A very important message from all at Showmasters

showmasters

'More guests to come' is pretty much all you'll get.

No one can say there's going to be a 'big star replacement' as that's far too wide a definition for a guest - after all, some people would say Nathan could be that!

To me Nathan Fillion is a bigger replacement than Amanda was in the first place. It's freaking CAP'N TIGHTPANTS, MAN!

:YAHOO:

Anyway, honestly, given Firefly's cult popularity plus Nathan being in a current show on the air, I think Nathan is an EXCELLENT replacement for Amanda. Not quite as rare as Amanda perhaps but still awesome.

Thats your opinion but I don't think he is a bigger replacement than Amanda!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very lucky to get to meet Nathan at LFCC, being second to last in line when they closed the queue. Dammit, I think I will have to come to this now, especially if they're selling photoshoots. What with Eclipse 3, CMK, LFCC and Abrams Inc all hitting me in a matter of months, I am going to be Very Poor. But happy. :YAHOO:

I've updated my Facebook too.

It's as simple as this - big guests bring in the crowds! That's the main attraction that's going to get more people through the doors - not asking mates to coming along!

Once there's some big names involved, that's when people can start talking and showmasters can start advertising on other websites and magazines (like the advert in Total Film).

It's as simple as this - big guests bring in the crowds! That's the main attraction that's going to get more people through the doors - not asking mates to coming along!

Once there's some big names involved, that's when people can start talking and showmasters can start advertising on other websites and magazines (like the advert in Total Film).

Are you suggesting there aren't any 'big' guests already announced?

Ah .. so if they get big guests, people will attend?

Can't believe Jason hasn't thought of that :(

Amateur :(

:(

Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to meeting Spock, Richard Chaves, David Yip, and Kerri Green! These are the guests I want and these type of guests are the reason I go to sm events. But in terms of bringing in the crowds none of them are going to do that!

I've actually never been to a signing event like this, only attended weekend conventions up until now but from what I've read and heard from people that do attend these regularly that there's a few guests that will be bringing in a lot of fans to see them due to them being big or rare guests or whatever.

Edited by Christoff

• Showmasters Admin

well we could have the biggest guest in the world but if no one know about the event then it will not work

so we have got the guests and done the adds but its hard out there now so to help the event at its new location we have asked people to help us a bit

and thanks to lots of you this is happing so thank you all and keep up this work

thanks so much

jason :(

Big guests are always a matter of definition.

I was over the moon when Ben Browder was announced, while Phantom (forgive me there, you were the first person coming to my mind :() probably went: "Ben who?" in his mind.

My boyfriend's mom - who's coming with me for a day, her very first time at the show :( - totally surprised boyfriend and me when she said: "Oh, Captain Tightpants is coming? That's neat." when I told her Nathan was announced.

There's probably not another expression in convention language that has that many meanings as "big guest."

Big guests are always a matter of definition.

I was over the moon when Ben Browder was announced, while Phantom (forgive me there, you were the first person coming to my mind :() probably went: "Ben who?" in his mind.

My boyfriend's mom - who's coming with me for a day, her very first time at the show :( - totally surprised boyfriend and me when she said: "Oh, Captain Tightpants is coming? That's neat." when I told her Nathan was announced.

There's probably not another expression in convention language that has that many meanings as "big guest."

I did actually originally say in my post that it depends on the person and their views on what a big guest is, but I added to it and decided to delete that bit as it didn't really fit with the rest of my post :(

I can't say I was overly surprised to see Amanda cancelling - but it's just one of those things, SM have no control over it. Fillion is a good guest - not one for me, but a good guest. Also, don't forget we've still got 3 1/2 weeks to the event.

Ah .. so if they get big guests, people will attend?

Can't believe Jason hasn't thought of that :D

Amateur :dance:

I know! It's awful.. I see the recent requests for Zach Quinto and David Tennant and think that Jason must be slapping himself on the forehead saying "oh my god, I can't believe I never thought about them"!

:thumbup:

That sarcy comment was bought to you by Lizzy, who is now running 3 mins late!!

I agree with your first two points, but feel that point 3 is harsh. The prices have remained the same since I started attending these events about 9 years ago (not just SM). A lot of other industries have seen price hikes on some products since then - this hobby costs the same to me now as it did nearly a decade again. I couldn't say the same for going to Football or indeed many other sports, concerts and indeed the cinema.

Once upon a time when I started to do this, you could with certain people get your own items signed for £5 each, or make deals with them for multiple items. Not now. This is very difficult for those of us (and there are many) who collect multiple items, but dont get any "bulk discount". So, instead, we buy one autograph for £15 - and the celeb gets less money than they would have done had they been able (or allowed) to do a deal.

I agree with your first two points, but feel that point 3 is harsh. The prices have remained the same since I started attending these events about 9 years ago (not just SM). A lot of other industries have seen price hikes on some products since then - this hobby costs the same to me now as it did nearly a decade again. I couldn't say the same for going to Football or indeed many other sports, concerts and indeed the cinema.

Once upon a time when I started to do this, you could with certain people get your own items signed for £5 each, or make deals with them for multiple items. Not now. This is very difficult for those of us (and there are many) who collect multiple items, but dont get any "bulk discount". So, instead, we buy one autograph for £15 - and the celeb gets less money than they would have done had they been able (or allowed) to do a deal.

Those people you did deals with, and who charged £5, who were they? Patrick Stewart? No. Bigger guests come with bigger price tags, it's inevitable I'm afraid - and SM have made constant efforts to keep prices down. The prices they charge are more than reasonable IMO.

Those people you did deals with, and who charged £5, who were they? Patrick Stewart? No. Bigger guests come with bigger price tags, it's inevitable I'm afraid

Not sure anyone argues with that. but then smaller guests come with smaller price tags, and perhaps should have multibuy discounts if time allows. Even if it was 6 for £50, I'd be more likely to spend that than £40 on 4.

of course now the Red Dwarf people are a fiver an auto at the con, I wouldn't pay more than that for them elsewhere. Indeed had I known two months ago I'd probably had gone!

Edited by TerraHawk

smaller guests come with smaller price tags, and perhaps should have multibuy discounts if time allows. Even if it was 6 for £50, I'd be more likely to spend that than £40 on 4.

What sort of guests are we talking about? Third Stormtrooper on the left type guests? Would anyone really want 6 autos from them? Also, people would pool up, and use the offer to get their autos for cheaper prices. I know some people (including me) meet guests to 'meet' them, but a lot of people just want a scribble - especially from the smaller guests. In short, I'm not overly convinced that this would make people buy more autos than they otherwise would - and even if it did, it might not cover the loss in revenue.

What sort of guests are we talking about? Third Stormtrooper on the left type guests? Would anyone really want 6 autos from them?

Third stormtrooper on the left may have been in 10 different Doctor whos. So yes there have been occasions where i've spent £40 on one of them and walked right past big Hollywood people.

As for people abusing the system, I doubt everyone who got Ian's McNeice and Hildrich was desperate to have/meet them. Ironically the later is one I'd of had a few for!

Edited by TerraHawk

It's all about the quality of the guests, simple.

If you book them, they will come.

This point has been addressed on the previous page:

well we could have the biggest guest in the world but if no one know about the event then it will not work

so we have got the guests and done the adds but its hard out there now so to help the event at its new location we have asked people to help us a bit

This event would have a good lineup under normal circumstances, but SM are now looking like their playing in the Championship rather than the Premier League.

The best guests from here should've been taken from this event and put in LFCC, with Collectormania being cancelled or made once a year. The best of LFCC's current guest lineup combined with Leonard Nimoy and a few others from Collectormania would've made for an extravaganza that far more people would go to.

• Moderators

Under "normal circumstances" .. what does that mean?

And considering how hard it is to schedule a lot of guests, you make it sound insanely easy to just shift them from one show to another.

If only!

With my friends, we'll be six (two from France, two from Belgium and two from Switzerland)

But all my friend, we'll hope news great guests. It's a very big investisement to go to MK for two/three days and we would like to meet a maximum of great guest as Fillion/Nimoy and guest as BTTF's guests.

I'll hope another great or very great annoucement by Showmasters.

Edited by -KiKi-

I suppose the Centre:MK would have had a HELL of a lot of passing traffic - people in the shopping centre would stop and look and maybe act on impulse to jump in a queue for an autograph. If not, they'd almost certainly browse the stands and maybe buy a few things from the dealers.

This is one of the things that worries me about moving the event from the Centre:MK - Collectormania when held there had something extra to any of the other events in the UK. It was held in an environment that was accessible to many, many more people than just the autograph/film/sci-fi merchandise collecting community.

People now have to go out of their way to access the event - and the only people who are likely to do this are those who want to go there for a specific reason.

I'll spread the word where I can, but I doubt that the current line-up will appeal to many of the people within the online groups to which I belong, or indeed my other social networks.