Saturday col 15..the verdict!

Serenity1986

Ok, so Friday night, after the first day of the con, i went on here to read the reviews of the day and found a lot of negativity. To be honest, a lot of guests weren't signed up for the Friday so no wonder people didn't get a good experience.

I went today (Saturday) and had a brilliant time! I loved the new venue. Lots more stalls, lots more guests. I am so happy to have met Nathan Fillion - lovely bloke.

It was really busy and everyone seemed to be having such a good time. It was really well organised too.

Thank you Showmasters for another brilliant convention! Keep up the good work!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so Friday night, after the first day of the con, i went on here to read the reviews of the day and found a lot of negativity. To be honest, a lot of guests weren't signed up for the Friday so no wonder people didn't get a good experience.

It wasn't the lack of guests that people had problems with but I'm not going into that again. Everyone I wanted to see was there on friday, apart from Leonard Nimoy, and everyone was brilliant and I was very happy about that.

I'm very glad you enjoyed today and I hope everyone else has too but that doesn't take away that some had a less than great time on friday for many reasons, not at all to do with how many guests there were.

Nathan was great though wasn't he? Told me all about how the Firefly cast have stayed in touch since it was cancelled and how upset they were it ended so soon. Best and most enjoyable thing he's ever worked on he said :)

Just got back. Kind of a kick in the nuts that Naoki Mori changed days as her being there was the only reason i went today instead of tomorrow (when i wanted to meet 3 sunday only people). I liked the new venue but the stalls left me wanting, where were all the dvd shops? Only one sold region 1s, normally thats when i stock up on em :(

I thought it was good... but there was something missing.

I don't know what it is.. but it just didn't feel the same since leaving the shopping centre.

It was so cold too... the guests were sitting there with blankets... and i don't blame them.

I met 3 people today...

Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards was the first... what a legend. He was so happy to be there meeting everyone.

He had the biggest smile i have ever seen. :D What a gent!

Then i met Kerri Green... she was lovely. I froze for some reason and didn't start a conversation with her... i don't know what happened. I just couldn't say anything... but she was kind enough to pose for a photo with me and my daughter.

I walked away from Kerri thinking i have just spoiled that experience because i didn't say anything. Normally i start talking to the guests about something... Gutted!

So on I went to meet James Tolkan... as i was walking towards him he waved at me... i was just thinking to myself that i would talk to him and not freeze up again... I have met LOADS of famous people and have never frozen before...

Anywho... i looked at the photos of James' that were there and he shook my hand.

I looked at him and said "Aaaahhh... There are no Masters of the Universe pictures here" he laughed and looked at the person sitting next to him and he said "See, They are asking about Master of the Universe, we should have got some pictures".

Anyway, we chatted about how that was the first sci-fi film i had ever seen when i was a kid.

And when he posed for a photo with me he apologised for not having a Masters of the Universe picture for me... bless him... he was a really nice man... i am glad i met him now. :(

All in all, I had a good day... the only bad things I can say about the day are... it was WAY to cold in the arena... and also the stall rooms were way too cramped... i didn't have chance to look at the stalls properly because everything was too cramped in.

I can't wait until November for Collectormania London... BILLY DEE WILLIAMS is going! :D

Oh my GOD!!!! it's Lando Calrissian and Harvey Dent! Haha!

Edited by Richie Rich

I didn't have a problem with the lack of guests on Friday? I'm not sure what you think that had to do with things? Every guest I wanted to meet (plus some I didn't want to meet but did anyway) was there on Friday.

My problem was how cold and damp it was, to the point of getting rained on a few times. That didn't change today. I found it quite an unpleasant experience overall, even though I really respect the organisation that went into making such a shabby space vaguely usable. Some creativity was required there! :(

The dealers room was nice. There were the same number of dealers there on Friday AND Saturday though so I'm not sure where these 'loads more stalls' were?

well, i am glad everyone had a great time overall. i am glad there was more stalls this year. to be honest, the fact Nathan Fillion was there was enough for me. Hehe!!!! Can't wait for the next one!

I didn't have a problem with the lack of guests on Friday? I'm not sure what you think that had to do with things? Every guest I wanted to meet (plus some I didn't want to meet but did anyway) was there on Friday.

My problem was how cold and damp it was, to the point of getting rained on a few times. That didn't change today. I found it quite an unpleasant experience overall, even though I really respect the organisation that went into making such a shabby space vaguely usable. Some creativity was required there! :(

The dealers room was nice. There were the same number of dealers there on Friday AND Saturday though so I'm not sure where these 'loads more stalls' were?

I just read someones post from Friday and they said there was hardly any stalls there and when i looked onthe web site there wasnt a lot of friday guests. i just assumed that was why people didnt enjoy it so much. there was more stalls than there usually is at the shopping centre anyway. and as for the weather, as some one who worked t the event today told me, stadiums are usually cold. Just gotta wrap up warm...this is britain after all! haha

Whoever said there weren't many stalls was mistaken... :)

Indeed, that's one thing I wouldn't criticise, there were lots. Not really my thing as I go for the guests I want to meet and rarely buy anything but there seemed to be many more stalls than usual. It still felt a bit cramped in places though and that was on friday with hardly anyone around but overall a much more pleasant browsing experience.

Whoever said there weren't many stalls was mistaken... :)

I thought the stalls area was great! and it was absolutely packed! i wonder what guests will be there next time... think my sister wants some twilight people... (i know some will be at LFCC but we can't go this year).

i must have been to a different event, first collectormania ive spent less than 90 minutes at, in fact more time queuing

bring back the shopping centre

dealers area cramped and felt like a jumble sale (1 regular dealer wasnt impressed with the ne venue at all)

walkways were cramp, what with the queuing for guests and generally trying to pass by, very cold there and bad idea having dealers so far away.

I managed to get the guests I wanted to meet but the magic seems to have been lost.

plus another downer theres no C16 in september and its now next year in Spring bank holiday week when a lot of people take holidays so Im sure numbers will be down.

I hope the new hall next time will help.

I dont like to moan but felt I had to say something, I usually really enjoy the MK experience

Just got back. Kind of a kick in the nuts that Naoki Mori changed days as her being there was the only reason i went today instead of tomorrow (when i wanted to meet 3 sunday only people). I liked the new venue but the stalls left me wanting, where were all the dvd shops? Only one sold region 1s, normally thats when i stock up on em :blink:

Dealers at the centre were stopped from selling R1 DVDs, as some of the main stores threatened to report them to the Trading Standards (it's illegal to sell R1 DVDs in this country). In addition, the exchange rate has fallen so much, that it's simply not worth importing R1 DVDs as the mark up is now too small.

I had a good day all in all, Ben was lovely and tho it was a shame there were no talks i have a lovely auto and photoshoot pic from him, got to see my mates and get some stuff from the stalls.

My weird part of the day was nothing to do with sm's, i was standing by the organisers booth, waiting with a friend who was getting her photo talk ticket sorted and i started talking to the person behind me as you do, we started talking about Buffy she asked if i was a fan i said yes, she said Angel/Buffy or Angel/Spike so i say Angel/Buffy she then hits my head with her mobile hard, my mate heard the clunk from ages away and said i should have said Buffy/Spike!!

Totally bizzare, and i had a sore head for a few hours, i didn't even say anything i was so shocked just walked off!! the crazy thing is i didn't even know the girl, and i can imagine iif i was on my own and had just started coming to cons i'd have legged it out of there and never returned, as it is i just thought maybe i shouldn't just talk to the people around me at cons but that's crazy as i've always done it, it's part of the joy of cons.

Anyway apart from that bizzare experience i had a good day, it was cold but i still had a great time, and want to thank Malcolm for another great photoshoot picture.

And i hear CM16 will be somewhere else as i think we'd all freeze in the stadium in sept/oct

Just got back. Kind of a kick in the nuts that Naoki Mori changed days as her being there was the only reason i went today instead of tomorrow (when i wanted to meet 3 sunday only people). I liked the new venue but the stalls left me wanting, where were all the dvd shops? Only one sold region 1s, normally thats when i stock up on em :clap:

If it's any consolation Naoko Mori isn't there tomorrow either.... not sure why just been told today that she has cancelled both days.

I enjoyed meeting the guests but I thought the atmosphere that's usually there at CMs was completely gone this time. I didn't feel any atmosphere at all. I know the venue is only tempoary so I won't complain about that but I hope the atmosphere will be back when the proper new venue is up and running. There was a very odd feel to CM today. Maybe it was down to the weather or the rather isolated location of the Stadium but people just didn't seem like they were massively thrilled to be part of the experience, which is a shame. The atmosphere is half the reason to go usually.

In defense of the photoshoots, you are paying to have your picture taken rather than to chat. It would be really nice if you could have a little natter but I can see why they try to keep things moving. Photoshoots are almost always a case of in-picture-out from my own experiences, especially with busier guests. If you want to chat with the guests that's for doing at the autograph signing providing the guests aren't too busy.

Edited by Princess83

You're right, I guess its all about expectations.

1.The talks were always subject to weather and were advertised as such. If you had paid for a ticket i would understand it but it was an added extra in this case

2. I asked the crew member outside the photo session room where to collect the pictures. They pointed me in the right direction, no rubbish, just clear and concise.

3. Interaction in photo sessions depends on the guest. If you thought you were going to get much interaction with a big guest like nimoy then you were always likely to be disappointed, as theyve got hundreds to get through. Even so , Nimoy still took the time to say hello and thank me for coming. Less popular guests usually give more time, Rachel Luttrell, for example, was fantastic and spent about a minute or so chatting to me before the picture was taken.

• Showmasters Admin

My problem was how cold and damp it was, to the point of getting rained on a few times. That didn't change today. I found it quite an unpleasant experience overall, even though I really respect the organisation that went into making such a shabby space vaguely usable. Some creativity was required there! :lol:

well we took on board what people said and changed thing thats what we do we evolve and make it right to day was like a different show and it was more busy than the last 4 MK events we ran and feed back on the day was great

this is now the space we are using next year there is a new hall avalable to us by then and when this hall is opened the location will be the best in the UK for us

full debreeff on monday

see you tomorow

thanks for all the people that came and made this all posable

jason :clap:

I've been to a few SM/ME events now and this certainly wasn't the best event so far. I would have to say my issues were all with the venue (i missed the shopping mall), it was a little too cold in the venue and although all the guests were excellent i think the cold did affect them a little, two guests were missing also the talks were cancelled due to the weather. I am pleased this is a temporary arrangement as Jason has mentioned. At the end of the I'm still pleased with the event, after all the alternative would have been to have no event this year and we would have missed meeting some fantastic guests.

For anyone going tomorrow definately take a coat or jumper

• Showmasters Admin

sorry Psychosis

i know you worked on that post , but i am not alouwing people with 1 or 2 post that only joined in the last few days to come on here and post rubbish and then for you and us have to defend our selfs

the event went every well to day did not see you there today its sad as it did go very well and some of the guest even told us it was like a different show

so we lernt and fixed it

and we will keep on fixing bits and pices till we get it right like we did at C1 C2 C3 C4 till we got it working smoth

so give us the chance to run this event well for every one and you will be every happy were we end up

i do think we got it right by 9 am this morning and more good things to come out of this show

jason

Jason,

We've never met but I've been coming to your events for year, even upgraded myself to gold pass for once this year! I was very skeptical to begin with about the move, but I had a blast today and got to meet Leonard Nimoy, one of my chilhood heroes and wanted to say a big thank you and hope to say that in person one day!

John