An audience with Scott Bakula

• Showmasters Admin

In this case for it to be financially viable to run a talk it has to be paid for. It's a shame it can't be free but it's necessary to allow some guests to be able to do a talk at all.

The total amount paid to get some guests to attend a show means if the show allows an hour out of their day to do a free talk the show will likely loss money on that guest. Yes with some guests an hour can make the difference between the show making money and not.

Some people may say "just put the autograph price up!". But honestly why should everyone buying an autograph be taxed to allow the talk to be free.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case for it to be financially viable to run a talk it has to be paid for. It's a shame it can't be free but it's necessary to allow some guests to be able to do a talk at all.

The total amount paid to get some guests to attend a show means if the show allows an hour out of their day to do a free talk the show will likely loss money on that guest. Yes with some guests an hour can make the difference between the show making money and not.

Some people may say "just put the autograph price up!". But honestly why should everyone buying an autograph be taxed to allow the talk to be free.

at one convention in the States last year it was £75 per auto.

(i heard that he doesn't have any say how his autograph cost the customer)

• Showmasters Admin

(i heard that he doesn't have any say how his autograph cost the customer)

Maybe but he has some say over how much his fee is. And that will always effect the price of the autograph. The more they want for appearing the more the autograph needs to be to cover that cost.

And yes that was a mad amount that the US show wanted. I had a friend at the show and wasn't willing to pay that much.

for me its a once in a lifetime to meet/see scott bakula.

i don't remember him ever coming to the uk - so it is worth it for me.

You are correct he's never signed in Europe before.

Just one of the reasons why people should be a bit more positive about SM sometimes... Anyway, let's do a quick non-stochastic analysis of the various Baku-budgets, and what Baku-benefits they would bring : -

£25 - One autographed item, and probably a very quick hello

£50 - As above, complete with a photoshoot of you and the Count

£70 - All of the above, complete with a 45 minute Q and A session, where you can ask questions and interact with the Count

£75 - All of the above, plus an egg and cress sandwich and a diet coke.

By my admittedly offhand calculations, you're getting a hell of a lot more for your money that at the other con. Did they include a round of egg and cress with the cost of the autograph?? I don't think so.

Part of me wants to say if you don't want to spend the money, don't go. Big guests come with big costs, and SM need to recoup that somehow. But no-one has a gun to your head forcing you into the talk.

Only there on the SUnday - really dissappointed I cant make this :(

Me too :( Grr... but, at least it saves money without an agonising decision lol!

Also a one-day-Sundayer who is missing out :clap: ! In one way I am glad because with multiple photoshoots already booked no doubt something would have clashed with a talk. Although in this case I probably would have happily ditched the photoshoot... :(

"Charged for talks" is something I've anticipated and feared since Patrick Stewart's last year. {...} I guess all big guests will always have "charged for" talks now and it worries me that even guests who only represent one fandom like the Twilight bloke have them too.

I saw it coming too, and I think I'm not against this development in principle, on the understanding that it leads to bigger guests... we'll have to see how it develops.

Agreed. I have no problem paying for a talk with a 'bigger guest' (waiting for Leonard Nimoy talk!). I enjoyed Patrick Stewart's talk and I expect Scott's will be excellent as well. To be honest, and I expect to get shot for saying this :clap: , but when I first started attending the SM events I was amazed to find the talks were free. I had expected to (and would have quite happily) pay extra for them. They have been amazing value I think.

Totally agree. I wouldn't be impressed (who would?) paying an extra £10 (random figure) on someone's autograph knowing that 100 other people would get entry to a free talk with that same person on a day I can't even attend!

Not impressed. Don't like egg and cress. Now if it was ham & tomato, or tuna & onion, peanut butter and banana.....and a bag of crisps :(

Yeah hiking up the price for one thing to make something else cheaper/free wouldnt be good.

It's not like all the talks are charged, just ones for certain people. So if you really want to see them do a talk, you make your own choice to pay or not.

I am not going Saturday - main reason - parking costs!!! Last time cost me around £20 for the day so if I went on Sat just for the talk it would cost me £40 in reality.

Sunday is free parking almost everywhere so will be going then. Saves me some money (£40!!). lol.

Its not a lot to pay for a talk, esp as it was unexpected. Just hope the quality of the talk is good...

Just hope the quality of the talk is good...
That generally depends on the questions asked so its up to the fans as much as Scott himself.

Intelligent and interesting questions about career and roles are always good rather than the "who cares?" types like the typical fanboy-ish "who would win in a fight between Archer and Sam Beckett?" or "If you could have super powers what would they be?" or even, "If you went to a Halloween party would you dress as The Alien" (yes, someone asked that at Alien talk at LFCC2). :headscratch:

There have been some great talks in the past but also some bad ones ruined by dumb irrelevant unimportant Qs.

Edited by nicky

Until recently the talks at Autographica had to be paid for individually as well (now you get four free talks included with the price of the Gold Pass) Admittedly they were generally only £10 each but then you didn't get any trinkets and baubles included in the price.

I have to say from all the talks I paid for at Autographica they always proved to be well worth the money, especially when you can catch a guest in the right mood and they are willing to be a bit more candid.

Always better to have a free talk of course but I would think its better to have a charged talk than no talk at all.

Just one of the reasons why people should be a bit more positive about SM sometimes... Anyway, let's do a quick non-stochastic analysis of the various Baku-budgets, and what Baku-benefits they would bring : -

£25 - One autographed item, and probably a very quick hello

£50 - As above, complete with a photoshoot of you and the Count

£70 - All of the above, complete with a 45 minute Q and A session, where you can ask questions and interact with the Count

By my admittedly offhand calculations, you're getting a hell of a lot more for your money that at the other con. Did they include a round of egg and cress with the cost of the autograph?? I don't think so.

Part of me wants to say if you don't want to spend the money, don't go. Big guests come with big costs, and SM need to recoup that somehow. But no-one has a gun to your head forcing you into the talk.

plus £10 to get in if you want to get there early for the best chance for an autograph from SB - so £80 it total - for entry, x 1 auto, x 1 photo and x1 talk.

maybe i'll take a packed lunch instead!

at the risk of repeating myself £80 isn't loads of money for someone to see/meet since i have liked since 1993.

if people think that is expensive - michael jackson charged £3,000 for a meet and greet in japan a few years ago.

Well, £80 is the price you can pay for a full week-end convention with 10 guests giving 2 talks of 1 hour each, spending lots of quality time with you at the party and/or at the bar, 5 free autographs, etc ... so saying that £80 is not a lot is really dependent on what you actually expect. But I reckon that Scott is a very rare and quite big guest, no discussion about that. I'm happy to pay a lot of money to meet him. Just wanted to replace things in context as well.

Once again, if I don't want to pay £15 for a talk, it's because I've been disappointed by most talks at LFFC or similar events before, too noisy for me and since English is not my mother tongue, this has been sometimes a serious problem for me attending those talks before, so for me it's not worth the investment. However, I can understand the reasons behind it and I also completely respect people who are willing to pay that amount of money.

Sorry, but I have never been to a weekend con with 10 guests before... ;)

I'd be quite happy to pay £15 for a guest talk from Scott, especially as his appreances in Europe are rare, let alone the UK. :D

Edited by Starbuck73

• Showmasters Admin

The Hub 1 did and you got 8 free autographs at that. But I know the events Lams is talking about.

As he says, he's cool with people wanting to pay the £15 and understands why people will as Scott is a rare guest, but for the reasons he mentions it's not worth it to him.

I hate the idea and will not support it.

I reckon it is the only way to make these guests economical to bring

I dont think anyone can seriously expect everyone be free as it must be mega bucks nowadays with rates of exchange to bring decent guests over.

It is your choice not to attend, but when it includes such a good size photo too, it isnt actually a bad deal

The Hub 1 did and you got 8 free autographs at that. But I know the events Lams is talking about.

As he says, he's cool with people wanting to pay the £15 and understands why people will as Scott is a rare guest, but for the reasons he mentions it's not worth it to him.

Is it not £20??

:( An important question:

if the swine flu is worse in July and I am afraid to travel, will be my tickets refunded?.

Tickets are non-refundable, so no.

Just out of curiosity, why would the swine flu getting worse make you afraid to travel? If it got really bad, surely you'd be just as likely to catch it in your home town as anywhere.