Mickey Rooney photosession

piles

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did spot a big sign next to him saying "The Mickey and Jan Rooney world tour" or something. I guess they see themselves as a package deal? To be honest, I didn't hang around - whenever I think of Mickey Rooney I immediately think of his 'role' in Breakfast at Tiffany's, which (for me at least) leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Can anybody enlighten us to the Mickey Rooney 'incidents'/arguments. We past him in the foyer on Saturday night sat by himself, looking rather depressed. I met him on the Sun morning, and he seemed in an excellent mood. Anybody know what went on Saturday night??

All I know is that Rooney was dead quiet all day on Saturday and he seemed a bit grumpy about it. He was trying to attract people by waving and shouting at them to come over, but there was no queue to form.

I guess he was potentially wound up by having to watch people maintain a long queue from start to finish for both George Kennedy and Ernest Borgnine.

Can anybody enlighten us to the Mickey Rooney 'incidents'/arguments. We past him in the foyer on Saturday night sat by himself, looking rather depressed. I met him on the Sun morning, and he seemed in an excellent mood. Anybody know what went on Saturday night??

He was tired on Saturday, from travelling over. He's an old chap (89 this year), and pretty deaf. A lot of the 'incidents' were his wife having to raise her voice so that he would hear what had to be said. I got the feeling there was a pretty fine line between when this was helpful, and when this left him frustrated. Still, they've been married 35 years!

On Saturday, he started off very much tucked away in the corner behind Ernest Bournine's queue, and this (although changed at lunchtime) seemed to set the tone for the day. His son told me he wasn't used to not being the busiest guest. On Sunday, sat with his wife between him and his guest assistant, he seemed much happier. She worked very hard, particularly helping him with personalisations, and things went much better.

He was tired on Saturday, from travelling over. He's an old chap (89 this year), and pretty deaf. A lot of the 'incidents' were his wife having to raise her voice so that he would hear what had to be said. I got the feeling there was a pretty fine line between when this was helpful, and when this left him frustrated. Still, they've been married 35 years!

On Saturday, he started off very much tucked away in the corner behind Ernest Bournine's queue, and this (although changed at lunchtime) seemed to set the tone for the day. His son told me he wasn't used to not being the busiest guest. On Sunday, sat with his wife between him and his guest assistant, he seemed much happier. She worked very hard, particularly helping him with personalisations, and things went much better.

Thanks Nick I was just curious if everything was ok with him, as I said in earlier post, he was lovely when I met him on the Sunday morning, he was smiling non-stop, and was happy to shake hands and talk.

On the saturday morning when i got there he wasnt really that busy.I remember his wife wanting to go to the toilet but he wouldnt let go of her.He was pleading with her to stay...to me it looked like he was having panic attacks!

hence the photo with his wife was probably the best answer to having a calm Mickey Rooney instead of a panicking one or no shoot at all...heard a few comments about why his wife was there so explained to a few what i had seen the previous hours.

The crewmember(female) that was with him seemed to be a little embarresed at what was going on sat morning....she deserved a medal.Hope she had a better day as it went on.

On the saturday morning when i got there he wasnt really that busy.I remember his wife wanting to go to the toilet but he wouldnt let go of her.He was pleading with her to stay...to me it looked like he was having panic attacks!

hence the photo with his wife was probably the best answer to having a calm Mickey Rooney instead of a panicking one or no shoot at all...heard a few comments about why his wife was there so explained to a few what i had seen the previous hours.

The crewmember(female) that was with him seemed to be a little embarresed at what was going on sat morning....she deserved a medal.Hope she had a better day as it went on.

Mickey and Jan are together quite a lot, they work together most of the time as well. When she is not around he does worrie about her quite a bit, I think in a signing environment he relies on her a lot. it is sweet really.

You will be please to her she did leave the table for a while.

Thank you my day did improve, as did Mickeys. I enjoyed myself on saturday working with Mickey was an experience that i won't forget in a hurry, he has moments of pure brilliance.

In case anyone wonders why he does the fist punching. He has arthritis in his wrists. some people have a strong grip when shaking hands, it can cause him quite a lot of pain.

Edited by joyce

This is what I wrote the day of his announcement for this show:

"I know most people will think it insignificant compared to his Hollywood roles, but I am a big Twilight Zone fan, and was blown away by his performance in "The Last Night of a Jockey." It was the only TZ episode to have a cast of one - Rooney. You know you have a good actor when he can hold the audience's attention single-handedly for half an hour. I am REALLY pleased with this guest announcement and look forward to meeting this legend.

PS. THAK YOU for arranging the photo-shoot!"

Now I regret meeting him and spending £50 on an auto and photo. I had made up a photo I was particularly proud of, showing his intense acting in the Twilight Zone episode. I was wondering why no-one was queuing up for him, so went up to meet him. Did the usual - walk up with a smile and say "Hi, nice to meet you," he didn't look at me, paused for a moment, quickly signed my photo, pushed it away, paused a moment, then pointed down at it and said "a half-hour television show!" in a tone that implied I had comitted the worst offence possible. He then folded his arms and turned his head away from my direction. I was speechless and so took my photo and left. I've met hundreds of celebs in my time, and at worst they were simply too busy or unwilling to shake hands or talk (which is perfectly understandable), but this is the first time I have felt insulted by one. I genuinely felt it was the worst celebrity experience I have ever had, and sadly my photo session is just a reminder of that experience.

Edited by Zagreus

" he didn't look at me, paused for a moment, quickly signed my photo, pushed it away, paused a moment, then pointed down at it and said "a half-hour television show!" in a tone that implied I had comitted the worst offence possible. He then folded his arms and turned his head away from my direction.

With this in mind i wonder how the chap who wanted Rooney to sign his SIMPSONS episode guide got on.

" he didn't look at me, paused for a moment, quickly signed my photo, pushed it away, paused a moment, then pointed down at it and said "a half-hour television show!" in a tone that implied I had comitted the worst offence possible. He then folded his arms and turned his head away from my direction.

With this in mind i wonder how the chap who wanted Rooney to sign his SIMPSONS episode guide got on.

From the sounds of things probably about as well as a lot of people who had items signed relating to his film career!

I think it's possible to be a bit too precious about these things on a guests behalf, at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be associated with TV work then he shouldn't do it, further to that if someone wants to pay their own money to get something they want signed then I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to keep commenting on it. Why not just enjoy reflecting on the conversation you had with him and the signed item(s) you have added to your collection and stop worrying about everyone else!

Edited by Count Fooku

I have to say that over the course of an excellent weekend the only poor experience was my encounter with Mickey Rooney on Saturday. He didn't look as though he wanted to be there and simply signed my photo and pushed it back without even making eye contact.

I heard a number of people complaining about his attitude and he seemed to let himself down a bit - especially when guys like Ernest Borgnine and George Kennedy were being so friendly and making sure their fans had an enjoyable experience to take away (as evidenced by the long queues).

He did seem more chipper on Sunday - but by then the damage had been done....

Im just wondering has anyone ever declined to pay after getting the rude treatment from a guest?

If somebody was rude to me and signed the pic and i hadnt yet paid i dont think id cough up.

Luckily nobody has ever blanked or been rude to me.I thought Bruce Campbell was going to be my first but it turned around after hed finished signing my still and answered my question with a smile and a shrug..and i even asked him THAT question.My future viewings of Evil Dead will not be tainted.Thanks Bruce.

Another question that has always been bugging me is why do certain people do the signings?

Im aware some enjoy it and like to meet fans,im aware some do it because it was the one big job and the money comes in handy plus it must be nice after years in the wilderness to get some recognition again but Joan Collins etc im puzzled by.Shes obv not doing it for need of the cash,shes not promoting anything and from what im hearing she didnt exactly have a ball.Same goes for Mickey Rooney.

I dont get it.

Im just wondering has anyone ever declined to pay after getting the rude treatment from a guest?

As you know you pay before hand.Good question tho!. Would you be able to Demand money back?

On Sunday i paid afterwards every time.

I almost forgot to pay Dave Prowse after the chat,sig and photo.I felt a right berk.

I wouldnt want to cause a scene with a rude guest and thank god everyones been nice but i dunno you save up.,you travel far......it cant be pleasant to get the moody treatment.

The only bad experiance ive had at a show was when i asked a dealer how much something was whilst unknown to me he was doing his sums which he the then snappily informed so.I then told him to stick his product up his behind.All i can say is its a good job it wasnt a lightsabre or a vibrating HP broomstick.

I saw him sign something with The Simpsons on it on Sunday. It was signed without comment.

Mickey Rooney

Great to see another Hollywood 'star' of the old school - BUT, how gruff, grumpy, and rude can you get.

Prior to the show, obtaining a 1st edition copy his autobiography, 'Life is too short', took a a great deal of time, trouble, and money (it was published in 1991).

When I met him and asked him to autograph the book in biro, which I supplied, I was met with 'it's easier to see in this one'; he then scrawled in felt-tip and shoved the book back at me across the table.

Courtesy costs nothing, even if you are 89 - lack of it is certainly not worth £25-a-go.

Another question that has always been bugging me is why do certain people do the signings?

Im aware some enjoy it and like to meet fans,im aware some do it because it was the one big job and the money comes in handy plus it must be nice after years in the wilderness to get some recognition again but Joan Collins etc im puzzled by.Shes obv not doing it for need of the cash,shes not promoting anything and from what im hearing she didnt exactly have a ball.Same goes for Mickey Rooney.

I dont get it.

I think you've pretty much answered your own question - money. I'm not saying that it's always about money and nothing else. But for a lot of the guests, this is now either their main revenue stream, or an increasingly large part of it.

As for Collins, she's probably not as wealthy as people think she is... I'm not saying she's struggling at all, but she has an expensive life and probably not much in the way of regular income any more. Rooney even more so - in all honesty I'm not sure where any large income would have come from for him at any point. And don't forget it's only 2 days work, with a first class flight, and a suite to stay in.

Aside from the obvious one (Patrick Stewart, who's probably worth something around $50m I should think), the example that always leaves me surprised is Anita Dobson (AKA Angie from Eastenders). I would contend that she is almost certainly the single most wealthy individual ever to attend an SM event.

I'm not sure where any large income would have come from for him at any point.

He was a millionaire but since the 30s and 40s were a long time ago and hes been married a few times maybe hes spent up.

As for Joan i assumed she has always been attatched to wealthy men so i thought for her money was never a problem.

I'm not sure where any large income would have come from for him at any point.

He was a millionaire but since the 30s and 40s were a long time ago and hes been married a few times maybe hes spent up.

As for Joan i assumed she has always been attatched to wealthy men so i thought for her money was never a problem.

And don't forget he was nearly made bankrupt in the 70s from gambling debts. Since then I'm not sure what he could have done that would have earned that much money. I think the last thing he did was a bit of Panto in Bournemouth or something?

Collins you're probably right - as I say I'm sure she doesn't get many red bills through the letterbox. But this was probably a good bit of wedge for 2 days work.

Edited by MikeDonovan