouldn't stop, and he gave me attitude and said "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT" ..

Now I don't know whether he's on here or not, and I don't really care, but the fact is all crew don't want that attitude off ANYONE. I find it disgusting when people are like that to me when I politely ask them not to do things, and I'd hope no other crew gets treated like it either. Sometimes it's a thankless job, but most of the time the attendees are fantastic to work with, and we're all fans of the same thing.

So I just genuinely want to say thank you to those of you who made it an enjoyable event for us to work, and to those who insist on having their own way, I would ask you to think twice about how you treat people - I'm fairly sure you wouldn't want that treatment yourself!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with David. You are always going to get the odd few who won't listen but overall I had a fantastic weekend crewing and met loads of really nice attendees who helped make the weekend what it was. Met loads of lovely people on Friday when I was Claudia's assistant. On Sunday I spent the day on photo collection point and would like to thank everyone who was very understanding about the delay with the last batch of photos. Special thanks to Michelle who I met and had some fantastic chats to on Friday and who then on Sunday bought me some cakes over as I hadn't had lunch :D

I'd like to repeat that the crew were really lovely and helpful to me whenever I needed to talk to anyone on Saturday morning. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into making the show possible. It's genuinely apprecaited. It's just such a shame that there always has to be a few idiots who spoil things.

Some other guy was told numerous times, but kept coming back. In fact, he blatantly shoved his camera OVER MY HEAD and took a photo right there. I asked him why he wouldn't stop, and he gave me attitude and said "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT" ..

Now I don't know whether he's on here or not, and I don't really care, but the fact is all crew don't want that attitude off ANYONE. I find it disgusting when people are like that to me when I politely ask them not to do things,

Don't you have security to eject people like that? Or is the security there for guests only (hired by their own people)?

Edited by nicky

I poked my head around the door, but that was to see you DeeBee :D And at least I gave you and Avery a conversation point!!!

I totally agree with your post, people are ignorant to others and a lot of it shows from the comments on this forum. They don't care that the location was temp etc, they just want want want, and when there are thousands of attendees, and only so many crew, you simply can't cater to everyone's specific needs. I always treat the crew with respect (except you DeeBee mwuhaha :D Kidding!)- ones I know and ones I don't know, and I attempt to use my sense of humour if they are looking a bit bored (yes, I got a few weird looks :smile:).

I get shocked when I hear others don't follow my example! The simple truth is, if you are polite and nice, people are more likely to help you and be the same back. If you are stroppy and rude, you're not really doing yourself any favours! The SM crew are the best in the business (don't get me started on the other lot) so people should deff be nice to them!

• Moderators

Don't you have security to eject people like that? Or is the security there for guests only (hired by their own people)?

Basically we're meant to guard the areas ourselves etc, with calling security as a last resort :smile:

They would be available if someone was really persistent and not listening etc, but yes obviously we don't want to be using them if it's not totally necessary.

I enjoy a bit of banter with the attendees and getting to know the regulars that always come back. Its also nice when i'm recognised too and people say hello and we strike up a conversation whilst they wait to meet a guest or whatever it may be.

As I said in the other topic, its cool when we're appreciated and it really is only a select few that insist on making our job harder. We're always there to help and we only want to make your expereince as easy and as enjoyable as possible.

Carl. :smile:

• Moderators

I always treat the crew with respect (except you DeeBee mwuhaha :dance: Kidding!)- ones I know and ones I don't know, and I attempt to use my sense of humour if they are looking a bit bored (yes, I got a few weird looks :D).

It's always nice when people are like that, and it makes it a far more enjoyable day. I mean imagine how repetitive a job can be if it's just giving out tickets, or picking up bags etc. On paper, they're not the best of jobs, but if the attendees are happy and chatty and friendly, it's a genuinely enjoyable experience whatever job you're doing!

I always treat the crew with respect (except you DeeBee mwuhaha :wub: Kidding!)- ones I know and ones I don't know, and I attempt to use my sense of humour if they are looking a bit bored (yes, I got a few weird looks :dance:).

It's always nice when people are like that, and it makes it a far more enjoyable day. I mean imagine how repetitive a job can be if it's just giving out tickets, or picking up bags etc. On paper, they're not the best of jobs, but if the attendees are happy and chatty and friendly, it's a genuinely enjoyable experience whatever job you're doing!

I bet pressies help too ! Did you enjoy your mini choc digestives ? :D

I think the crew did a great job this weekend. I heard someone really laying into Michelle at the organisers tent/booth. She just stood there and took it all and didn't get flustered. Eventually he calmed down and admitted it wasn't Michelle's fault. She diffused the situation very well and the guy went away calm.

All the crew I had dealings with were friendly, calm and a pleasure to talk to.

I did suggest to DavidB that crew "sweatshirts" might have been nicer than T-shirts given the climate but hind sight is a wonderful thing!

Felt sorry for the people on 'guard duty' outside the photo areas. Everytime I walked past there were people with cameras aimed inside. Must have been a nightmare to police.

The photo area layout didn't really help in this case. I must admit that I was suprised it wasn't set out differently. For example the photographer facing the concourse so that effectively the backdrop would have naturally been postition to block peoples view from outside the room (although the light from the window may have been an issue for taking a photo in area B or just more paritions, again blocking peoples view

Things that were probably considered and dismissed for very good reasons - may have helped the 'guards' though :dance:

Edited by 1of2

I fully agree with what you have said DB. There is a security presence, but we dont want to eject people, we know you all want the same opportunity and for many this is an opportunity of a lifetime.

By causing conflict you will only ruin your own day.

A

• Moderators

I bet pressies help too ! Did you enjoy your mini choc digestives ? :YAHOO:

They definitely helped, thank you! :huh:

I did suggest to DavidB that crew "sweatshirts" might have been nicer than T-shirts given the climate but hind sight is a wonderful thing!

:blush: I remember that .. though you know if they'd made them, it would've just ended up with really hot weather, and then they'd have forced us to wear them, and we'd have melted instead :WINCE:

Always have considered what a great job the crew do - your all dedicating YOUR time to do this for Us.... :blush:

And always consider that you are just trying to make the whole SM/ME experience for Us - the best it can be...

:WINCE:

PS Debbie - hope you enjoyed the Tea - Sunday afternoon (Ben Bowder Table) - Sean / Mandie

:huh:

Always have considered what a great job the crew do - your all dedicating YOUR time to do this for Us.... :P

And always consider that you are just trying to make the whole SM/ME experience for Us - the best it can be...

:P

PS Debbie - hope you enjoyed the Tea - Sunday afternoon (Ben Bowder Table) - Sean / Mandie

:D

Hey guys.. that you so much for that.. what a lovely surprise.. I was really flagging!!!!

Always lovely to see you and thank you Sean for the lovely comment about me you made to Nathan on Saturday..

Debbie xx :P

I dont know if it was the same person DB but julie did get security to remove someone on saturday. he got a little agressive towards her and she shouldnt have to take that.

thankfully our security are brilliant.

=x=

Am with David i would also like to thank everyone to. As one of those people on "'guard duty" outside the photo area A on Sunday it was hard at times. I had to deal with the very long queues at time and still try and stop people taking Photos. Most people listened right away and i Thank You for that, you will always get a few people that keep trying no matter how many time you say.

To all the Attendees i spoke to over the weekend you were all great :thumbup:

ps nice to meet you David

I was one of the attendees at the Ben photo shoot Sunday afternoon - thanks guys for getting things moving smoothly. A very special thanks to the girls inside who helped me with my walking stick arrangements (and an exceptional thanks to Ben for holding me up!).

I met a rather nice crewmember (sounds abit star trekky doesn't it)

anyway, he was really nice and he was the guy that was handing out the tickets for Nathen Fillion, he was so kind! It's nice to have crew like that.

Also it made me smile while reading this thread because it is so nice thanking people for actually doing the right thing :thumbup:

I want to thank the very nice guy at the photo collection table. I was standing (out of the way) and chatting with my friends, waiting for the crowds to calm down so that I could go over and pick up my photos when someone from the table came and handed them to me. I thought that was really nice of him to do, especially considering I had not in any way asked him to, so whoever you are, thank you.

• Moderators

There was a few of us doing that :YAHOO:

It was just a case of trying to remember peoples' faces from the photos, then hunting you all out in the crowd. I walked down the queues a few times and gave some out, as did others .. just seemed like a good idea!

There was a few of us doing that :D

It was just a case of trying to remember peoples' faces from the photos, then hunting you all out in the crowd. I walked down the queues a few times and gave some out, as did others .. just seemed like a good idea!

It was a very good idea. I know me and all my friends all appreciated it when our photos was magically handed to us :)

I want to thank the crew member that was stalking my sister. Unfortunatey i don't know his name but we first met him at the Nathan photo shoot and he magically appeared at several areas that we were at. Anyway i didn't see you following us home to Manchester lol! But thanks you made my sister's day.