What did you buy from the dealers?

Rhy135

Star Wars rules the action figures world yes, but I think you underestimate the popularity of Alien/Pred Sideshow dioramas, NECA/McFarlane toys and demand for Hot Toys 1/6 line. I know cos I do collect them. I didnt mean Alien/Pred merchaindise was bigger than SW, I said it sells in some cases just aswell in certain areas like the ones I just mentioned.

I sell genre-related games and collectables.
Sorry I missed this but WHAT?! Not posters????!!! How can you claim to know what posters sell and what dont then if that's not what you sell??

And that thing you said about posters for older films not selling, HUH?! They're the ones that would sell cos they're classics that have stood the test of time and accumalted fans more and more fans over the years and are already embedded in pop-culture. I was in Tower Records just now and they have repros of Taxi Driver, Jaws, Scarface, Pulp Fiction, Reservpir Dogs, Star Wars, The Terminator and Aliens. Why? Cos they're classics that have longevity and cult appeal unlike the "so hot right now" types.

Edited by nicky

Star Wars rules the action figures world yes, but I think you underestimate the popularity of Alien/Pred Sideshow dioramas, NECA/McFarlane toys and demand for Hot Toys 1/6 line. I know cos I do collect them. I didnt mean Alien/Pred merchaindise was bigger than SW, I said it sells in some cases just aswell in certain areas.

I didn't say that they don't sell, just that they don't sell in anything like the quantities of something like SW merchandise. Also, that there isn't anywhere near as large a variety of stuff.

I sell genre-related games and collectables.
Sorry I missed this but WHAT?! Not posters????!!! How can you claim to know what posters sell and what dont then if that's not what you sell??

No, I don't sell posters, but I know a lot of dealers very well. I'm also using logic, if you go to HMV or Forbidden Planet, the majority of the posters available are for current films/TV shows etc.

And that thing you said about posters for older films not selling, HUH?! They're the ones that would sell cos they're classics that have stood the test of time and accumalted fans more and more fans over the years and are already embedded in pop-culture. I was in Tower Records just now and they have repros of Taxi Driver, Jaws, Scarface, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, The Terminator and Aliens. Why? Cos they're classics that have longevity and cult appeal unlike the "so hot right now" types.

If they were that popular, then you'd see a lot more stalls at events selling them... They're classic, because people still remember them, but how many people see an Alien 3 poster and think 'hey, I've never seen that before, even though the film is 10 years old, I must buy it'. Yes, I take your point that people at an event might want it to get it signed by a guest, but firstly that demand is hard to judge and secondly, you're screwed if the guest can't make it. Yes, Tower Records has a half dozen posters for older classic films.... but there have been hundreds of thousands of films in the last 30 years, you can't possibly hope to stock a big enough varity to make a go of it at an event, where you are extremely limited in what you can display. Also, there are obviously still people printing posters for a handful of classic films, but your choice as a dealer is going to be limited to what your supplier has available.

NECA/McFarlane toys and demand for Hot Toys 1/6 line.

Arent they action figures though too?

Im not knocking you,i used to collect the Mcfarlane Movie Maniacs waves and i thought the wave of Predator figures that came out roundabout 2004 were outstanding whoever were responsible for those.

NECA/McFarlane toys and demand for Hot Toys 1/6 line.

Arent they action figures though too? i thought the wave of Predator figures that came out roundabout 2004 were outstanding whoever were responsible for those.

The general public would call them "action figures", yes but to collectors they're not "toys", they're "collectables" or "poseable models". I certianly wouldnt give any of that kinda stuff to a toddler to throw around the monkey bars especially a £120 RRP Predator (now going for £400+ on eBay).

Yes, it was McFarlane Toys that made the Movie Maniacs series which did include 7" and 12" Predator, Aliens, Terminator etc. The 7" and 18" stuff that's come out more recently is made by NECA. Look out for the Terminator 2 wave of figs from them next month. They are amazing.

Edited by nicky

Oh well maybe its a tag i need to shake off.

I still refer to my Universal Horror Sideshow 12" collection as action figures although if anyone tried to play with them i would have to terminate the offender with extreme predjudice.

Edited by Phantom