what works and what did not work

showmasters

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this Collectormania 15 was my first time at a collectormania/showmasters event.

I was disappointed with the bus service provided on the sturday from the MK Shopping centre.

But showmasters are aware of such downfalls with transportation so next time I'm sure will be improved.

Other than that, everything was fantastic!

The buzz of day of the attendees and guests was all great.

It was crowded to say that least, but despite that everyones mood seemed good.

I got no impression that the guests were unhappy with being at the event.

They seemed very happy to be there and loved doing autographs/photos for fans.

I hope they all come back to such collectormanias/showmasters events in the future as would be awesome to see all guests again.

Particularly Claudia Wells and Kerri Green. Both very sweet and obliging to fans requests.

Count on my attendance for years to come!.

Amazing experience.

i loved the event, i met who i wanted to see. i have two points to bring up, the lack of buses, need more and i'm a massive harry potter fan and i didn't see any merchandise and that disappointed me as there is normally lots, you really need to cater for all needs, not just the sci-fi genre. Apart from that i had a great day and thanks for a great event

As for your comment about you saying you'd say it to their face, thanks for cheering me up this morning, I needed a good laugh
Oh no, don't call a bouncer a "thug", they're just too scary for us puny geek mortals. :D

Why do you find Mike's comment funny? Do you really think those guys would physically retaliate to be called a "thug" infront of crowds of people at the con while they were meant to be doing their job?

They may not be thugs all the time but they were certainly "thug-like" in how they mistreated Pyschosis. I've never met her properly but I know she's been around this forum long enough to be one of the sensible ones who wouldn't lie or exagerrate. Anyway who is anyone to argue with her? Were any of us there when she experienced it?

Edited by nicky

If they did beat me up (and take my lunch money, presumably),
That would NEVER happen at the con where they are out in public with plenty of witnesses. Grazer finding your comment funny doesn't make much sense.

A mate of mine who was refused entry to a club was physically threatened by a bouncer and I said to him, "what, in front of all these witnesses??!! How dumb are you?"

Edited by nicky

I think he's just after an end to the name calling.

But "thug-like" was how they behaved towards Psychosis on this occasion? I don't think the word "thug" is name-calling though - it's not a degoratory term, it's a "proper" English word and not even slang.

Edited by nicky

Thanks for this info Jason, looking forward to the new indoor arena, is there going to be A CMMK in the normal October timeframe ?

(if so any chance of some more DS9 signings ? (Andrew Robinson was great), Armin Shimmerman, Marc Alaimo, Terry Farrell, Nicole de Boer, Jeffrey Combs, Loise Fletcher, Alexander Siddig or Nana Visitor would be excellant).

I don't think the word "thug" is name-calling though - it's not a degoratory term, it's a "proper" English word and not even slang.

"Pederast" is a "proper" English word and not slang, but I suspect that you would be offended and consider it "name-calling" if somebody labelled you as one. And I'd have thought that a "thug" as "a rough, brutal hoodlum, gangster, robber, etc." was reasonably derogatory...

"Pederast" is a "proper" English word and not slang, but I suspect that you would be offended and consider it "name-calling" if somebody labelled you as one.
Well if I was guilty of what a pederast does then it would be appropriate so why would anyone protest to such a label if it was true??? Point is the security did act "thug-like" on this occasion so why not describe them as such??? If they don't want to be called "thugs" then they shouldnt act like them (at least according to how Psychosis felt). Edited by nicky

Since my original feedback got deleted from another thread, I'll try again on this one although it will no doubt be a repeat of what other people have already said as I have not bothered to read through every single post.

As many people have said, the venue was b****y cold and it might have been useful to have been informed that it was so open - whilst you don't expect a stadium to be the warmest of places, I cannot recall seeing anything which indicated it was practically outdoors and that people should bring coats etc. Thankfully I carry one in my car and was able to put that on, and then warn other attendees to bring one with them otherwise there would have been some very miserable people around.

The guests I met were very nice, as usual, and since I got my autographs on Friday it obviously wasn't very busy and therefore nothing felt rushed.

I didn't appreciate being "shushed" when entering the photo session area - we weren't even told why we had to be quiet and I have to admit that I did then shushing all my friends whenever they said anything afterwards - as usual a please or thank you goes a long way, but I have noticed from many previous SM events that very few of the stewards have these words within their basic vocabulary so I shouldn't really be surprised.

Having to wait so long for the photos to come back on the Sunday and then being told we had to leave the building because the event had finished was just ridiculouse - we were moving, albeit quite slowly as we were looking at our photos, but again a please or thank you would have been greatly appreciated.

At the end of day, I do generally enjoy the SM events because they tend to get some very different guests and overall it is expensive as you want it to be because it is down to each individual how many autos/photos they purchase. What annoys me every single time is the rudeness of the stewards and the general lack of understanding that being polite actually does go a long way towards someone actually doing what they are being asked to do. Don't get me wrong, there are some great stewards and certainly the lady looking after Ben's queue on Friday morning was lovely, but these people seem to be few and far between.

I don't care whether the event is free or you have been charged £5 to get in, each person will generally respond to another person in a mirror fashion - if stewards want to be treated as human beings then they should treat the attendees in that way.

SM I have said more than once that there are ways that things can be improved but one of my consistant moans has generally been about the stewards - at the end of the day, invariably these are the first people that an attendee deals with, whether it be to collect a VT, pay for an auto or just standing in a queue - if you continue to use people who don't know how to deal with other individuals it will do more harm than good. Stewards essentially have no idea who they are dealing with, or what connections to the actors a person may have, we could be family or friends with the person we are queuing to meet. Imagine the reaction of the actor when that person then relays a story about the rudeness of how they were just treated. Sort this problem out and you will go a long way to have a lot more happier attendees. If I continue to be treated without any respect that is exactly how I will respond, and this forum may not be the only place I add my feedback to.

At the moment it is constructive, but if some of the stewards aren't spoken to about their general attitude problem (or the fact they need an attitude adjustment) my feedback, and no doubt other peoples, may not stay constructive.

Elaine :D

Thanks for this info Jason, looking forward to the new indoor arena, is there going to be A CMMK in the normal October timeframe ?

(if so any chance of some more DS9 signings ? (Andrew Robinson was great), Armin Shimmerman, Marc Alaimo, Terry Farrell, Nicole de Boer, Jeffrey Combs, Loise Fletcher, Alexander Siddig or Nana Visitor would be excellant).

No, it's in London in November. The next CM in MK is next May.

I didn't appreciate being "shushed" when entering the photo session area - we weren't even told why we had to be quiet - as usual a please or thank you goes a long way,
For real? You were "shushed"??? I'm not even sure why silence must be observed during a photoshoot anyway? Did the photographer need to hear the camera click or something?

It's an interesting question though: do any of the SM stewards (like the ones you described) come from a customer service background at all?

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

At the moment it is constructive, but if some of the stewards aren't spoken to about their general attitude problem (or the fact they need an attitude adjustment) my feedback, and no doubt other peoples, may not stay constructive.

Can I ask if you've approached the information desk and taken the names of those people you have problems with?

Only because you seem to expect stewards to be spoken to about their 'general attitude', but presumably those in charge won't know if there's a problem if you've told them?

Just wondered :P

And to be honest, if you look at the forum, you'll see that the general feedback of the crew is highly positive, and so it surprises me that you think the majority of the crew isn't up to standard.

I didn't appreciate being "shushed" when entering the photo session area - we weren't even told why we had to be quiet - as usual a please or thank you goes a long way,
For real? You were "shushed"??? I'm not even sure why silence must be observed during a photoshoot anyway? Did the photographer need to hear the camera click or something?

The photographers want to be able to work in a peaceful environment, with minimal distractions, and the ability to talk to the guests and attendees IF NECESSARY regarding changes etc. This is far harder if there's a lot of talking within that area - it's only a small room, and the noise does escalate pretty quick if everyone is talking.

Edited by DavidB

You also have to appreciate that niceness doesn't work sometimes at these things, as people become blind and deaf to everything except what they are focused on. I like to call it the Craig Parker effect (I first saw it around him, that's why :D ), where you get the 'fans' hyperventilating, salivating, palpitating (is that even a word?) and nothing on earth will get them to 'stand behind the line, please'. I'm not saying this was the case last weekend, but sometimes there has been a lead up to what could be perceived as impoliteness. I'm always stunned actually that the stewards don't resort to violence - the temptation to slap must be huge sometimes.

I agree with David (!?!?!) that you really need to bring this up at the organisers desk at the time. On the whole, the Crew do an outstanding job and there has been nothing but praise for them on this forum. I'll admit that some of them go out of their way and stand out as exceptional, but it's rare that I find myself thinking that any of them were rude (there was one on Sunday, but I put that down to being late in the day, following a long, long weekend and cut them some slack.)

Since my original feedback got deleted from another thread, I'll try again on this one although it will no doubt be a repeat of what other people have already said as I have not bothered to read through every single post.

As many people have said, the venue was b****y cold and it might have been useful to have been informed that it was so open - whilst you don't expect a stadium to be the warmest of places, I cannot recall seeing anything which indicated it was practically outdoors and that people should bring coats etc. Thankfully I carry one in my car and was able to put that on, and then warn other attendees to bring one with them otherwise there would have been some very miserable people around.

The guests I met were very nice, as usual, and since I got my autographs on Friday it obviously wasn't very busy and therefore nothing felt rushed.

I didn't appreciate being "shushed" when entering the photo session area - we weren't even told why we had to be quiet and I have to admit that I did then shushing all my friends whenever they said anything afterwards - as usual a please or thank you goes a long way, but I have noticed from many previous SM events that very few of the stewards have these words within their basic vocabulary so I shouldn't really be surprised.

Having to wait so long for the photos to come back on the Sunday and then being told we had to leave the building because the event had finished was just ridiculouse - we were moving, albeit quite slowly as we were looking at our photos, but again a please or thank you would have been greatly appreciated.

At the end of day, I do generally enjoy the SM events because they tend to get some very different guests and overall it is expensive as you want it to be because it is down to each individual how many autos/photos they purchase. What annoys me every single time is the rudeness of the stewards and the general lack of understanding that being polite actually does go a long way towards someone actually doing what they are being asked to do. Don't get me wrong, there are some great stewards and certainly the lady looking after Ben's queue on Friday morning was lovely, but these people seem to be few and far between.

I don't care whether the event is free or you have been charged £5 to get in, each person will generally respond to another person in a mirror fashion - if stewards want to be treated as human beings then they should treat the attendees in that way.

SM I have said more than once that there are ways that things can be improved but one of my consistant moans has generally been about the stewards - at the end of the day, invariably these are the first people that an attendee deals with, whether it be to collect a VT, pay for an auto or just standing in a queue - if you continue to use people who don't know how to deal with other individuals it will do more harm than good. Stewards essentially have no idea who they are dealing with, or what connections to the actors a person may have, we could be family or friends with the person we are queuing to meet. Imagine the reaction of the actor when that person then relays a story about the rudeness of how they were just treated. Sort this problem out and you will go a long way to have a lot more happier attendees. If I continue to be treated without any respect that is exactly how I will respond, and this forum may not be the only place I add my feedback to.

You've gone from all the stewards to some stewards. As Dave B has said, things can't be done unless its raised at the time, nothing can really be done and the feedback about the crew has been extremely positive after every event. I was in the photo shoot area for Nimoy when the Steward asked people to be quiet, she was polite, said please and thank you and still got critisised by people. Even the photographer asked for quiet.

And Nikki - I've crewed and I've been doing Customer Service work since I was 17.

Edited by Grazer