Some Help With my Dissertation on Heroes

kirsty_walker_2002

Hi there, I'm a Media Production student at the University of Lincoln in the UK and I'm doing my final year dissertation on Heroes and what makes it so popular in mainstream television. If you wouldn't mind taking just a couple of minutes to copy and paste the questions below and answer them however you feel. It would be greatly appreciated.

Male or Female

Nationality:

When did you get involved in Heroes? And why?

What did you find appealing about it?

Do you think Heroes has lost its appeal since it first began and why?

How is Heroes marketed in your country?

How do you think the show has changed since it first began?

Why do you think this is?

What do you think is to blame for the decline in viewing figures for Heroes? and why?

How do you perceive the women characters in the show? Do you think they are shown in a positive light and equal to the male characters?

Do you participate in outside events for Heroes such as Heroes conventions, Comic Con etc?

Did you participate in the Heroes 360 Experience/ Heroes Evolutions online?

How do you think Heroes compares to other sci-fi shows or films?

Have you always been interested in sci-fi?

If so how long for?

What shows/comics etc influenced you?

What draws you to the Sci-fi genre?

Thank you so much for your time. You will be a great help to me and my dissertation.

Male or Female: Female

Nationality: White British

When did you get involved in Heroes? And why? I got involved in heroes when the first epsiode aired in the uk, and because it looked like somthing new and fun to watch

What did you find appealing about it? That it was so different from the other shows around atm

Do you think Heroes has lost its appeal since it first began and why? Yes i do, and i think its because they never really seem to kill anybody off for good, and death ins hows always causes drama and peopel watch drama

How is Heroes marketed in your country? through adverts?

How do you think the show has changed since it first began? The pace of it got slower then faster, and i also think the storylines have got more in depth

Why do you think this is? because they were changing it to please the audience

What do you think is to blame for the decline in viewing figures for Heroes? and why? That no main characters have being killed off, and because one of the season of the show went really slow, and made people loose intrest

How do you perceive the women characters in the show? Do you think they are shown in a positive light and equal to the male characters? i believe the women characters have strong leading roles, and that they are deffently equal to the males as some of the most liked, well known characters, with best storylines are in fact the female ones

Do you participate in outside events for Heroes such as Heroes conventions, Comic Con etc? Yes

Did you participate in the Heroes 360 Experience/ Heroes Evolutions online? No i didnt

How do you think Heroes compares to other sci-fi shows or films? i think it is very different to the ones that we have avaible to us at the moment

Have you always been interested in sci-fi? yes

If so how long for? probubly since around 2004, mainly

What shows/comics etc influenced you? Buffy, Star trek, angel, firefly

What draws you to the Sci-fi genre? the stroylines, and imgination put into them

Female

Nationality:

English/British

I was waiting for the pilot because I'm a huge fan of Ali Larter.

I'm a massive sci-fi fan, so every aspect of it suited me perfectly. I also loved the cast.

Overall people seem to find the characters less relateable. It hasn't lost any of its appeal to me, it has just changed in various ways.

Not sure - I've seen ads on the BBC.

The show is less contained within its own characters. Instead of being quite introspective about the development of the characters it has become much bigger, e.g. involving the government, national news and such.

What do you think is to blame for the decline in viewing figures for Heroes? and why?

People (not me) find the characters less relateable and the situations less realistic.

How do you perceive the women characters in the show? Do you think they are shown in a positive light and equal to the male characters?

I think the women are shown well. Angela is certainly one of the ones with the master plans and is never shown to be any weaker than her male counterparts. For her age, Claire is precocious and always proving herself to have more guts than anybody, although she is limited by her age and elders (fathers mostly). Tracy is/was in a prominent political position.

Do you participate in outside events for Heroes such as Heroes conventions, Comic Con etc?

Conventions, yes, e.g. Massive Events' Eclipse 1/2/3.

No.

It compares well - it is one of my favourites at the moment.

Yes.

If so how long for?

Since I started watching TV.

Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dark Angel, Farscape (literally - this inspired me in my career!), Ghostbusters cartoon when I was younger, She-Ra and Sailor Moon when I was younger too.

Anything can happen. There are no limits.

Male or Female: Male

Nationality: Irish

When did you get involved in Heroes? And why? Since the show was in development, I was a huge Ali Larter fan, and when I found out she was making an X-Men style TV show I couldnt wait to see it... I had then started to watch the show via download once it aired in the US

What did you find appealing about it? The cast, the characters, the storyline... everything about Season 1 was what I LOVE about a story, be it in a film, a TV show, a book or a comic... Heroes defined exactly what I wanted!

Do you think Heroes has lost its appeal since it first began and why? Yes... a lot of the the characters got screwed over in Season 2, and some of them again in Season 3... after Season 1 there was a notable drop in the quality of the show, that may be partly down to the strike, but I also feel that the show was developed in line with what the writers/producers wanted, when Season 2 started development the show runners stated taking too much of what the viewers wanted to heart.. therefore they tried to do too much and in a way ended up just messing with what they had... With that in mind, I still loved season 2 and 3, but I can see why the general public turned away... During Season 1 I had about 6 or 7 friends who were addicted to the show... now, as Season 3 comes to an end I am the only one left watching it on a regular basis, the rest all gave up between Season 2 and 3...

How is Heroes marketed in your country? I guess so, but I dont watch regular TV so I dont know how...

How do you think the show has changed since it first began? The writing quality dropped.. the powers of some of the characters got too strong and therefore those characters started to be written very sloppily... ie, if something bad happened I was like.. well, why didnt SuperPowerful Peter not stop it before it even happened, or Hiro etc.. those two, and Sylar too became too big for the show and probably should have been written out after Season 1 or 2...

Why do you think this is? I remember reading an article during the start of Season 1 where the writers said that the Season 1 line up of Heroes was just there for Season 1, that all characters were 1 season characters and that for Season 2 they would be introducing new characters to do it all again... The problem was that the show got so big, the cast became uber popular, and so they decided to keep ALL the characters and in a way, the re-wrote most of them... by Season 3, I dont think any of the characters even remeber or know what problems they faced in Season 1... It has all just become so meaningless....

What do you think is to blame for the decline in viewing figures for Heroes? and why? Downloads, DVR, TiVo and a drop in the quality of the show...

How do you perceive the women characters in the show? Do you think they are shown in a positive light and equal to the male characters? The show needs more females... the best characters have, imo, been female... Eden, Charlie, Meredith, Monica, Daphne... etc.. they are all great, and in my opinion, they are better characters than the likes of Peter, Mohinder, Matt, Ando etc..

Are they shown in a positive light, well, the Princess of the world, Clairebear, certainly is...

And as much as I LOVED Hayden in Season 1, I am ready for her to leave the show now...

Do you participate in outside events for Heroes such as Heroes conventions, Comic Con etc? Yes, Comic Con & Conventions...

Did you participate in the Heroes 360 Experience/ Heroes Evolutions online? Yes

How do you think Heroes compares to other sci-fi shows or films? Generally it is much better... The other's that I currently watch are Sarah Connor Chronicles & Dollhouse, and Heroes is much better than them!

Have you always been interested in sci-fi? All my life!

If so how long for? Forever!!

What shows/comics etc influenced you? Buffy & X-Men

What draws you to the Sci-fi genre? The Supernatural aspect of it, the powers, the FX, the sense that anything can happen...

Edited by Phoenix Will Rise

Nationality: Scottish

When did you get involved in Heroes? And why?: A friend suggested it to me and since I am a major Sci-Fi fan I decided to give it a go and absolutely loved it.

What did you find appealing about it?: Again I am a major Sci-Fi fan and so this really was my cup of tea. I love the acting, it really is well done.

Do you think Heroes has lost its appeal since it first began and why?: It did for a while after season 1. Season 1 was just simple amazing about how we first come across the characters, the development of there power(s) and it all leading up to a climax at the end was just imminence. Season 2 was a bit of a let down after how good season 1 was. But this is the fault of the writers in my opinion. Season 3 sort of continued on from Season 2 which would explain why the ratings are not as high as they once were. But when Volume 4 (second half of season 3) started I was just amazed again. It had like a fresh feel and it has been really good again (Been a few cheesy episodes but all in all it feels like the show is heading towards something again.)

How is Heroes marketed in your country?: It is shown on BBC2 I think but I don't really watch it on the tele. I download

How do you think the show has changed since it first began?: This sort of related to what I said before. The quality of the stories the writers produced got a bit crap after season 1 but gladly they are getting good again.

Why do you think this is?: Not sure to be honest but I think some of the original writers left or something.

What do you think is to blame for the decline in viewing figures for Heroes? and why?: Season 2 and the first half of Season 3 is to blame for my opinion. After how good season 1 was it was a bit of a let down.

How do you perceive the women characters in the show? Do you think they are shown in a positive light and equal to the male characters?: Well I would say that they are equal to the male characters and are shown in a positive light. They also play a major role in the outcome of situations.

Do you participate in outside events for Heroes such as Heroes conventions, Comic Con etc? Sadly I have not been able to so far.

Did you participate in the Heroes 360 Experience/ Heroes Evolutions online?: No :poki:

How do you think Heroes compares to other sci-fi shows or films?: This should be how does other sci-fi shows/films compare to Heroes. Heroes is just amazing and one of the best sci-fi series on at the moment in my opinion.

Have you always been interested in sci-fi?: Yep

If so how long for?: Since a very young age.

What shows/comics etc influenced you?: Star Trek The Next Generation. This was one of the first sci-fi series that I ever seen and It really got me into the genre.

What draws you to the Sci-fi genre? Its difficult to put into words I just love how sci-fi series are done. Writers can do absolutely anything in a sci-fi series as long as it entertaining for viewers to see.

Edited by Tanith

Nationality: British

When did you get involved in Heroes? And why? I got involved when godsend had aired in america, I wanted to see Christopher Eccelston again.

What did you find appealing about it? The serialized format, the imaginative story arcs, characters you could sympathize with.

Yes, its one major flaw is that its become too scared to let characters go, so there a lot of deadwood on the show. Add to the fact that series three was weaker because of the clichéd villain. And I also think the character development has gone down hill, for instance Claire has gone from a great character to a whiny teenager. In series one we see Hiro Nakamura as a strong full English speaking mature character, now what we should have been seeing was him progressively getting to that point, but hes still acting the same as he did in series one, and whilst it was fun then, its quickly got old.

How is Heroes marketed in your country? Its shown on BBC 2 but I usually watch it on supernova tube.

Well particularly in series two, it has slowed down, and the story lines (which were well thought out and structured in series one) are a bit all over the place.

It could be that there trying too hard to replicate the success of series one, and what they need to do is sit down and discuss, and take risks.

Its hard to pin that down but for me, I'd have to say Tim Kring. He who has creative control over everything, he makes the decisions. He's obviously made some bad choices, but can he salvage it.

Very much so, its one thing that heroes does well, although I do think Claire as a character is being messed up, I'm finding it hard to sympathies with her.

Yeah I regurly attend conventions such as eclipse and the lfcc.

No I didnt, although I do occasionally read the comics.

Well you cant really compare it to Star Trek or Stargate, although i would compare it to X-Men, Heroes has sort of become X-men's evil step brother, who you want to like, but just kicks you where it hurts.

Always.

If so how long for?

All my life my dad got me into Star Trek The Next Generation when I was a kid.

I'd have to say Doctor Who for this.

Hard to say I suppose its that thrill of seeing the unknown and in many ways experiencing the impossible.

Male or Female:

Female

Nationality:

British

When did you get involved in Heroes?

About 2006. I have my own writing and roelpalying forum which is heavily based on the idea of superheroes and mutant abilities. The US members had been discussing it when it first began there so I knew I needed to watch it too.

A a massive X-MEN fan and spare-time writer in the genre, it was just the overall idea of superhumans and abilities. I've always wanted to see a television show (not cartoon) based on X-MEN, and this was th enext best thing.

It hasn't for me, but overall I think it has for many others. I think audiences are hard to please, particularly with the great first season. I think it's difficult for the writers to please as people will complain it's moved too far from 'ordinary people discovering they have extraordinary abilities', but at the same time would complain if by the end of season 3 it hasn't progressed from season 1.

Not very well at all. I barely see any promotion on UK television or in television magazines. A show like this should be promoted the Hell out of, like all of the Lost promotions I had to endure.

Season 3 has become more fast paced then the slow season 2, but I also think S3 is more fast paced than season 1, as the first 8 episodes of season 1 were slow, in retrospect. Also, the show has become a little more complicated, particularly for new viewers.

Because a show like this needs to evolve and can't have every episode seperate from the others so a new fan can jump in, unfortunately.

Season 2 and the writers strike. Season 2 was slow and the writers strike really screwed the show over.

Most of the women are shown as dispensible. The strongest, Angela and Tracy are also shown less equal to the males.

Eclipse cons.

No.

It's much more entertaining and engaging than other sci-fi shows. In contrast to films, it has more time for character development but less budget for massive effects.

Not 'always'

If so how long for?

Since I was about 10, maybe

Definitely X-MEN and Superman.

The ability for it to be massively imaginitive, for the unexpected to be possible and overall just the ability to be far more creative than more realistic genres.

Edited by Lenatalia

Male or Female:female

Nationality:british

i was obsessed with prison break when it first came out and my friend recomended heroes as he had watched it in the usa when it was aired and said it had that ' my god i need to see what happens next' element to it , i downloaded the first episode but honestly didnt like it then i caught one of the first sylar episodes at a friend house when it was first aired over here and i was hooked. Im a sylar girl through and through i love a good bad guy and sylar is an amazing bad guy

I like the format, you honestly never know what the next episode is going to be about as it jumps all over the place and that makes it very watchable you want to know more and find out more about the charecters, also i think that it has some amazingly well written charecters that propel the show forward, as well as fitting the sterio types, we have the amazing double sided panto villans who send the story and carry the story momma patrelli hrg and sylar are some of the best 2 sided charcters that ive seen i a show of this sorts.

i think season 2 lost a lot of fans and i think there struggling to make it work as they havent really thought the bigger picture out, as soon as they start introducing bigger more fleshed out new charecters they may be on to a winner and if they would remember plot and cotinuity it might help as well. as much as i hate to say ait and i might sound a little mental with it season one was more belivable and you could at least see the story arc season 2 diddnt have a story arc cause of the writers strike ( but it did have an anders so i forgivr thrm ) season 3 far to many story arcs that arnt really going anywhere but worked but how much of that was down to luck is beyond me.

season 1 was bigged up a lot season 2 and 3 not so much.

see question 2up there^^^^

writers strike and not listning to all the fan feed back, now that there starting to i think they can turn it around heroes works on so may levels with the interactive element as well if they listen to the fans they may win us back

all the decent women charcters in the show get killed off, unless theres a stink up and then they just bring em back, im happyer with the charecters in season 3 there are some strong female charecters in this season that werent there in the first 2, sandra has progressed in to an amazing charceter, meridith also came through as a strong charecter and daphnie was a very indipendent charceter which made a change from the very weak charecters in season 1.

angela petrellie has been the one constant throughout the show and is by far the most inflewential female in teh show,

as i said im happyer with the last season the women have held there own if not bettered the men

yes, conventions and fan groups

Did you participate in the Heroes 360 Experience/ Heroes Evolutions online? yes when my laptop of doom lets me i quite like the interactive element

How do you think Heroes compares to other sci-fi shows or films? i think it holds it own it was defenatly the first to utilise the comic book set up well.

Have you always been interested in sci-fi? always, id rather go see sci-fi than anything else

If so how long for? since as long as i can remember one of my earlyest memorys is watching red dwarf with my dad. and my mother is a superman fanatic so its in the blood

What shows/comics etc influenced you? all the dc/marviel univierse, manga anime, anything japan, i open to most influences especially the bad ones

What draws you to the Sci-fi genre? the fact that a lot of it could be real, its only on the limits of how far a person is willing to try and push themself and on the edge of human discovery...

Male or Female: Female

Nationality:British

From the very first episode [though when I first wtached it I was always tird from overtime at work and falling asleep and actually missd the first clearest Sylar appearance in 'Six months ago'. So when the next episode came on and I saw him I was all YUM! and WHAT! that hot guy was in the last episode and I missed him. I waited anxiouslty for the repeat to be shown and cursing myself].

Sylar obviously, and Ilikedhow the show focused as much on the characters themselves and wasn't all about the action.

It hasn't lost any appal to me, it's still my most anticipated show to watch. I even got my family into it.

Just trailers on the BBC and their BBC Youtube account.

I think the second season went off track a bit, but I like where it's going in season 3, especially from volume

4 onwards.

Rushed storylines....ALEJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDRO!

Writers strike and not enough attention paid to continuity.

The Strong women they had in season 1 were killed off, not so strong in season 2 but now season 3 is focusing more on their strong female characters.

Yes.

No.

I prefer it too a lot of sci-fi shows I watch [that's a lot] and I think it has to be my favourite alongside Star Trek.

Always.

If so how long for?

Since birth as my mum and dad watched all those old sci-fi shows and I'd be watching with them. The Only one I have a vague memory of though is Star Trek:TOS. The Earliest full memoris are from watching Star Trek:TNG and other sci-fi showsaroubd that time onwards.

I like shows where they show real life aspects along with supernatural/out of this world things happening alongside them.