It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere.

piles

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get the hype going. The first new Dwarf in a decade ^_^:YAHOO::dance:

Wooooooooo ........... Awhoooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just got the theme tune stuck in my head!! :dance:

Lol, it's on tonight? Hopefully I'll be able to watch it, if not I hope it's available online somewhere.

Just re-watched last ep of series 8... forgot how totally smegging awful it was! Wonder if they will clear it up, ignore it, or do another too quick Star Wars style recap?

What happened in it? Quick quick tell me lol, I remember something about a mirror/parallel universe I think and someone was left on the ship as it was about to explode and then it ended very annoyingly.

Got it in one... some virus began eating ship from inside out, the whole crew escaped apart from Lister etc... Kryten set up a thingy that opened a mirror universe, Rimmer went in and got name of the antidote, came back and everyone was gone and ship was on fire... the food dispenser knocked him out with a coke can, then he punched death and ran away.

Random. Saw the alternate ending on my DVD- how much better was that?! It had no cliffhanger, and was classic Dwarf stylie... 10 mins to go!!

I'm a bit bemused... nothing answered from last ep, unless I make guesses, but how do you explain human Rimmer now being old hologram Rimmer again, plus them being back, minus Kris and the rest of the crew?

Wonder what tomorrow brings! Don't like the new girl... And it was a bit short!

Don't like the new girl

That was about the only thing I did like but it was nothing to do with the character!

Lol the girl's nice, found some of the episode amusing but it was a bit of a disappointment to be honest :D hopefully it gets better.

Oh and as Lizzy said, nothing answered from the final episode :D

Edited by Christoff

I loved it! Don't care that they didn't explain anything - RD's always been full of holes! it took a while to get used to the lack of canned laughter but it was the same old characters doing the same old thing - and that lilac number was the best cat costume yet!

I think Katarina will turn out to be something dodgy to do with the leviathan, she'll cop it in the end! This is going to be a long 24 hours....

I loved it. Found it very funny.

Everybodys sense of humour is different

My guess is that because both Doug and Rob had not done season 8, they decided to ignore that season 8 happened. and pick up from Season 7 . To be honest is no bad thing.

Perhaps i am wrong but that is what i believe

Would like to know where Holly is though?

I watched about 10 minuites and ended up changing the channel only to catch David Hasselhof get all emotional over not a quarter pounder this time but some kid singing "somewhere over the rainbow" on Americas Got Talent which i found far more entertaining.

It was that bad and i was looking forward to it an all. I tried but that first 10 minuites was painful and i know you should stick things out to see if things get better but look what happened to those people who hung around on the Titanic.

It appears not only in space can you not hear someone scream ....you cant hear them laugh either.

Edited by Phantom

My guess is that because both Doug and Rob had not done season 8, they decided to ignore that season 8 happened. and pick up from Season 7 . To be honest is no bad thing.

Can't have done as they're on Red Dwarf, not Starbug...

I loved it. Found it very funny.

Everybodys sense of humour is different

Would like to know where Holly is though?

Doug Naylor was involved in Series 8 and to ignore it would be a bad thing because it was really funny.

Edited by Chipwad

Doug Naylor was involved in Series 8 and to ignore it would be a bad thing because it was really funny.

I thought Season 8 was absolute **** - I can understand why they'd want to ignore it. Must admit I don't have high hopes for this new 3 parter... but will give it a watch tomorrow and see.

OK have just seen it.... mixed feelings. It's not a train wreck. But leaving out the laughter track was a mistake - and it does have the feeling of being a bit stretched. Some of the humour is a bit laboured - particularly in Rimmer's case I thought.

As for the new girl, I think she works more or less - and that's a nice costume :)

Just saw the first new ep. Enjoyed it loads Was a bit weird with no laughing but thats something I dont think Id get used to for a whole series at least if I'm honest. There were some classic lines in it such lister ironing his sneezes, that made me laugh out loud! Theyve not made it as a straight out comedy this time which probably doesnt help either! All in all, nice ep and looking forward to the next. I hope its the start of loads more!

• Moderators

I gotta say I was surprised, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. While I was excited for the show coming back, I've tried not to get overly enthusiastic as the quality had dipped before.

I did think the writing was decent, and the actors themselves hadn't missed a beat. All the characters felt right, and there were definitely some funny moments. I'd read about it being more than just a straight comedy, so those more emotional moments etc didn't feel as out of place to me. Same with the lack of laughter track.

But yeah, it will be something that's better judged as a whole, rather than an individual episode. I certainly don't think it was as bad as some thought it was. We all like different things though :thumbup:

Much funnier than anticipated, and a surprising amount of pathos. I suppose they need a protagonist (Katerina) and Kochanski being around would make the dynamic around her very different. Though if they can suddenly sustain two HL holograms, why wasn't Kochanski one of them ? This and sooooooo much is unexplained and debatable, but as someone said, RD has always been full of holes - Lister's double apendectomy springs to mind straight away.

But I do think it has to be judged as a single 75 minutes though- which I think is why I think the EOP and the TBC were so abrupt. Damn those commercial stations !! I'm pretty sure Grant Naylor were offered a commission from Channel Four in the 1980s, but they fought to get it on the BBC because the scripts needed that extra 3-4 minutes.

Anyway - I've always been unsure about Cat - whether it was Danny's acting or the "afterthought" nature of much of the character's dialogue, whatever, but he was amongst the best things in this ep. Some decent lines and his physical presence is the best it has ever been. ("What's my motivation for this scene Doug?" .... "OK Danny - She's just come to empty yer bins, and your dressing gown is caught on the fence post ..... ACTION !")

Robert was superb (casual whistling mode) and Chris and Craig's bunk scenes were the best they have been since Wilma Flintstone. But "Rimmer-being-useless-keeping-watch" was a RD clique best remembered from Back To Reality (still their finest hour) and he may as well have just called it King Kong's first dump of the day. Saying "bigger than god" failed to be dramatic, when the line needed more to be funny.

The Mel Bibby reference was subtle, respectful and completely appropriate, as his contribution to the show was immense.

As someone who devoured Kryten and Lister's intoductions to the Smeg Ups / Smeg Outs, the DVD commentaries, and anything vaguely "new Red Dwarf" over the last ten years, I am delighted that it's on our screens at all. It's a shame we didn't get back to our native BBC2 - massive DVD sales and regular repeats of Red Dwarf, coupled with the comeback successes of Dr Who and Battlestar Galactica (and for that matter Auf Wiedersehen Pet and Minder) obviously were not enough to convince the BBC, since you can't ring in to save Kryten in the Smeg Off, with 50p going to Comic Relief. But back is back ! Telly is a different place now compared to 1999 and if it takes a commercial, non-terrestrial channel to look after us, then that's fine. Two fingers up at the BBC when they get a reminder of what they turned their noses up at.

The show needs (and deserves) some sort of conclusion (which has been denied so many sitcoms and dramas in the past) - it has been very good to a lot of people connected with it. Having said that, I would rather this paved the way for loads more Red Dwarf. It just needs this weekend to re-establish itself on-screen.

I thought Season 8 was absolute **** - I can understand why they'd want to ignore it.

Don't worry. We'll rent some space in a church basement and talk you down

I thought Season 8 was absolute **** - I can understand why they'd want to ignore it.

Lol - are you serious? You really found Season 8 funny?? It was like watching a sniper setting up in a school clock tower.

Lol - are you serious? You really found Season 8 funny?? It was like watching a sniper setting up in a school clock tower.

Certainly did, particularly Cassandra, Pete and Krytie TV. And the finale was epic too.

Edited by Chipwad