Reviews and opinions of the guests...

Its was quick one for me today.

I enjoyed the "Bond " girl talk and although it was a small in attendance it was cosy and despite having a banging headache and hangover i managed to ask Maddeline Smith with a very dry mouth a question about Peter Cushing which was a treat.

I got 2 autos each from "Maddy",Martine Beswicke and Caroline Munro who in particular recognised me as far as noticing that the missus wasnt with me this time which was nice.Caroline was also fascinated with my copy of LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS the Hammer magazine particularly the artwork of herself on the back which she signed and we had a chat about a few things including the Noel Gallagher/Carolines dog story recently in the papers.Caroline has always been one of my fave guests and if she is there next time ill be there again.

I cannot rate the Hammer ladies highly enough... i love them all!

(Please can we have Ingrid Pitt next time as all the ladies said they would have loved to see her at the show.)

As for Dave Prowse he was very interested in my original Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell lobbycard and was very keen when talking about his Hammer roles.I told him i was a fan of the original SW trilogy but my Star Wars fandom had subsided since the prequels and i had begun to appreciate this other side of Dave Prowse recently through HAMMER and he was cool with that.Its 15 years since i first met Dave Prowse and he still is as ever a true gent.

Thats all the people i wanted to meet.I would have liked Joans but id took 170 and that signed Peter Cushing still(dedicated to William but who cares) had to be bought.I saw a few Christopher Lee autos but i was very very suspicious about 75% of them so i didnt bother and the co signed one i was certain was genuine was 150 so that was out.

I liked the intimacy of the hotel and it had a nice ambience but apart from the Cushing auto i purchased nothing from the stalls.I thought id be able to purchase some vintage Hammer stills or even repros but i came up with nowt whereas if i wanted pictures of talent free bimbos like Danielle Loyd or Gemma Atherton id have been sorted.

The signed back cover of LITTLE SHOPPE mag

hamg.th.jpg

Edited by Phantom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick event for us today, Due to bringing kids.

Being Human, was the primary reason for visiting - Russell & Lenora, both wonderful and good to talk too.

:(

Ian Hilditch, great to meet him again - saw him at Hub1 also.

All the guest's were chatty with our kids as well, and that was a big possitive from us.

And as expected - Crew always happy and helpful.

:(

Now the clock is ticking till the next event.

Thank you - Show Masters, Massive Events & CREW. :(

From the McC' Clan........

A much better experience today. I was surprised by how less busy it was in the hall where Autographica was, and later in the Collectormania Midlands hall. Saturday was pandemonium, especially where Autographica was. Enjoyed it much more today.

Joan Collins was more talkative and said briefly said something (positive) about one of the mini-series she did in the 80's called Sins. I was very surprised when I saw that there were only a couple of people queueing up for George Kennedy. Similar with Ernest Borgnine. It was nice seeing Angus Lennie as well.

George Lazenby seemed pleased to see the one DVD sleeve I wanted signed (for an early 70's film he did called "Who Saw Her Die?"), but again he seemed a bit offish. I don't know what Sonny Landham was on this weekend but he was very lively (similar with Ernest Borgnine).

Yesterday I saw Ernest Borgnine helping Mickey Rooney walk to their table. They seemed to be friendly, completely the opposite to what has been said on the web in the past.

At the table with Joan Collins's 8x10 photos was that her husband there yesterday and today?

The Bond Girls talk this afternoon was great. Out of the talks I've sat at that was the best room I'd seen one at. I wish it could have been longer that talk this afternoon. 30 minutes was too short. Joie Vejjajiva did seem a bit shy. My only complaint was the sound. It was hard to hear what was being said sometimes, especially with a noise coming from just outside the room (the Monarch Suite?). I couldn't hear Sylvanna Henriques very well. I could definitely hear Madeline Smith, Caroline Munro, Martine Beswick and Mollie Peters. It was funny when Caroline's mobile kept ringing. Enjoyed the stories they were telling.

That was great getting the Indy guests for this weekend. Enjoyed meeting them. Can Showmasters try and get Karen Allen for Collectormania 15 please.

Lenora Critchlow was worth the wait. Talkative and friendly.

Overall an enjoyable weekend. Looking forward to Collectormania 15 which will be an interesting event, being an established event moving to a new venue.

Over the whole weekend the people I most enjoyed meeting were:

Karen Seeberg

Joie Vejjajiva

Sonny Landham

Lenora Critchlow

and Jonathan Hyde.

Edited by SunSpeed

I was on the cosplay desk all weekend, but we did "shifts" so we didn't miss out on guests.

Matt Lewis & James Payton - Matt was hilarious as always, we discussed the first time I ever met him and the conversation we'd had at the time, among many other things. James was absolutely adorable, please get him again! It was really funny when the "father-to-son" advice started - lick the toad!

Jonathan Hyde - Very funny! He told me he got into acting because his sister used to pull his pants down at parties... :(

Lenora Crichlow - Nice and cheerful, and congratulated me on being crew for some reason...

Russell Tovey - He was glad I enjoyed History Boys (both the film and play) and offered me a Polo. Actually, he did that first and had one himself, so we had our conversation through crunching. xD

took my son as he wanted to meet the 2 too human guest and they were both amazing, i am sure if russell returns in the future he will be dearer than £10 as he had the longest queue all day long. they were both friendly and chatted .

george lazenby was friendly and has a hell of a handshake !

infact all the guests we met were so friendly, it was the first collectamania midlands i have been to, due to ( and no disrespect to previous guests) its line up not as strong as milton keynes or lfcc but the intamacy of the venue and the more relaxed atmosphere was fantastic. hope collectormania midlands and autographica will go hand in hand in the future

had a great chat with sir geoff hirst but didn't see gordon banks... was he there ?

Sonny Landham was great and asked all the Qs I wanted including his adult-film career. He said he had no trouble being treated differerntly and that an actor was an actor but "guys get laid all the time anyway."

Ernest Borgnine was great but seemed a bit hard of hearing.

Ke Hu Quan was nice enough.

Wasnt keen on the venue though for CM, cramped and the carpet felt weird to walk on!

Still not entirely convinced about him taking credit for writing Billy's 'death scene'... :D
What did he say again? It was hard to hear what he saying sometimes with all that rambling.

I then think I peed him off with a question about his likeness rights
Yeah, I noticed he dodged that too. I wanted to ask about his adult-film career and if it was tuff to be taken serously when he broke into feature films - I thought it better to ask him that at his desk.

He basically said that they were discussing the death scene and he suggested not showing the death, and came up with the quote but didn't expect to be taken literally.

It was nice to see some of you yesterday, I was Sonny's assistant and he seemed a really lovely man, a lot of fun to be with and I had a fantastic day. You were all awesome too.

He basically said that they were discussing the death scene and he suggested not showing the death, and came up with the quote but didn't expect to be taken literally.

What quote? BTW when I forst spoke to you asking where he was and when he was coming back I didnt realise who you were till after Stobbs pointed you out. Edited by nicky

What quote? BTW when I forst spoke to you asking where he was and when he was coming back I didnt realise who you were till after Stobbs pointed you out.

I'm falling asleep! Excuse my lack of coherence. He said that he was in a writers' meeting, they were struggling to decide how to kill him. He said that in that meeting he was basically describing that his death scene should be off camera in the way that it was, and could be like "You want blood? Come and get it!" (meaning it metaphorically) but didn't expect the writers to take notice of his opinions about it.

Sorry if I'm still incoherent. 18 hour days for the last two days. Someone with sleep can explain it better.

Hehe, no worries. I did recognise you (and stobbs... and a few others that are on the forum also). You get to know faces after a while.

Much deserved bed time for me now! :D Night.

Edited by Psychosis

What quote? BTW when I forst spoke to you asking where he was and when he was coming back I didnt realise who you were till after Stobbs pointed you out.

I'm falling asleep! Excuse my lack of coherence. He said that he was in a writers' meeting, they were struggling to decide how to kill him. He said that in that meeting he was basically describing that his death scene should be off camera in the way that it was, and could be like "You want blood? Come and get it!" (meaning it metaphorically) but didn't expect the writers to take notice of his opinions about it.

That's right - he recounted an anecdote about some stuntman (or ball player, it wasn't clear) who did something similar in a bar once, and then said he took the idea to Jim/John Thomas and they liked it and used it. Like I say I'm not sure how much I buy into the story, but to be fair Billy's death was probably the most memorable out of the group, so if it's true I'm not surprised he's proud of it. In all honesty Sonny Landham surprised me - I wasn't expecting him to be as gregarious as he was.

By the way, good to meet you and Stobbs.

Anybody ask him about his political career and his, ahem, "colourful" views?
Not that I know of, certainly not in the talk anyway. If anyone knows his assitant will - Psychosis sat with him all day Sat I think. I thought I could get away with his adult-film career (he was asked the same thing on radio he said) and didnt wanna risk more than that.

Sonny Landham was great and asked all the Qs I wanted

Anybody ask him about his political career and his, ahem, "colourful" views?

I did think about it during his talk, but I decided it wouldn't serve any purpose, and would just make him uncomfortable.

• Showmasters Admin

Went in to Autographica about 11am. No queues to get in, just paid at the front table. Very few queues inside either.

Was out of Autographica at 12pm, sat down, had a sandwich, and then as I wanted to get back on the road ASAP, I paid £5 to get in to Collectables at 12.15pm to get David Warner, although I could've got in for free at 1pm.

Now, here's the one thing I found really disgusting. Warner, Lazenby and a few others had both gone to lunch at 12pm. The woman on the cash table knew I'd paid to get in to Autographica, and that I could get in for free 45 mins later, but didn't bother to tell me all the most popular guests had gone until 1pm.

So I just sat on the floor waiting for Warner to come back, something I could've done for free outside.

Can someone please sort out this total lack of communication, AND give me my £5 back? It's bad enough that guests are going to lunch 1 hour after the event opens without being fleeced of my money for the privilege of waiting for them to come back.

Some questions:

1: Did you ask the front desk if David Warners was still signing?

I'm sorry but the people on the door are not psychic. They had no idea why you wanted to come in 45 minutes before the free time, why would they question you? It's not their job to think for you.

If you had asked they would have rung the Pit Boss in that area and asked them. We do not tell the front door when every one of our guests has gone to and come back from lunch. Normally it does not effect anyone and would be a waste of time. If you had asked though they could have found out about the specific guests you wanted.

2: Did you go straight back to the front desk at 12:15pm and explain that you'd just bought a ticket to come in to see David and George and they where both on lunch until 1pm and so it had been a waste of money?

Asking and complaining NOW helps no one and there is nothing we can do about it now. In future please talk to the org booth at the time. We will always look at helping but we can not do that if you don't tell us.

As others have said the show opened at 9am and so them having lunch at 12pm was not exactly out of order.

Not that I know of, certainly not in the talk anyway. If anyone knows his assitant will - Psychosis sat with him all day Sat I think. I thought I could get away with his adult-film career (he was asked the same thing on radio he said) and didnt wanna risk more than that.

Yeah I did. And not on Saturday - a few people mentioned it in passing but there were no questions in detail about his views. Although now that I think about it, one thing is niggling at me.

Ahhh! This wasn't a question about his political views, but Jaosn was talking to him and they mentioned the recession and stuff, Jason mentioned Bush, and Sonny said he thought Obama was to blame too for having unrealistic policies. That was as in depth as politics get - he didn't talk about his own career other than to say that he has one.

Sonny said he thought Obama was to blame too for having unrealistic policies.

Hmmm. I must admit it's probably a good thing I didn't say anything - my views are about as diametrically opposed to his as it's possible to be - and I'm not convinced about his understanding of economics or what the word 'libertarian' means. It would have probably ruined the experience of meeting him, and as I said, I was surprised at how gregarious he was - wasn't expecting that (although for some reason I was expecting him to be about 7 foot tall).

Edited by MikeDonovan

I want to punch my spelling and grammar in that last post.

And yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't agree with that either, but having sat with him all day and having a great time, I let it go straight over my head.

Edited by Psychosis

i'm sorry to hear that Krystal Skull had some problems at the event.

as far as i'm aware we did inform everyone who was wearing an autographica badge or wristband that after 1 they could get in free, obviously this i cannot guarantee as i was not the only one on the desk but i'm pretty sure we did.

as there were two events running together there were a few people who came back to us with queries, mostly those who paid to get into the wrong event and again as far as i'm aware everyones problems were sorted out.

we try our best to give out all the information available to us but unfortunatly we are unaware when the guests go for their lunch or breaks. but please, in the future come back and talk to us as we're there to help with any problems that you have and if we don't have the answer we generally know a person who does.

Now, here's the one thing I found really disgusting. Warner, Lazenby and a few others had both gone to lunch at 12pm. The woman on the cash table knew I'd paid to get in to Autographica, and that I could get in for free 45 mins later, but didn't bother to tell me all the most popular guests had gone until 1pm.
The guests gotta eat and lunch is a good thing to have. Most humans have enjoyed having it at midday since the stoneage.

The "free entry after 1pm if you've already paid for the other show" deal has been advertised here since the beginning as has the 9am opening.

Crew arent expected to know who you wanna meet or when, everyone's different and I for instance didnt meet Lazenby or Warner.

Edited by nicky

No, I was never intending to - I was just impressed that someone like her had been added to the guest-list. if I did meet her it would have been cos I like Dynasty. It was just Borgnine, KHQ and Sonny for me. I wanted to ask whatshisname about Midnight Express/Alan Parker but didnt get the chance in the end - didnt know those guys were in it till they mentioned it in the talk.

Edited by nicky

I'd just like to thank the organisers for a great weekend once again. As ever, I found the signage of CM very useful, and again have suggested that Autographica, who had large format posters of their guests too this year, actually attach them to the walls rather than having them flat on the tables where they cant be seen at busy times. This is something CM always do exceptionally well.

As for the guests, Ian McNiece was a joy to meet, gracious and obliging, and very very busy. he remarked that he thought he was so busy just because he was free, but knowing what I do now, I'd have happily paid the £25 fee that some of the other guests were charging, as he made each fan feel special and appreciated. Mr Rooney and Ms Collins, sadly in my opinion did not as they seemed moody and diva-ish.

KHQ was lovely as was Matthew Lewis too. It seemed to me that the CM guests win the prize for most friendly on the day. George Lazenby being the only slightly rushy one, and no photos or videos is always a bit of a mickey take when paying £20+ for your 10 seconds of time with a guest. Even unposed pictures are better, although I can understand if guests restrict picture taking for health reasons (i.e epilepsy) but feel this is often not the reason.

Thanks again for a great weekend.

I had a fabulous time :) Lenora & Russell were every bit as charming and lovely as I'd hoped they'd be...if not more. I really hope you guys could do a Being Human convention some day, with these guys, Aidan & Tobey. I reckon the show is going to get bigger and bigger and so pleased we got meet them first.

Although the Being Human guests were my main reason for going we went to see a few of the other guests too and everyone we spoke to was really so nice :)

We saw...

Russell & Lenora (d'uh LOL, I gave Russell a pack of polo's :))

Ke Huy Quan - He was really nice, and oddly kind of looks exactly the same LOL :)

Matthew Lewis - as a non potter fan (I know weird there are some lol) I didn't know him that well, but he was super nice and so chatty, my friend came away with a big crush lol.

David Prowse - really sweet guy, happy to pose for pics etc.

Ian Hilditch - was very chatty and seemed nice too.

We went along to all 3 Sunday afternoon talks as well...

Matthew's was great he seemed happy to talk about anything and loved teasing the Potter fans with little bits of info about the forthcoming films :)

Being Human talk - (maybe biased lol) - was terrific and so funny, cannot believe the guy who thought the show wasn't funny! Loved that Lenora & Russell totally called him out on it :P

The Indy talk - so uncomfortable 2 of the blokes looked like they fell asleep on stage, and left all the questions to the other two who sadly despite their best efforts didn't have much to say, I think it could have done with a compère to help out a bit or something! Still a minor thing, the rest of the day was fab :P

Thanks showmasters & crew :o