Would you like the events to be run together everytime.

chrisrus

Who would rather have midlands and autographica together?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the two events to be joint permanently?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

I was always intending to go to Autographica before the decision was taken to run the two together but the chances are I wouldn't have gone to Midlands as an event by itself. As it was while I spent more at Autographica, I still paid for a few signatures at the Midlands event as well.

Personally I can see Pros and Cons of having them together.

I do think that Autographica itself had less stalls, but was this down to dealers being in CM:Midlands or due to recession.

I also always enjoy the relaxed nature of Autographica which for the most part was the there this time but it was a lot busier in the afternoon compared with normalgraphica. Was it not the case of them limiting it to 1000 odd people a day? Which I suspect would have been a lot higher this time?

I did not like the layout of CM:Midland compared with normal Collectormanias seemed very odd. If they do do this again I do think CM:Midlands needs to be in a bigger hall, as the hall that was used for the first Autographica at the NEC not bigger?

I did not like the layout of CM:Midland compared with normal Collectormanias seemed very odd. If they do do this again I do think CM:Midlands needs to be in a bigger hall

I voted yes as it was a nice mix, but I agree with SciFiMAD's comment. Also too few stalls for me- but that is mostly due to the recession I'd assume. Be interesting to see the number at MK...

I did not like the layout of CM:Midland compared with normal Collectormanias seemed very odd. If they do do this again I do think CM:Midlands needs to be in a bigger hall, as the hall that was used for the first Autographica at the NEC not bigger?
I'm not sure the venue was soo bad that they shouldnbt have it there again. To me its the guests that are important above all else including the venue.

I thought it went very well. If I was to be really picky, I could say that there could have been more signs pointing the right way - but it wasn't hard to figure out.

As for the CM room, I felt it was fine. I didn't really buy anything from the dealers this time - although I was very tempted by a poster from Raiders of the Lost Ark with a design I hadn't seen before. If it hadn't have already been signed by Karen Allen and Paul Freeman I might have picked it up.

raiders%20of%20the%20lost%20ark%20320x240.jpg

Autographica isn't always in the Midlands though

By the look of it it is. As the next one is at the Birmingham Hilton again. I think Showmasters are might be looking at merging the two events together for good, see like the only reason they would have two autographicas at he NEC a year instead of one at Heathrow and one at NEC.

I hope it is not going to be like that as I love the Heathrow event as its only 30min drive from where I live and 10mins from where I work.

I still cant decide if I would want the two events together, I seem to equal up even amount of pros and cons, but I think from a Autographica point of view its not a good idea. It benefits CM:Midlands more then Autographica as it is still a young show compared to the older graphica.

I'm not sure the venue was soo bad that they shouldnbt have it there again. To me its the guests that are important above all else including the venue.

Agreed I think the Birmingham Hilton is better the the Heathrow venue in many ways in terms of space and having it all in one giant room compared with Heathrow where it is over a number of rooms and floors.

I did not like the layout of CM:Midland compared with normal Collectormanias seemed very odd. If they do do this again I do think CM:Midlands needs to be in a bigger hall

I voted yes as it was a nice mix, but I agree with SciFiMAD's comment. Also too few stalls for me- but that is mostly due to the recession I'd assume. Be interesting to see the number at MK...

I suspect it might just be down to CM:Midlands being a very young show since that has not got of to the best of starts, change of venue, quality of guests, but they have managed to have one/two big "Special" guests at each one.

• Showmasters Admin

I think Showmasters are might be looking at merging the two events together for good, see like the only reason they would have two autographicas at he NEC a year instead of one at Heathrow and one at NEC.

There are many reasons why Jason, Dave and Paul may feel they want to move the event to the NEC permanently. Not just to have the two together.

It would be much better to run the two together. I got to Midlands at 10.50am and left after just over an hour as I only had one autograph and there were hardly any stalls. If I could have been bothered to wait until 1pm to get into Autographica for free I would definately have done so but I was bored but next time I would probably wait.

I think SciFiMAD's concern is not that the 2 events were at the same place and time but rather he thought that CM would have been better had it not been at the Hilton.

Yes and No, I like the Hilton I think it works well for a Autographica style event, but debate if it works for CM:Midlands. Would be interesting to see it over another room, so all the dealers in one room and then autographica guests in another room and then CM:Midlands guests in another. So joint dealers room and separate guest rooms

Maybe all the public could access the dealers room from opening time but you can only access the specific guest room at the times/tickets available for that event. Think that might be better.

As I spotted pictures of guest from autographica which I liked in dealers rooms in CM:Midlands that i would of liked signed but i had already been through autographica. So joint dealers room would also benefit the dealers to.

Just a idea?!!?

I think Showmasters are might be looking at merging the two events together for good, see like the only reason they would have two autographicas at he NEC a year instead of one at Heathrow and one at NEC.

There are many reasons why Jason, Dave and Paul may feel they want to move the event to the NEC permanently. Not just to have the two together.

I know the reason and suspect any person in the right mind would its "Money/Profit", only reason to do something in business.

I suspect the NEC Hilton is cheaper to hire then a hotel at Heathrow. It also is in the middle of the country so I suspect it appeals to a bigger audience which in turn brings in more people and spend more money. It makes sense.

In fact I think the Hilton NEC is far better then the Heathrow venue only reason I like that one is because its so close to where I live.

Either way I know Showmasters put on great events so what ever they do I know will be for the best.

The Hilton is absolutely perfect for Autographica, but it dilutes the Collectormania vibe imo. CM belongs in GMex / Earl's Court type places. This just felt like a bigger Autographica to be honest. Add to this that the actual Autographica had so very few "screen" guests compared to previous years, and that people like David Warner and George Lazenby fit the Autographica template just as easily as the Collectormania one.

To be blunt, the combined events just compensated for Autographica moving off in a direction that really does not interest me. Once George Baker and Dudley Sutton cancelled, I probably wouldn't have gone to Autographica on it's own - no matter HOW much I wanted to meet Borgnine or a comparable headliner.

I hope these events run together again and as for the Hilton it had a nice ambience and was far more personal than a half empty nippy exibition hall.I found myself more relaxed with the guests than ever before due to the cosy surroundings and there was a lack of manga kids running around being "wacky" which was fine by me.The only problem i could see was that the usual Stormtroopers and other characters seemed out of place and really only work at stadium events.I couldnt imagine a platoon of gorillas running amok in the hotel.Its a nice thought though.

Most of the shows/fairs ive been to have been in hotels and you get a different buzz to that of one held in a stadium.

Whilst i enjoyed them personally I really feel there was zero atmosphere at the last october midlands show and the last gmex but last wknd despite being on my jack it worked for me and i hope its going to be held there again away from the horrible Ricoh.

Edited by Phantom

• Showmasters Admin

One other point is if Showmasters decide to make the two events together for good why keep its as two separate named events, why not just have it underone banner.

Maybe Showmastersmania, Jasongraphica you get the idea.

They can't simply be put together, because they are in fact two different companies.

The common denominator between the two companies (Autographica/Showmasters) is Jason. But both companies have other owners that are NOT involved in the other event. And therefore they have to be keep apart for financial and other practical reasons.

This is not a go at you, but a general comment. This is the problem. People come on here and think they have the best idea ever, but it's because they may have less than half the facts. I'm not saying they should have those facts, but people need to realise that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that make it impossible to do things that to them "make perfect sense".

Edited by Too Tall

Autographica is a very separate kind of event - and needs to stay that way in terms of its name and the type of guest it attracts and the autograph collectors it caters for.

Collectormania in essence caters for a broader spectrum - not just collectors of Autographs. I remember the very first few Collectormania's I went to as a collector of Star Wars Collectables and not with the intent of meeting any of the guests. I used to go to the Sci-Fi fairs at the Rivermead Leisure Centre in Reading which were early SM events along with the one at Cheshunt. It wasn't just about the autographs that got CM going - it was the whole thing!

I wouldn't like to see them come under one banner, BUT I would like to see the two run together again - it worked really, really well and helped keep people busy for longer.

As for moving Autographica permanently to the Hilton Metropole at the NEC - I think this would be a really welcome move. It's easily accessible and has a really good environment - the food hall place is handy, the rooms are good. Parking is good, etc. It's a great location for a great event.

To be blunt, the combined events just compensated for Autographica moving off in a direction that really does not interest me. Once George Baker and Dudley Sutton cancelled, I probably wouldn't have gone to Autographica on it's own - no matter HOW much I wanted to meet Borgnine or a comparable headliner.

Not sure I get that, for me the staple of Autographica has been military veterans, astronauts, Bond and older British TV guests. Admittedly the last category wasn't as much in evidence as in previous years but at the same time both Dudley Sutton and George Baker were booked to appear so that indicates to me that they are still looking to keep that aspect of the show alive and are not making a deliberate move in a different direction.

As for the location I think the Hilton in Birmingham is very good. I actually live closer to Heathrow but don't drive but in reality I have to change buses and trains a few times to get to Heathrow whereas I can get a direct train to Birmingham which pretty much drops me at the hotel door.

I originally checked the cmm site to see when,where and who was going to be there. Whilst there were several-Wraner, Hyde ect am not sure if i would have come down. Hpowever once i saw autographica was running alongside it with EB,GK and George Johnson from the bam buster raid i checked for the cheap rail fairs to be able come down.

Both events to kept seperate but held together for a yr or two so cmm can get some extra promotion and then could be able to stay on its won to feet as it were after that little bit more exposure

There is no doubt that having these events side by side is a good idea.

They are totally different kinds of events so of course need to be run under their own banner, but having the chance to go over to the other event free after a certain time is good business sense and opens the door for those curious to see what is on offer at an event they maybe would not have ventured to in the first place.

You just need to read the thread on who met who and what they bought to see that a large number of people made good use of both events , and even on this thread people have said that having 2 events is what persuaded them to travel.

I see no disadvantage to them running side by side and in my opinion the fact that it may encourage more attendees has to be good for future guest line ups.