Day 1 Collectormania report

Found the stadium easily enough ( the signs to follow are small brown ones with the image of a football on them ) parking great. Its hard to describe the stadium, you are undercover but inside and outside at the same time except for the dealers room which is inside, it was cold though so generally I would say dress as though you are outside ( but you won't get wet ). In general I like the new venue, I felt much happier for the guests after countless times I heard shoppers make loud comments about has beens and who are they type remarks at the shopping centre ( let's be honest it must have been embarassing for the guests without a queue sitting in a shopping mall ).

Anyway first I met Mark McClure and he liked the photo I had from his appearance in The Shield, we spoke about the episode for a few minutes and he was happy for me to get a photo with him. Near to him was an unexpected surprise as Andy Robinson was there today as well, he loved my picture from the bus scene in Dirty Harry and laughed when I asked him to write Row Row Row Your Boat on it, again happy to have a photo with me, a really nice guy.

Next I met John DeLancie, I had a photo from NYPD Blue ( he was a guest character in season 12 filmed in 2004 ), he claimed to have no knowledge of being in it and when I said he was a father who had a son kidnapped he said oh yeah I have a vague memory of it. Maybe he had jet lag ( one polite explanation ) or possibly I bruised his ego as he is well known for Star Trek and didn't like playing a small role in another show but I didn't even ask him for a photo and was keen to walk away.

Tony Amendola was a gentleman, he liked my photo from CSI Las Vegas and we spoke about the show for a few minutes and he was happy to have a photo taken with me. Avery Brooks was another smashing guy, he loved my American History X photo and we spoke about the film for a minute or two, no posed photos but you really felt he appreciated you queuing to see him. There were also no posed photos with Nathan Fillion who again was a delight asking your name etc, he told me something about my firefly photo and seemed to have a few words or a quick story for everyone meeting him.

Lastly another treat as Alice Krige was unexpectedly there also, you cannot believe how great she looks and we spoke for a good few minutes about Deadwood and she laughed when I asked her to write I want $100,000 on the photo as after saying that in the show she got her throat cut. Not only was she happy to pose with me for a photo she made the lady taking the photo take another one as she might have blinked first time around. In the way John Landis became everyones favourite after LFCC last year I think everyone who meets Alice will thoroughly enjoy it.

That was my day, missing tomorrow ( It's Derby Day at Epsom for me ) but will be back on Sunday for Burn Gorman, Bob Champion and the Nathan Fillion talk.

Well done Showmasters compared to the shows whose name we must not mention it was another comprehensive victory.

Edited by mulderandmonkeys

I was surprised to find Andy Robinson there today, in a good and bad way, good in that I've wanted to meet him for a while now and he had a Dirty Harry picture available for signing, bad in that because I wasn't expecting him to be there I left the Star Trek book I collect my ST autographs in at home. Still better having it that way round than the other.

My question mark over the event would be the dealer room though, it was a lot smaller than I was expecting, not that there were less dealers but it all seemed a bit packed in. It was busy enough walking round there today which wasn't really a busy day at all (every guest had an open queue all day with only a couple of exceptions to give you an idea of business). I can't help but wonder how that room is going to get tomorrow with lots more people packed in.

Just a small warning on the food at the venue as well, it's not all that cheap and not all that good. That's not a criticism of SM, they have no control over it, it's just so that people have an idea that it might be worth looking further afield.

The guests I met today, Andy Robinson, Avery Brooks, Nathan Fillon were very good, asking people's names even for non personalisations, shaking hands etc.

Overall I'd say with better weather the stadium has some potential as a venue but we probably didn't get to see it in its best light today.

Well done Showmasters compared to the shows whose name we must not mention it was another comprehensive victory.

Except when it comes to the number of punters through the door which is now a no contest and must say something!

However, looking forward to Sunday and seeing the new venue. If the temp is poor for a show in June then the October/Nov event should be fun.

After going to the event that must not be named for the first time recently, SM are even more in my good books.

People through the door is only good for the company, not other people. I dont like very very very busy events people-wise, means I enjoy myself less and turns doing things like getting autographs ino a chore rather than a enjoyable experience.

Cant wait to go on sunday!

Just a small warning on the food at the venue as well, it's not all that cheap and not all that good. That's not a criticism of SM, they have no control over it, it's just so that people have an idea that it might be worth looking further afield.

I expected this so I've just been to the supermarket this evening so I can bring my own food. The prices at these places (and at Earls Court) are ridiculous and the selection is never any good so I'm just bringing my own stuff this time. It's a pain to carry food around when travelling though.

Hey there, just got back from MK. Had a great day over all. It took time to get the feel of the new venue, and while I do think that there are some improvements that could be made in future such as moving the guests into warmer area, it was still a very enjoyable day!

I was pleasantly surprised to see Andrew Robinson and Alice Kridge signing today. Both were very delightful. I think my star of the day was Nathon Fillion, he was an amazing guy and very chatty, enjoying every moment with fans. The BTTF guests were ace too. John Delance looks a lot different to how I remember him, lol!

The food was ok, but not amazing, however it did for the day. Asda was a big help being so close. I think some seating would have been great though. Perhaps you could open up the first row of seats for tomorrow? Some people may find it quite tiring walking around all the time.

All in all though, a really great con and I can't wait for tomorrow and Sunday! Keep it up SM!

I absolutely LOVED Alice Krige - I only wish I had brought something to get signed by her, as I instead followed a friend as he got his stuff signed. She was sweet, attentive and very chatty. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to her and hope to see her again over the weekend.

Nathan Fillion was, well, Nathan :D Very fan-friendly and happy to talk about whatever. Same with Ben Browder. So excited about those two *tries not to squee*

I was also pleasantly surprised by Rachel Luttrell. For some reason I had anticipated that she would be much cooler (not sure why) but she was very sweet and chatty. I really enjoyed talking to her too.

Decent summation of the first day. Easy to find, lots of parking, strange venue and a bit of a pain having to walk so far to check on the status of virtual ticket numbers although today almost everyone was an open queue all day.

But do take a coat/jumper as it got very cold wandering around. Although the concourse is undercover, it's open to the pitch area and the wind was blowing around a lot today. Also, it started to rain as I was queueing for Ben and the wind blew it under the roof and we did get slightly damp.

There's certainly more space and it was easier to walk round the dealer tables but I did miss the old location a bit as I liked to go off and do other things, and it was warmer :) and it was easier to take photos without the need to use flash which i hate as it can be so annoying for the guests.

Felt quite sorry for the guests, especially the older ones, some of whom had to wrap blankets around themselves against the cold. Food wise, it did seem expensive but there's an ASDA within easy walking distance or even IKEA as well which does really good food very cheaply. Not exactly the options there were in the shopping centre but ok.

It didn't seem very busy today and many guests were taking regular breaks. Hopefully tomorrow will be much busier although I won't be able to make it. I'm guessing it'll need to be to make the event worthwhile and I didn't have the same buzz as I used to get about it. Early days though I suppose.

As to the guests themselves...I hadn't really planned to meet any due to some unexpected expense recently using up the money I'd set aside. I only really went to have look at the new location as I had to be in the area anyway for a private tour round the Marshall Amplification factory just over the road (yay!! rock and roll!) but once there I couldn't resist and ended up meeting Ben Browder, Nathan Fillion and Rachel Luttrell as I couldn't miss a rare opportunity - Ben even apologised to me for not coming over sooner.

All of them were brilliant, taking time to have a little chat and discuss things. Just for those few moments they really made you feel important and that they were interested in whatever you had to say. Got personalised autos off all of them and photos, though none were doing posed but I can accept that. Wish I'd taken my better camera though.

So I left feeling pretty positive - certainly about the guests - but also still not entirely sure about the new set up. But maybe today wasn't the best day to judge and it'll come alive more over the weekend.

To anyone who's going, hope you enjoy and get to meet everyone you want.

We went to see Ben Browder, Nathan Fillion, Rachel Luttrell, Alice Krige and Avery Brooks.

All the guests we lovely and happy to talk more as Friday is the quieter day, was a bit cold and the stars were bought blankets to keep them warm.

I'd say wrap up a bit especially if the weekend is going to be like today cool and rainy.

We had a good time with Darth Vader and his clan (no not David Prowse).

Will be going back Sunday to met Leonard Nimoy have a photo shoot booked can't wait.

Edited by ilkarry

I be going saturday!, did anyone meet Ben Browder today and did he personalise the autographs! And how was the queue like? Cheers!

Didn't meet him but he had a steady queue, I saw some folks with personalised autograhs from him.

Ben Browder was lovely today and personalising (and laughing and joking around) - he had VTs when I arrived at 1 ish but then an open Q by around 2:30

Nathan was equally lovely...shook hands and had a good natter with everyone.

Tony Amendola was a sweetheart and happy to pose for photos

Rachel Luttrell is really sweet and very chatty.....gorgeous too!

John Delancie was very polite - not massively chatty but very pleasant

Had a fab day today - roll on the weekend. For Showmasters sake I hope the queues are great, for my sake I hope they are not too long :P

I be going saturday!, did anyone meet Ben Browder today and did he personalise the autographs! And how was the queue like? Cheers!

Didn't meet him but he had a steady queue, I saw some folks with personalised autograhs from him.

If you want a personalisation do you just ask, or do you need to put a post it note with your name on the photo or something? Sorry am inexperienced!

Except when it comes to the number of punters through the door which is now a no contest and must say something!

However, looking forward to Sunday and seeing the new venue. If the temp is poor for a show in June then the October/Nov event should be fun.

Yikes! I hope that if Showmasters have the event there in October or November, they move everything indoors.

Really enjoyed today.

Guests - Each guest I met (Avery Brooks, John Delancie, Andrew Robinson, Rachel Luttrell, Tony Amendola, Ben Browder) was very chatty and a pleasure to meet. Each of these were doing personalisations. John, Andrew, Rachel and Tony were quite happily posing for photos. Ben and Avery were both 'no posed photos'. I did not use a flash once and don't think it is needed as all of my photos came out fine. Poor John was blinded by the flash of the person in front of me and was still seeing stars/spots after I left him.

Venue - easy to find. Plenty of maps around to figure out who/what is where, although a quick tour of the concourse and all is easily figured out. Slightly concerned about the dealers room as it did seem cramped with todays small crowd. Tomorrow is going to be very cosy!

Weather - Yes a bit cold. Especially for the guests and crew who were out in the open areas as opposed to the recessed areas. Fast forward to CM16 and the probably much colder October....:P . Confusingly Avery was exceptionally warm when shaking his hand. Maybe he is the Emissary and did jump into the fire caves :firedevil:

Food - well I exchanged £6+ for what was apparently burger and chips. Won't be doing that again :no:

I was also pleasantly surprised by Rachel Luttrell. For some reason I had anticipated that she would be much cooler (not sure why) but she was very sweet and chatty. I really enjoyed talking to her too.
Had the same pre-conception. The Telya effect maybe :headscratch: . Anyway she was very chatty/bubbly. So much so that she felt the need to assure my brother and myself that she really wasn't drunk!

Back tomorrow for Leonard and a day of photoshoots :D

If you want a personalisation do you just ask, or do you need to put a post it note with your name on the photo or something? Sorry am inexperienced!

In Ben's case a member of the crew (the one who takes payment) asks and writes your name on the piece of paper that states how many autos you are having. Then you just hand this and your picture/s over to the crew member next to the guest. For the less busy guests (i.e. where you pay the crew member sat next to the guest as ooposed to a seperate payment table) then either that crew member or the guest will ask. Depends who gets there first!

Sometimes the crewmember taking your dosh will ask if you want personalisation and if you do write your name on the back of your ticket, most other times the guest usually asks you.

The crew members you gave the money to generally asking if you wanted a peronsalisation and then writing it on the back of the ticket. been the same at previous events - very easy and works well. usually they do it for the busiest guests to speed things along - they did it for Ben and Nathan today. Rachel asked me if I wanted it personalising.

The crew members you gave the money to generally asking if you wanted a peronsalisation and then writing it on the back of the ticket. been the same at previous events - very easy and works well. usually they do it for the busiest guests to speed things along - they did it for Ben and Nathan today. Rachel asked me if I wanted it personalising.

Awesome thanks everyone :P

Glad to hear that Nathan is spending some time with the fans! I hope he's not too busy on the Sunday to do the same...I have waiting to meet this guy since I missed him at LFCC how ever many years ago that was!!

Glad to hear that Nathan is spending some time with the fans! I hope he's not too busy on the Sunday to do the same...I have waiting to meet this guy since I missed him at LFCC how ever many years ago that was!!

He was really nice. Looks very serious and I was a little worried he'd be a bit grumpy as he arrived quite late and was obviously busy and cold but he very happy to take a few moments to chat and was telling me how regularly he stays in touch with all the other guys from Firefly and how sad he was that it didn't get a better run etc. Shook my hand and made a point of using my name when saying goodbye as I walked away. Made you feel like you were the only person there for those few moments you have. Can't say better than that. In fact that was the same for all the guests I met.

Obviously Sat and Sun will (hopefully) be busier but I hope you aren't rushed through too much as is sometimes the case on those days.