THE WIRE?

Pete E

Hi guys, is there any love for the wire out there.

I love BSG, heroes and the like, but ive recently watched the wire and it is the best show I have EVER, and I mean EVER, seen.

Any chance of getting some guests from this most awesome of shows. People like Dominic West and Idris Elba have been in various over things, so there maybe crossover appeal.

In the mean time, can we get some love for the wire as I fear I am alone.

I love BSG, heroes and the like, but ive recently watched the wire and it is the best show I have EVER, and I mean EVER, seen.

Any chance of getting some guests from this most awesome of shows. People like Dominic West and Idris Elba have been in various over things, so there maybe crossover appeal.

You're not alone - Probably 5 seasons of the best TV ever shown..... :D

You're not alone - Probably 5 seasons of the best TV ever shown..... :P

5 is incredible, but I was more a season 4 man.

The worrying thing is that it seems you and i are the only people who have ever seen it. Whats everyone waiting for????

It is probably the best show of all time, certainly the most authentic I'd say.

You should also watch The Corner, I have a region 1 copy of that but I think it's being released over here in April.

Anyone from the show would get me going to the event.

Cheers dude, ill check it out.

This is truly a sorry state of affairs, as we are all agreed (unanimously) this is the best show of all time, yet it appears only three people on this forum have ever watched it (groan).

My thoughts would be though there would be cross over appeal in getting the wire guys through the door.

Jamie Hector was in heroes (just when it started getting rubbish), but we forgive him.

Dominic West was in 300 and those period dramas on the beeb.

Idris Elba was in American Gangster, 28 weeks later, ultraviolet

Robert Wisdom was in Prison Break (as was the lovely mrs mcnulty)

Andre Royo was in heroes (albeit breifly)

and everybody (slight exaggeration) in the cast was in Oz

Showmasters, please do something, any of these people would be awesome.

It is probably the best show of all time, certainly the most authentic I'd say.

You should also watch The Corner, I have a region 1 copy of that but I think it's being released over here in April.

Anyone from the show would get me going to the event.

Cheers dude, ill check it out.

This is truly a sorry state of affairs, as we are all agreed (unanimously) this is the best show of all time, yet it appears only three people on this forum have ever watched it (groan).

My thoughts would be though there would be cross over appeal in getting the wire guys through the door.

Jamie Hector was in heroes (just when it started getting rubbish), but we forgive him.

Dominic West was in 300 and those period dramas on the beeb.

Idris Elba was in American Gangster, 28 weeks later, ultraviolet

Robert Wisdom was in Prison Break (as was the lovely mrs mcnulty)

Andre Royo was in heroes (albeit breifly)

and everybody (slight exaggeration) in the cast was in Oz

Showmasters, please do something, any of these people would be awesome.

Good news my Wire friends, bbc2 has bought the rights for this and will start showing all the seasons in a few months. Maybe we can find another three people who are interested in, then really put the pressure on showmasters to get some guests from the greatest tv show ever made.

• 1 month later...

I watch the Wire. it is expectionally a great show, i would the actor who plays McNulty to attend a con.

Edited by ringzpm

• 4 weeks later...

Have showmasters ever had anyone who has been on the show?

Never as far as I know (but ive been to pretty much every show for the last four or five years).

I agree with our friend above, Omar would be incredible. But to be honest, I would love to see anyone, and i mean anyone, the cast is soooooo big and every single one of them are legendry.

I noticed that Bunny was in lost, obviously west, elba and hector have done a few other things that people will know. So i think there certainly will be cross over appeal.

Fingers crossed theyll get somebody. If enough people write on this wall :thumbup:.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see some guests from this as well. I've been holding off adding to this until I was able to see finsish watching season 5 as I didn't want to pick up any spoilers.

Now I have though, it would be great to see some of the cast over here for an event. I read on Wikipedia that Clarke Peters who plays Lester lives in the UK so maybe he is a possibility.

I'd love to see some guests from this as well. I've been holding off adding to this until I was able to see finsish watching season 5 as I didn't want to pick up any spoilers.

Now I have though, it would be great to see some of the cast over here for an event. I read on Wikipedia that Clarke Peters who plays Lester lives in the UK so maybe he is a possibility.

No way, he would be amazing. The coolest person around.

Also, as one of our friends further up the thread advised me, the corner is also very very good show, check it out, also generation kill is very good. They may partially fill the whole left by the wire.

I watched the first few episodes of Generation Kill, it was a funny one really while I enjoyed every episode I watched of it, and by rights being a series about war should be more my sort of thing, it just didn't grab me in the same was as The Wire.

I've kind of got a Godfather 2 thing with The Corner, everyone says it's great and on a par with The Wire but there's this part of me that thinks it can't possibly be as good and watching it might tarnish The Wire even though it probably won't!

I watched the first few episodes of Generation Kill, it was a funny one really while I enjoyed every episode I watched of it, and by rights being a series about war should be more my sort of thing, it just didn't grab me in the same was as The Wire.

I've kind of got a Godfather 2 thing with The Corner, everyone says it's great and on a par with The Wire but there's this part of me that thinks it can't possibly be as good and watching it might tarnish The Wire even though it probably won't!

Your right, generation kill and the corner arent as good as the wire. But its not really a like for like comparison.

You have five seasons of the wire to get in with all the characters, learn like them (even the unlikeable etc), really care about the plot how it progresses etc. GK and the C are only what 6 episodes each, so you just dont get to spend that much time with any of the characters.

One of my mates said to me that in an ideally world he could erase any memory of watching the wire, so he could go back and experience it all over again.

Let me know what you think of GK

I think with Generation Kill it was probably more formulaic than The Wire in that each week the main story tended to be resolved with a few longer running things carrying over. The Wire has often been compared more to a novel than a TV show which I think makes it all the more satisfying when the end of each episode maybe just moves a storyline on rather than resolving it. Its only at the end of the season you can look back and see the storyline develop as a whole.

Having only seen each season once, I'm actually really looking forward to going back and re-watching it because I think I will be able to appreciate more of the complex aspects of the storylines second time round.

I think with Generation Kill it was probably more formulaic than The Wire in that each week the main story tended to be resolved with a few longer running things carrying over. The Wire has often been compared more to a novel than a TV show which I think makes it all the more satisfying when the end of each episode maybe just moves a storyline on rather than resolving it. Its only at the end of the season you can look back and see the storyline develop as a whole.

Having only seen each season once, I'm actually really looking forward to going back and re-watching it because I think I will be able to appreciate more of the complex aspects of the storylines second time round.

Definately think it will be a different, but equally cool experience the second time round.

Just waiting for Treme to come out now, next year I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Reg E Cathey is also in the UK, hes playing the morgan freeman character in the stage show of the shawshank redemption, he would be very cool to get :WAVE:.

Showmaster, please lets have some wire people

• 1 month later...

I've also just read on the BBC that Clarke Peters is doing some voice work for some sort o Dr Who cartoon series so there could be some crossover there for Dr Who fans as well.

Another possible is one of the more prominent cast members from the drug crew storylines from the first three seasons is appearing to promote a film at another event. Not strictly a specific signing appearance but at least an indicator he might be willing to do something like this.