Cocktail Parties

spanielears

Reading the comments from hub 1&2 suggests people who brought a gold tkt for the addit stuff included felt let down by this party mainly due to lack or lateness of the guests.

Any chance of putting the start back a little. This would prob help guests & attendees if not able to travel till Fri afternoon with the busy traffic.

I heard only Kai and Gareth was at this one and the odd person has mentioned Shobivan. First Hub we had John, Gareth, Kai, Naoko et al. It seems to me that its gotten more expensive with less guests there.

Matt was meant to be there, but was late. (The reason I heard was traffic, but that could be wrong.)

• Showmasters Admin

It seems to me that its gotten more expensive with less guests there.

Last year the prices varied throughout the various ME events. The Hub Gold Pass was priced at £175, while only a couple of weeks later the Eclipse 2 Gold Pass was priced at £245.

A decision was made to standardise the price of Gold Programmes to £195 - which is what ALL of the gold programmes for ME events have been throughout this year. (the exception being the BTL event)

You feel that it is more expensive with less guests. However the Hub events are the events that have had the most guests out of all of the ME conventions there have been. The Hub 1 had 4 'main cast' guests plus another 6 guests giving a total of 10, and The Hub 2 had 4 'main cast' plus another 5 guests giving a total of 9.

But then you get events like Eternal Twilight which SOLD OUT the event and had only five guests, practically half the number that were at H2, and H2 didn't even come close to selling the same number of tickets.

I understand that the reception only had a few guests there, but that was owing to circumstances outwith ME's control, and is the first time this has ever happened. Unfortunate, yes, but a once off. And I'm certain Jason, Mark and co. will be working hard to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I don't think it is fair to say that the Hub events are more expensive with less guests considering the fact that there have been a number of main cast at both events and a very large number of guests there in total.

You can hardly argue value for money, when you got 10 free autos at H1, and 9 free autos at H2, and for gold/silver pass holders 6 free photoshoots at each and photo of the guests attending. In comparison to other events this is a lot more that you are getting for your money.

One could argue that both silver and gold programme holders get these things I have listed above. But the perks of the Gold Programmes are the reserved seating (for those that enjoy the talks sometimes this worth all of the extra money), the wine reception with free wine/juice, sweeties and crisps, not to mention there are normally a good amount of guests there to mingle with, you get called first for photos etc., and you get the 'gold pass goodies'.

It's up to those that buy the tickets to decide if this is worth the extra money, the same as for any other ME event.

The events aren't getting more expensive, Hub3 is the same prices as the Hub2 and again, in comparison to other events they always get more guests. As it stands The Hub 3 in October currently has more guests announced than Eclipse 3 does which is in May, and Abrams Inc in August doesn't even have any.

I hope that makes sense.

SJ

xox

Thank you for the detailed explanation, SJ. I didn't feel in the least short-changed at H2, but to know how many guests we had there in comparison to other ME events is most illuminating, and (if truth be told) quite a guilty pleasure. For what it's worth, I find the Hub events completely worth the trek across the Atlantic. :)

• Showmasters Admin

I find the Hub events completely worth the trek across the Atlantic. :)

:lol: WOW that's impressive!!! :lol:

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope H3 is just as much fun for you!!!

SJ

xox

But the perks of the Gold Programmes are the reserved seating (for those that enjoy the talks sometimes this worth all of the extra money)

I wish it would be true reserved seating...

At least in H2 Gold people had the assigned rows, but if you left the talk area (and didn't have a friend nearby who could hold your seat) people took them over.

At H1 we were allowed to reserve our seats with our own stuff, but at H2 it wasn't so (or at least we weren't told if it was).

I sat all Sunday next to a mother&daughter who refused to leave their seats for any reason (not even to go to the loo),

'cause their seats were taken on Sat (even though the daughter actually tried to reserve 'em by sitting on 'em).

They were kind enough to hold my seat... it seems that my crutch is actually an advantage in some way...

-MtS.Tyra, the one who ought to be working now

• Showmasters Admin

To quote from Too Tall's How Things Work! Topic:

We do not allow seat saving. The only exception is if you are attending a Guest Encounter then we will allow you to save your seat by leaving something on it. This applies from 15 minutes before to 15 minutes after the Guest Encounter. At any other time if you leave the hall for more than a 5 minute toilet break please take your belongings with you, definitely no saving seats for 4 or 5 friends.

There IS resevred seating for gold. There are about 4-5 rows sectioned off that no-one ca enter unless they have a Gold Pass. As such these sections have been reserved for our gold passes.

However there is NO seat saving. This was stated in the How Things Work topic prior to the event AND again at the event in your registration pack.

Nowhere do we advertise that having a reserved section for gold passes implies that you will also be able to seat save!

SJ

xox

Can i say i got more out of the drinks reception than i thought because siobahn was lovely and what was worth it for me was my friend meeting gareth and he gave her a hug when i asked so it was good for me.

I do want to say however that i believe the drinks reception could be longer maybe until 9 but this is my only request.

Also thank you to the woman who was topping up the drinks u were the best and i dont think people gave her any credit as she was constantly topping up glasses and i got my fill.

To quote from Too Tall's How Things Work! Topic:

We do not allow seat saving. The only exception is if you are attending a Guest Encounter then we will allow you to save your seat by leaving something on it. This applies from 15 minutes before to 15 minutes after the Guest Encounter. At any other time if you leave the hall for more than a 5 minute toilet break please take your belongings with you, definitely no saving seats for 4 or 5 friends.

There IS resevred seating for gold. There are about 4-5 rows sectioned off that no-one ca enter unless they have a Gold Pass. As such these sections have been reserved for our gold passes.

However there is NO seat saving. This was stated in the How Things Work topic prior to the event AND again at the event in your registration pack.

Nowhere do we advertise that having a reserved section for gold passes implies that you will also be able to seat save!

SJ

xox

I think this is fair though cos why else would you need to save a seat apart from guest encounters or going the loo - I would be really annoyed now after getting early gold if someone jumped my seat while I went to the loo and I'm going to be bringing an old cardie to save my seat when I do feel the call of nature.

Edited by karaoke_krazy

RE: Seat saving and all that

SJ, I did indeed read the "fine print" written by Too Tall..

However... 5 minutes for a bathroom break?!? :D:uhoh: Did you see the queues???? :WINCE::huh:

The mother&daughter who lost their seats... that was the case of child reserving the seats (doesn't that constitute as leaving something on the seat) as mother went to the loo.

I think that people are checking their stopwatches to see when those 5mins are up, and then they move up to those seats.

I seem to recall at least two people being asked to leave from the gold section... I think they were standard ticket holders.

-MtS.Tyra, the one whose seat was held for her bathroom&cigarrette brakes only...

BTW I lost my seat when I went to Kai's intimate encounter :P

• Showmasters Admin

I'm sorry, I wasn't debating the fact that seat saving issues occur.

You stated in your original post:

I was merely pointing out that the Gold Pass Section IS reserved seating as it is RESERVED for gold pass holders only. This is what is advertised, and this is the PERK that I was referring to in my earlier statement.

I was just pointing out that 'reserved seating' by no means meant that by having a gold pass entitled you to being able to save seats any differently to a standard or silver pass holder.

If you have issues with how the seat saving situation is handled it may be worth pointing out in the 'How Things Work' thread that TT reads, as he and ME are the guys who make he changes when people are unhappy with something.

SJ

xox

nobody hate me for this but cant tickets be colour coded or have colour stickers on or sumin then be easier to see those without gold passes

or how about u split the hall into sections like after the gold rows theres a row gap then so on and so on

I'm sorry, I wasn't debating the fact that seat saving issues occur.

You stated in your original post:

I was merely pointing out that the Gold Pass Section IS reserved seating as it is RESERVED for gold pass holders only. This is what is advertised, and this is the PERK that I was referring to in my earlier statement.

I was just pointing out that 'reserved seating' by no means meant that by having a gold pass entitled you to being able to save seats any differently to a standard or silver pass holder.

If you have issues with how the seat saving situation is handled it may be worth pointing out in the 'How Things Work' thread that TT reads, as he and ME are the guys who make he changes when people are unhappy with something.

SJ

xox

Also thank you to the woman who was topping up the drinks u were the best and i dont think people gave her any credit as she was constantly topping up glasses and i got my fill.

Yes! She was really on the ball. My glass was filled the entire time. I had the headache on Sat to prove it.

• Showmasters Admin

nobody hate me for this but cant tickets be colour coded or have colour stickers on or sumin then be easier to see those without gold passes

or how about u split the hall into sections like after the gold rows theres a row gap then so on and so on

It is split into sections. The first few rows are Gold only, marked clearly by A3 signs. There are crew members checking badges and won't allow Standard/Silver passes beyond this point.

At the Twilight event there was a gap, albeit a not a huge one to signify the difference between normal seating and the gold section. And like I said there were crew checking badges, and also signs up so people knew it was Gold only.

I didn't spend much time in the talks at this event due to my ribs and tried to stay away from the big crowds of people, so if I do go in, I went to the back of the hall where I was well away from people so I cannot comment on how the chairs were laid out at H2.

SJ

xox

Yes! She was really on the ball. My glass was filled the entire time. I had the headache on Sat to prove it.

The swiftness of topping up glasses was impressive. I'd say it's partially to blame for my Friday night antics, ha

I went to the back of the hall where I was well away from people so I cannot comment on how the chairs were laid out at H2.

Can't remember if there was a gap but the A3 signs for gold passes were very much in evidence and the crew were very good about checking passes from what I could see, so if people lost their seats it would have been to another gold pass holder and they still would have been able to sit in the reserved gold section albeit that it might not have been in such a great seat.

As for bathroom breaks taking more than 5 mins because of the queues, maybe I just managed to time it right at this event but I certainly didn't see massive queues like we experienced at Hub 1 and think the only time I took more than 5 mins in the bathroom was when I retouched my makeup.

And the seat saving situation was exactly the same at Hub 1 as it was at Hub 2 - it was only allowed for bathroom breaks/intimate encounters. I think that's pretty standard at any event, not just showmasters ones

Edited by vamperstein

• Showmasters Admin

1: Putting the start back would not have really helped (apart from having Siobhan a bit longer).

The most number of guests we "could have had" was 6.

Eve we know was not there until Saturday morning due to work commitments.

Tom was as far as I'm aware originally going to be there but his plans changed and he could not make it until Saturday morning.

Matt got lost on the way and turned up 2 hours late.

Siobhan was slightly late but was there.

Kai and Gareth were there.

It should have been 4 guests at the party which is the number of guests "guaranteed" for the whole event, and you did get 9 guests in total. But due to circumstances beyond our control you got 3 at the drinks party.

2: This is the first and only time we've had less than 4 guests at the drinks party.

It's a shame and we're sorry it happened but it was something that was beyond our control. We'll happily change things (which we've proven) when we see a need but I honestly don't see this as a failing on our part and something that needs a big change to fix.

Edited by Too Tall

What seriously impresses me about the Hub is that we get a free photo for every one of the guests, as well as the actual autographs. It used to seriously annoy me that other Cons let you have a free autograph but charged you an arm and a leg for a compulsory photo on which to put it. One thing I would like (but this is just a wish-list thing) is for us to have an option to have an autograph on one of the actor's personal photos. I love the fact that I have my 'Andy Davidson' autograph from Tom, for instance, but I would love to have one on a picture of Tom Price. And the thought of having a nicely posed picture of Gareth in his 'off-duty' t-shirt and jeans.... :lol:

Excuse me, I have to go lie down now. :whistling:

Edited by Tanarian

• 4 months later...

I do think we Gold Pass Holders have a great time at these Cocktail Parties, and SM/ME and the Crew are great at making sure that the Guests are brought round and introduced to people and the drinks Flow freely. Hub2 was great for my Son as Gareth and Kia gave him his 21st birthday cake and Sang to him, and my Son knew nothing about it and the look on his face was amazing. So if this is your first Hub Convention and you have a Gold Pass you will really enjoy every minute, you don't have to go looking for the Guest Celebs the Crew bring them to you and you introduce yourself. So that way everyone has a chance to meet them and if there is someone you wish to meet and they haven't been brought to you then you let Too Tall know, and he will speak to the Crew Member with them and they will get them to bring them to you. Hope this info Helps, have a great time. julie-t :angel::wub:

What seriously impresses me about the Hub is that we get a free photo for every one of the guests, as well as the actual autographs. It used to seriously annoy me that other Cons let you have a free autograph but charged you an arm and a leg for a compulsory photo on which to put it. One thing I would like (but this is just a wish-list thing) is for us to have an option to have an autograph on one of the actor's personal photos. I love the fact that I have my 'Andy Davidson' autograph from Tom, for instance, but I would love to have one on a picture of Tom Price. And the thought of having a nicely posed picture of Gareth in his 'off-duty' t-shirt and jeans.... :YAHOO:

Excuse me, I have to go lie down now. :D

You can pretty much get an auto on anything!!! If you have a copy of the picture you want just hand that over when getting things signed.