Mickey Rooney photosession

piles

As for Joan i assumed she has always been attatched to wealthy men so i thought for her money was never a problem.
But doesnt she generally go for younger men? They generally dont have a lot of money so surely its the reverse in that they are attracted to her for money and other things.

I didnt meet Rooney. In the queue for Borgey on Sat afternoon I saw maybe one person meet Rooney and thought that putting him next to Borgey might have pissed him off seeing as he had to watch Borgey's big queue go by while he had no one waiting.

at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be associated with TV work then he shouldn't do it,
Do you think it's cos it was a TV show and not a movie or cos it was only 30 mins? I've never had a film guest sign a TV show but I have had them sign film posters for which they only had uncredited cameos in eg Jenny Agguter and Bruce Campbell for Darkman and Bruce again for Escape From LA. Obvously they're better known for bigger (and maybe better) things but I guess film stars like to be known for film roles? Edited by nicky

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be associated with TV work then he shouldn't do it,
Do you think it's cos it was a TV show and not a movie or cos it was only 30 mins? I've never had a film guest sign a TV show but I have had them sign film posters for which they only had uncredited cameos in eg Jenny Agguter and Bruce Campbell for Darkman and Bruce again for Escape From LA. Obvously they're better known for bigger (and maybe better) things but I guess film stars like to be known for film roles?

I suppose he's thinking about his legacy. The thing is, I'm not sure what 'classic' film you could really associate Rooney with. I would think the biggest contender was "Breakfast at Tiffanys" - but as I've said in my personal opinion that particular role was very thinly veiled racism, and blots the copybook of the whole film. The fact that he refuses to apologize for the 'performance' doesn't do much to endear him to me, frankly.

The fact that he refuses to apologize for the 'performance' doesn't do much to endear him to me, frankly.
On Wikipedia:
In the 45th anniversary edition DVD release, producer Richard Shepherd repeatedly apologizes for this, stating "If we could just change Mickey Rooney, I'd be thrilled with the movie."[8] Director Blake Edwards has stated in regards to Rooney's yellowface character, "Looking back, I wish I had never done it...and I would give anything to be able to recast it, but it's there, and onward and upward"[9]. In a 2008 interview about the movie, 87-year-old Rooney said he was heartbroken about the criticism and that he had never received any complaints about his portrayal.[10]

I wonder if anyone brought it up at the wkend?

Edited by nicky

As for Joan i assumed she has always been attatched to wealthy men so i thought for her money was never a problem.
But doesnt she generally go for younger men? They generally dont have a lot of money so surely its the reverse in that they are attracted to her for money and other things.

I didnt meet Rooney. In the queue for Borgey on Sat afternoon I saw maybe one person meet Rooney and thought that putting him next to Borgey might have pissed him off seeing as he had to watch Borgey's big queue go by while he had no one waiting.

Do you think it's cos it was a TV show and not a movie or cos it was only 30 mins? I've never had a film guest sign a TV show but I have had them sign film posters for which they only had uncredited cameos in eg Jenny Agguter and Bruce Campbell for Darkman and Bruce again for Escape From LA. Obvously they're better known for bigger (and maybe better) things but I guess film stars like to be known for film roles?

I don't really know how Mickey Rooney feels about these things and after seeing some of his behaviour over the weekend I'm not sure I'd care to explore his psyche any further!

The more general point I was making related to Phantom's view that asking Mickey Rooney to sign something related to the Simpsons was somehow inappropriate when it was put into the context of his wider body of work. I would think if an film actor was of the opinion that appearing on a TV show was somehow demeaning, and that by appearing in it some people might associate them with it, then he wouldn't have agreed to be in it.

I don't think there's a right or wrong here as such, we all have different tastes in film and TV, some men on here apparently even some to like musicals and that's their lifestyle choice. It just seems a bit off to have a pop at someone because they might want to have something different signed to what others consider appropriate.

Im just wondering has anyone ever declined to pay after getting the rude treatment from a guest?

If somebody was rude to me and signed the pic and i hadnt yet paid i dont think id cough up.

:YAHOO: This is one of the reasons I always make sure people pay before I let him give the guest stuff to sign when I'm an assistant. Nobody's running off without paying on my watch :YAHOO:

I would think if an film actor was of the opinion that appearing on a TV show was somehow demeaning, and that by appearing in it some people might associate them with it, then he wouldn't have agreed to be in it.
It's similar to Patrick Stewart signing ST/X-Men stuff as opposed to RSA stuff - he seems to spend more time and give more warmth to those of the latter variety which I think is "unfair"...if he finds it so demeaning or boring, why did he do them? He and any guest ought to be enthused about meeting any fan of their's, not their work.

:YAHOO: This is one of the reasons I always make sure people pay before I let him give the guest stuff to sign when I'm an assistant. Nobody's running off without paying on my watch :YAHOO:
I dont think anyone would want to take the auto away with them anyway even if they did get their money back. If a fan did ask for his money back and wanted to give the auto back though, would you allow it? I guess it might depend on the guest. Edited by nicky

The fact that he refuses to apologize for the 'performance' doesn't do much to endear him to me, frankly.
On Wikipedia:
In the 45th anniversary edition DVD release, producer Richard Shepherd repeatedly apologizes for this, stating "If we could just change Mickey Rooney, I'd be thrilled with the movie."[8] Director Blake Edwards has stated in regards to Rooney's yellowface character, "Looking back, I wish I had never done it...and I would give anything to be able to recast it, but it's there, and onward and upward"[9]. In a 2008 interview about the movie, 87-year-old Rooney said he was heartbroken about the criticism and that he had never received any complaints about his portrayal.[10]

I wonder if anyone brought it up at the wkend?

I wouldn't have thought so - to be honest he didn't strike me as someone who would give a measured response to a query like that. As for the part, if it were me I'd consider removing the scenes for a special edition - trouble is, they're just a little too much screen time to easily excise from the film.

I would think if an film actor was of the opinion that appearing on a TV show was somehow demeaning, and that by appearing in it some people might associate them with it, then he wouldn't have agreed to be in it.
It's similar to Patrick Stewart signing ST/X-Men stuff as opposed to RSA stuff - he seems to spend more time and give more warmth to those of the latter variety which I think is "unfair"...if he finds it so demeaning or boring, why did he do them?

You're right, he does seem to - and that was certainly my experience when I met him last, and brought an RSC program. I guess he maybe sees it as the difference between someone admiring him as an actor, or just because he happened to get one role in a genre show or franchise?

There was an example of this sort of thing at the weekend - a guy walked up to David Warner and said "is General Chang still with us?". Warner looked nonplussed for a moment, and then said "Oh, Chris Plummer?? Er... yes, he's doing theatre in New York". I don't think the guy meant anything bad by it at all (and I'm not being negative!) but I guess some actors could come away from that thinking "does he think he IS General Chang? Am I just "Gorkon" to him? What about me as an actor?". I'm not having a go at the guy, I'm just thinking about what might be the actors mindset. After all this is their 'craft', and it must be depressing to feel that you've only achieved one role of any worth in peoples eyes - most likely a long time ago as well.

Am I just "Gorkon" to him? What about me as an actor?". After all this is their 'craft', and it must be depressing to feel that you've only achieved one role of any worth in peoples eyes - most likely a long time ago as well.
I'll assume Sonny was glad when I asked about his adult-film career then. :YAHOO:

Anyway, does anyone have any pics of the Rooney photoshoot?

Edited by nicky

I dont think anyone would want to take the auto away with them anyway even if they did get their money back. If a fan did ask for his money back and wanted to give the auto back though, would you allow it? I guess it might depend on the guest.

I would get them to make their complaint to a pit boss who could take responsibility for the decision.

some men on here apparently even some to like musicals and that's their lifestyle choice

AS my ID was mentioned in the same post if thats a reference to the Jody Prenger request its purely down to the fact that i have a "thing" for her or to put it more bluntly ID DO ANYTHING to **** her.

However if she ever does turn up at a show ill just settle for an autograph.

With referance to the Simpsons signing guide maybe i was being a little snotty and after all the kid in the end paid for an auto off Rooney whereas i didnt.If thats what he wanted signing and he got it good for him.

If George Clooney ever appears i wont be clutching a copy of O Brother Where Art Though?, Good Night, and Good Luck or Syriana...itll be a copy of Return of the Killer Tomatoes so who am i to mock?

Edited by Phantom

some men on here apparently even some to like musicals and that's their lifestyle choice

AS my ID was mentioned in the same post if thats a reference to the Jody Prenger request its purely down to the fact that i have a "thing" for her or to put it more bluntly i would like to **** her.

However if she ever does turn up at a show ill just settle for an autograph.

I didn't even know you'd requested her, it was just a comment to amuse myself more than anything!

To be honest with you I think I'd pretty much agree with your reasonings for making the request!

As regards the Rooneys travelling carnival appearance on the Saturday....

My Fiancee is a collector of Disneyana and took an original Fox and the Hound Lobby card (quite rare now) to Mickey to sign (Mickey provided the voice of the fox incase you were wondering). He was rude and made no comment and showed no enthusiasm when signing, he did not answer her question, give any eye contact or shake her hand. If he was any other bloke and I didn't have other auto's to get I'd have happily knocked him out!

If you don't want to sign or acknowledge certain things you've done, why do them?!

Likewise JC will not sign magazine centrefolds - well it was your choice to get your kit off love... (though I don't know who in their right mind would want such an item anyway).

I just cant abide rudeness, especially when we are expected to pay for the priviledge. Don't they understnd they're lucky to be meeting us - the very people who had a hand in their success by buying in to what they do and buying/watching their work?

Rooney is a horrid little man. I made the comments before the event that I didn't think he'd be that busy - and not just because of his attitude, but because he's done spam all to get excited about. The really popular things over here that he's been involved in seem to be the very things he was turning his nose up at. What a disgusting attitude toward The Fox and The Hound - and its fabulous team behind it and their masterful conductor.

Out of curiosity, did anyone manage to give Rooney an item that he DID approve of? And did anyone have a good experience with him??

Likewise JC will not sign magazine centrefolds - well it was your choice to get your kit off love... (though I don't know who in their right mind would want such an item anyway).

I thought she'd sign the cover, but not the pictures inside? That seems to be a consensus with actresses who've appeared in Playboy (not that I've ever asked for such a thing to be signed)

Out of curiosity, did anyone manage to give Rooney an item that he DID approve of? And did anyone have a good experience with him??

I thought she'd sign the cover, but not the pictures inside? That seems to be a consensus with actresses who've appeared in Playboy (not that I've ever asked for such a thing to be signed)

"Hi Joan - can you please avoid the left nipple when signing this centrefold. Thanks"

I think you're right with most glamour girls, and likewise I've never got an autograph from one, but have seen pictures on some models tables before with stickers covering the rude bits on the photo at the top of each pile, but I beleive JC put a total magazine ban on the weekend, I overhard someone say she will sign the cover if the actual shots of her inside have been removed, which I would have thought defeats the object somewhat.

"Hi Joan - can you please avoid the left nipple when signing this centrefold. Thanks"

Hahaha, like it!!

By the way, does anyone know if she wears a wig?? During the photoshoot she needed to re-style her hair as some came out of place, but she hid behind the screen to do it - dubious I thought. Not that there's anything wrong with wearing a wig, I just wondered.

I would.

Joan was a very hot and naturally attractive lady back in the early 70s particularly in the Amicus movie TALES FROM THE CRYPT pictured here.

3415-18902.gif

By the way, does anyone know if she wears a wig?? During the photoshoot she needed to re-style her hair as some came out of place, but she hid behind the screen to do it - dubious I thought. Not that there's anything wrong with wearing a wig, I just wondered.

99.99% sure she does :( Look up pictures of her recently in a swimming cossie and her hair doesn't look like that lol :YAHOO:

" he didn't look at me, paused for a moment, quickly signed my photo, pushed it away, paused a moment, then pointed down at it and said "a half-hour television show!" in a tone that implied I had comitted the worst offence possible. He then folded his arms and turned his head away from my direction.

I had the misfortune of going to see Micky Rooney last year when he did his one man show (with his wife - who wouldn't get off stage). Both my partner and I were really looking forward to it but apart from the disappointing show which featured his wife more than him - it was his attitude at the signing of merchandise afterwards in the foyer that really put me off - no eye contact - no handshake - no response - no interest - moved along quickly and money grabbed by assistant - i believe family member. I really don't know why this once great star is so moody - does he really need the money that badly as he obviously hates meeting the public. It really put me off going to the event - so glad other stars were more pleasant

Its not really a big deal if a lady in her 70s wears a wig is it ?

If when im 70 and if my current bird is still with me and she looks like Joan did at the wknd ill be a very happy and knackered OAP.

Obv shes had surgery has Joan but it looks fine to me as opposed to what you see on some younger "celebs".

Jordan for instance.

Edited by Phantom

I decided that I was gonna get his auto , because he was Mickey Rooney , not because I loved him in anything . I wangled my money about , decided who I was gonna miss , and went up early on Saturday . I paid my money , picked my piccy , then asked for a pen to write my name on the back of the ticket so he could personalise . The photo lady said he wasn't personalising , so I asked for my money back .

He made it easy for me really , made my mind up quickly - I know he is Mickey Rooney , but can only remember him in National Velvet , looked on IMDB and didn't remember him from anything I liked that he was in .

Then I talked to a guy who'd met him earlier who said he wasn't looking up , wasn't speaking and his auto was a squiggle - and knew I'd made the right decision . I love getting the old STARS , but have to have a reason , have to like them in something or for something , and in the end I couldn't think of a reason to get Mickey .

I have also read on his IMDB page quotes he is said to have made about Ernest Borgnine , who he doesn't appear to like a lot . For Autographica to put him next to Ernest seemed a bit tactless , especially when Ernie was so busy .

All in all , a good £25 saved .