Advice for first time visitor

Paul.W

I am looking forward to making my first visit to the show in April, primarily to see Mr Borgnine and Mr Kennedy. Can anyone who has visited previously advise me how long the queues for guests of this calibre could be? Am planning train times from London so need to allow enough time to see them both (and get some pics signed). I know Tony Curtis has been recently - I wonder how long the queue to see him was? Many thanks - am looking forward to one or more additional Hollywood Legends? Anyone in the pipeline I wonder.....

You generally find with Autographica that queues don't tend to get too long even for the bigger named guests. As a general rule I'd always say, as with any event, the earlier you can get there the better chance you have of getting what you want.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone coming away from Autographica not having got the things they wanted because the queues were too long. This event might be slightly different due to the fact it is being run jointly with the Midlands CM event so there will probably be more punters about but I doubt you'll have a problem.

Tony Curtis was pretty busy last time and had a steady queue all day but by the same token it seemed everyone who wanted to see him managed to. I'd also say with the greatest respect to George Kennedy and Ernest Borgnine in terms of star names they probably aren't as big names as Tony Curtis so I'd suspect the queues will be a bit shorter.

• Showmasters Admin

I don't think you'll have to much trouble. Get there for 10-ish and get virtual tickets for them. You may have to wait until mid afternoon for them but I'm sure you'll get them.

If you don't understand the virtual ticket system. Please read the FAQ in the Midlands section (it's linked in my sig too). The same system is used at both shows.

Edited by Too Tall

Thanks for the advice. My train gets to B'ham international at 9.53am and I've booked a departure for 3.20pm. I hope that should give me plenty of time to meet George Kennedy and Ernest Borgnine....if not perhaps I should put my train departue back an hour. Am looking forward to it already.

wow you're not planning on spending long there then! :YAHOO:

are you getting the amazingly cheap £3.30 singles from London? they are just sooo cool! :borg:

you might want to consider leaving a little later, there is still some time until the event and SM might yet announce more guests that you want to see? :lol:

surfy sah xx

• Showmasters Admin

are you getting the amazingly cheap £3.30 singles from London? they are just sooo cool! :borg:

you might want to consider leaving a little later, there is still some time until the event and SM might yet announce more guests that you want to see? :lol:

surfy sah xx

I agree with Sah, also the guys you want will likely be on VTs, and you will need to leave only about 4 hours after getting there. And there's lunch in that 4 hours. I'd defo think about leaving a bit later.

surfy sah xx

Please tell me more about these cheap trains!!

x

Seems I have not given myself enough time then so I'll try and change my return train time. The ticket was £40 return from London, and £10 to change the time. Are you all getting the £35 pass to enable you to see Borgnine, Kennedy and Joan Collins? Once again, thanks for the advice as I would have been disappointed to miss one of the "big three."

I'd also say with the greatest respect to George Kennedy and Ernest Borgnine in terms of star names they probably aren't as big names as Tony Curtis so I'd suspect the queues will be a bit shorter.

I hope their queues aren't too busy. I'm debating what to bring to have signed by George Kennedy and Ernest Borgnine as their autographs are £25 each.

The only queue at the last Autographica at the Hilton last April which I thought was very busy was Luciana Paluzzi's.

Its always best to bring your own cos there's no guarentee they'll have pics from your chosen film and even if they do it might not be one you like. You cant go wrong with mini-posters though I say. Maybe for Kennedy it would be better to get him to sign a pic of him with his Oscar?

Edited by nicky

Do the guests normally have a wide range of photos? Or is it best to bring your own? I'd like George Kennedy to sign a pic from the Boston Strangler.

Like Nicky said best to bring your own to be sure. I would say though Tony Curtis didn't have any Boston Strangler pictures despite having a larger than average size selection available from his other work last time round. Also I didn't have any luck in tracking down either a poster or any 10x8s from any of the usual sources in this country (move market has some vintage lobby cards available I think but they were a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay). You might be able to get something from abroad though.

I ended up having a copy of the Boston Strangler DVD sleeve signed, there are decent sized pictures of both Tony Curtis and George Kennedy on it so it would be suitable for a show like this. Tony Curtis actually ended up signing mine twice after he realised signing in blue on a black background didn't show up as well as it might have done!

The astronauts do lectures but the tv/film stars do not do talks.
Why dont the film guests do talks? It states on the Autographica homepage:

"Most guests are available all day both days for signing, and some also offer talks or Q and A session too. In addition, and where time allows, we also have photo shoots with specific guests, and all of these can be booked in advance."

It doesnt say, "only the astronauts/historical figures do talks"...or is that what they mean by "some"? I know we're not gonna get them to change the format, I was just wondering why they dont do them.

Edited by nicky

• Showmasters Admin
The astronauts do lectures but the tv/film stars do not do talks.
Why dont the film guests do talks? It states on the Autographica homepage:

"Most guests are available all day both days for signing, and some also offer talks or Q and A session too. In addition, and where time allows, we also have photo shoots with specific guests, and all of these can be booked in advance."

It doesnt say, "only the astronauts/historical figures do talks"...or is that what they mean by "some"? I know we're not gonna get them to change the format, I was just wondering why they dont do them.

All I can tell you is that every Autographica I've been to (about 6) only the Astronauts and I think maybe some of the WW2 guests have done talks.

Edited by Too Tall

@ everyone wanting to know about trains:

for adult tickets (I have YPs discount ;)) there are still £14 singles London to Bham for Saturday and on Sunday there are singles for as less as £5 :D

my other tip is that a single from Birmingham New Street to International is only ever about £2 (think £3 ish return?) so it might be cheaper to get sepparate tickets even though you stay on the same train B)

seems alot of the other cheap tickets have gone :( this is why I always buy up the cheap tickets ASAP-have only paid £3.30 Bham to London on Sunday night so even if I don't end up coming home on Sunday or indeed end up having to miss the event (heaven forbid!) I've not really lost anything! :D

@ Paul.W I am surprised you have paid sooo much for your tickets, last time I looked a return was only £26 ! and also I am surprised at the amount of time you have given yourself - next time you come to one of these you might want to allow the WHOLE day and relax with a cuppa if you find yourself with extra time rather than have to dash round and hope that your VT number is called! Also with the fact that SM are adding guests to the line up all the time - Jonathon Ke Quan!! :wub:

surfy sah xx

I did change my Saturday return ticket to 17.20. The £5 singles were only available for the return when I booked (no Young Persons railcard I'm afraid), the early morning ticket from London to Birmingham was quite expensive so for a few extra pounds I'm treating myself and going first class! I'll be there for 6 hours and really only want Ernest Borgnine, George Kennedy and possibly Joan Collins. I hope that will give me enough time? Am not interested in Bond girls or space themes i'm afraid. Sure, if another Hollywood legend such as Jane Russell, Debbie Reynolds appears then I would be delighted!

How do the virtual tickets work? Assuming I book early entry time of 10.30am, once inside do you register at a particular desk for the guest you wish to see and get allocated a virtual ticket on a 1st come 1st served basis?

Edited by Paul.W

there are still £14 singles out going and £5 singles coming back, so that wudda made £19 return? :D never mind, I'm sure you have a full time job and can afford these things where as I am currently on the dole :P

don't forget this event is running alongside Collectormania, you're not interested in looking around there or meeting any of the guests ? :D

VT work as follows:

they are given out at the time the show opens (this is the time the early birds are allowed in, and not when general admission starts). there are sepparate VTs for each guest (though not all guests will have them), given out at the entrance to their Q. the crew member then lets the line fill and can up the number, normally in say batches of 20, as the Q shortens. as you head down the Q, there will be a crew member selling autograph tickets (taking your money :D) with a table of 8x10s to chose from to get your auto on (you can of course bring your own item to get signed :P) if, for example, you get ticket 150, you can go down the Q ANY TIME after this number is called, so, if the Q is up to 170, your number has passed so you can go down. this eliminates any waiting around and allows you to do other things/meet other guests while you wait for your VT number to come up :D

6 hours is a relively long time, however, you want to meet some of the more popular guests at the show and, as Too Tall has said, they will of course take a lunch, which is usually 1hour, and if they are doing photoshoots, this can also take 1hour B) also you have to get to and from the station and Q for your entry ticket (would advise buying in advance to save doing this) but there will still be a Q to get in when the doors open!

hope that helps? if you have any more Qs I will endevour to help you further :P

you may also wish to read Too Tall's FAQ - see link in his signeture :P

surfy sah xx

Just a quick question about the Gold Pass, in the letter I received at the weekend it said there are four free talks included in the price of the Gold Pass but it doesn't say anything about that on the website. Are the talks still included this time round?

@ Count Fooku - have checked the Autographica Website - Gold Pass Section and it doesn't mention talks :blink: think the best thing you can do is to start a fresh topic like "Gold Pass" with "Free Talks?" as the subtitle, that way it is more likely to get noticed and ansered by some one like SM/TT/Dave :lol:

@ Krystal Skull - I have checked the Autographica Wesbite and am surprised to see no info regarding parking in the venue section or the FAQ :blink::P even more surprising, the Hilton Birmingham Met Website does not have any parking details either, not even in their FAQ or site map! :o:huh: but they do list their phone number as 00121 780 4242 so maybe you could call them and find out? then post back B)

surfy sah xx