A very important message from all at Showmasters

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Maybe Leonard Nimoy isn't available for LFCC.

Leonard is an older gentleman and this is his only planed event this year and a rare one at that as he is now 78

so if you do want to meet him i do not think its a good idea to what to meet him at another event as its taken us along time to get him for this one

just my thoughts

jason :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not possible to compare with the U.S. events. The guests are there and distances less important. Leonard Nimoy is a monster and I have among other things for him. I hope that the guests said the like to make this show a success. :lol:

In France, there aren't any event or sometimes with one or two guests. Since 3 years, we gone to the event in England with Showmasters and others, and it's a real pleasure. But, unfortunely, for this one, we are worried by the lineup and I'm repeating but I'll hope many news guests and not guests as stormtrooper or guests which have 10sec to screen or on DVD bonus... Do you what I mean ? :D

I think this lineup is A LOT better than last time! I'm surprised by the complaints, but I guess one man's big guest is another's nobody.

I think you hit the nail on the head there !! Reading most peoples comments it seems pretty much everyone thinks the guests announced so far are fantastic, which is fine, but personally there is no-one to interest me. That's not to say there won't be a last minute announcement that makes me jump up and down ....or promptly fall over !! Here's hoping :D

I think this lineup is A LOT better than last time! I'm surprised by the complaints, but I guess one man's big guest is another's nobody.

The last MK line up was excellent - I think I met nearly everyone there and thorughly enjoyed myself. There are only 3 people I need to meet at this one so far so I hardly thinks its better than the last one.

But you are right, we all have different opinions as to what warrents being a big guest.

Edited by reddragon

• Moderators

That's another thing - different people expect to meet a different amount of guests.

Me? I'm happy if I get to meet like 5 people out of the lineup. You'll get others who need to meet half the lineup or more to be happy though!

Regarding the prices, while I am prepared to pay £15-25 to meet guests and get their autos, NO-ONE outside of my event/conventions circle is willing to pay 'that much'..

Ive tried talking many people into coming, mostly people in work and this 'real life' that I try to avoid, but once they find out they have to pay £15+ to meet someone (which is 2 and a half hours wages) they soon lose interest and arent bothered. :o

So yes, us lot who collect autos and like meeting the actors and are prepared to pay for it, but the random public or those not as interested just wont stump up the cash, and us collectors are a slowly dying off breed without that many new bloodlines joining in!

I should also add, at least with the casual shoppers in the center, there would be that extra interest in the show and some might be willing to pay up, but now the event is out of the way, I cant see many random people popping in for a look, and even less of them who will pay out to meet actors, so cant win either way lol

Edited by crippsy_99

Regarding the prices, while I am prepared to pay £15-25 to meet guests and get their autos, NO-ONE outside of my event/conventions circle is willing to pay 'that much'..

Ive tried talking many people into coming, mostly people in work and this 'real life' that I try to avoid, but once they find out they have to pay £15+ to meet someone (which is 2 and a half hours wages) they soon lose interest and arent bothered.

So yes, us lot who collect autos and like meeting the actors and are prepared to pay for it, but the random public or those not as interested just wont stump up the cash, and us collectors are a slowly dying off breed without that many new bloodlines joining in!

I think it is a lot for a squiggle though really, I'm new to all of this really, having only attended a couple of weekend conventions so far and planning on at least a couple of signing events this year, I think I'm going to limit myself to actors/actresses from only certain shows as I imagine this does become a very expensive hobby, especially for those who collect autographs from anyone and everyone.

I've pretty much stopped getting autographs, I just get photoshoots now as they mean more to me than the squiggle. However for C15 so far there's not a single guest I'm interested in meeting I'm afraid. I've met Nathan before and there are no other fandoms I'm interested in covered by the guests so far announced which is unusual for me. Usually by now I've booked my hotel and am excited to be going. So far I've not yet decided whether to go at all.

This event would have a good lineup under normal circumstances, but SM are now looking like their playing in the Championship rather than the Premier League.

The best guests from here should've been taken from this event and put in LFCC, with Collectormania being cancelled or made once a year. The best of LFCC's current guest lineup combined with Leonard Nimoy and a few others from Collectormania would've made for an extravaganza that far more people would go to.

I somehow doubt that all the people will have calendars free enough to make this possible. Also, who do you consider to be the 'premier league' if not SM? Is this all about [EVENT NAME HERE] announcing [sUCH AND SUCH] and [sO AND SO]? If so, yes, they're good guests, but SM have been pumping out quality guests for a long time now, and being honest that other event isn't even in the same ballpark.

Ive tried talking many people into coming, mostly people in work and this 'real life' that I try to avoid, but once they find out they have to pay £15+ to meet someone (which is 2 and a half hours wages) they soon lose interest and arent bothered. ;)

I should also add, at least with the casual shoppers in the center, there would be that extra interest in the show and some might be willing to pay up, but now the event is out of the way, I cant see many random people popping in for a look, and even less of them who will pay out to meet actors, so cant win either way lol

At CMG last year a little boy and his Mum had gone into the event because they had thought it was just the entry fee and that was it...The boy was really wanting to meet Peter Davison but his Mum said he couldn't because it was too expensive..I felt so bad. So yeah, the guest prices definately are a put off for some people.

I somehow doubt that all the people will have calendars free enough to make this possible. Also, who do you consider to be the 'premier league' if not SM? Is this all about [EVENT NAME HERE] announcing [sUCH AND SUCH] and [sO AND SO]? If so, yes, they're good guests, but SM have been pumping out quality guests for a long time now, and being honest that other event isn't even in the same ballpark.

I am NOT going to that other event again because the was they treat us as customers is appalling. Yep, they have a couple of good guests atm. But that is it, and apart from them, the line up is rubbish!

CM is going to be the best show in MK in a few years for me, followed by LFCC which gets better every year. MK appeals to a lot of sci-fi-esque genres, and therefore to a lot of fans. Leonard, Nathan and Ben are big names in the world of sci-fi series, and bigger than a lot more names that usually go. But you always get the odd people that complain regardless!!

I saw the ad in the Trek mag... can I just say, why use those pics of Leonard and Avery? Bit random not to use Trek pics of them lol!

I think you hit the nail on the head there !! Reading most peoples comments it seems pretty much everyone thinks the guests announced so far are fantastic, which is fine, but personally there is no-one to interest me. That's not to say there won't be a last minute announcement that makes me jump up and down ....or promptly fall over !! Here's hoping :P

My thoughts were the same then Nathan was announced! :YAHOO:

It's all about the quality of the guests, simple.

If you book them, they will come.

This point has been addressed on the previous page:

well we could have the biggest guest in the world but if no one know about the event then it will not work

so we have got the guests and done the adds but its hard out there now so to help the event at its new location we have asked people to help us a bit

Of course it has been addressed but personally I tend not to agree, of course any publicity and promotion will help but you could have all the promotion in the world and no-one will come if the guests aren't to (enough) peoples liking. The quality of guest is paramount.

• Moderators

There needs to be a reasonable balance between the two.

No company is stupid enough to splash out on numerous huge guests without doing the proper advertising etc, but then that costs money too.

Showmasters aren't a huge company, and so have to be sensible with what they're doing. It's always a risk bringing in the more expensive guests, as there's always potential for losing far more money there. And especially in today's financial climate, that's something that isn't necessarily a good idea.

So yeah, you need both a good lineup and decent advertising, but as everything 'bigger' costs more, they need to draw a line somewhere.

Showmasters aren't a huge company, and so have to be sensible with what they're doing.

They are huge in the UK world of signing events, granted there not as big as Tesco or BMW, but then they arn't competing with them.

:P

LLAP :YAHOO:

• Moderators

That has to be taken in context though. Being 'huge' in the UK signing market doesn't mean they have the funds to be splashing out insane amounts on these 'big guests' that people say they have to get.

I think sometimes some people just don't realise the financial implications that something like that could have. If they continually made massive losses, then there would be no Showmasters. It's not the huge money spinner a lot of people believe it is.

Someone mentioned that another show pulled a guest who cost £200,000 to bring. Imagine for a second that Showmasters spent £200,000 on a guest. At £25 a time they would need to sign 8000 autographs just to draw even, and I'm sure only a fraction of that actually goes to showmasters, some would go to the agent or whoever. 8000 autographs would draw a loss and even 8000 is logistically impossible! Bigger isn't always better... or plausible.

Edited by Psychosis

I might have another friend coming to Collectormania now. She was very tempted by Nathan, but it depends on her financial situation.

The problem with the people coming in from other countries at the moment seems to be that C15 and LFACC are so close together. There's quite a lot of disappointed Firefly fans who have decided on LFACC already and just can't afford both events.

Very true. The only reason I can make this event is that I was so close to another event I had booked for a while back, so all I would have to do was extend my holiday by a week. When Jewel was announced for LFACC I was gutted (I have met her before, but she's my favorite), because not only did the event fall on a working weekend for me, but it was also so close to my already booked trip that there would be no way I could afford coming over for that one as well (so no point in trying to switch weekend shift with someone else), not with being partially unemployed.

So as much as I would love to come, I just can't afford coming to LFACC in addition to this one. The travel alone is too much.

erm not sure when you last checked the website but http://www.collectormania.com/ is currently showing Nathan as having been announced so looks like SM have updated it yey :angel:

surfy sah xx

I got a 403 error when trying that website.

Just a last word about LFCC and C15... You said "they are so close toghether..."

They are very close, but... another solution for us 'who are coming from another country" would be that the 2 events are more close (only 1 week between the both events), so that we could stay in UK between the 2 events...

That's how I'm making it to C15 this year, cause it is very close to another event I am booked for. If only LFCC had been that close to it as well, then I would have extended my vacation further. But, nothing I can do about that. For it to work out for us foreigners to go to several events, they either have to be far enough away so that we can save up money between them, or so close that we can extend our trip with a week to make a second event.

It's as simple as this - big guests bring in the crowds! That's the main attraction that's going to get more people through the doors - not asking mates to coming along!

Once there's some big names involved, that's when people can start talking and showmasters can start advertising on other websites and magazines (like the advert in Total Film).

The definition "big" is not very specific. What do you mean with "big"? Personally I've seen several big announcements for this event. I'm not a trekkie, myself, but even I know that having Spock himself at an event is very big and will attract many excited trekkies to the event. Amanda Tapping (who sadly had to cancel) is the very queen of the Stargate Franchise and was the reason I decided to extend my trip to include this event. Ben Browder is bringing in both Farscape and Stargate fans. Nathan Fillion rules Whedonverse and will attract many whedonites to this event (I am very excited to have him come, despite having met him before).

Now, do you mean "big" as in people who rule the blockbuster movies? People whose name end up in tabloids on a weekly basis? People who won prestidigious (sp?) awards like Oscars/Golden Globes/Emmys? Can you specify what us meant to be a "big" guest? Personally I'd rather queue up for Amanda Tapping's autograph than Brad Pitt's (to be completely honest there are many lesser known TV actors and actresses I'd line up to get an autograph from than some 'name').

In France, there aren't any event or sometimes with one or two guests. Since 3 years, we gone to the event in England with Showmasters and others, and it's a real pleasure. But, unfortunely, for this one, we are worried by the lineup and I'm repeating but I'll hope many news guests and not guests as stormtrooper or guests which have 10sec to screen or on DVD bonus... Do you what I mean ? :D

The only "events" I can expect in Norway are concerts and music festivals. And they hold little appeal for me. TV/Movie stars coming here? In my dreams. So I have to go abroad for everything relating to events. And personally I am *very* happy with the line-up thus far (just sad that Amanda's not going anymore).

That's another thing - different people expect to meet a different amount of guests.

Me? I'm happy if I get to meet like 5 people out of the lineup. You'll get others who need to meet half the lineup or more to be happy though!

I've traveled to the UK solely for a convention with four guests in the past. And once when I was in the UK I took a daytrip from London to Birmingham for *one* guest. It's not the number of guests that matters to me, it's *who* I get to meet. As long as my echonomy allows it, I would be willing to go to an event because of one guest if it was someone I loved enough. When I decided to go to this one, it was two people I wanted to meet, Amanda and Rachel. Now, even with Amanda canceling, I have four names exciting me; Rachel Luttrell (!), Ben Browder, Nathan Fillion (!) and Tony Amendola (sp?)

The only "events" I can expect in Norway are concerts and music festivals. And they hold little appeal for me. TV/Movie stars coming here? In my dreams.

Wasn't there a con in Norway the other year? Uh.. I think it was in Oslo. Sweden have three cons every year, but it's quite repetitive and nobody really cares about the guests.