Film Premieres

JackAubrey

When security appears is variable. Sometimes there's security from the night before, or from early morning, and yeah sometimes they don't appear until gone lunchtime when they're starting to plan loading the pens. (The barrier guys usually show up and start setting up in the morning.) Tickets being given away to go inside does sometimes happen but I wouldn't say most of the time.

Most of the time the queue actually starts well away from the venue because in front of the venue is where all the barrier/carpet/etc people need to be to set up so when the queue DOES start there it always ends up getting moved.

That's great, thank you for all the info :D

• 3 months later...

Any advice for a first timer? I'm thinking of trying to go to The Hobbit premier. I've read through but any helpful hints would be appreciated, particularly how do I find out which Cinema a it will be at - I know it will be in Leicester Square but the info I've found doesn't say which one it will be at.

I know it's like asking how long is a peice of string but what time would be best to get there and how does the queuing up work?

Thanks in advance.

Any advice for a first timer? I'm thinking of trying to go to The Hobbit premier. I've read through but any helpful hints would be appreciated, particularly how do I find out which Cinema a it will be at - I know it will be in Leicester Square but the info I've found doesn't say which one it will be at.

I know it's like asking how long is a peice of string but what time would be best to get there and how does the queuing up work?

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking about going as well, however I have decided to watch it LIVE, i think Peter Jackson or someone said there would be one.

As much was i want to go, i don't see the point when the chances of meeting one of them is so low, partly also because from what I heard dealers like to be at the front.

I wish you the best of luck though :)

• Moderators

'When to get there' really is a 'piece of string' type question - even experienced premiere-goers are just taking a stab in the dark really at when to show up as it all depends on other people who are also guessing when they'll turn up!

Queuing usually works, well, like a queue. They may give out numbered wristbands allowing you to go off for a while at some point but until then (if it happens) it's just a queue.

Premiers are always a game of chance as to whether you'll get anything or not but when luck does go your way you can have some great experiences and meet amazing people!

Another question: as I'm going on my own would it be acceptable for a friend to spell me for breaks? I.e if they effectively just came over at point to keep my place so I could pop off for toilet breaks? They wouldn't stay for the actual event so wouldn't be queue jumping - just cover me and go before the main event? I wouldn't want to pee off everyone queuing around me and would explain that.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Hobbit premier and whilst I couldn't see anything of the main events or the interviews I was by the cars as they were unloading so managed to get:

Luke Evans

Richard Armitage

Evangeline Lilly

Orlando Bloom

Peter Jackson and

Benedict Cumberbatch.

For my first premier I think I was very lucky and am estatic that I got BC's!

• Like 2

I went to the Hobbit premier and whilst I couldn't see anything of the main events or the interviews I was by the cars as they were unloading so managed to get:

Luke Evans

Richard Armitage

Evangeline Lilly

Orlando Bloom

Peter Jackson and

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Awesome! :D

Luke Evans

Richard Armitage

Evangeline Lilly

Orlando Bloom

Peter Jackson and

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Nice. I'm oh so jelly right now. I'm still a Film Premier virgin but would of gone to this if I could just to see what its all about but unfortunately couldn't make it

But Im very envious of your success and luck nice :thumbup:

Edited by Sassy1988

Luke Evans

Richard Armitage

Evangeline Lilly

Orlando Bloom

Peter Jackson and

Benedict Cumberbatch.

So awesome! One day I will have to do I think! ;)

Luke Evans

Richard Armitage

Evangeline Lilly

Orlando Bloom

Peter Jackson and

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Nice. I'm oh so jelly right now. I'm still a Film Premier virgin but would of gone to this if I could just to see what its all about but unfortunately couldn't make it

But Im very envious of your success and luck nice :thumbup:

This one was a little insane simply because it was such a massive event what with it being the last film - we had to go down on Sunday to queue for numbered bands in order to get in on Monday so it was quite full on. If you wanted to try one, despite the fact that this one worked out quite well for me, I'd advise starting with a smaller one first. Always go expecting to get nothing and hopefully you'll have a good time.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I always go to premieres only hoping to get at least ONE autograph/photo, and anything more is a bonus. So far, I've always come away with at least 3 and sometimes I've done really well but sometimes the few I do come away with don't include my most-wanted person. It's pot luck but I figure if I don't even try then I'll definitely get nothing, so I'm not really risking losing anything except my time.

(I managed to get 12 autos and 2 pics at Hobbit, but still missed Peter Jackson who was one of the few I didn't have already! Going to have to wait for his next project...)

And I'd definitely recommend starting with a small one if you can - Hobbit I arrived nearly 36 hours before and was 450+ in the queue. The week before at Paddington I arrived maybe 4 hours before and was about 40th...

• Like 1

I think the main reason I have never gone to a Film Premier before is the fact I live a good few hours away from London, I'm definitely interested in going to one eventually though.

So thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to try and remember to try a small one first and to go expecting nothing and hopefully get as lucky as you two lol :D

All I really know about these Premiers is that its hard to meet the celebs as there is soo many people there.. so what exactly Is this numbered band thing?

Is it needed to actually get inside the Premier and meet the celebs or is it just to get into the building and you don't need it to meet the actual celebs? I didn't know you get numbered bands so lol

Also, if I got to the event on the day of the actual event would that be wise in order to get one of these bands? or is it best to get one on the day before? Are these premiers usually free? or do you pay to get in? I should really look these things up lol sorry :lol:

• Moderators

The numbered wristbands thing only happens at premieres that are really busy, so that security can manage the queue better and also lets them clear the area for a while during setup as once you have a wristband you can go away for a while. And it's only at really huge prems like Hobbit where they give them out the day before, usually if they have them it's sometime very early on the day (like 7am or so).

Smaller premieres usually either there's just a queue or someone will do an 'unofficial' numbering system with a list of people's names and a sharpie!

It's all just for queue management really, so that it's A: fair, with the people who waited the longest getting first pick of spaces and B: safe. Security don't want anyone getting hurt in a crush!

Almost all premieres are held outside, there is no building to get into unless you win tickets to actually see the film. At a premiere where there are wristbands then you might need one to get into the 'pens' which are the barrier areas next to the red carpet where the celebs might come over and meet fans. But it's all free. It's just a matter of turning up at the right place and waiting, really.

• Like 2

The numbered wristbands thing only happens at premieres that are really busy, so that security can manage the queue better and also lets them clear the area for a while during setup as once you have a wristband you can go away for a while. And it's only at really huge prems like Hobbit where they give them out the day before, usually if they have them it's sometime very early on the day (like 7am or so).

Smaller premieres usually either there's just a queue or someone will do an 'unofficial' numbering system with a list of people's names and a sharpie!

It's all just for queue management really, so that it's A: fair, with the people who waited the longest getting first pick of spaces and B: safe. Security don't want anyone getting hurt in a crush!

Almost all premieres are held outside, there is no building to get into unless you win tickets to actually see the film. At a premiere where there are wristbands then you might need one to get into the 'pens' which are the barrier areas next to the red carpet where the celebs might come over and meet fans. But it's all free. It's just a matter of turning up at the right place and waiting, really.

Ah I think I understand now, thanks for the reply.

Sounds very interesting hopefully I'll be able to experience a Premier soon

Btw I like your avatar Seth Green is awesome :smile:

• Moderators

Thanks, I like my avatar too. I was very lucky to meet Seth and get that pic taken, and it was the cause of my first proper 'flailing fangirl' moment in front of a guest for... pretty much ever.

And prems are much simpler to understand when you're actually there!

Definitely. It seems to me having now experienced the before of 'no clue how it all works' to the post of 'ahh, i see now' that asking about premiers is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. I'm not claiming to be an expert after 1 event but can really see that there are a few variables to how they work depending on the size of the event.

The best piece of advice would be to keep a close eye on official sites for the films for any fan info statements made and main fan sites.

A good way to get info is to stalk facebook and twitter for news. I went to the hobbit one as well and I started watching FB and twitter about 5 days before hand for news and stuff. I was near the stage so I saw everything. Photo's with Lee Pace, Stephen Fry, Martin Freeman, Luke Evans and Aiden Turner so it was pretty good, I arrived 30 hours before hand and got over 500

I did Star Trek as well, I arrived the morning of the premiere, they didn't have a numbering system but I'm pretty sure we were under 100 and I spoke to everyone there apart from Benedict and Zachary.

It really is about how big the fandom is for the movie.

• 4 months later...

Digging this topic back up and hoping for some updated posts, fascinating reading.

I'm heading to London tomorrow to try for the Age of Ultron Premiere, it's my first and while I was excited I'm now dreading it... I hear there are already people camping despite the cinema saying "No Camping Out!"

Wish me luck all. I'll post on my experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It was certainly one of the most insane premieres I've ever gone to, almost up there with the final Hobbit.

Saying that, I also did insanely well (for once I picked a GOOD spot on the barrier!) - got autographs from Joss, RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Andy Serkis and Dave Bautista, and autos AND photos with from Paul Bettany, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo!

• Like 3

It was certainly one of the most insane premieres I've ever gone to, almost up there with the final Hobbit.

Saying that, I also did insanely well (for once I picked a GOOD spot on the barrier!) - got autographs from Joss, RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Andy Serkis and Dave Bautista, and autos AND photos with from Paul Bettany, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo!

Sooo good and so incredibly jealous! Haha :P