Another Hollywood legend now appearing

Dave Phillips

Big name, and not that I'm knocking this announcement in any way, but can anyone tell me something that you would associate with Mickey Rooney as being the main star or at least significant second actor that was a blockbuster smash. Pete's Dragon, The fox and the hound, and a load of cameo/supporting appearances in movies that don't strike me as being the biggest of the big - Breakfast at Tiffany's and Night at the Museum examples of involvement in famous movies. Words and Music maybe? It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World??

Like I say, not knocking the announcement - there are undoubtedly people who this will appeal to, but I can't think of anything he has been in that I am that bothered about. And that's strange considering the "wealth" of material he's listed as having appeared in on his Wiki filmography...

Edited by lukeowl

Big name, and not that I'm knocking this announcement in any way, but can anyone tell me something that you would associate with Mickey Rooney as being the main star or at least significant second actor that was a blockbuster smash. Pete's Dragon, The fox and the hound, and a load of cameo/supporting appearances in movies that don't strike me as being the biggest of the big - Breakfast at Tiffany's and Night at the Museum examples of involvement in famous movies. Words and Music maybe? It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World??

Like I say, not knocking the announcement - there are undoubtedly people who this will appeal to, but I can't think of anything he has been in that I am that bothered about. And that's strange considering the "wealth" of material he's listed as having appeared in on his Wiki filmography...

Mickey Rooney is a star of the 'Golden age of Hollywood'. His starring roles alongside Judy Garland in classic musicals such as Babes in Arms or his role as Andy Hardy in that series of films, give him massive Hollywood star status. During the 30's and 40's Mickey Rooney was the one of the biggest stars in the world.

If you appreciate real legendary Hollywood talent - you must meet Mickey Rooney.

(PS Dave, that pic you have up there from 'Night at the Museum' would look great if you could get Dcik Van Dyke along to sign it as well!!)

Edited by keithporter23

This is a great announcement, Mickey is one of the true Hollywood greats. When I first visited Hollywood in 1992 he was sat in a restaurant at a table right across from me, but I didn't like to interrupt him, so it will be great to finally meet him.

Well done guys.

I know most people will think it insignificant compared to his Hollywood roles, but I am a big Twilight Zone fan, and was blown away by his performance in "The Last Night of a Jockey." It was the only TZ episode to have a cast of one - Rooney. You know you have a good actor when he can hold the audience's attention single-handedly for half an hour. I am REALLY pleased with this guest announcement and look forward to meeting this legend.

PS. THAK YOU for arranging the photo-shoot!

Edited by Zagreus

You know you have a good actor when he can hold the audience's attention single-handedly for half an hour.
(Slightly off topic): Which is why today movies like Cast Away and I Am Legend cast big name A listers like Tom Hanks and Will Smith who spend most of the movie on their own - it has to be someone you want to watch, can watch and like. Edited by nicky

Are you for reel (real)...

Try... http://uk.imdb.com and tap in Mickey Rooney's name...

and find 'National Velvet' one of the greatest feel good films of all time (perhaps get Liz Taylor at A13...)

and then come back...

Am not a big enthusiast of film stars, spaceflight is my big interest, but I have enough respect to realise that Mickey Rooney is one of Hollywood's greats. I won't be going for his Auto but understand a lot of people will be very happy and thats nice to see, I guess there'll be some great big grins over A13. Well done team and best wishes to all

von Dawson's Express

Excellent guest! He's also appeared in an episode of Murder, She Wrote, but unfortunately that episode is from the 10th season which probably won't be out on DVD here until later this year.

I think it was only a cameo rather than a guest role, but Mickey Rooney also guest starred in an episode of The Simpsons.

I really recommend meeting Mickey Rooney if you are remotely interested in Old Hollywood. His body of work is amazing, he's worked with people like Audrey Hepburn and was close to Judy Garland...definitely a very worthwhile guest.

I met him when he was touring in the UK and he was lovely. He's nearly 90 and he's still working. A legend in my book. :)

Edited by Princess83

• 2 weeks later...