SCOTT BAKULA: Who's meeting him and why?

nicky

Scott Bakula  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Scott Bakula

• Yes, I INTEND to go to LFCC and meet him for Quantum Leap OR Star Trek: Enterprise.
    • Yes, I INTEND to go to LFCC and meet him but NOT for QT or ST:E
    • No, I'm not interested in meeting him but AM going to LFCC
    • I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO LFCC.

He's a big guest in the world of sci-fi TV and pretty rare as I understand it and I'm just wondering exactly how many of us will be intending to meet him? He looks to be the biggest guest so far and is rare so well done to SM for finally bagging him.

I'm also trying to see how many Star Trek: Enterprise and Quantum Leap fans there are here as I guess those are the only two things people really know him for (his part in American Beauty was only one short scene I think).

If you're not a QL or ST fan please tell us what show you're meeting him for as it would be interesting to see what other appeal there is for non fans of those 2 shows.

Also please answer the poll truthfully and none of this "I would if I could go so voted "yes" even when it should have been "no" cos I can't" crap. :thumbup::YAHOO:

Edited by nicky

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also please answer the poll truthfully and none of this "I would if I could go so voted "yes" even when it should have been "no" cos I can't" crap. :WINCE:

It's never that easy :D

I'd get him if I was there - no convincers yet - for QL, but I despise Enterprise

First captain of the Enterprise, im definaltly meeting him for his star trek role. Not seen quantum leap (too young for its first run) but I want to check it out on DVD.

Plus it's the best answer to any 'what happens next?' quiz round if you dont know the answer:

'Dr Sam Beckett quantum leaps in...'

• Showmasters Admin

I'll be meeting him for both QL and ST.

I actually like Enterprise.

I took it for what is was with no expectations. I did that because I remembered starting to watch DS9 and I was all "How can Star Trek work on a space station, the whole point is they go places!". But after 3 sessions it became my favorite ST franchise. I loved the more character based story lines.

Compared to some Sci-fi we've been given in the past I thought Enterprise was entertaining to watch and at the end of the day, that's what I want from a Sci-fi show, entertainment.

I'm willing to accept it could have been better and it's a shame they didn't keep on with the "it's all new to us" aspects of the first session that I really liked. Things like the crew not liking the transporters and that they had to think about decompression (even though we know that was just an excuse to get the members of the cast to rub each other in oil :P But that's never a bad thing :P )

Edited by Too Tall

I will be meeting him for Quantum Leap only. Of all the films and TV shows i've loved over the years, that one role has always put him near the top of my list of people I want to meet. The show just wouldnt have worked if it had a lesser actor in the main role.

And with regards to Enterprise....I was very excited when he was announced as the new Captain, and proceeded to hate the show. One of the main reasons I didnt like it was that I think it did absoultely nothing for Bakula. He's an exceptional actor and he just didn't get any variation in that show.

Truth is, I'm not sure - I *may* meet the Count, and if I do it'll be for Quantum Leap, which was a fantastic show. In truth he wasn't the guest I was hoping for, but as Nicky says he's a big guest, and a lot of people are going to be very happy.

I tend to think he's one of these people who have never really fulfilled his potential in his career... he never really got any traction in Movies, probably because people didn't know how to cast him - he's got the action star looks and physicality, but he's never quite hit the gravitas and menace needed for an action role. I'd say he was cut from a similar cloth to Tom Selleck, but somehow Selleck does manage to appear to be someone who would do what he had to do if he had no choice - the Count has never really given that impression, at least to me. But I am surprised he hasn't turned up in more Rom-Coms, or Drama.

I would have liked to have seen him in Mr And Mrs Smith - it was a TV show based around two spies who had to pose as husband and wife - probably the inspiration (or was ripped off for) the Pitt / Jolie film. I suspect he approached the role in a similar way to Timothy Dalton as Bond.

I *didn't* like Enterprise - I liked the concept, and I thought he was a good casting choice. But the show itself went so wrong I just eventually gave up on it. By the time they started thinking about it, and brought Manny Coto on board, it was just too dead to be saved. Personally I blame Rick Berman, and Brannon Braga - they made a huge issue of how they were going to 'reinvent' ST, but in the end, it was the same old stories, the same old tired dramatic ideas, and the same old cliched characters that they'd wheeled out time and again on Voyager.

As for the Jolene Blalock "soapy massage" scene, to be honest I couldn't believe I was watching it. It was completely arbitrary. I mean, she's not hard on the eye, no question there, but that was just so cynical a move on the part of the writers ("ST watchers like T&A! Let's give them another 7 of 9!") it was a big contribution to me switching off. 7 at least got some reasonably decent writing on Voyager - Blalock was just T&A, and to me that was a big backwards step.

as Nicky says he's a big guest, and a lot of people are going to be very happy.
I'll say he's big in the restricted realms of sci-fi TV but not outside of that nor really to the general public. You ask the nearest dumb blonde chick and she'll perhaps think its a Dracula spoof.

I watched some QL back in the day and agree it was a cool show. My fave episode was when he leaped into his younger self as a boy on his family's farm. What happened to the movie? Wasnt there plans?

Four people so far have indicated in the poll that they are meeting him but not for QL or ST. Are they gonna tell us what shows??

Edited by nicky

I'll be meeting him for both QL and ST.

I actually like Enterprise.

Me too, though I feel I'm not allowed the way some people talk about it lol, I've watched all of Enterprise and seen quite a few episodes of Quantum Leap and consider myself a fan of that too :D

What happened to the movie? Wasnt there plans?

Originally he was pitching a revival to the studios when he walked in to Paramount (or who ever they were that week) and instead they offered him Ent. So its possible there may have been more QL if he'd never got Enterprise.

I lasted about 6 episodes - its the only sci-fi series I've ever given up on.

What happened to the movie? Wasnt there plans?

Nothing concrete as far as I know, but I'm surprised it didn't generate a few TV movies. I'm sure it's bandied around every now and then.

a one off to finish the series wouldve been nice, he never did jump home did he?

I may meet him and attend his talk, will see how pricey / busy he is. Not going to be a priority for me.

The few episodes I have seen of Quantum Leap & Enterprise were watchable but neither series grabbed my following.

He was in Clive Barkers Lord of Illusions, though it’s been so long since I watched it I cannot recall if it was any good or if I enjoyed it. It will be going on my rental list to view again