Guest cancellation Amanda Tapping

showmasters

• Moderators

Well they do not announce guests until contracts are finalised, so yes there was every intention of her coming. I believe there was even a statement of sorts from Amanda herself regarding her attendance.

No one 'knew' anything before - it's just unfortunate when guests have cancelled before, people are more cautious about them coming in future. I suppose they don't want to get their hopes up just in case!

In the end, it's highly risky for ANYONE to attend a signing event just for ONE guest. I'm not sure I would. It's unfortunate for people, and I do have every sympathy, but it's something everyone should be cautious about.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but wonder if there was ever any intention of her attending.

Did you see the statement from her agent posted in the original announcement topic of Amanda when some people started worrying AManda might cancel?

Dear Jason,

Please post this message from my client, Amanda Tapping:

In a phone call today, March 23rd, 2009, with my client, Amanda Tapping, Amanda requested that the following be posted on the Showmasters website.

"I want to let everyone know how excited I am to be attending Collectormania this June in Milton Keynes! I look forward to meeting my fans to sign autographs and take photos." Amanda Tapping

Julie Caitlin Brown

We've been through a very similar subject in the Tom Wopat cancellation topic a couple od days ago: Showmasters has nothing to gain from announcing guests that they actually don't have a contract with. You don't need entrance tickets for Collectormania that could be sold based on a certain announcement.

Amanda is a busy woman, which is why she's cancelled often, I'd assume. Work commitments will always come first, unfortunately for those who are losing out because of this!

Please remind me, did Amanda ever get announced again after C6? That's the only one I remember her cancelling.

Tori Higginson has cancelled a couple of times, and Michael Shanks even more often, but I really can't remember Amanda being announced again after C6.

Oh dear - I know three people coming from Europe and two from the US just to meet her :(

We kept reading the cryptic comments on the announcement thread as she's cancelled every single other MK event as far as we can remember. It seemed that it was going to be okay this time, but like many other things in life, it appears that you know only if you're in the know.

I've only lost a photo shoot, the money for which I'll get back; my friends may feel that they have wasted a great deal of money as she was the guest for them, if they still come that is. As the C-Mania site is still down, I'm now going to have to call them and tell them... great.

I'm trying to be pragmatic about this - after all, what have we really got to complain about, etc., but this is quite frankly a bummer. I can't help but wonder if there was ever any intention of her attending.

Sorry, but that's just the way I happen to feel about it.

Clara.. who in all honesty probably won't come now, again, sorry.

It's unfortunate for anyone who has a flight or trains, etc booked just to see one guest. Like you, I'm fortunate that I will need to have my photo shoot ticket refunded.

To my knowledge, Amanda has only been announced twice for a SM event and whilst she has not yet attended, her reasons are genuine for not being able to appear. The first time was because she was pregnant and it was obviously risky for her to fly and this time she will be directing Sanctuary - her website has announced that the director's schedule has only just been issued and this has therefore caused the conflict.

Having met Amanda a few times I know how much she enjoys meeting the fans, so I would imagine does not like having to cancel her attendance at anything. Unfortunately, for those actors who are still working on a "live" show against something which has perhaps just finished or between films, etc it is often difficult to work things around their day job.

Not the sort of thing people find particularly comforting, but at the end of the day that work must surely come first - SM, like most organisers, have always stated that attendance is based on availability, if the actor is working on a show or film, that would always be a priority.

E

We've been through a very similar subject in the Tom Wopat cancellation topic a couple od days ago: Showmasters has nothing to gain from announcing guests that they actually don't have a contract with. You don't need entrance tickets for Collectormania that could be sold based on a certain announcement.

Thank you for the information Queen Sindel - I visited the topic that you referred to and was somehwat dismayed and made rather uncomfortable by the virtual verbal diatribes that ensued.

I do not post very often but I assumed that the forums were there for users to chat and also to express their opinions; please accept my apologies if I have broken any forum protocol; I have no wish to start an argument.

In these depressing crdit crunch days I'm sure that moaners do not help, so I will accept the matter is concluded but thank you again for your information.

Thank you for the information Queen Sindel - I visited the topic that you referred to and was somehwat dismayed and made rather uncomfortable by the virtual verbal diatribes that ensued.

I do not post very often but I assumed that the forums were there for users to chat and also to express their opinions; please accept my apologies if I have broken any forum protocol; I have no wish to start an argument.

You haven't broken any forum protocol, and I most certainly did not want to keep you from posting. If you got that impression, please accept my apologies.

I understand you are unhappy and some of your friends have lost money. I've been there myself - actually a friend of mine left the Comic Con line two years ago when we got the news Tori cancelled and went to the British Museum instead.

Of course everyone has a right to post and express their opinions. But come on here and post something like

I can't help but wonder if there was ever any intention of her attending.

does basically mean that you are saying the organiser has announced a guest that they never had a contract with.

Such posts are being made pretty much after every "bigger" cancellation. Who was the guy from POTC that cancelled again? Bill Nighy I think. After a while those posts get unnerving, because as I said: what would Showmasters have to gain by making false announcements?

I was very disappointed initially. Amanda was going to be the first guest I headed for, but then I remembered that there is still an excellent line up for the show :( .

Also, I was pulled out of 'mourning' by Jason's inital post yesterday that, because they suceeded in signing Amanda up for this event, it should be easier to get her back for another event this year. Incidentally this was sort of followed up in the cancellation/apology notification on Amanda's website today by it's webmaster

"Amanda would like to apologize and is very sorry, and will be rescheduling as soon as she can"

Looks promising to me. Personally I am hoping for a Chevron appearance, although having a ticket already I may be considered biased!

This is a message from Amanda's official website

"Amanda's appearance at Collectormania 15, in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, originally scheduled for 5-7 June, 2009, has been cancelled.

The cancellation of the appearance occured due to the fact that the new directors schedule for Sanctuary made it impossible for Amanda to attend the Milton Keynes event. Amanda will be directing a Sanctuary episode at that time.

Amanda would like to apologize and is very sorry, and will be rescheduling as soon as she can."

Sorry if I've broken a rule posting this however just thought it would help answer peoples questions about the cancellation.

Oh dear - I know three people coming from Europe and two from the US just to meet her :D

We kept reading the cryptic comments on the announcement thread as she's cancelled every single other MK event as far as we can remember. It seemed that it was going to be okay this time, but like many other things in life, it appears that you know only if you're in the know.

I've only lost a photo shoot, the money for which I'll get back; my friends may feel that they have wasted a great deal of money as she was the guest for them, if they still come that is. As the C-Mania site is still down, I'm now going to have to call them and tell them... great.

I'm trying to be pragmatic about this - after all, what have we really got to complain about, etc., but this is quite frankly a bummer. I can't help but wonder if there was ever any intention of her attending.

Sorry, but that's just the way I happen to feel about it.

Clara.. who in all honesty probably won't come now, again, sorry.

I do feel for you Clara. It's difficult when the guest you want to see cancels, even more so when you are travelling from overseas to see them and you have an unrefundable air fare.

However it should be noted, as lams said, that this is one of the risks when you book for a single guest. If you are only wanting to see one person, you have to accept the fact that they can and might cancel and you might loose the money you have paid as you cannot get it back.

I can tell you that Amanda is an honest person and she wouldn't book an event if she had no intention of appearing. As has already been said, Showmasters will not announce a guest unless they have them booked. Look at how much grief they get when someone cancels. they aren't going to do that to themselves deliberately.

Unfortunately Amanda is very busy this year. She's filming and producing Sanctuary, she has the Stargate film to do and I've heard she may have another film in the pipeline. Unfortunately it's the nature of the business that all that get's priority.

I'm sure she will attend another event soon.

Lots of people in the past who have been in similar situations have said that they came anyway and had a good time.

This is a message from Amanda's official website

"Amanda's appearance at Collectormania 15, in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, originally scheduled for 5-7 June, 2009, has been cancelled.

The cancellation of the appearance occured due to the fact that the new directors schedule for Sanctuary made it impossible for Amanda to attend the Milton Keynes event. Amanda will be directing a Sanctuary episode at that time.

Amanda would like to apologize and is very sorry, and will be rescheduling as soon as she can."

Sorry if I've broken a rule posting this however just thought it would help answer peoples questions about the cancellation.

Not only does that not break a rule as far as I understand it, it's also very helpful. (IMHO)

I have, this afternoon/evening processed all the refunds for the cancelled Amanda Tapping photoshoot. They have gone back onto the original card used at the time of placing the order. Please allow up to 7 days for this to reach the account before querying for non-receipt.

There are five orders where the cards have expired so the refunds couldn't be actioned, but I have emailed those people accordingly.

Also please note - if you placed your order on the 8th May to date for an Amanda Tapping photoshoot, then this was NOT processed and no refund is due. In the case of orders being placed where there were other photoshoots included, then the cost of Amanda's was deduced by me manually at the time of processing. This only affects orders placed 8th May to date.

All other orders placed 7th May and previous to that have been refunded in the usual way.

we are sorry to have to let you know that Amanda Tapping is now no longer able to attend this event dew to filming

we worked hard to get her for this event but now this has come up but it should be easier to rebook her into another one of our event latter on in the year

once again we are sorry to have to tell you all this but you will get to meet her soon

all refunds will go out in the next few days

jason :YAHOO:

Is there any chance you can keep my refund so that I can book a photo shoot with another guest.

Gwenda

roxton@telkomsa.net

I do feel for you Clara. It's difficult when the guest you want to see cancels, even more so when you are travelling from overseas to see them and you have an unrefundable air fare. [...]

I'm sure she will attend another event soon.

Lots of people in the past who have been in similar situations have said that they came anyway and had a good time.

Thanks very much for your reply - sorry I ddn't reply sooner - RL got in the way and that put it all in perspective.

You're quite right and although some of my friends are now not coming, one nearly squealed the phone off because she can now afford a photo with Ben Browder :(

A few of our group have young families that we put first always. Sometimes - and I know this sounds a bit eye-rolly - although we save up for ages, only one auto *or* one photo is all we can afford by the time we've paid out to get to the event (and managed to find babysitters!) and I suppose we do get our hopes up because we don't get let out that often!

I would just like to say to anyone reading this thread; don't be put off the event by miseries like me *g* The last MK event I went to was very well organised and I got to meet Michael Shanks and Chris Judge, who should have their own double act show really - MUCH fun :)

Also - new venue! Good luck!

Heart has sunk :D ,

And only consoled but the fact that I will still be attending a Awesome event - - - - - - :D

and there is yet a glimmer - there is still Con's this year, and she would want to promote season 2.....

Sanctuary for all.....

Hint - wouldn't it be great to get Ammanda - and the rest of the sanctuary cast in the country at the same time - lets say .... late october....... with SM/ME . . . . . .