Fan Fiction Competition Entry

Jodie.rawr

He was trying to fight back, the look on his face told me that much, but it just wasn't happening. He couldn't look after both of us at the same time. The tracker had it easy; just trying to get rid of Edward so he could move on to the main course... to me.

I tried to scream a warning when I saw his glossy white teeth, covered in my blood, gaining inches on Edwards glittering body. Until that moment I'd thought their skins were impenetrable. Edward roared in pain, his eyes widened as the tracker threw him onto the hard floor as though he was merely the equivalent of a child’s doll, and then he grabbed his wounded flesh. Edward turned his head to look at me; his eyes reflected so much sorrow and regret that they made me sob even harder. I wanted to crawl over to him, to hold him close and kiss him for what I now knew for sure would be the final time, but I couldn't move. The only thing I could do was to lie there, in a pool of my own blood, and cry my pointless tears.

He looked at me and time seemed to stop, all my pain evaporated as he mouthed the words "I love you." And then the moment was over. The tracker smiled, grabbed another handful of Edward’s perfect skin, and pulled. And my whole world came crashing down.

I sat up sobbing, screaming Edward's name, my hands were trembling and my head was spinning. The whole of my back was covered in a thin layer of cold sweat and I struggled to regain my usual breathing pattern. Slowly, without warning a pair of iron strong arms circled my waist and pulled me back down onto the bed.

"Bella, sweetheart calm down! Shh my love, it was a dream. It was only a dream."

His velvet voice and soothing words put an abrupt end to my screaming and I turned around in his arms, wrapping myself into his stone like body and buried my face in his cold chest. He had successfully stopped the screaming, but not the sobbing. I continued to cry and he let me; he knew what was best for me; sometimes I thought he knew me better than I did.

He pressed his ice cold lips to my forehead and took a few deep breaths close to my nose; I could feel the warm air escaping his mouth. He knew his smell soothed me and the close proximity to his body seemed to do the trick, after a few moments the sobbing turned into silent tears. He kissed the salty tracks on my cheeks, tasting those tears, and hummed my lullaby softly.

The calming process seemed to last forever to me but in fact the time that elapsed from my screaming fit to my quiet cries had been almost nonexistent. I had come to realise that he had become very talented at soothing me.

Jodie Mortimer, 18

Edited by Jodierawr