Anyone good at explaining things?

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

We've been getting a lot of phone calls recently from people who've never been to Collectormania or LFCC before and have no idea of how it works or what they can do there. (questions like "if I want to go to a talk or photo session will I need to buy an entry ticket to the event as well?" and "are these the real people or look-alikes?")

Much of the information is already covered in Too Tall's faq but many newbies don't even know where to start. So I want a simple "beginners guide" to add to the websites so first timers know what the event actually is, what they can expect to see, etc. Something brief and very basic (imagine you're trying to explain LFCC to your aunt!), maybe a couple of paragraphs long, and I'll add links to the FAQ for more detailed explanations.

So if you're bored over the rainy bank holiday and want to give it a go, you can post your paragraphs below and I'll have a look when I start on the new website page.

Cheers,

Andrea

I've actually done a couple of step by step guides in German, and a couple of English ones for other forums.

The autograph one I actually got on hand and edited a bit with the new info that Too Tall posted last week. Let me know if this is what you were thinking off.

How to get an autograph, a guide in 6 steps for Collectormania:

1. You don't need entry tickets for the event.

2. If you get there before the door open, there may be separate lines. Extra lines may be dedicated to the very busy guests, and in addition there is one general entry line for everyone else.

2. When the doors open, make your way to the signing area. There's huge posters advertising which line is for which guest.

The lines for the popular guests will be walked to the guest's table to make sure nobody skips the line.

If you are in the general queue, find the line of the guest of choice. Each guest has a separate line.

The popular guests will have their line organised by so called Virtual Queueing (VQ) tickets.

There will be a crew member standing in front of the line. Crew members wear brightly colored shirts which say "crew" on the back. Said crew member has a little booklet. You tell him/her that you want a VQ ticket for your guest of choice. The crew Member gives you the ticket. The ticket pretty much looks like one of those cloak room tickets, with the guest's name and your ticket number.

There's also a sign post at the beginning of the line telling you which numbers have been called. Also there's whiteboards hanging in different places. The numbers which can join the queue are posted on the sign post and on the whiteboards.

So let's say you got ticket 150 for your guest of choice. Numbers 1 to 30 have been called. Until your number has been called you can go and eat something, check out the dealers area or get other autographs. Not all guests will be having VQ tickets.

3. You come back to the guest's line. Tickets up to 200 have been called. This means you can join the line now. You can not miss you turn, you can join the line any time after your number has been called.

Hand the crew member your ticket and join the line.

4. About half way down the line there is a table where another crew member is sitting. (Again this is for the popular guests, some guests may have the crew member sitting next to them.) This table also has photos you can choose from if you did not bring your own item to be signed. There's usually anythng between 3 and 12 photos to choose from. The photos provided will usually be of the most popular projects a guest has done. If you want anything signed from a special movie or show, you best bring the item yourself.

The crew member will ask you how many autographs you want to buy. You tell her/him the number. If the VQ system is in place, you can get up to 5 autographs at once. If there's no VQ system in operation you can get as many signatures as you require.

You pay the crew member and select your photos.

You will receive a slip of paper with the number of autographs you bought. If you want a personalised signature, the easiest thing is to write your name on the back of this ticket if you have not brought a post it or something similar.

5. You will continue in line up to the actual table where the guest will be sitting. There's another crew member with him. Hand your ticket and the items you want signed to the crew member.

6. You're meeting the guest now - enjoy. :P

As long as there is no sign saying "no photos" you can take pictures of the guest signing your item, or you can ask for a posed photo with the guest as well.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

A newbies guide to Collectormania!

First remember it's supposed to be a fun experience, don't get too stressed and don't panic. It can look chaotic, really really busy and confusing, but in reality it is (normally!) a well oiled machine that has happened many times and things do work, get done and move quickly.

First, when you arrive if the queue spans round the block - don't despair. You will get in, you will probably get to meet everyone you want and you won't be spending all day in that queue. Once the doors open things move quickly and we will get you in the door with the minimum of delay. - You don't need to camp outside all night, you don't need to start queueing at 4am. Get a good nights sleep, otherwise you will be grouchy and miserable, and certainly won't look your best in the photo shoots.

Once inside, don't stampede, don't run, barge, push or kick yourself to the front of the numerous queues that will suddenly spring up inside. If you know what guests you want to see, you will probably have some idea of who will be busiest, aim to get the Virtual Queue tickets (these are all explained in more detail in our FAQ) for them first and then go to the quieter guests or have a cup of coffee whilst waiting for your number to get called.

VQ people will be easy to spot.

Inside you will find, numerous trade stalls, prop displays, a talk area, a photo studio area and the signing areas. We don't have maps but expect signing areas to be easy to spot with large pictures of the guests above the tables. Crew will always guide you where you need to go.

Once you reach the cash desk, pay for your autograph in cash (if you wish to use a credit card go and see the people at the organisers desk who will organise credit card payments), choose your photograph and go up to the guest. There will be signs saying if photos/posed photos are NOT allowed. If there is no sign assume that photos are ok. If you're alone or you don't trust your companion to take the photo, the guest assistants are always happy to take your piccy for you. Please try and get anything you want signed out of your bag, or poster tube before you get to the guest to save time.

When with the guest:

1)Yes you can give them presents.

2)Most guests don't like being asked for kisses, don't appreciate having their bums pinched, and sometimes don't want to shake hands. They are human beings so remember how you'd feel with a stranger asking you for this stuff, especially if you're jet lagged.

3)Please and thank you does go a long way

4)Oh and yes these guys are the real deal not lookalikes. They are also actors... NOT the characters they play... so Robert Pattison isn't going to bite you, and Kenny Baker isn't a robot! They may have aged since the film you saw them in, that doesn't mean they aren't real, and they don't always need reminding that they don't look anything like they did in 1977.

5)Remember that most guests love meeting you as much as you love meeting them.

6)Try not to faint, hyper ventilate or burst into tears. You will remember it with embarrassment for years to come.

7)Try to breath, smile and enjoy the experience, because you will remember it for years to come.

8)Don't expect to have an indepth conversation.

If you have a photo session booked:

Arrive on time. Surprisingly we can't always get the guest back to the photo studio an hour later because you were doing your make up, queueing to see someone else, or thought you'd wait as there was a queue at the photo studio.

Malcolm (and all our photographers) want you to look good in your photo. They will try and ensure it is a good shot, but it is not a modelling session. Expect it to be: in, smile, out. The photo session is not an opportunity to have a good chinwag with the guest. I would also point you to number 2 above!!!

Talk Sessions

Tickets for talks are available from the organisers desk.

Try to think of a question before you get in there and ASK it.

Photos are normally allowed, but the talk crew will make it obvious if they aren't.

Seats are allocated on a first come first served basis, except for some reserved for Gold Pass holders at the front.

Normally the talks are not videoable.

Any problems. ASK. There are plenty of crew at the event, who will all be happy to help you. There is an organisers desk where crew will also be happy to help you. If you ask at the time, the chances are more likely we can sort things out. Don't go home unhappy with something, let us know. (If you're really happy with something, it's also nice to let us know!).

We have crew who can speak several foreign languages so if you've come from abroad, do ask and they will help you out too!

If you go with a relaxed attitude you will have a great time. Go with the flow and remember the whole point of the day is to have FUN.

Well not exactly short and sweet. An impossible challenge to sum up Collectormania quickly.

Edited by madmonster*

think it is worth putting in, QS, that you do not pay for the VTs! I have alot of friends I've met at SG cons coming to C15 as their first event and even people have tried to pay me, the ticketer, in the past for the autos! think it's is also important to mention that it's strictly 1 ticket per person in the Q, regardless or not if they are getting an auto B)

wow QS and madmonster*, very detailed!!!

is this the kind of thing you are after Andrea? or are you after something more along the lines of

"Collectormania is a FREE ENTRY event where you can meet stars from tv shows, films and sport, get autographs, take part in professional photoshoots, attend a talk and peroose (sp) dealers stalls selling a host of merchandise and memrobillia. Other attractions include: **insert CM stuff* for more information about how to meet the guests, get photos and go to the talks, please see *insert link* "

**where you would then insert the CM version of the LFaCC Bumblee, pillow fights, pizza eating, game zone etc etc :unsure:

Luv sah xx

think it is worth putting in, QS, that you do not pay for the VTs! I have alot of friends I've met at SG cons coming to C15 as their first event and even people have tried to pay me, the ticketer, in the past for the autos! think it's is also important to mention that it's strictly 1 ticket per person in the Q, regardless or not if they are getting an auto B)

I didn't want to get too detailed, that's why I left one ticket per person out.

I thought the not paying the ticket person was self explanatory because otherwise I would have mentioned that you pay the ticket person. :unsure:

• Showmasters Admin

Indeed the problem starts if you start putting in everything as I have in the full FAQ. People just refuse to read it "'cause it's too long!"

Edited by Too Tall

@ Petra my bad! :firedevil:

@ TT, yes indeed! I have been bombarded on Facebook with Qs and advice requests about C15 by friends I know from the SG cons who aren't on the forum and find the FAQ too big and daunting :firedevil: but, look at me go bringing people over :angel:

surfy sah xx

• Moderators

Problem is you can't win - you think something's 'self explanatory' yet there's always someone that doesn't understand .. and yet if you explain in too simplistic terms, you get people thinking you're patronising! :firedevil: